Planning my next setup - harvest every 3 weeks?

Alright - I could not wait until this weekend, so I build version 2 of the cloner last night.

I moved to a new setup and two tubs for several reasons:
- I do not have to worry about root length, or how long I let them veg for
- It is easier to control leaks (ie it won't :) )
- I can hold about 12 gallons without effecting the ability to actually spray
- I wanted to move the valve over to the right, so that the connection is in more in the middle
- I was not happy with the amount of nozzles, and the spray pattern

So, here is the new spray bar. I went from 10 to 15 nozzles, but I was unsure if the 396 gph pump would wimp out with that many nozzles. So, I tested it:

IMG_04159.JPG

Looks pretty good, doesn't it? Nice height, nice coverage, nice pressure.

I also tied the evac nozzle down this time with a zip-tie. Should have done that to begin with :) This does give me a nice place for pH and ppm testing. Just open the valve a little bit when the pump runs, and catch it in a cup. It also has a quick connector on it for attaching the hose when I do water changes.

IMG_04169.JPG

This is the inside plumbing, not all that interesting, but you never know what people might need to look at. The first couple of elbows, and the ones outside of the tub are permanently attached with glue so that it won't leak. All the rest of the plumbing, including the spray bar are just fitted together, no need to glue. The connection to the pump is made by using the screw in nozzle that came with the pump, fitting some of the clear tube on it, and inserting the clear tube into the 1/2" pipe. This is pretty snug with no pressure loss that I can see.

IMG_04176.JPG

The spray bar installed. Notice that the spray nozzles are not pointing in the same direction as the one it sits next to. I have no idea if I should keep it off the bottom of the 10 gallon tub or not, but during the test, this gave the best pattern. I guess I can re-evaluated ones I have more roots. The length of the connection pipe is very easily adjusted, and like explained before, not glued.

IMG_04189.JPG

Two inch hole in the bottom of the 10 gallon tub, and the lid of the 14 gallon tub, then it just rests on top:

IMG_04196.JPG

The weak spot of the leak prevention - the level indicator. This is the only hole that sits below the water line. I cut a 15/16" hole, and put in a 1" rubber electrical grommet. I put some teflon tape on the threats of the "funny pipe" connector, then screwed it in. Pretty tight fit and it doesn't leak so far. The other end of the clear pipe just ends under the handle, to keep it from flopping around, and remains open.

IMG_04207.JPG

I also redid the lid because I had a change of heart after seeing how my first few cutting went. I think that I did figure out why they didn't stay green though. It is likely the fan that I had blowing on them 24/7. I read somewhere that they evaporate too much and can't replace the moisture fast enough without roots.

So, about that lid - I choose to do 12 two inch pots for the initial cuttings. I plan on doing 4 strains, so 3 of each strain. After three weeks, I will select the 2 best out of 3 for each strain, and put them in the 3.75" pots. From the 8 that I have to choose from, after three weeks I choose the best one of each strain and promote them to the flower setup. The other will likely be cut up into clones again.

IMG_04215.JPG

Installed, primed, and ready to grow!

IMG_042210.JPG

Please good people of 420, give me some feedback on this !

Am I missing something? Making mistakes? Not thinking it through enough? Anything!

looks nice!... my only question is how are you controlling the water from leaking in the hole from lid to bottom of the top root section? is it just glued? is the hole that your piping is going threw the only "drain" spot from the top to the bottom?
i like the Quick drain/check valve you got there. great work
on the clones.... they like humidity... and don't really need air movement for roots to start.... after they begin than you can introduce a fan.... i would recommend finding a clear dome that would fit over the whole cloner.
love the DIY

looks nice!... my only question is how are you controlling the water from leaking in the hole from lid to bottom of the top root section? is it just glued? is the hole that your piping is going threw the only "drain" spot from the top to the bottom?
i like the Quick drain/check valve you got there. great work
on the clones.... they like humidity... and don't really need air movement for roots to start.... after they begin than you can introduce a fan.... i would recommend finding a clear dome that would fit over the whole cloner.
love the DIY

Hey Shaggie - I could have sworn that I answered you, but somehow it did not post? Anyway, I will type it up again :)

The only hole in the bottom right now is the two inch hole in the middle. That hole also has the pipe going through it, but there is plenty of room around it for the water to drain.

The 10 gallon tub is just sitting on top of the 14 gallon one, nothing glued, so very easily maintained. The bottom tub has the same 2" hole in the middle of the top lid. Both holes line up. Water gets sprayed in the 10 gallon tub, then drains to the resevoir, which is the 14 gallon tub. You want to have the roots exposed to air (out of the water) for 4 minutes, then sprayed for 1 minute. That is why it is important that it drains.

At first I was going to put a 'sleeve' in the two drain hole, but it really is not necessary. If there are a few drops of water on the lid in between the tubs, it drains within the next 20 seconds anyway.

Some much needed new pictures to prove that it does work :)

Lessons learned:
- Do not put a fan on them 24/7 it dries them out. Perhaps use a dome like Shaggie suggested.
- Next time, cut the last 1/3 of the leaf blades off, apparently so they don't sweat.
- Keep the nutrient level below 300 ppm
- Keep temperature of the water between 65 and 70

IMG_04529.JPG

IMG_04495.JPG

IMG_04487.JPG

And yes, I did make another "tent". I just wanted a bit more room, and like to build stuff, even when not entirely necessary :)

nice thanks for confirming what i thought!
+rep on that DIY as well as the lessons learned!

Alright guys - time to do some problem solving. . .

The pH is 5.9 and the ppm is 475. Just put in new water/nutes 2 days ago.

The "problem" is that I am getting "strange" leaves. No idea why they don't look "normal" and one of them is even kinda curled. They are growing like gang busters right now, just looking strange.

Please help me out and let me know what is going on?

IMG_046013.JPG
IMG_046412.JPG
IMG_04638.JPG
IMG_046114.JPG

Hey there so im guessing this is a bit late but a nice project. Those "weird" leaves looks like the plants are revegging had similar leaves on one of my clones I took when the plant was flowering. Let them stay on the plant until it starts getting new ones then you can cut them off! Cool project!

Back
Top Bottom