RetiredRN Gorilla Glue, Northern Lights 2021 First Time Grower

I'm sure you know that those pipe cleaners if they get wet they rust so be careful imo.
looks nice but , yummy
I actually never thought about that. Thanks for telling me. So what should I use to hold her up??

Hey @Bill284 ! So these 2 girls just completed 48 hours of dark and I cut them just now. My RH is 46% (thats as good as I can get it) and my temp is 68.9F. I’m drying in a small 2x2 grow tent. My question is, do I need to run a small fan in there or is the air exchange that happens several times a minute in the tent going to be enough to safely drive to Bud’s?

630D48BA-6000-42BE-8650-4566D73454AB.jpeg

Regarding "burning":
Take a look at this picture and notice all the yellow tips that the modern growing world considers to be "burning."

DSCF9136.JPG

This is my current Poison Daddy, growing like crazy and about a week into bloom. She constantly shows this symptom... but here is the point. She is not being fed traditional nutes. She is being fed organically, using Geoflora Nutrients. She is not being overfed. She is in the organic feeding cycle, where the microbes and the plants form a symbiotic relationship and the plant tells the microbes exactly what nutrients it needs and in what quantities. So, is the plant overfeeding itself and burning those leaves??

Every organically grown plant I have seen, does this. Whether I am using the TLO organic method and applying regular Actively Aerated Compost Teas, Realgrower's Recharge to supply the microbes, or Geoflora as I am now using... every organic grow acts this way.

There is also an adage out there for those who do use traditional fertilizers, that if you are not at least "burning" the tips, you aren't trying hard enough. So I went to my AG professor to ask about this... does organic growing really burn the plants?

It turns out that the tip burn that we all look for, is not actually a burn, but is a sign of a process that is going on in the plant that has had enough of nutrient and is signaling to the microbes below that it does not need any more for right now. The very same process is happening at the tips of the leaves and the tips of the roots... the message down below is that these roots no longer are taking the nutrient... come back later. Of course, the leaves being mirrors of what is happening at the roots, show the same indicator... we have had enough on this round. My prof explained that this tiny "burn" at the tips of the leaves is akin to a good belch after a great meal, and just as this is a complement to the chef in some areas of the world, it is also an indication that all is perfectly well fed... it is not always simply an indication that you have given too much.
Awesome explanation! Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge. I’m grateful for you!

Hey @Bill284 ! So these 2 girls just completed 48 hours of dark and I cut them just now. My RH is 46% (thats as good as I can get it) and my temp is 68.9F. I’m drying in a small 2x2 grow tent. My question is, do I need to run a small fan in there or is the air exchange that happens several times a minute in the tent going to be enough to safely drive to Bud’s?

630D48BA-6000-42BE-8650-4566D73454AB.jpeg
60 rh 60 f is where I like to be. Your rh is worrisome to me. And the better part of 70 f...
I'd try to get your rh up or your just going to suck the moisture out of your buds .
Ok your question if you don't have any air circulation in a 2x2 you risk mold.
Your going to need some air circulation with out air blowing on your lovely lady.
With out seeing exactly what you have available i can't tell you the best way to achieve that.
With all the work,time and effort you have into her i would NOT RISK trying to dry her at 46 rh.
Can you buy a humidifier and put it in the room your tent is in? :Namaste:
Bill

60 rh 60 f is where I like to be. Your rh is worrisome to me. And the better part of 70 f...
I'd try to get your rh up or your just going to suck the moisture out of your buds .
Your going to need some air circulation with out air blowing on your lovely lady.
With out seeing exactly what you have available i can't tell you the best way to achieve that.
With all the work,time and effort you have into her i would NOT RISK trying to dry her at 46 rh.
Bill
Hi guys - unsolicited, but maybe this'll help - it worked real well for me drying in my tent the first time to have my circulation fans at the bottom, on the floor, under the buds that are hanging. NOT facing up, but horizontal to the ground. I have a five by five so I had one fan in each corner. You could achieve the same idea with two fans in the two by two in opposite corners. You arrange the fans so they blow the SAME direction. This will create a "swirling vortex" in the tent which will then be drawn upwards by your exhaust fan/filter setup. I left the AC running, and my humidity was around 55%. The temperature in that scenario with the AC on high was around 63 degrees. That worked unbelievably well. So if that helps at all....

Bill
Ok I got a humidifier from the corner hardware and I had a small desk top 3 speed fan I found in the out building so I hooked both up and will report back in a few hours what my readings are. I have the fan on low right now and pointed straight toward a tent corner.

