Northern Lights, Gorilla Glue #4, Amended Soil, Application Of Drought Stress Beginning Week 7 Of Flower Experimental Grow Journal

Leaf Wilt Angle Measurements.

Gardeners Notes;.
"Sounds cool I’m also in, and just to confirm you’re doing a side by side of control GG4 and NL vs 11 day drought GG4 and NL (all other variables the same)? Do you have criteria for success, what % increase in THC?"

My friend in CA asked me kindly about “controls” in my attempt to repeat Caplans drought stress application during flower, and I thought I had gone to great lengths to make the comparisons legit. The control plants would receive normal fertigation while the test plants would undergo drought with 50 degrees wilt causing the stressed plant to produce more THC and CBD in dried floral buds.
Sitting comfortably in the garden this morning I realized the four plants involved in this test are all from different seeds. Blows me out of the water I’m afraid. The test and control plants must be taken as clones from the Mother plant in pairs. The two Northern lights plants look nothing alike, and likewise for the GG#4.
The controls I am presenting are not sufficient to declare this empirically sound. Don’t know if I should kill the grow journal or continue on and gain a better feel for organized posting on this forum. Your opinions are welcome.
Thanks Dave

I agree, continue on. Although if you feel it to time consuming to not get empirically sound results then start again when you have your clones.
Perth, the most isolated city in the world, lol. It's a beautiful place. I have spent a couple of years over there and further up the coast (Karatha) which gets quite warm. Nice to see fond memories of our great sunburnt land.
Best of luck mate! :)

Thanks for all the feedback. If I am not following any normal protocol or courtesy like thumbs up, and watching everyone else progress in their grows its because I aint sure what is normal, geekish,nerdish ect. Not sure about private messaging, how do you know if that person wants private messages. I have no facebook page, or utube channel. Bare with me as I try to get hip. All help would be appreciated.
I have been a flower gardener for around 30 years and a research buff both focusing on academic hard core facts as well as proven (or said to be proven) folk lore as it relates to cannabis cultivation. I use Organic Blackstrap molasses when I make worm tea even though my research has found it to be an inferior fertilizer, as is Kelp and I could go on. My point is I roll somewhere in the middle between empirical investigation and dogma. I believe classical piano music makes my plants more sophisticated and graceful. Please don’t let me be wrong on that.
To make the most out of this embarrassing oversight the best I can figure is to continue on with a more refined set of objectives. The first goal could simply be measuring and recording the daily leaf angle measurements ensuring whether or not that strain will tolerate an 11 day drought and fully recover. Could be we run eight days and hit 50 degrees of wilt, at which point the plant must be rescued, and will the plant fully recover by Flower Day #62 (FD62).
OK

OBJECTIVES;
  • Record turgid leaf angles and observe the daily changes in leaf angle (wilt) during the application of drought up to a maximum of 50*wilt for Northern Lights and Gorilla Glue #4 while also recording control plants for both strains.
  • Attaining 50* wilt will the strains Northern Lights and Gorilla Glue #4 fully recover by Flower Day #62, and if so how long was the recovery period.
I hope this will still be enough to hold your interest in my grow journal. If not best of luck and again I am sorry for the blunder.

