Radogast 2016 - The Neverending Growing

All subbed up! Looks like another fun-filled stroll through your garden. :blushsmile:

Thank you Sorenna.

I'm glad to see you and so many friends took the time to subscribe to this journal.
:welcome:

My goal for the year is to continue to crank out enough medicine to meet my wife's needs - currently 4 oz per month plus a few mg of oxycodone for intense pain as she deals with pain and physical therapy for the healing ankle and lungs. Probably 0.5 oz per month is to help her to deal with my cooking and cleaning deficiencies as she heals. :)

I'm not a total slouch in the kitchen. I made a huge pot of vegetable soup based on leftover Italian Beef on saturday, and spaghetti with ground beef in marinara sauce with baked brussel sprouts in a homemade cheese sauce on sunday. Sundays meal used 3 burners at once as I was stirring the roux and grating the cheese - so I ended up with a mess not completely cleaned up until tonight. Thankfully we had enough leftovers to make it through tonight. I'll start a crockpot meal during my lunch break tomorrow.

I honestly don't understand how people stay sane cooking for a family. Ignoring the grocery shopping and replacing ingredients casually eaten the day before by teenagers, The whole pace of cooking is more endless and relentless than gardening. The family is firmly convinced they want to eat every day - a bit of a luxury in my book, but it seems a reasonable demand. However the wife wants to eat 3 meals a day. Ridiculous!! I'm getting fat just joining her at breakfast, much less lunch. I don't mind cooking for just myself, I can eat the same soup or the same burrito fixings 3 days in a row. I have literally eaten just rice for breakfast and soup for dinner many months in a row. The family want flavor and variety... every week. On paper, It all seems reasonable, but the daily demand on my time is relentless.

rant off

ahem ... If someone regulary cooks for you, do somethng nice for them. They are a saint. :thumb:

back to the garden...
:green_heart:

As a secondary goal, I would still like to continue to minimize my inputs to the garden - no new pots, only a lttle new soil, and organic pesticides. I may not be able to continue to grow just on soil and water. I've recently committed to regular soil replenishment with worm castings, so I am feeding the worms heavier and hoping to confirm 'the more they eat, the more they poop.' The worms are livelier and more visible, so it seems to be working.
:yummy::party::yummy:

I also need to work on thrips control. With the fight against spider mites, I didn't notice the thrips until the mites were gone. Obviously the neem spraying I was usng on the mites is not enough, because they are still here. I was hoping that I could harvest the 3 thrips infected girls in flower while keeping the thrips from spreading. This is not working. After harvesting 1 of the 3, I now have 5 infected girls in the flower room. I'm spraying a little neem to slow down the thrips while I come up with a plan.

The 2 things that have stopped my thrips so far are 1) defoliating of infested leaves and 2) selectivly dabbing neem oil on the infested colonies.The neem dabbing works by drowning them with oil. It doesnt take much oil, 1ml can do 100 leaves, but it leaves damaged spots on the infested leaves. I don't like either approach much.

I just have not been able to commit to removing or damaging 60-80% of my fan leaves in the flower room to stop the thrips.
I have never defoliated in flower, but a 60% defoliation seems like it would be even worse for yield than the thrips.

so anyway...you can tell what's weighs on my mind tonight.

I've a couple of ounces of snowcap drying. At least twice that coming out of the flower room in the next month, so whatever the worries, the garden is growing well enough.

Be well my friends

:circle-of-love:

Hey Radogast looks like I am not so late that I can not get a good comfy chair to enjoy your garden :thumb:

If you have SM and are using Neem oil as a defense against them you may want to pick up at least one other product, be it DIY or store bought. SM will build up a tolerance to Neem if Neem oil is used over and over to combat them. You will have much better success if you alternate between Neem and another type of product to kill them. What others have told me and what I found to work quiet well was to use Neem oil for every other application and something like AzaMax every other application.

I liked the way you describe yourself as a lazy gardener, I knew we had something in common besides just politics :rofl:

I hope you have a great year in 2016 and we all get to see some changes in the laws for the better. Like you I prefer to grow legal, though in my past I did not care, at this phase of the game, I have no desire to have the law knocking on my door.