Hi guys - unsolicited, but maybe this'll help - it worked real well for me drying in my tent the first time to have my circulation fans at the bottom, on the floor, under the buds that are hanging. NOT facing up, but horizontal to the ground. I have a five by five so I had one fan in each corner. You could achieve the same idea with two fans in the two by two in opposite corners. You arrange the fans so they blow the SAME direction. This will create a "swirling vortex" in the tent which will then be drawn upwards by your exhaust fan/filter setup. I left the AC running, and my humidity was around 55%. The temperature in that scenario with the AC on high was around 63 degrees. That worked unbelievably well. So if that helps at all....
Yes! All people Are welcome in my grow journal I just tagged Bill because I know he had put something out recently about drying. I have a 3 Speed desktop and that I put in the floor of the tent And I have the humidifier running near the intake on the outside of the tent. We’re entering into our summer where I am from and so it is 75° outside so we are running the AC in the house but I can’t crank it down below 68 or we will be freezing in here so my temp in the tent will hopefully drop some more since I added the fan inside.

Yes! All people Are welcome in my grow journal I just tagged Bill because I know he had put something out recently about drying. I have a 3 Speed desktop and that I put in the floor of the tent And I have the humidifier running near the intake on the outside of the tent. We’re entering into our summer where I am from and so it is 75° outside so we are running the AC in the house but I can’t crank it down below 68 or we will be freezing in here so my temp in the tent will hopefully drop some more since I added the fan inside.
Gotcha. Well Bill has a ton more experience than me, but it sounds like he and I agree that humidity is your concern primarily and it's connected to temperature. If you got the humidifier and the multiple fans you should be okay is what I would think. My understanding is that Bill is basically saying there's a balance point between drying the buds too fast where you're losing terpenes and trichome quality VERSUS drying them too slowly and in too wet an environment where you then risk bud rot, which frankly would be WAY worse. Your job, I think, is to find the balance point. At least that's kind of how I understand it. If it were me I would err on the side of low humidity based on the size and apparent density of your buds, but that's just me.

Gotcha. Well Bill has a ton more experience than me, but it sounds like he and I agree that humidity is your concern primarily and it's connected to temperature. If you got the humidifier and the multiple fans you should be okay is what I would think. My understanding is that Bill is basically saying there's a balance point between drying the buds too fast where you're losing terpenes and trichome quality VERSUS drying them too slowly and in too wet an environment where you then risk bud rot, which frankly would be WAY worse. Your job, I think, is to find the balance point. At least that's kind of how I understand it. If it were me I would err on the side of low humidity based on the size and apparent density of your buds, but that's just me.
Yes. I don’t want to lose any potency. For me to smoke anything with less than 20% THC is like peeing in the wind. That’s why I chose the gorilla glue and the northern lights as the two strains I wanted to grow for their potency and really nothing else. My other two plants trichomes are mostly cloudy when I checked them today. I did not water them today and will drought them for the next 2 to 3 days and then put them in dark for 48 hours and cut them probably this weekend . then that concludes my first grow!! I will be posting pictures of buds in jars with the total grams after they completely dry.

Yes. I don’t want to lose any potency. For me to smoke anything with less than 20% THC is like peeing in the wind. That’s why I chose the gorilla glue and the northern lights as the two strains I wanted to grow for their potency and really nothing else. My other two plants trichomes are mostly cloudy when I checked them today. I did not water them today and will drought them for the next 2 to 3 days and then put them in dark for 48 hours and cut them probably this weekend . then that concludes my first grow!! I will be posting pictures of buds in jars with the total grams after they completely dry.
I hear you on the tolerance thing man. I go to the dispensary and just ask, "whatchoo got over 25%?" Then they always try to sell you 16% weed with the terpene argument. Gimme a break. I'm well aware there's the occasional weed of low THC level that gets you legit stoned cuz it has the perfect terpene profile for your particular body, but for people who apparently smoke like us, that is few and far between. Although I will say that Jack Herer at 20% often sends me into orbit. I may try growing her next time to try a classic.

Can't wait to see what your yield is! Did you have enough fun with these autos to grow them again?
Regarding "burning":
Take a look at this picture and notice all the yellow tips that the modern growing world considers to be "burning."

DSCF9136.JPG

This is my current Poison Daddy, growing like crazy and about a week into bloom. She constantly shows this symptom... but here is the point. She is not being fed traditional nutes. She is being fed organically, using Geoflora Nutrients. She is not being overfed. She is in the organic feeding cycle, where the microbes and the plants form a symbiotic relationship and the plant tells the microbes exactly what nutrients it needs and in what quantities. So, is the plant overfeeding itself and burning those leaves??

Every organically grown plant I have seen, does this. Whether I am using the TLO organic method and applying regular Actively Aerated Compost Teas, Realgrower's Recharge to supply the microbes, or Geoflora as I am now using... every organic grow acts this way.

There is also an adage out there for those who do use traditional fertilizers, that if you are not at least "burning" the tips, you aren't trying hard enough. So I went to my AG professor to ask about this... does organic growing really burn the plants?

