Nibec's Single Plant CFL Kalashnikova SCROG

i did one FIM, and im just waiting for her to get about 4" taller, and i'll be putting her into my 3x1.5 foot screen. a monster in the making :)

just snapped some pics of a few stems.. they look pretty cool IMO and wanted to share :)

stem_purp.jpg

stem5.jpg

the newer growth is purple, and the older is green. its been this way since it started.. pushes out purple leaves/stems, then they turn green as they mature. BUt they always keep the pin stripe.

color is a little off on the last pic from the flash, the pin stripes are acutally really dark purple, but unfortunatly the camera doesnt do justice. makes them look more dark green.

Glad to have you aboard, I'm hoping she turns out to be a beautiful monster, seems how she's had such a rough starting life, with my noobishness in dwc.

I took a clone from her, that I have going in soil, so I can do another run with her after this.

subd mate if you dont mind, its good to see another cfl grower, plant looks nice as well, you over come some problem along the way but looks like you got it all sorted.

even looks like the usual suspects are here, lol tesmp ,deege420, im sure their will be others along soon,

have you just got the one plant your doing with the scrog,

yep, one plant. was two, but in the battle before starting my journal, i lost one.

i thought i was going to loose this one too, she was sick.. reaaal sick. no roots (all died, and i chopped off) half the leaves yellow and brown.. the green stuff was all lime and drooped right down.. pretty much laying down.

i did get 2 successfull clones off her before that all went down (as i knew things were going south, and i wanted to save the strain) but, didnt have much need for them after she recovered, and i gave them to a good cause.

since then i have taken one more clone, that i plan to keep as a bonsai mother in soil, so i can have one or two more goes with this strain before moving on to the exodus cheese seeds i have kicking around.

im much more familiar with soil, which is why i plan to keep the mom in soil... then i can always start over easy:)

and yet again, glad to have you along for the ride :)

also, anyone thinking of going kalashnikova.. be prepared... she stinks... and she's super branchy. , good thing shes going into a screen!

In a different post i explain an issue, where my ppm was rising, and i couldnt figure out why.

well, i solved it.

problem, was the ph was rising so quickly, (about .6 or .7 over a 24 hour period) and the amount of ph down i had to use once a day, was adding ppm back to the water faster than my plant could eat its nutrients..

so.. to battle this, i added enough ph down to take it to only 5.8 (instead of 5.2) and normally.. when set to 5.2 it would be at 6.1 24 hours later when i checked it.

well, to my surprise, today, it is again at 6.1 ... so it doesnt seem to matter what i knock it down to, it always wants to return to 6.1 within 24 hours.

im going to let it sit another 24, and see what happens, with no ph down. if she just sits at 6.1 for a extended time, and shows no sign of lockouts... maybe its just ment to be.

On a side note, I'm looking forward to showing my next picture update. Huge amounts of
Growth on both ends . Roots and leaves. I'll wait until the weekend for the photo shoot :)

Well all has been good but I'm starting to get a potassium lockout. So I have to figure out a way to drop my ph a bit.

Will have some pics of her up either tonight or tomorrow :)

Im in! been tossin around making a home made dwc so I will be watching this one to,hell watching so many that its a wonder I have time to grow any myself LOL:cheer:

Hola nibec,
the purple pin stripes are When the climate is dropping to fast with the lights going on or off or when it is in front of a cool airflow .
I always see it with my plants that are in front of the air inlet .
Maybe it isn’t in your case but just saying maybe it is ….
Count me in for a scrog , I never tried one so I will follow you on this trip if I can…

hey casa verde, great tip mate, i never knew that, but i have noticed that on some of my plants when the temps where going to cold when the lights where off, i noticed this on the stem of the leaves, now i know its a sign of stress, worth knowing for the future, thanks

does that by any chance bring out the purple in the purple strains, ive heard you need cooler night temps to bring out the purple, by the sounds of it its the stress that causes the purple, or if its strictly gene related and nothing to do with the temp

I don't think it's temp related in my case, as my
Temps are max 76 an min 70. An those are extremes.

It's typically 70-74

I upped my ppm from 500 to 800, an the damn thing ate 100 ppm last
Night.. Wtf?

