Oatbakes' Aerogarden White Dwarf + Lowryder First Time Indoor Grow

Re: Oatbakes' aerogarden white dwarf+lowryder first time indoor grow

20120801_181734.jpg
20120801_181713.jpg
20120801_181654.jpg

so both plants are in the same res, did you mix the res liquid up before putting it in the res, i mean did you mix the nutrients up with water before filling the res up or did you add the nutrients neat into the res, maybe this affected the one plant and not the other,

i think we need some hydro grower in here to have a look, ill try and find jandre, he will help im sure.

make sure from now on that you mix the nutrients in water before putting them in the res, if you poured the nutrients in the res after the water then this could of created a strong mixture at one part of the res till it was all mixed up, ill try and see what i can do for you.

if both plants are in the same res then the problem might not be over nute, unless you poured the nutes neat into the res,

i did just put a nip straight into the res, and that plant is in the forefront of the entry. so if it says i need 7ml for 1 ltr, how much should i use? 2ml?

now looking at the pics, it looks to me like a light problem, maybe the light was to close, raise the light and give it a day or 2 to recover, im not sure that the problem you have is with nutrients now i have looked at the pics,

what you think fish cake, does it look more like a light issue than nutrient issue

if both plants are in the same res, you are growing in water arent you and not in soil pots, i get confused with all these journals, if your growing in seperate pots and soil let me know, if its hydro or aero cloner then let us know and we will do what we can to help, i dont think its a nutrient problem anymore, im thinking more like a light problem, the light to close maybe, jandre is the man to ask, ill send him the link to your journal and see what he says

and should i change the water right away with just water? or with some nutes?

7ml per litre seems a lot to me, but im not sure on the nutes your using, with bpn it says add 5ml per gallon so that would be only slightly over 1ml per litre, so double check the doses and make sure you read it right, if it is right then do what you just said and use it at a weaker strength, so if it is 7 then try with 2ml, then if the plant is ok and not showing stress then slowly up the dose each time you change the res, its best if you mix the nutrients up seperate to the res then add the mixture to the res after its mixed, or you would fill the res with water the leave say 1ltr out and mix that with the nutrients and then add that to the res,

7ml per litre seems a lot to me, but not sure what your using, they usualy mix it to the gallon and not the litre but some do use litres to mix it, so check the dose and make sure its not 0.7 per litre, its hard to get right with these plants, different strains take different strength of nutes, let me find jandre and see what he got to say about this, or teSmp,

im not 100% sure this is a nute problem, it could be that the light is to close, let me ask around for you, but if you think you have used to much nutes then empty and refill with new water and nutes, just use at quater strength till we figure out the problem, changing the res wont hurt anything, just double check the dose and start over with 1/4 strength, so if it says 7 then go with 2ml per litre instead, check it is litre and not gallon, their is just over 4litre to a gallon,

my ph strips are reading ph6.
LOCKOUT!! You're hydro, from what I see by the Aero Grow... Lower pH to 5.5 and pray....

Also, what is your water temp?

It's not a problem with the lights being too close, as the damage is all the way down...

Water temp? im not sure. i havent got a water therm.. i guess i thought it would idle just under my air temp. as far as ph goes, i should mention im using strips rather than a digital metre.

ive changed the water for new spring water and ive severely reduced the nutes. 6ml used instead of the recommended 21ml. fingers crossed til the morning

and just to clear it all up YES it is an aerogarden so both plants are in the same res. and i cant thank you all enough for all your wisdom, helping out a NEWB like me.

why did i ever mess with an aerogrow! if only i'd found this forum first. PLANTS WANT SOIL!

why did i ever mess with an aerogrow! if only i'd found this forum first. PLANTS WANT SOIL!

soil is a great start, Ihave not made it to hydro and I know its a little harder then it looks.
their not dead yet so fight the good fight and we or I will wish you luck:)

Well I am glad others are helping because I am lost when it comes to hydro

Good Luck!

definatly a problem with the contents of the rez

i would make a fresh batch of water with 1/4 strength nutes and micros and make sure you set the PH to 5.5 as Jandre says.

what are you using to buffer the rez?

what should he be using to keep it stable Jandre?
is this any good?

No... if he has a problem with microbes already, which I suspect as well as lockout, the LAST thing you want to add is more microbes.

pH up and pH down are cheap, and stable... Vinegar works to lower....for a day. Lemon juice works to lower...but can KILL CANNABIS! Baking Soda works to raise...but is very-very temporary, and harsh on pond pumps.

pH up and pH down are cheap, easy to get, and work for an elongated amount of time. However, in the small reservoir presented by the Aerogarden, pH will still need to be adjusted at least every 2 days to keep it in range. There's just no two ways about that.

soil is a great start, Ihave not made it to hydro and I know its a little harder then it looks.
their not dead yet so fight the good fight and we or I will wish you luck:)

Having grown in soil, and hydro, I can honestly say that hydro is no harder than soil.. it's just different. Some people see different as hard, some see it as a welcome change. I've seen WONDERFUL grows in an AeroGarden. I have one myself. I've grown fruits, peppers, veggies, and herbs, and herb in it... you just have to be on top of it.

Now... As for you pH strips.... donpaul.p can tell you, I absolutely hate the blatant inaccuracy of pH strips. They need to be read at certain temp, and if not at that target temp, your pH can swing wildly off what it shows on the indicator. If the closest strip resolution you can get is .5 pH, the 6.0 color on the strip will show you between 5.7 and 6.3 and you think it's at 6.0 because that's the color it shows......... If you're running 6.3, you're sadly out of range for some nutrients.

My best advice at this point, looking at the two plants... Tell me what color the roots are on the ailing plant.

No... if he has a problem with microbes already, which I suspect as well as lockout, the LAST thing you want to add is more microbes.

pH up and pH down are cheap, and stable... Vinegar works to lower....for a day. Lemon juice works to lower...but can KILL CANNABIS! Baking Soda works to raise...but is very-very temporary, and harsh on pond pumps.

pH up and pH down are cheap, easy to get, and work for an elongated amount of time. However, in the small reservoir presented by the Aerogarden, pH will still need to be adjusted at least every 2 days to keep it in range. There's just no two ways about that.

just to clarify, i had to read the label again, but it seems this is step one of a multipart system for aquariums, i think its other stages that have microbes. i think this is ONLY a carbonate. nothing more than a PH buffer.

just to clarify, i had to read the label again, but it seems this is step one of a multipart system for aquariums, i think its other stages that have microbes. i think this is ONLY a carbonate. nothing more than a PH buffer.

if that's the case, the carbonate would RAISE the pH even more out of range than I suspect he already has. See reply above about baking soda (a.k.a. bicarbonate of soda)

This is used with live fish, the excrete nitrites, and nitrates soon form... -ions making the water acidic and thus the pH drops. A little of the carbonates go in, it reacts with the nitrate/nitrites and thus raising the pH back to tolerable levels.

Back
Top Bottom