Real Grand Daddy Purp From Seed

Well after reading all the information I can assist with the purple color question at hand. It is temp based and the reason the plant turns purple is due to it being a dark color that the plant can maintain to absorb heat. It is like wearing a black t-shirt which gets warmer than white in the sun. I am here to play today just have a sick child and a long work day. I am still hoping for a girl. I moved all the GDP to the tent and moved all the female clones under the 400w MH to veg them. The ladies were all also transplanted into 1 gal pots and will receive their first dose of BPN on Tuesday or Wednesday.

In short time I will take one of each of Fruity Chronic Juice and Cheese and cross breed with the GDP if it is male. I did inspect my other GDP seed and see that there is a crack in the shell so I am afraid I am without another to pop. No worries though as I will be ordering up a 10 pack and working hard to make Fem seeds and regular seed when I pop them. I will do 2 batches of 5 and 5.

With how well the current GDP has grown I have made it my desire to make this my running strain. I will also probably keep the crosses going as well. I may even keep the pure Fruity and Cheese and make Fem seeds of them as well. So I will not let this deter me from doing what I enjoy. I do realize I have gold in my tent and will enjoy the fact that if a male I will be able to make some awesome strains and even get to have a pure bred pony some day.

:) :thumb:

Thanks for all the support guys!

I am still leaning to female but either way she/he is not showing anything yet. I think this plant is mocking me lol.

I'm deffinitely gonna grow it a second time.

Could have made it like good prison sex and at least given the plant a reach around.....

If I do find that she is female I will put her back under the veg light and take the minor 2 week delay as the plant has great structure.

I know right. HAHAHA! To many movies. But yea, thats not so bad. When are you uploading pics? Has she gotten any new growth yet? More of did those lower branches ever catch up with out stretching?

Thanks for the reps also. No problem man. This was and still is your big grow bro. Hope your kid feels better to. Worse season this is. Alot of sickness with this weather sucks

The plant is excellent. Looks great. I will upload a pic or two when I know what we have. The other branches are stretching their way up slowly and staying rather tight. I will definitely post some pics soon.

The plant is excellent. Looks great. I will upload a pic or two when I know what we have. The other branches are stretching their way up slowly and staying rather tight. I will definitely post some pics soon.

Cool! Looking forward to your next updates! You shouldn't have to wait much longer to see what sex that plant is. I would say within 7-10 days it will be obvious.

Glad to read that you now realize that you have a win/win there regardless of the sex! ;) Male plants from 5 Star strains are always a major bonus from any seed based grow! :yahoo:

Oh! I keep forgetting to ask... are you set up to clone yet? This is one reason why the number of females you get from a seed grow isn't that big a deal to folks like me who grow every year most of the time.

All you need is ONE and you can make all the extra plants you need. I started with three GDP clones and since then I have reared close to 25 of them from those original three. GDP is a very easy strain to clone too, so even something as basic as Rockwool will work, although it will take a bit longer than in a cloner like I have.

You can check out my Turbo Klone review linked in my sig for a whole photo essay on the process from start to finish.

Cool! Looking forward to your next updates! You shouldn't have to wait much longer to see what sex that plant is. I would say within 7-10 days it will be obvious.

Glad to read that you now realize that you have a win/win there regardless of the sex! ;) Male plants from 5 Star strains are always a major bonus from any seed based grow! :yahoo:

Oh! I keep forgetting to ask... are you set up to clone yet? This is one reason why the number of females you get from a seed grow isn't that big a deal to folks like me who grow every year most of the time.

All you need is ONE and you can make all the extra plants you need. I started with three GDP clones and since then I have reared close to 25 of them from those original three. GDP is a very easy strain to clone too, so even something as basic as Rockwool will work, although it will take a bit longer than in a cloner like I have.

You can check out my Turbo Klone review linked in my sig for a whole photo essay on the process from start to finish.

I do basic cloning. Cut, put in water, cut the 45, scrape, put in rooting powder, put in soil and wait. I have lost only one clone in the 8 I have done this way. All the clones I have taken from the GDP rooted in as few as 3 days. I was under the impression that GDP was a finicky strain to grow but have really had an easy time with it so far.I am still hoping girl but know that if it is a boy there will be some good breeding going on and then some fem seed breeding. This is what is exciting about growing. You never know what is going to happen and you just have to be prepared to adapt, adjust, and overcome.

