Need help with ventilation placement

Hey y'all. This will be my first time growing indoors. I am getting my @Mars Hydro tent setup and I am trying to determine which spot would be best for the filter and fan.

Here are a couple pics of my setup.

Should I set it up in the back corner and run the ducting through the top port? That would cause a bend in the ducting causing a loss of flow, right?

Should I set it up in the middle of the tent where there are ports on either side? There would be no bends in the ducting.

If I put the filter and fan in the back corner, would I place the light underneath them so that the plant in that spot can get the best direct light? If I put it in the middle then it wouldn't be in the way of the light right?

The other option would be to run the fan on the outside of the tent, correct?

I was hoping I could connect the filter directly to the fan for maximum efficiency but my clamp won't get it tight enough. I was going to do black duct tape but I hate the idea of having a bunch of tape residue on my equipment. Any other options to get a good seal without having to use tape? Or stop being stupid about it and just tape the damn things together?

20210327_222233.jpg

20210327_222240.jpg

Hey y'all. This will be my first time growing indoors. I am getting my @Mars Hydro tent setup and I am trying to determine which spot would be best for the filter and fan.

Should I set it up in the back corner and run the ducting through the top port? That would cause a bend in the ducting causing a loss of flow, right?

Should I set it up in the middle of the tent where there are ports on either side? There would be no bends in the ducting.

If I put the filter and fan in the back corner, would I place the light underneath them so that the plant in that spot can get the best direct light? If I put it in the middle then it wouldn't be in the way of the light right?

I was hoping I could connect the filter directly to the fan for maximum efficiency but my clamp won't get it tight enough. I was going to do black duct tape but I hate the idea of having a bunch of tape residue on my equipment. Any other options to get a good seal without having to use tape? Or stop being stupid about it and just tape the damn things together?

20210327_222233.jpg

20210327_222240.jpg
I set up my tent with the fan outside and it works great for me. I'm in a Mars 2'3" X 2'3". My fan is set to a max speed setting of 2 for the auto mode. I was trying to minimize running equipment in the grow space

DSC00203.JPG

DSC00204.JPG

DSC00205.JPG

I set up my tent with the fan outside and it works great for me. I'm in a Mars 2'3" X 2'3". My fan is set to a max speed setting of 2 for the auto mode. I was trying to minimize running equipment in the grow space

DSC00203.JPG

DSC00204.JPG

DSC00205.JPG
Are those intakes at the top sides?

Here's my set up. And no worries about the tape , you want a tight seal all along the duct. My fan is on a shelf outside the room to help with heat. It is set on auto and at the moment is on one . I have never seen it rise above four, and then only in the heat of late spring.

20210327_222233.jpg

20210327_222240.jpg
Yeah just get some tape around it. You can use either port it's up to you really. I'm using the top one in my 2x2. Obviously minimal bends will improve efficieny but you do what you can. My fan is in a box under my tent. Whichever works best for you.

Are those intakes at the top sides?
At the moment they are just a 4" and a 6" elbow used to facilitate passive intake. I have a couple fan options for when I switch to photos.
This is a first tent and indoor for me and I am learning as I go. So far the plants seem happy.

35 Days

DSC00207.JPG

At the moment they are just a 4" and a 6" elbow used to facilitate passive intake. I have a couple fan options for when I switch to photos.
This is a first tent and indoor for me and I am learning as I go. So far the plants seem happy.

35 Days

DSC00207.JPG
Are you able to put the intakes at the bottom? I'm just thinking it's best so the fresh air is drawn in around the plants and then pulled out the top. Otherwise I'd think a lot of the fresh air is just pulled straight out by the extraction without even getting to the plants. If it works, it works but ideally you want the intakes at the bottom:thumb:

Are you able to put the intakes at the bottom? I'm just thinking it's best so the fresh air is drawn in around the plants and then pulled out the top. Otherwise I'd think a lot of the fresh air is just pulled straight out by the extraction without even getting to the plants. If it works, it works but ideally you want the intakes at the bottom:thumb:
My tent (mars) only has a 3" lower port. I pulled the wire slowly on some venting until I was able to reduce the diameter of 4" ducting to fit the 3" hole (pic). I am using that as a passive vent again as I don't want to restrict a 4" fan down to 3". I thought the same at first about pulling the fresh O2 out with the fan. The more I thought about it the less it concerned me. Air is air.

DSC00139.JPG

My tent (mars) only has a 3" lower port. I pulled the wire slowly on some venting until I was able to reduce the diameter of 4" ducting to fit the 3" hole (pic). I am using that as a passive vent again as I don't want to restrict a 4" fan down to 3". I thought the same at first about pulling the fresh O2 out with the fan. The more I thought about it the less it concerned me. Air is air.

DSC00139.JPG
Sweet. Can always use the micromesh windows too. I open one of mine when lights are on to get some extra fresh air coming in.

20210327_222233.jpg

20210327_222240.jpg
Mmm seems like your tent may of been intend for use with air cooled hoods if the ports are in the middle.

Mmm seems like your tent may of been intend for use with air cooled hoods if the ports are in the middle.
What is an air cooled hood?

What is an air cooled hood?
Lol

It is what we old dinosaur growers used with high wattage HPS bulbs used to remove the heat from the in closed reflector area, basically the greater the wattage of the bulb the more heat it produces in the grow room which then equates to do you have suitable ventilation to remove heat to provide a suitable environment for a plant to grow.

I think you might be right. It's the MarsHydro 5x5x6.5 I'm wondering if the design has not changed in a long time or if it's included to accommodate the old brontosaurus'? :laugh: :passitleft:

I think you might be right. It's the MarsHydro 5x5x6.5 I'm wondering if the design has not changed in a long time or if it's included to accommodate the old brontosaurus'? :laugh: :passitleft:
Mmm

It is for running power cords or other needed cords/accessories.
I didn't check first, but expected something adequate for a forced intake. With the larger ports up high a fan on the floor is pushing uphill. Not sure it hurts but is awkward. Its no big deal.

most decent tents come with a few different placed ports. it' s really up to the growers how the the ports are used.
the tent mfgrs have to accommodate a number of alternate set ups.

Back
Top Bottom