Reassurance and advice for my 2 week olds please?

NKRPTD

Hi guys and gals,
this is my first grow and I'd appreciate some experienced eyes to look over this and tell me what you all think.

Plant info:
Early girl feminized seeds, 2 weeks ago today they surfaced from the soil after germination
In potting mix with some 1-0-0 worm castings mixed in, no other nutes currently
Outdoor in the sun and breeze everyday, and in the evenings bought into the sunroom for their safety
Watered every 1-2 days with tap and/or distilled water depending on outdoor temps and soil dryness.
Location is southern Ontario, Canada

x2 of them will be untouched controls, x1 I will 'FIM', and another I will 'TOP'.
Other than that I want to grow these as naturally as possible as nature intended, they will be transferred to 5 gallon buckets with lots of drainage, and a potting mix/vermiculite/worm casting media for outdoor growing.
I do not intend to be using nutrients heavily or PH testing etc, organic pest control if needed. As I said, as naturally as possible.

They seem to be growing well and seem very healthy. In the first picture below the far right plants first 'real' leaves are a light green, or lime green. In the second picture the one leaf has some tiny spotting.
Is this shade of green ok? The spotting is so minimal is it even something to worry about?

IMG_55998.JPG
IMG_55986.JPG

I have done lots of googling and reading, but to read some experienced thoughts and comments would be appreciated!

Regards

I would t worry to much about the seed leafes cause there going to fall off anyway,now the rest of the leafes especially look like maybe a little nitrogen def...I would say not enough..if there 2 weeks old you can feed them at 1/4 strength a d work your way up slowly. .I actually have e the same problem on one of my girls..but she is a lot older she is almost I weeks old she just started to show her sex
20160726_125625.jpg
20160726_125450.jpg
20160726_130113.jpg

hi and welcome.

the seeds have germed well so first hurdle is passed.

they look like they are hungry for nitrogen. my speciality is coco and hydroponic mediums but most principals are the same.

firstly DO NOT!!! over water, allow the soil to breathe and dry in between waterings.

id suggest adding a little grow nutrient at a strength of 1.0ec (500ppm on 500 conversion or 700ppm on 700 conversion) this will give plants a feed and help them start growing.

I would look for a complete super soil to pot them into once well rooted if you dont want to add nutrients. Plants need to feed so you need to provide that one way or the other. You can by quality organic liquids nowadays.

My suggestion would be as follows.

Add great white mycorrhizae for healthy strong roots
and an enzym like cannazym or senziym to keep soil and root zone healthy.
Add an organic grow liquid which is nitrogen rich starting at a strength of 1.0ec and building up to 1.4ec
liquid seaweed will also give a good health boost and build strong plants.

upon transplant add mycorrhizae direct to the rootzone when placing in larger pots on every transplant. for roots like this.

DSC_01499.JPG

use a quality organic bloom nutrient at a strength or 1.4-1.8ec depending on plant size when flipped to flower.

As I said soil isnt my speciality and there are better soil growers than me on here. However I have been growing a long long time and have many thousands of plants grown under me and thats what i would do if i wanted to stay organic.

Check this out for a soil mix, its too late for this grow but there is a general concensus that this is one of the best soil recipes for organic cannabis if you can take the time to make it you wont be disappointed. This is one way to do it and you can scale up or down. many vids on youtube.

Subcool Organic Super Soil Recipe - How to Make | Video Overview - YouTube

hope this helps.

Thanks for the pics and reply guys, great info and advice Cultivator!

I put them out this morning and when I got home at about 7pm (still light and over 18C) this is what I was greeted with...
IMG_56097.JPG
IMG_56106.JPG

Now I have been careful not to over water as I done that once it seemed, and I always follow the rule of dry up to first knuckle and a light pot. Still it seems they got too dry, could the small fibre pots have contributed?
I initially didnt think they'd be needed any nutes as of yet either, considering their 2 week age and had been potted in new potting mix.

As it happened, I have been searching for organic nutrients, but I felt I couldn't find what I wanted for them. After lots of searching and reading I found what I needed and picked them up today. Not completely Organic, but when I can relax about PH levels and nutrient lockout it was a no brainer - PH Perfect Sensi grow by Advanced nutrients.
IMG_56113.JPG

I got some larger pots and mixed in about a 40/60 mix of new Vermiculite and new soil and transferred them immediately, cutting away the old little fibre pots and being very delicate to not disturb the roots, then feed as per instructions, being sure to use distilled water.
IMG_56127.JPG

Coming home and seeing them like this sucked, but this should perk them right up and fix what I felt was a problem starting, and Culivator said what was in the back of my mind, they needed feeding. I'll update in a few days, thanks again guys.

IMG_56106.JPG

Now I have been careful not to over water as I done that once it seemed, and I always follow the rule of dry up to first knuckle and a light pot.

I think you're probably over watering. These two appear to still have wet soil and droopy leaves. When they need water, the stems will droop, not the leaves.

The soil on top will be dry after a day or two, making the knuckle test worthless. Let them grow until they start to wilt a little bit, don't give them any water until then. Fill a pot with your soil mix and let it sit to dry out. Water when the other pots feel like that. Plants that size in a 5 gallon pot shouldn't need more water for a couple/few weeks and the soil should still be supplying all the nutrients your plants need during that time.

I think you're probably over watering. These two appear to still have wet soil and droopy leaves. When they need water, the stems will droop, not the leaves.

The soil on top will be dry after a day or two, making the knuckle test worthless. Let them grow until they start to wilt a little bit, don't give them any water until then. Fill a pot with your soil mix and let it sit to dry out. Water when the other pots feel like that. Plants that size in a 5 gallon pot shouldn't need more water for a couple/few weeks and the soil should still be supplying all the nutrients your plants need during that time.

I agree 100%

Over watered. Wait for them to just barely start to wilt. They do not like wet feet.

I agree 100%

Over watered. Wait for them to just barely start to wilt. They do not like wet feet.

No you're not seeing any wet soil there at all. They had been left to go bone dry and like I said it appears I let them get too dry. The soil had turned into a hard dry lump of which almost turned to dust when I re-potted them.

From what I have read here and other sites, a symptom of over watering is the leaves remaining firm but drooping from the stem. Exactly what had happened before this.
Now a symptom of under watering is the leaves going limp and wilting which is exactly what they had done, plus the bone dry soil is a dead giveaway to. My mistakes and we learn as we go.

Well after re-potting and feeding they are doing much better:

IMG_56487.JPG

The stems on all of them above the dead cotyledons are also starting to get thicker, the yellowed leaves are also mostly green again and new growth is looking good too.
They are feminized so I expected to see it show as female at the nodes which it does, but then one of them is confusing me a bit:
The one plant in the foreground of the picture has white 'furry' pistils coming from the centre of the new growth at the top and it looks like it may be starting to flower already?! Sorry I cant focus enough to take a decent picture of it.
They are all 3 weeks and 2 days old from surfacing and all get the same outdoor light and watering/feeding, so why would one be starting to flower and the others not?? If its not flowering I dont know, otherwise its way to early for it to be doing this...

See what happens over the next week

They do look better. Good job.

Depending on what latitude you're at, outdoor plants will be starting to flower now. I'm at 35N and it's time to flower here.
When you bring them in at night, are you giving them more light to keep them vegging? Or, are you letting them go dark as the sun sets?

Do not water every few days. Drench them completely then leave them to dry out. In the new pots that could easily take 1-2 weeks.
After two weeks in those tiny cups, they were more than ready for the up-potting. They were very dry before up-potting. That's why I don't like clay or fiber pots. They wick moisture from the soil.
The only thing I don't like about the up-potting is the mix of soil and vermiculite. It should work but wouldn't be my first choice for a mix. Also, the pots are not full. Are you going to up-pot again? If so, fill those pots to the rim. The soil will compact to leave a little room at the top for watering.
Pistils already? Are they autos? If not, taking them in at night will cause problems unless you have them under lights with a timer.

They do look better. Good job.

Depending on what latitude you're at, outdoor plants will be starting to flower now. I'm at 35N and it's time to flower here.
When you bring them in at night, are you giving them more light to keep them vegging? Or, are you letting them go dark as the sun sets?

Cheers. 44N according to google, is there a chart to go by for latitude and flowering?
I have recently started leaving them outside full time now and they get light from about 6.30am and it gets dark about 9.00pm. The one showing pistils I have bought inside to put under a CFL for another 3-4hrs of light before I put it back outside with the others.

Do not water every few days. Drench them completely then leave them to dry out. In the new pots that could easily take 1-2 weeks.
After two weeks in those tiny cups, they were more than ready for the up-potting. They were very dry before up-potting. That's why I don't like clay or fiber pots. They wick moisture from the soil.
The only thing I don't like about the up-potting is the mix of soil and vermiculite. It should work but wouldn't be my first choice for a mix. Also, the pots are not full. Are you going to up-pot again? If so, fill those pots to the rim. The soil will compact to leave a little room at the top for watering.
Pistils already? Are they autos? If not, taking them in at night will cause problems unless you have them under lights with a timer.

I thought those small fibre pots had played role, didn't help much being a newb at this end of MJ either..ha.
Yes I plan on up potting again into 5 gallon containers, I also thought today that I should put some more soil in the pots, I will do that in the morning then.
No they are just feminized, strain is early girl. The one with the pistils I just started bringing it indoor under a light for an additional 3-4hrs and then I put it back outside to catch the sunrise in the morning with the others.
What problems do you think/know I'd run into doing this? Would it be better to just leave it be as it is? None of the others are doing this and they are the same plants under the same conditions

Cheers

You can bring a plant inside as long as you keep the photoperiod consistent and long enough to keep it from blooming until you are ready for it to do so. I thought the pistils on such a young plant might be from the days being cut short by going inside (dark). If the day lengths vary much, I get concerned about the stress it causes (weird growth with single-bladed leaves, hermie, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom