Radogast 2 - Return of the Clones

Snowcap Snow Queen - Young clone vs Old Clone.

November-ish, I started a comparison of two clones from the same plant.
The 'Young clone' was rooted and placed in a 4" pot for about 3 weeks.
The 'Old clone' was rooted and placed in a 4" pot for about 3 months.

I transplanted the young clone and the old clone into the same pot to share the same grow environment.

20151201_122407.jpg

My concern was that a plant kept 'too long' in a 4" pot became under-nourished, root-bound, and lost stem flexibility.
My guess was that a young, more vibrant plant would eventually outperform a plant that had been stunted in early veg.

Young clone vs Old Clone - Tonight
Notice that both clones grew too leggy - I did no training, partly in my desire to avoid skewing the side-by-side comparison.

20151220_214449-1.jpg

Young leaf vs New leaf - In a surprise to me, the upper growth of both clones are similar in size and health.

20151220_214457-1.jpg

Looking forward to a day I may want to actually harvest some bud, I decided I could no longer wait to train and decided to supercrop to encourage branching. The top of the old clone snapped rather than bent.

20151220_214711.jpg

Snowcap Snow Queen was a top tier weed with good yield for her size. Snow cap Stacy is blowing her away in yield. After Stacy is harvested (2-3 weeks), I will make a decision whether to continue growing Snow Queen clones, or reassign her slot in the pot rotations to a more worthy genetic line.

The comparison experiment is not over yet. It may or may not continue into the flowering cycle.

This afternoon, the official head grower (the wife) and I had a good conversation about seeds and strains.

We are currently growing out 9 named strains and 2 free seed strains. The total number of plant lines I can keep going with the current setup is 11-14.

Unlike the beginning of this journal which was excruciatingly without harvests, my wife likes the variety, the yield, and the quality being grown.

We are waiting for first harvest on locally aquired clones of Girl Scout Cookies and Tangerine x Blue Dream, but I expect well of them - so they stay in the rotation. We are also waiting for first harvest on Northern Lights XTRM Stella. She is expected to stay in rotation.

Free Seed Lachesis is a top tier weed, along with Snowcap, Borderliner XTRM, and Hawaiian Skunk, so they all stay.

Free Seed Giselle is a bottom tier weed, but at 6.5 oz she was our best yield to date. She stays for now.

AK47 XTRM, Caramelicious, and White Widow are in the middle tier. On some days and times they are a first choice. so they stay in rotation.

There is a distinct variation in the quality of the two White Widow lines. The original Denise was better quality than Bellatrix. If the quality of Denise clones are still better, White Widow Bellatrix will be retired. In the same way, Caramelicious Quiffa is a much better smoke than Sassy, although that may be because Sassy didn't flower long enough. I have a side-by-side in the same pot going for both these pairs.

Amsterdam Marijuana Seeds White Widow, Caramelicious, and their free seeds were our first seeds from March 2013. We have 5 seeds of WW and CAR as well as about 25 unnamed, unsexed AMS free seeds. each left over. Partly because they are unsexed seeds, partly because they are the oldest seeds, and partly because there seems to be variation in quality, we are planning to grow out these seeds over the next several months. We will attempt to isolate the best plant of each strain to continue cloning.

Soaking seeds: 1 White Widow, 1 Caramelicious

20151220_151948-1.jpg

20151220_151927-1.jpg

20151220_152040-1.jpg

Rad, you guys have the most interesting house. :battingeyelashes: It warmed my heart to read that you've reached the point where there's a steady supply of variety for your beloved. :love: I just got home from the Star Wars movie. That explains my late hours. Don't you sleep anymore my friend? :laughtwo: Yes, I heard the irony there. LOL!

Rad, you guys have the most interesting house. :battingeyelashes: It warmed my heart to read that you've reached the point where there's a steady supply of variety for your beloved. :love: I just got home from the Star Wars movie. That explains my late hours. Don't you sleep anymore my friend? :laughtwo: Yes, I heard the irony there. LOL!

Steady variety, but still a litle lean on yield.

