Question on daisy chaining

thebigearl

Well good evening all,
I am currently using a mars hydro reflector 190 for my grow, I decided to purchase 2 additional smaller led panels for extra light.

The mars doesn't have the daisy chain feature, the 2 new ones do.
The mars draws 362 watts from the wall and the 2 new ones draw about 140 (each).

My question is, is it ok if I plug the mars into one of the new ones, daisy that new one to the other new one, then plug into wall?

My concern being the mars draws more power, and wouldn't want to cause an electrical issue.

Thanks!

The total draw is 642 so Ohm's Law tells us you'll be pulling about 5.5 amps from the wall if you're using 120V (I rounded up to 650 watts for the calculation):

1546011519421.png

Since those daisy-changed receptacles are wired in parallel, there is absolute no reason why you can't put these lights together in any configuration you want using a single cord to the wall. As long as the total amperage falls under the amperage rating of the circuit (have to take into account everything plugged into that circuit), you will be fine. If you overload the circuit, the breaker will trip, which is one of the reasons for breakers.

Cheers,
--
Don

The total draw is 642 so Ohm's Law tells us you'll be pulling about 5.5 amps from the wall if you're using 120V (I rounded up to 650 watts for the calculation):

1546011519421.png

Since those daisy-changed receptacles are wired in parallel, there is absolute no reason why you can't put these lights together in any configuration you want using a single cord to the wall. As long as the total amperage falls under the amperage rating of the circuit (have to take into account everything plugged into that circuit), you will be fine. If you overload the circuit, the breaker will trip, which is one of the reasons for breakers.

Cheers,
--
Don
Awesome! Thanks Don.

Hi thebigearl, usually as long as the total wattage is less than 1000w, you can try daisy chain, but please use UL listed power cords, otherwise might also cause problem. And the reason we did not have daisy chain function on our bigger lights is in case ppl will daisy chain a lot lights on, and a lot wattage, might cause protential problems:Namaste:.

Obviously I'm a little late to the conversation here but I have a question about the daisy chain options, I have Vivosun & Mars Hydro can't remember off the top of my head what size they're but that's not my concern, they both have the daisy chain option! So can I daisy chain the 2 lights together even though they're of a different brand?

Obviously I'm a little late to the conversation here but I have a question about the daisy chain options, I have Vivosun & Mars Hydro can't remember off the top of my head what size they're but that's not my concern, they both have the daisy chain option! So can I daisy chain the 2 lights together even though they're of a different brand?

no.

you still need to calculate load first. if that checks out you are ok

Hmm, what do you mean by that, I've been a carpenter for over 20yrs but know the bare minimum when it comes to electricity. If it's going to be a lot of work or explaining don't worry about it, I'll just buy 2 more of the Vivosun TS1000

add up what they draw together on the circuit. the example is the one provided in this thread.

1546011519421.png

Cheers,
--
Don

calculate your draw on the circuit. you should do it for the entire grow room, and anything else that is on the same circuit. it's best to have your grow space on a dedicated circuit, but not always possible.

you won't be able to run more than 15A on any standard house circuit.

it's not hard to get into a runaway draw situation resulting in a fire before the breaker trips. a couple folk have been burnt down here, the most famous being @Bill284, you should check out his fire safety thread.

I understand now, thanks & yes I have tripped the breaker but then switched up the outlet & haven't had the problem since. But now I plug everything into the power strip w/built in timer which is rated for 15amp & the 1 Vivosun I have is only 1.2amp (I just noticed that the Mars Hydro does not show the amp on the fixture itself like the others) otherwise it's just a couple of box fans, usually running around 1 amp. So I'd imagine I should be good, I check in on the at least twice a day

first off - you should go say hi in the intro section. :welcome:
you'd probably like hanging around.

I understand now, thanks & yes I have tripped the breaker but then switched up the outlet & haven't had the problem since.

sound like you are on two circuits. you need to figure out if you are, then find everything on both circuits whether used in the grow space or not. then add it up and calculate load after.

it's always the stuff you aren't aware of that bites you in the ass. tripping the breaker is a red flag.