Hey Radogast looks like I am not so late that I can not get a good comfy chair to enjoy your garden :thumb:

If you have SM and are using Neem oil as a defense against them you may want to pick up at least one other product, be it DIY or store bought. SM will build up a tolerance to Neem if Neem oil is used over and over to combat them. You will have much better success if you alternate between Neem and another type of product to kill them. What others have told me and what I found to work quiet well was to use Neem oil for every other application and something like AzaMax every other application.

I liked the way you describe yourself as a lazy gardener, I knew we had something in common besides just politics :rofl:

I hope you have a great year in 2016 and we all get to see some changes in the laws for the better. Like you I prefer to grow legal, though in my past I did not care, at this phase of the game, I have no desire to have the law knocking on my door.

I have not seen spider mites for over 50 days. I would guess 10-12 days after buying a new sprayer using 1% Neem Oil and water.
The key was mixed FRESH for every treatment.
Details here: Radogast 2 - Return of the Clones

As I understand it, Azamax is mainly neem oil extract.

The Neem and Rosemary based products from Sierra Natural Sciences (SNS) both worked very well - I skipped out of town on vacation in mid treatment with the SNS products and then didn't have anough time and money to do it again the right way. I had a quart of neem oil available to experiment with making my own neem oil spray. I am thankful it worked.

OG, I hope to read more from you and loook at more of your pictures in 2016 :)

Radogast have you thought about spinosad? It is a bacterial waste product that breaks down in a week but is supposed to kill thrips in a few days. It is certified organic and safe for veggies and fruits. A one two punch of neem and spinosad may take care of your problem.

I have pretty much done no research on thrips. Just enough to believe they are thrips...

Here is a close-up of a thrips infected leaf (under the golden glow of HPS light)

20160105_151247-1.jpg

Here are trichomes at the same magnification (also under the golden glow of HPS light.)

20160105_151330-1.jpg

A look at the small pots

WW Ava - regular seed White Widow planted 12/27

20160105_155447-1.jpg

Car Latrice Royal - regular seed Caramelicious planted 12/27

20160105_145704-1.jpg

Ava and Latrice Royal are growing about as expected for their age. Ava's has a single root reaching the bottom of the pot. They are both scheduled to be up potted in big pots at the end of February. As regular seeds, I plan to clone them as soon as they can afford to lose 3 inches and sex the clones in the flowering room. I don't want boys, especially not these genetics.

HWS Flower - regular seed Hawaiian Skunk planted 11-15.

20160105_145631-1.jpg

Flower has yellowish color, has not been thriving, and looks nothing like the other Hawaiian Skunk seedlings from the same batch. She was supposed to graduate to a big pot next week, but is not ready.

GSC Annabelle C1 - Girl Scout Cookies clone in soil since 12-8 (one moon)

20160105_145534-1.jpg

I don't have a general plan for training clones with alternate branching. I somehow forced Annabelle into 4 main branches 1" above the soil line. I will be supercropping to create more branches as she grows. Annabelle gets the next fabric pot, available in a few days when I harvest NLX Stella. Annabelle will be my first homegrown Girl Scout Cookies. I have enjoyed purchased GSC. This is the only strain I have grown matching a strain I have purchased.

Tnd Ghita C1 - unsexed Tangerine Dream clone planted 1-1

20160105_145419-1-1.jpg

Tnd Ghita C1 was cloned by topping 8" from a 26" seedling before alternate branching set in.

20160105_145443.jpg

I :love: prefer :love: training paired branches. I pinched the top a day or two ago. I may have a fim. We will see.

20160105_151039-1.jpg

In 4 days, some fat roots found the bottom of Tangerine Dream Ghita's pot.

20160105_153602-1.jpg

Both my Tangerine Dream girls grew robust and well proportioned. The other seedling showed as a boy.
Unsexed seedling Ghita will go into the flower room in a few weeks. Fingers crossed.

:Namaste::high-five::wood:

More small plants

Every girl sipped a pint of worm castings tea last night. I haven't done a tea in several months but I tried this hoping to jolt HWS Flower and AK47 Bonnie out of their yellow slowness and into green growing vigor. The two girls in low training seemed to respond well, growing an inch today.

Sno Stacy C1 - Snowcap clone of a drying mother, very happy after her pint of worm casting tea.

20160105_145831.jpg

Am? Giselle C2 - daughter of a 6.8oz Amsterdam Marijuana Seeds free seed clone of medium potency. Loving the drink of worm casting tea

20160105_145847.jpg

Bdl Iman - feminized Borderliner seedling just moved to late veg. This is the prettiest seedling I have grown at this size.