Back when I used to be an operator supporting mainframe computers (near silicon valley, late 70s), I developed a theory that computer programmers will always expand their need for computer resources to consume all available computer resources. (I suspect you may see where I am headed here.) 5 months ago when we were purchasing from the street, consumption was 1-2 oz/mo. Since then, especially in the last 2.5 months with a severely broken ankle, yield and consumption have both increased to a bit over 4 oz/ mo. We will make it to the January harvests, but just barely :)

It is 2 hours earlier there in Az :)
In defense of the late hour on a school night, I was was listening to the recent New Hampshire primary debate while surfing the 420 magazine grow logs - so it counts as educational time :rofl:

Today was a half-day at work (working from home) so I spent some time in the garden.

Early Veg

I planted the two seeds sprouted in wine glass. They did the miracle of a growing seed. They did not turn the water in the wine glasses into wine.

White Widow

20151224_150129-2.jpg

Caramelicious

20151224_150137-1-1.jpg

Early Veg: Currently five 4" pots in a line down the center flanked by four large fabric pots.

20151224_175034.jpg

Borderliner Iman is doing well. Her leaves are a bit yellow.

20151224_175155.jpg

Northern Lights Stella C1 clone is not growing, despite being the seedling/clone in early veg that has spent the longest time in the fabric pots

20151224_175214_0_.jpg

In the other two fabric pots, Giselle C2 is following the same training pattern as Stacy. It might take awhile, but should yield more.

Giselle C2

20151224_175148.jpg

As I train the leader horizontaly around the inner pot edge, I am hoping I will be growing the stalks which will grow strong flowers

20151224_175053-1.jpg

Snowcap Stacy C1

20151224_175252.jpg

Stacy is growing clockwise (deosil) to Giselle's counter-clockwise (widdershins).

20151224_175103-1.jpg

Front to back: AK47 Bonnie, GSC Annabelle C1, HWS Flower - with newly planted seeds at each end (where the light is less :) ).

20151224_175236.jpg

Merry Merry Rad. I'll accept that explaination of late night hours and grant the educational waiver. :laughtwo: I hear you about the increased consumption. Dale and I used to go through about 1.5 oz a month and smoke conservatively. On my own and growing better quality cannabis than we were ever able to afford, I go through at least 2 oz a month, just for brownies. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Any ideas as to why Borderliner Iman is so yellow? Could it be a root issue? I know with the kit plants in my last grow, when leaves were that shade it was a problem in the roots that I rectified with the growth energy drench. That drench (Growth Energy: Liquid calcium nitrate derived from naturally occuring chilean nitrate. Trace minerals.) usually got those leaves greener within days . Now when I see leaves that color I immediately consider a root problem. Find some way to stimulate healthier roots. Possibly another topping with EWC?

Time for bed here. A bit too much alcohol tonight wearing me down. Have a wonderful day with the family. :circle-of-love:

Hi Radogast,

Just caught up here. Lovely thing to do with my cuppa on a Christmas morning.
I am very interested in how your 'round the pot training goes. I keep trying that, and the durned things grow so fast that by the time I think about applying more training they are too far out to the sides. LOL One of these days I'll get it right. I had always thought it would be cool to play around with training one in a circle with a different strain growing straight up in the center. Make art out of it while waiting for harvest.

I love that you have one named "Aunt Sassy", that might be a fav...my kitty's name is "Sassy". ;-)

The seeds didn't turn the water to wine......thanks for the giggle. :laughtwo: Could be white wine.....LOL

Your worm bins are really doing well for you! It is you that makes me even more determined to get one going. Great job!

Next time I stop, I won't wait so long.

How is your weather there? I can't believe it here....I could go out and get those night crawlers in the planter with no problem. Nothing is frozen and it's like early fall here.

:circle-of-love:

Hi Radogast,

Just caught up here. Lovely thing to do with my cuppa on a Christmas morning.
I am very interested in how your 'round the pot training goes. I keep trying that, and the durned things grow so fast that by the time I think about applying more training they are too far out to the sides. LOL One of these days I'll get it right. I had always thought it would be cool to play around with training one in a circle with a different strain growing straight up in the center. Make art out of it while waiting for harvest.

I think I will be able to monitor and remember to train if I keep them in Early Veg. Thee, , I am always checking water, spreading leaves, turning the pots, watching for time to transplant, and otherwise fussing around because they are near my chair. Plus the T5s are about 8" above the pot surface, so I have to watch them closely to keep hem from wrapping around the CFL tubes - light whores :)

I love that you have one named "Aunt Sassy", that might be a fav...my kitty's name is "Sassy". ;-).