Anyways, oh is a stable 5.7 now, so hopefully my potassium lock out clears up.

sorry for my lack of input.. been working 16 hour days, and not much time to do much other than sleep.

anyways, ill be uploading some new pics in about 15 min..

to top everything off, i checked my ph pens calibration, and realized its shot... so, i'v been using my backup PH paper for the time being until i i get a day off to run to the hydro store and get a new pen.

anyways, the potassium lockout is clearing/cleared up, just clipped some leaves that were damaged, and shes lookin good again.. shes eating a lot now.. around 80 ppm daily.

got a fresh batch of tea made.. and just upped her nutes back to 800.

probably go get a ph pen on friday and get everything back to optimal.

sorry for the crappy pics.. in a rush >.<

aprrr.jpg

aprr.jpg

shes just touching my screen now... so root shots will stop after that.. and it will be all her getting tiwsted into a 3 foot by 1.5 foot screen :)

lookin good.. new ph pen, and shes sucking back 70ppm a day now.

anyways, instead of going the carbon filter route, i figured i would try granny's lemongrass oil tactic.. holy crap! it works amazing.

i used to use ona gel, and well, its just damn expensive, and i could still smell my plant(s) through it a little... but i bought 34oz of lemongrass oil from a local store for $70, then put about 1 oz in a small bowl, with the rest water.

and well, lets put it this way... i walk in there, and catch maybe a hint of lemon now.. , instead of the sink from the plant, or the ONA gel.

the ona gel used to be an overpowering thick smell, and you could smell the plant faintly.. this stuff makes it smell fresh, with a light hint of lemon, but not overpowering in the slightest, and yet, the smell from the plant is 100% gone.

depending on how long that single OZ of oil lasts me in the bowl... this might even be 5x cheaper than running a carbon filter like i was going to do.. but the fan was going to cost me $150, and the filter $100.. then replacing the filter every couple years...

anyways... the real test will come durring flower.. ONA did an OK job.. good enough for my needs.. so this should exceed that.. im hoping for damn near 100% odor reduction... but maybe im just dreaming.

happy to report that im no longer having ph swings, and its staying pretty stable wherever i put it. i knocked her from 5.9 to 5.2 yesterday morning, at 840ppm. and as of this morning, er.. afternoon, after adding back the liter of water she drank, shes sitting at 790ppm, with a 5.4 ph.

ppm has been pretty random, dropping 40ppm some days, while close to 100 on others, but, shes looking good, and growing well.

shes bushing out more than up, and hasnt reached my screen yet.. but, shes gained a couple inches in height, and about 4" in diameter over the past few days.

shes a SUPER branchy plant, and im pretty confident that soon as shes tall enough to hit the screen, that it will take next to no time to fill it, as if i lift her up to the screen currently, shes almost taking up half of it.

my lockout issues have come to a halt, and the leaves are pretty damn dark! along with purple stems, and purple veins. im pretty sure its genetics for the darkness and purpleness, and not a overdose on N, or def of anything as shes growing nicely still, and the new shoots look a beautiful light green, and soon as she pushes them out they darken up right away, perky, and healthy looking.

i wont do any picture updates until she touches my screen, however, i think its time for a larger res. my current one is 5 gallons (5 US gallons, 19L of actual water in it) and shes almost touching the bottom with her roots now. Lots of space to go out, but, i have a tub with the same lid size that easily holds 10 gallons of water, that i want to get her in. less adding nutes, and less ph adjusting. probably could get away with leaving her for a couple days if i had to in that res.

i will see how things go for the next week or two, and decide from there if im going to swap the res before flower, or just wait until flower, depending on how big the root zone gets.

the ounce of lemongrass extract im using for odor control, is still going strong, and i'v actually moved it farther away from my fan, so it doesnt get used up as fast, and its still kickin the crap out of the ONA gel i was using, not a single hint of my plant yet. just smells like i just washed the floors with some mr clean lemon! :p cant wait to test it come flower. (even if it only lasts two weeks with an ounce... thats still 15 straight months of odor control for $70.. but from the looks of it... it might be lasting closer to 3.. which would be amazing.)

the one clone i still have of my plant is doing really good too, still sitting in a party cup next to her mom, and is now 6 nodes in... i plan to go plant her somewhere outside and see how she fares. Never done outdoor, but, she was just a backup incase her mom died durring the battle with root rot, so i wont be upset if i loose her. temps are pretty random here, and vary from 55F to 86F (but those care hottest and coldest temps.. typically average 65F to 78F over most of the summer) so.. it might be a little rough for her temp swing wise when it happens.. but... like i said, shes just a backup clone anyways :)

Back
Top Bottom