20160105_150003-1.jpg

Sno Snow Queen - Snowcap clone vs clone experiment from the same mother.

20160105_150101-1.jpg

The old clone on the left (4 months in a small pot) looks almost as good as the young clone (1 month in a small pot.) The old clone has it's direct rooted top growing to help out with yield. The young clone has a thick, green stalk.

Looking good! That borderliner is a picture perfect seedling.

Borderliner is a very potent strain for pain relief.

Before Samhain/Hallowe'en, my wife experienced a 3-bone ankle break (tip of fibula, tip of tibia and shearing of an ankle bone.) The orthopedic surgeon said that this is the worst bone pain: worse than a hip fracture or bone cancer pain. Due to pulmonary embolisms (blood clots in her lungs) from her injury, she was not able to have an operation and forced to discontinue all her herbal supplements except marijuana. The vtamin and herb supplements have helped treat her fibromyalgia, debilitating Planters fasciatus, PTSD, and menopausal symptoms due to hysterectomy. She spent 2 months in a cast on a fainting couch and another month in a wheelchair and walker with physical therapy. during all this time, she relied on homegrown medical marijuana to help her survive the new pain, recurring of older, formerly managed pain, and the frustrations of feeling helpless and invalid.

Borderliner (Bowie) was the strain that helped her through this painful period. It was her go to strain when the oxycodone wasn't enough. Amsterdam Marijuana Seeds - Premium Cannabis Seeds (420 sponsor)

Today, for the first time since October, she was able to walk out the front door and down the steps in a full standing position holding on to the hand rail. Her physical therapist says she is healing as fast as her fastest patient. My wife credits medical marijuana.

The ordeal isn't over (there is still my cooking) but it was a huge milestone. And I will continue to grow Borderliner.

- -

At the Doctor's office (yes we were going to a doctor, like her every other trip outside the house in 3 months) , a nurse came up to tell my wife that her 22 year old daughter had just started CBD oil for epilepsy and her seizures were immediately cut in half. Since she was 11 years old, nothing else had worked. I was teary. Gotta love it!

I wrote down the link to the Concentrated Cannabis Oil threads here at 420 magazine and spoke briefly with her. It is my hope the medical miracle survivors here can direct her to a protocol to eliminate the other half of the seizures.

Today was another day that shows that marijuana is medicine - not just a fun way to live our lives :)

- - - And I know some of you have read most of this before. Well you young whippersnappers just have to sit through an old man's stories again - dang nabbit :rofl:

Your wife is a strong courageous woman. You both are lucky to have each other. It seems you really understand commitment and are ready to do what it takes to make sure some you love is as happy and fulfilled as they can be. Kudos to you Radogast. Through your struggles together you have grown stronger together. I just pray it is more LST instead of the supercropping she did to her leg. We humans take longer to heal from supercropping. She has had enough of that. I am glad she is mobile and that cannabis has been such a good part of her ongoing recovery.

Your wife is a strong courageous woman. You both are lucky to have each other. It seems you really understand commitment and are ready to do what it takes to make sure some you love is as happy and fulfilled as they can be. Kudos to you Radogast. Through your struggles together you have grown stronger together. I just pray it is more LST instead of the supercropping she did to her leg. We humans take longer to heal from supercropping. She has had enough of that. I am glad she is mobile and that cannabis has been such a good part of her ongoing recovery.

Monday visit to general practitioner - no prescriptions to fill - YAY!
Per a tuesday CTscan, the 3 pulmonary embolisms are gone from her lungs - we both credit cannabis for the speed :)
Physical therapist home visit yesterday has her walking up and down stairs and she will be going to a gym type setup for advanced physical therapy visits soon.
Orthopedic surgeon visit on Monday for progress check.

I don't know how old people have enough time and energy to visit all their doctors.

Almost forgot :) Harvest Day, Northern Lights Stella

I harvested and washed Northern Lights Stella today, 67 days under 11/13 light.

20160108_144746-1.jpg

Camera phone had focusing issues today

20160108_144753-1.jpg

I like the leaf color she chose

20160108_144800-1.jpg

The main cola

20160108_144822-1.jpg

The white stuff on the leaves is sad -:oops: I was going to bud wash anyway.