Gardeners Notes;
Today is Flower Day #42 and all the girls just received fertigation. NL plant #3 (NL3) and GG#4 plant #1 (GG1) share the East SCROG. Both plants will begin drought application after today. Tomorrow is day 1 without moisture being added, just to be clear. The other two plants (NL2) & (GG3) in this experiment share the western SCROG
I have been collecting data on Leaf Wilt Angles (LWA) for a week with hopes of establishing plant averages. What I see so far is healthy happy plants can range in initial turgid LWA from 45* to 68* at the beginning of their 7th week of Flower. To make things a little easier for myself I identified LWA measurement points on the different plants with small pieces of blue painter’s tape wrapped in an innocuous location along the stems.
I was stirred to performing a trichome inspection today using my 30X jeweler’s loupe after observing with some surprise how few pistols GG3 has atop her pretty flowers. Yikes. All the other girls are sporting fancy white coats of pistols. A full garden inspection was warranted, just “to see what condition my condition was in”. Today’s observations follow below.
Northern Lights;
Plant #1 (NL1) AKA the Palm Tree This plant stunted as a seedling (due I believe to low temps) and although she seemed to recover she never got it together. Looking for a long time like a pathetic lone palm tree on a desert island she was cast out of the grow, but not from the garden. I grow her out in wasted space for her sake, not mine. She is still pathetic but covered in cute little flowers with very few Trikes developed. Please pass along donations to the Gardener. LOL
Plant #2 (NL2) AKA Pretty Girl This plant stunted as well but recovered much better than NL1. She is in full flower and healthy. Grows sun leaves on long sturdy stems out from cola bearing branches grabbing full available light like a radar dish locked on target. I wish we had put up our second tier scrog we call the Cola Net. But I failed to install it. Pruned for a sweet 16 we count 14 Cola’s. Ready to be stressed.
Plant #3 (NL3) AKA Stumpy This plant stunted as well but also recovered much better than NL1. A dark lush full canopy although we had to prop her two inches to capture the SCROG. She was pruned for sweet 16 and we have 16 colas. LWA measurements are a bit tougher but should not be too critical as this plant will not be stressed.
Gorilla Glue #4;
Plant #1 (GG1) AKA Gorilla Girl Awesome looking flowering colas and stacking like no tomorrow. Pruned to sweet 16 we only see 12 colas. Can’t get back at her to well to find my missing flower bracts. Recent back surgery, worse off than NL1 I’m afraid. Thick heavy trichome coverage her Mother would be proud of. She is a picture of health (unshaven) and is ready to be stressed.
Plant #2 (GG2) AKA Frutilla This Queen resides in her own SCROG under a 300W LED and is not part of our experiment. Boasting around 35 Tops she will produce between ¼ & ½ pound of dried cured floral mass we call buds. Beautiful plant she is peach to learn her preferred nute combo. Getting some cotton topping on center cola shoots. Trichomes appear smaller than HPS plants and that should be the other way around. LED buds also usually weigh in heavier than HPS counterparts, while the HPS buds are larger yet less dense.
Plant #3 (GG3) AKA Ninja This plant owes her name to a hard to notice mutation of the Chloroplast distribution mechanisms. Two toned leaves with alternating sides of leaf discoloration. This is less prevalent now than early on or now I have something better to look at than leaves. This plant has very few pistols left on the flowers, much less any white ones. I show almost 30% milked trichomes and we are only at FD42. Could be a fast pheno? When she is ready she is coming down. This will be indicated to us by the mostly milked trichomes beginning to turn amber. Goodnight Irene. She is a control plant in our investigation, if she lasts that long.

Sorry for long notes today

Gardeners notes;
Today was a normal Quench day for the girls (except stress plants) wherein I use a soil moisture probe and if a plant has had a robust uptake of moisture (and nutes) and the medium is fairly dry I will give her a pint of Wormstrap tea. I could swear the two plants not getting a treat today (because of experiment) are staring at me with that look saying ”how bought it big fella”. For the sake of clarity, I will outline how I feed and water my garden normally.
Day 1 (Feed) We fertigate (water mixed with nutes and ph adjusted) with two quarts mixture and wait until after 10 minutes or so and inspect each tray for amounts of runoff. If needed add RO water until runoff observed.
Day 2 (Clean) We clean in garden area (dust, antiseptic spray and wipe everything). Walls, floor, supports and resin shelves, runoff trays, ect, the garden is absolutely the cleanest and most sanitary area of my home. Like they said in the movie “Its clean enough to seat the VM” and that’s clean. Serious about keeping it clean in there. Knock on wood, but pest free last 9 grows in a basement no less.
Day 3 (Quench) We take soil moisture readings and give plants that are dry a splash (1 pint) of organic compost tea. Usually Wormstrap tea following a simple ratio. One gallon RO water, 125 grams of organic worm casings, 2 tablespoons of organic blackstrap molasses mixed thoroughly and aeriated overnight. I only use the tea in flower.
Day 4 Repeat cycle.

The fourth day of drought and the leaves have not increased in LWA, and the test plants look to be very happy and content. Played a bit of Matchbox Twenty greatest hits and the girls jammed thru Bose 301 speakers placed down in the garden. Remember, when the lights go off only classical piano music gets piped downstairs. Beauty rest ya know.

darn my drawing below is not to pretty

Sweet 16 Trim pattern.
sweet 16.png

Gardeners notes;
After eight days of drought the Gorilla Glue #4 test plant has reached the target wilt actually dropping almost 18* in last 24 hours, for a recorded LWA value of 52*. The cultivar has been first, quenched with straight PH 6.0 RO water and kicked back 30 minutes, then fertigated with 2 quarts 10-30-20. Additional RO water was added to get proper runoff levels. Going forward we will try to return this pretty girl to health and vigor. The recovery time will also be recorded.
The Northern Lights test plant also on her eighth day of drought is holding her own and has accumulated average LWA measurements of 15* and looks content, if not just south of happy. We will continue with the drought experiment as planned.
A good thing the Gorilla stress is over as the control plant for the test was flushed today because her harvest is warranted by enough trichomes exhibiting amber hues. She will be taken down on Friday and I will document her weights and all how I go about ensuring the flowers are dried and then cured to be ready for both consumption and long-term storage.
After all plants have been dried and cured, I will be examining the changes (if any) between the stressed plants and their counterpart control plants. The Caplan experiment of course was conducted in a laboratory and mine is in a basement, but we will be looking for increased THC and CBD concentrations. Apart from consumption effect comparisons the gardener looks forward to performing, we also plan on DAB/gram and Simson Oil/Ounce productions. Any other ideas a poor gardener can contrive and perform to evaluate THC and CBD levels (other than sendoff samples for testing) are welcome. The gardener is a disabled Vet and everything is on a strict budget.

Gardeners notes;
The Gorilla Glue #4 cultivar we rescued yesterday during her 8th day of stress, looked pathetic displaying avg. LWA (wilt) of over 50 degrees. After quenching with straight RO, we waited 30 minutes then fertigated normally. After twenty-four hours she is back to her glorious yet wild self with LWA values at or near turgid readings. I am surprised how quickly she bounced back to “Happy” as I checked in on her several times and the changes were easily noticed. An early observation might suggest this strain GG#4 is not very drought tolerant when compared with Northern Lights, and alternately the strain NL seems to be doing well with LWA values almost unchanged from yesterday. With that said it could be stated as NL appears to be more drought tolerant when compared to GG. Todays Trike inspection is lending support to Caplan’s results as we continue our investigation of this of timed drought stress. The trichomes on out NL test plant appear larger and more abundant both on floral and foliar surfaces, and now appear on the branchial structures as well. This is in comparison with our NL control plant producing less visible and smaller trichomes, with only traces on the branchial structures. Matter of fact the trikes on our drought-stricken test plant are the largest in the garden including those under the 300W LED. This is not to suggest we are finished with our investigation or analysis and are drawing any conclusions. Just thinking out loud (and on paper I suppose) trying to not miss clues the plants are giving me.
I will keep you posted.

We are a 25% dryness grower by this chart.
The same harvest after being manicured then dried
Grower A​
Grower B​
Grower C​
by three different growers
Low Extreme​
High Extreme​
Average​
1​
Gross Fresh Weight (grams)​
1000​
1000​
1000​
2​
450​
810​
600​
low 45% manicure​
high 81% manicure​
avg 60% manicure​
3​
86​
259​
150​
low 19% dryness​
high 32% dryness​
avg 25% dryness​
Difference in reported dry weight​
66% less​
300% more​
than Grower B​
than Grower A​
1-The same fresh harvest was used by each grower for processing, gross fresh weight is the same.
2-After each grower performed his manicure the fresh trimmed buds were weighed again.
3-After the fresh manicured buds were dried by each grower, the final dry weight was reported.

Gardeners Notes;
A lot of things happened since last update. The control plant named (Ninja) for our Gorilla Glue #4 test flowered faster than the rest of the garden. As a matter of detail, all three other test plants are still flowering today at Flower Day # 57. The plant was part harvested on FD #52 as follows. We cut off the tops to all growth shoots 5-6 inches above scrog because we have really heavy 2nd and 3rd tier flower bracts we hope will happily benefit from exposure to more direct light. This doubles the work involved but it is fun as heck to do. We will give her another week of this unless Trikes turn too amberish.
The Northern Lights test plant went the full eleven days as outlined by Caplan without actually reaching the 50* LWA, yet at almost 48* she looked tired and thirsty so we rescued her with quenching and fertigation and within 24 hours her visible stress indicators have disappeared and she looks healthy and happy. As mentioned above she is still covered in white flowers (pistols) that are running down all branches and the stalk to the surface level. After final harvest I will check for buds on the dang roots. LOL. The Trikes appear larger and more densely packed using 30X magnification when compared to her control plants. This is very encouraging, and even mouthwatering while being close enough to use the jewelers rouge. We have returned her to a normal flowering diet and will monitor pistol discoloration and retraction signaling our harvest or part harvest later this week or next perhaps. Her sativa influence is prolonging the flowering time and we look forward to sampling the cured results. Patience I have as jars remain in storage from our last grow (Critical Jack from Dinafem in Spain) allowing my tolerance. I must admit this feels like the countdown to Christmas when I was a child. Love it.
Will post pictures later tonight as my wife has ended my free time she just informed me.

Back
Top Bottom