But now I plug everything into the power strip w/built in timer which is rated for 15amp

that's the power strip itself. it sounds like it is fused, which is good, it acts as a second breaker if it is.

the bad news is it's still at the max for a common house circuit, and won't prevent you from over maxing the circuit, unless the only thing on it is the grow space. you are still at risk if it powers anything else.

& the 1 Vivosun I have is only 1.2amp (I just noticed that the Mars Hydro does not show the amp on the fixture itself like the others) otherwise it's just a couple of box fans, usually running around 1 amp. So I'd imagine I should be good, I check in on the at least twice a day

you can use an online load calculator tool like the one posted to calculate it all. you can do it by watt, amp, volt, they accept any input and fill in the rest for you.

there are also tools like a kill-o-watt you can plug right into the wall socket to tell you.

otherwise it's grade 9 math level.

I understand now, thanks & yes I have tripped the breaker but then switched up the outlet & haven't had the problem since. But now I plug everything into the power strip w/built in timer which is rated for 15amp & the 1 Vivosun I have is only 1.2amp (I just noticed that the Mars Hydro does not show the amp on the fixture itself like the others) otherwise it's just a couple of box fans, usually running around 1 amp. So I'd imagine I should be good, I check in on the at least twice a day
Welcome to 420Magazine my friend.:welcome:
Here is x the fire safety thread.
Did you get your question figured out ok?
If you want to say Hi and meet everyone here is a link.

#VIVOSUN #LoveWhatYouGrow
Bill284 😎

first off - you should go say hi in the intro section. :welcome:
you'd probably like hanging around.

sound like you are on two circuits. you need to figure out if you are, then find everything on both circuits whether used in the grow space or not. then add it up and calculate load after.

it's always the stuff you aren't aware of that bites you in the ass. tripping the breaker is a red flag.

that's the power strip itself. it sounds like it is fused, which is good, it acts as a second breaker if it is.

the bad news is it's still at the max for a common house circuit, and won't prevent you from over maxing the circuit, unless the only thing on it is the grow space. you are still at risk if it powers anything else.

you can use an online load calculator tool like the one posted to calculate it all. you can do it by watt, amp, volt, they accept any input and fill in the rest for you.

there are also tools like a kill-o-watt you can plug right into the wall socket to tell you.

otherwise it's grade 9 math level.
So since I've switched the grow room to a different outlet I haven't had any problems with tripping the breaker! That was a few yrs ago, I think I was running it off my work room circuit where I do all my wood working so yea all those little power tools (mostly dremels & other small hand tools that don't require a lot, however the shop vac is what usually kills it) but since switching & now using the power strip I haven't had any problems, I was running (3) box fans, (2) Mars Hydro led, (1) Vivosun, humidifier & a 6" exhaust for my 5'×8' grow room & haven't had any! But I like that idea of the kill-o-watt tester, I'll have to look into that, thanks for the advice! Very much appreciated!

Hi. I have a question if anyone can help be awesome human of the year award. I have 3 mars tsw2000 2 have the dual drivers and 1 has just a single driver. If i daisy them together they work fine. I got a vivosun e42a controller. (Said would suit my model lights) as i wanted to control lights fans etc from 1 spot. If i plug the new tsw2000 to the e42a by itself all functions work. As soon as i hook the older dual driver tsw2000,s to daisy chain off the first light all 3 dont dim to off. Only to 25%.

Hi. I have a question if anyone can help be awesome human of the year award. I have 3 mars tsw2000 2 have the dual drivers and 1 has just a single driver. If i daisy them together they work fine. I got a vivosun e42a controller. (Said would suit my model lights) as i wanted to control lights fans etc from 1 spot. If i plug the new tsw2000 to the e42a by itself all functions work. As soon as i hook the older dual driver tsw2000,s to daisy chain off the first light all 3 dont dim to off. Only to 25%.

another member had something similar. the fix was new drivers.

I run the same set up with no issue. Take pictures of your wiring and driver's and I will see if it matches mine!

Back
Top Bottom