:cheer:

you sound like Clint Eastwood :)

"Make my day!" That is what I am saying to my GDP at the moment lol.

I hope she make your months!
do you feel lucky grower? well do you?

LMAO. I am feeling lucky. I was thinking about some pics of the clones but they are not as important as the GDP. So I will be doing a huge update as soon as the sex is know. I have a magical feeling that it will be a boy.

as long as it pleases you I'am all for it:)

So I have some goodies on the way..... 5 GDP Reg, 1 Critical Jack Herer Fem, 1 Ultraviolet Auto, 1 Blue OG Fem, 1 Diesel Auto, 1 White Lavender Fem. I can not wait for these goodies to get here. :)

I do basic cloning. Cut, put in water, cut the 45, scrape, put in rooting powder, put in soil and wait. I have lost only one clone in the 8 I have done this way. All the clones I have taken from the GDP rooted in as few as 3 days. I was under the impression that GDP was a finicky strain to grow but have really had an easy time with it so far.I am still hoping girl but know that if it is a boy there will be some good breeding going on and then some fem seed breeding. This is what is exciting about growing. You never know what is going to happen and you just have to be prepared to adapt, adjust, and overcome.

:cheer:

I've personally found the genuine GDP to be one of the easiest and most forgiving strains to grow and to clone. Could be those comments were made by someone growing one of the FAUX GDP strains and not the real thing. Only thing I can think of since I have had just the opposite experience with GDP growing and cloning.

Thats amazing that you have been able to get roots in only three days! Mine usually take about 10-15 days in my cloner which is on the low side of rooting time with all the various strains I have cloned so far. My M.O.N. Blue Cheese strain is at the opposite side of that time frame with 23 days + from cuttings to actual transplantable root spikes.

Makes sense as mine has grown very well and easy. I thought 3 days was really quick to root as well. My first clone took 10 days. I must be getting lucky. Maybe my GDP is a boy and wants the girls to be ready to receive his love....

The genuine GDP strain is a very robust and resilient plant. You can do pretty much anything you want to it in terms of pruning within reason and it won't rebel.

The color is temperature dependent, (COLD) so that is one area where indoor growers may run into a little more difficulty in terms of getting that famous purple color out of the buds. Anything below about 55 degrees will really help push that pigment into the leaves and later the actual flower tops themselves. The color change starts with the fan leaves and then moves to the inner bud leaves. The colder the overnight temps during their dark period the darker the purple will get and the more extensive it will get.

Now this is all based on the original clone-only strain that I have been growing here. I have no experience with the seed based version, so it may or may not be as temp dependent as the original strain, but more than likely it will be since I am assuming that these seeds came from a CS treatment of the original clone-only version I have.

Was there any mention of overnight temps in the literature that came with the seeds? Just curious since this is a well known thing with the original GDP. While even indoor grown GDP will eventually turn purple to some degree, it won't be as pronounced if the temps in the growing space never change and you basically end up with a constant temp baseline from veg through flower.

Purple Urkle was part of the original cross, and this strain in the wild grows in the hills Northern California where these cold nights are typical at the end of the flower cycle which naturally occurrs at the end of September into early October. The purple pigment is a plant defense against freezing, so obviously, the colder the temps, the more purple the plant produces.

This year my GDP didn't turn as dark a purple as the previous year cause we had several heat waves up here in the Sierra right at the end of the flower cycle! This slowed down the purple development quite a bit but the plant's trichome development did not slow with it, so I was forced to harvest them when the trichomes were at the right ratio of cloudy to amber, even though they had not fully finished their color change.

I should also mention that this pigment has no effect on the potency, smell or taste of the final product. It is purely cosmetic, but obviously, people who grow this strain would prefer it to be purple as would anyone who buys it from you. ;)

I believe he crossed the Famous clone only that you have with a Selfed male seed.

No there is no reference about temp in the original breeders pack. :Namaste:

I just defoliated a bunch of leaves off my GDP beast. I love how bushy this strain is.

Back
Top Bottom