Quiffa and Sassy are sisters, but Quiffa has been cloned one more time, so this Sassy it that Quiffa's Aunt. It's really just a way of reminding myself to take time to view each girl as an individual with individual needs. Talking to them about what they need really helps me focus. When I am high, I often find myself talking to the plants as if I am a tour guide showing the grow to someone else.

The seeds didn't turn the water to wine......thanks for the giggle. :laughtwo: Could be white wine.....LOL

Your worm bins are really doing well for you! It is you that makes me even more determined to get one going. Great job!
I mostly neglect the worms. Their feeding schedule is sort of, if it is a weekend day and I just ate an organic bananna then check the cup by the sink for bannana peels I cut up after breakfast. If I decide to feed them, I also grab some trimmed leaves out of a pot in the garden room.

Recently, I have had fruit flies that came home from the grocery store and they wanted to be on the bannana peels. When I put a lid on my bannana peel cup it got moldy and smelly. For most of the year, I have been able to collect bannana peels all week with no issues, but lately it is an issue so I only collect the bannana peels for 2-3 days.

Just before the flies showed up, I had gotten brave enough to add a few hand crushed egg shells to the bannana peels. Maybe it was the egg whites on the egg shells that attracted flies. I am now washing the the egg shells and stacking them in a cup by the dish drainer until it is time to feed worms. No smells or flies.

The worms are living well enough off just those few ingredients and a little basalt rock dust, so I am happy :)

Next time I stop, I won't wait so long.

How is your weather there? I can't believe it here....I could go out and get those night crawlers in the planter with no problem. Nothing is frozen and it's like early fall here.

:circle-of-love:

Yesterday afternoon, I pulled the charcoal barbecue out and made the family grilled cheeseburgers. I was barefoot and the grass was soft and green underfoot. I had to cook a little early (4:00 PM) to avoid losing the sunlight, but it's not like we are real busy during the yule season. I have gone out to feed the birds barefoot and move a deck chair back outside from the basement barefoot andin a t-shirt. (OK, it was the T-shirt under my long sleeve shirt, but I had to take off the long sleeve shirt after working in the flowering room yesterday... I have photos to update but my access to 420 mag was squirrelly last night. - Speaking of squirrel, thats why I put a deck chair back out. A Red Squirrel showed up yesterday and wanted to be hand fed at the door. This particular squirrel likes to be fed at ankle level but red squirrels who beg peanuts from the back of a chair can't be far behind. -- speaking of peanuts, I saw a crow stack 5 peanuts side-by-side in his/her beak this morning.)

I am living today like the first day of the rest of my life,. Cinnamon French Toast for the family breakfast followed by a family wake-and-bake. Oven slow roasting a 5 lb sirloin with oregano, fennel, onion, salt and pepper. Discuss the animals on the back deck and projects for the day while smoking some more. After a few hours cool, slice and crockpot the beef and juices with wicked bannana pepper, diced green pepper and pepperoncinis for another another few hours as Itlalian beef. The aromas drove the rats crazy, but hey pigged out on Frecnh Toast for breakfast, so I don't mind. Dinner hour os approaching.

I moved and sorted 3 of 4 bookcases in the art room into logical groupings as part of an officec/art room redesign. I like the new use of light and layout.

Oh yeah, I was asked about the weather. The streams and brook are running high from rain earlier this week, but otherwise the weather can't be beat The birds and squirrels are having a great time. 15-20 doves today, 6 bluebirds and a cardinal yesterday, the usual woodpeckers, nuthatches, titmice and wrens :)

Merry Merry Rad. I'll accept that explaination of late night hours and grant the educational waiver. :laughtwo: I hear you about the increased consumption. Dale and I used to go through about 1.5 oz a month and smoke conservatively. On my own and growing better quality cannabis than we were ever able to afford, I go through at least 2 oz a month, just for brownies. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Any ideas as to why Borderliner Iman is so yellow? Could it be a root issue? I know with the kit plants in my last grow, when leaves were that shade it was a problem in the roots that I rectified with the growth energy drench. That drench (Growth Energy: Liquid calcium nitrate derived from naturally occuring chilean nitrate. Trace minerals.) usually got those leaves greener within days . Now when I see leaves that color I immediately consider a root problem. Find some way to stimulate healthier roots. Possibly another topping with EWC?

Time for bed here. A bit too much alcohol tonight wearing me down. Have a wonderful day with the family. :circle-of-love:

The yellow is probably a combination of high PH worm compost, over-watering and getting used to being 8" from the light -- all of these will improve with time.

Now that's an update. I'm so glad you and your family is living the life Radogast :Namaste:

Side note: The seed didn't turn the water to wine but it can turn it to "Oil" :cheesygrinsmiley::drool:

Glad to hear Rad. I like that confidence. :circle-of-love:

I remember a Christmas, about 1984 or so, when it was 73 degrees in Pittsburgh and my mother-in-law was livid with me for letting the children run around without coats on. LOL! Enjoy the warmth.

Beautiful update, Radogast. :blushsmile:

Merry Christmas Sorenna. :circle-of-love:

After about 9 attempts over 24 hours, I was finally able to upload more photos from Christmas Eve Day.

Flowering Room

I moved old Bonzai looking Caramelicious Quiffa C2 outside the Flowering Room 36 hours ago. I will chop and wash her tomorrow. She is done. I would have done the chop and wash today, but it was a busy day on many fronts.

I have been confused about her age a few times due to two labels on the pot. Going with the metal tag, she was cloned from a scraggly old 'palm tree' on 10-10. That is 10-10-2014, making her 14 months + 15 days, 420+9+15=444 days old.

Caramelicious Quiffa C2 outside the Flowering Room for 36 hours.

20151224_220333-1-1.jpg

We smoked a test nug (left) and she is done. The right nug is a straightening iron oil tester from Snowcap Stacy.

20151223_142641-1.jpg

I spread 4 cu ft of fresh perlite on the flower room floor to enhance the water movement of the SWICK. Some of the old perlite was crushed by clumsy feet. I moved Giselle and GSC Annabelle(both in flower since 11/24) over to the right side of the flower room with SNO Stacy and NLX Stella(both 11-5.)

Flowering room (Right)

20151224_220010-2.jpg

Snowcap Stacy Colas, 7 weeks Flower

20151224_220121-2.jpg

Bic and bud shot, Snowcap Stacy

20151224_215909-1.jpg

Northern Lights Extreme(NLX) Stella - 7 weeks in Flowering Room

20151224_220058-1.jpg

Girl Scout Cookies(GSC)Annabelle - 30 days in Flowering Room

20151224_220021-1.jpg

Giselle - 30 days in Flowering Room

20151224_220042-1.jpg

Under the right side 600W HPS, harvests in 1-5 weeks

20151224_220220-1.jpg

Flowering Room - Left side

It was time to promote a couple more girls from Late Veg into the Flowering Room

First addition to the Flowering Room, White Widow Bellatrix and Denise in the same pot. This is Bellatrix's opportunity to show she can be just as potent as Denise under the same grow conditions. In her first and only previous harvest Denise provided a mghty fine high. In first two harvests, Bella was a good smooth smoke and a decent high. I'm very interested in how this grow compares.

White Widow Bellatrix and Denise in the same pot about 26" tall

20151224_172323-12.jpg

White Widow canopy view

20151224_172348-12.jpg

Girl Scout Cookies Monique - Also new to the Flowering Room Christmas Eve

20151224_220300-11.jpg

Caramelicious Quiffa and Sassy in the same pot, 11 days in Flower, they stayed on the left side of the Room with the new girls.

20151224_2201331.jpg

Left Side of Flowering room. 5 girls, 3 strains, 3 pots

20151224_220208-11.jpg

7 pots in the flowering room, probably the most I have had flowering at one time.

20151224_215839-12.jpg

Back in the Garden Room,

The Late Veg SWICK is looking sparse - Only 3 pots!

20151224_215354-11.jpg

20151224_2154181.jpg

Tangerine x Blue Dream Ghita (on the right) has a 5 cola canopy forming (2 are close together on the center left)

20151222_2146491.jpg

With all the girls in the flowering room, the 8 port cloner is packed !

20151224_215443-11.jpg

Finally caught up on the photo uploads - g'nite all

Back
Top Bottom