20160108_144828-1.jpg

Stella washed and hung to dry. Airy, sticky buds.

20160108_153407-1.jpg

5 girls left in the flowering room

20160108_153514.jpg

Right side of the Flowering Room - Gitrl Scout Cookies(Annabelle and Monique) and breeder free seed Giselle.

20160108_153613-1.jpg

Left side of the Flowering Room - Caramelicious(Sassy and Quiffa) and White Widow(Bellatrix and Denise)

20160108_153556-1.jpg

NL Stella hung to dry - Sno Tracy almost dry in the hamper

20160108_153316.jpg

Hey there Rad - pulling up my chair, looks like I'm going to have to get a closer seat with all that haze in the room :thumb: :high-five:

Looking good... rad I love your cloner and you have mad skills with it!

Your insect thing thrips - not sure it's them. I've had them. That's when I finally broke down and started a twice weekly IPM treatment. Shiggity speaks the truth. Spinosad AKA Monterrey insect Spray. It's bacterial so its 100% organic and you can spray up to the day before harvest.

To get rid of pests you have to break the reproduction cycle. That really requires positive ID. Thrips are freaking TINY and I mean almost microscopic. You need a loop or microscope to see them. Your pic didn't look like thrips but could be. Thrips leave white spots on the leaves - looks like the leaves have white freckles and its usually at the btm of the plant and works up but usually not all the way up.

So to get rid of thrips = sprayer with 1 gal clean water. Add to that 1-2 tbs of Monterrey fluid (get the quart bottle), a pinch or 2 of neem cake meal and a 1-2 tbs of kelp meal.

What I do is put the kelp meal (already re-hydrated - I always have some re-hydrated in the fridge) the pinch of neem cake meal in water and strain into the sprayer with a very fine mesh strainer. Helps to grind the kelp to a fine powder for this. Anyway put that into a gallon of water and strain into spray res. Add the Tbs or 2 of spinosad shake and yer good to go.

You need to spray EVERYTHING - plants floors around plants the soil - if you have a sips tray spray that as well.
Spray the undersides of ALL the leaves. Get the plants soaked.

Now the important part - you have to do this within 3 days of your first application. Not 2 day not 4 days its got to be 3 days. This will break the reproduction of eggs hatching, then continue on with this for another week 2 more times. So at least 4 applications first one 3 days apart then the next treatments just do it 2x a week.

Lightly sprinkle a little neem cake meal on the surface of your soil - not a lot just a few pinches in each pot no need to til in just sprinkle on top is all, FTW!

No more bugs... this will rid you of those pesky gnats as well.

Now the next thing - you just started your IPM routine ^^^ I do this 2x EVERY week seeds to harvest.

Once you get rid of insects after the first 2 weeks you can stop with the spinosad IF you dont see any flying critters.

Thrips fly but they are not good fliers so they just sort of take off and land where ever which is why you need to spray the floors in the flower and veg rooms. When they walk in or come in contact with the spinosad they die.

After being done with bugs, no need to use spinosad - so just do the pinch or 2 of neem cake meal and re-hydrated kelp meal, this is a game changer by itself. The kelp will fix any and every issue on the garden.

Your plants will absolutely LOVE you for this.

Thrips can devastate but they need a lot of numbers so it's good to get a grip on this. You live in the woods, you are going to have pests come in from outside. Nothing to do but "be prepared" - that's your IPM routine. For indoor gardens its a must - specially when you grow organic.

All that said.. the best defense against insects is healthy plants. You see a plant thats not quite right... do not nurse it toss it like it was a male... not a plant that's 2 weeks from harvest, I'm talking in VEG room. That will be the plant the bugs get a hold on.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with this. You should develop your IPM routine that works for your style. I'm the absolutely laziest gardener there is, and I do the IPM. Takes me about 15 minutes start to finish and I treat it as giving the ladies a nutrient bath. They will respond right away you will see it, I promise.

Neem and kelp meal for the win - FTW - add spinosad when you see wings.

Good luck with your new perpetual - It's the best way to provide top shelf organic meds for the family.

Keep it green and frosty my friend!

Spinosad is supposedly effective vs thrips, mites, flies, aphids, etc. so if you aren't sure what the insect happens to be I would use it! I am going to get some just to keep around in case I need it some time.

Back
Top Bottom