It turns out that the tip burn that we all look for, is not actually a burn, but is a sign of a process that is going on in the plant that has had enough of nutrient and is signaling to the microbes below that it does not need any more for right now. The very same process is happening at the tips of the leaves and the tips of the roots... the message down below is that these roots no longer are taking the nutrient... come back later. Of course, the leaves being mirrors of what is happening at the roots, show the same indicator... we have had enough on this round. My prof explained that this tiny "burn" at the tips of the leaves is akin to a good belch after a great meal, and just as this is a complement to the chef in some areas of the world, it is also an indication that all is perfectly well fed... it is not always simply an indication that you have given too much.
Question about this post:

Let's say you just upped your nutrient percentage and you just watered the plants for their first time with the new mix. Now let's say you do NOT get yellow tips where maybe on an earlier nute mix you were, just as you describe in the post. Would that be a reasonably reliable indicator that you could maybe pump MORE nutes into them?

I hear you on the tolerance thing man. I go to the dispensary and just ask, "whatchoo got over 25%?" Then they always try to sell you 16% weed with the terpene argument. Gimme a break. I'm well aware there's the occasional weed of low THC level that gets you legit stoned cuz it has the perfect terpene profile for your particular body, but for people who apparently smoke like us, that is few and far between. Although I will say that Jack Herer at 20% often sends me into orbit. I may try growing her next time to try a classic.

Can't wait to see what your yield is! Did you have enough fun with these autos to grow them again?

Question about this post:

Let's say you just upped your nutrient percentage and you just watered the plants for their first time with the new mix. Now let's say you do NOT get yellow tips where maybe on an earlier nute mix you were, just as you describe in the post. Would that be a reasonably reliable indicator that you could maybe pump MORE nutes into them?
For the most part it was fun but the gorilla glue plant gave me problems from about week two all the way to week 13 with brown spots and I was never able to figure out what was wrong but I think I’ll have a good yield from her and I will probably always grow autos. I also have learned that nutrient burn on the tips it’s not actually a bad thing because it tells you that the plant has plenty of nutrients and I have had nutrient burn most of my grow and I think it was probably a good thing

For the most part it was fun but the gorilla glue plant gave me problems from about week two all the way to week 13 with brown spots and I was never able to figure out what was wrong but I think I’ll have a good yield from her and I will probably always grow autos. I also have learned that nutrient burn on the tips it’s not actually a bad thing because it tells you that the plant has plenty of nutrients and I have had nutrient burn most of my grow and I think it was probably a good thing
Yeah did you get that from the Emilya post about the yellow tips? That post was awesome and made me feel better about my grow. Lmao.

Hey @Bill284 @InTheShed @Jon . So my fan that I put in the bottom of my small grow tent that I’m drying two of my girls in has been running several hours and so has the humidifier that I got. The humidifier has ran nonstop at the highest speed it will go in the small bedroom that my tents are in will only get up to 47% humidity it won’t go any higher. My temperature in the tent is 68.2 Fahrenheit and I can’t get it any lower. So this really sucks that I spent more than three months growing my weed and now I’m not going to be able to dry it properly.

Hey @Bill284 @InTheShed @Jon . So my fan that I put in the bottom of my small grow tent that I’m drying two of my girls in has been running several hours and so has the humidifier that I got. The humidifier has ran nonstop at the highest speed it will go in the small bedroom that my tents are in will only get up to 47% humidity it won’t go any higher. My temperature in the tent is 68.2 Fahrenheit and I can’t get it any lower. So this really sucks that I spent more than three months growing my weed and now I’m not going to be able to dry it properly.
That idea from @InTheShed is the first place I was going to. Another idea is to use all your space and put as much space as possible between your hanging buds. Like, if you hung it as a whole plant (can't remember) cut the branches down individually and separate them. That would give them more space to sweat. But personally I would also say that if you're at 68 degrees and 47% humidity you're going to be fine. Really, you will. I say that because despite my best efforts, I was growing my first grow during the summer months here which meant that when I dried in my tent, just as you are now, the best I could do was 64-65 degrees, and about 45% humidity. Cuz if I sacrificed the AC to let the humidity get higher, my temperature went to hell. So I had to go with it and my buds were DENSE. You can see a finished one on page one of my journal and you can see how dense I'm talking. At least as dense as what yours appear to be. And they were JUST FINE. They maybe dried a day or a day and a half quicker. BUT - I also have the super secret curing method that takes care of that. Don't know if you saw it, I posted it last week somewhere, step by step. If you didn't and you're interested I can dig it up. And that method could be used exactly where you are now if you chose to use it. But it requires ten more days of patience that when you think you're ready to jar your weed. Lemme know cuz it's involved to write up if I can't find it, lol. I believe it's magic though.

Please don't fret, you're going to be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom