Previous grow Promix HP

DaveL

Can it be used to supplement the next grow effectively? I'm about to transplant 6 from solo cups to their new homes. I've cleaned it up pretty well, meaning most of the old roots are gone.
I might be a little shy on new stuff and shopping is not what it once was.

You will, at least, have to feed from the start.

Might want to add a soil builder.

Many bake the dirt to kill possible problems.

I've never used ProMix HP, but according to their website it's mostly peat moss and perlite. So shouldn't it be treated as soilless? If so, you should be able to reuse it, but your going to have to feed and water every day.

I’m a promix HP user. I would not reuse it. It has buffers to keep the PH from diving. As peat is naturally quite acidic. I find it slowly gets out of whack over time. Also, if you use chemical nutrients, I’d be concerned of left over salts. Or having to flush them clean, stripping the medium of its buffers.

I’d much rather spend the small amount personally, to avoid taking chances with issues. Just my two cents!

I’m a promix HP user. I would not reuse it. It has buffers to keep the PH from diving. As peat is naturally quite acidic. I find it slowly gets out of whack over time. Also, if you use chemical nutrients, I’d be concerned of left over salts. Or having to flush them clean, stripping the medium of its buffers.

I’d much rather spend the small amount personally, to avoid taking chances with issues. Just my two cents!

I ducked out and grabbed some fresh stuff just as all this virus stuff hit. Some retailers will allow a curb side pickup possibly? Or a small grow shop can hook you up?

No, Promix HP is used like soil. I also use Promix. Almost ready to start another journal, not sure where you are located but I just checked Canadian tire. They have bales and do curbside.

Promix is used like a soil. But is considered a soilless medium. As Canadian promix HP has zero nutrients. Aside from the amendments it uses to buffer PH, it’s an inert medium.

I was also told by premier horticulture, that the Canadian version of HP also has added mycorrhizae.

Promix is used like a soil. But is considered a soilless medium.

100% agreed. I was merely just stating for @BigD13 that it’s treated like soil. With that being said I do mix mine with, worm castings and organic soil. Are you saying the American version doesn’t have mycorrhizae? I didn’t know that. Good to know.

You can rinse it and add buffers. Quick lime for instance or dolomite.You will have to do slurry tests to make sure it ends up at the right pH.
Dolomite is more gentle but slower acting. You would have to have extra prep time prior to planting. The quick is much faster, as the name implies but doesn't stick around as long and can be more caustic if used incorrectly.
It is possible to do but may be more work than some are willing to put into it.
I am reusing mine outdoors with the quick lime option for my veggies. I will also add steer manure or some type of compost.

Just discovered that our garden centers are now open. Should be able to buy some fresh stuff now.
My biggest concern was any leftover residue from ferts. As Johnnie5 brought up. Thanks everyone for your input.

100% agreed. I was merely just stating for @BigD13 that it’s treated like soil. With that being said I do mix mine with, worm castings and organic soil. Are you saying the American version doesn’t have mycorrhizae? I didn’t know that. Good to know.

Apparently there is differences. When I was originally vetting promix. I found American versions that had starter nutrients and had mycorrhizae added in special marked versions. I wanted an inert HP with added myco. So I called premier and they set me straight. Saying their Canadian version of HP by default, has mycorrhizae and no nutrients.

My biggest concern was any leftover residue from ferts. As Johnnie5 brought up.
You can use a rinsing agent like yucca.

Oyster shell also works for a buffer. Slipped my mind earlier. :bong: No idea why. Lol

Back
Top Bottom