RetiredRN Gorilla Glue, Northern Lights 2021 First Time Grower

Is the exhaust fan still running? If so, turn it off to keep the humidity in the tent.
The exhaust fan is on a variable speed controller and it is as low as it will go. I have to keep it running because of the odor.

That idea from @InTheShed is the first place I was going to. Another idea is to use all your space and put as much space as possible between your hanging buds. Like, if you hung it as a whole plant (can't remember) cut the branches down individually and separate them. That would give them more space to sweat. But personally I would also say that if you're at 68 degrees and 47% humidity you're going to be fine. Really, you will. I say that because despite my best efforts, I was growing my first grow during the summer months here which meant that when I dried in my tent, just as you are now, the best I could do was 64-65 degrees, and about 45% humidity. Cuz if I sacrificed the AC to let the humidity get higher, my temperature went to hell. So I had to go with it and my buds were DENSE. You can see a finished one on page one of my journal and you can see how dense I'm talking. At least as dense as what yours appear to be. And they were JUST FINE. They maybe dried a day or a day and a half quicker. BUT - I also have the super secret curing method that takes care of that. Don't know if you saw it, I posted it last week somewhere, step by step. If you didn't and you're interested I can dig it up. And that method could be used exactly where you are now if you chose to use it. But it requires ten more days of patience that when you think you're ready to jar your weed. Lemme know cuz it's involved to write up if I can't find it, lol. I believe it's magic though.

Please don't fret, you're going to be just fine.
I do remember seeing that post. I’m going to keep a close watch on those two plants I have a drying right now. The other two will be ready to go into darkness in about four days because their trichomes are almost all cloudy so I may transfer things into my big grow tent to finish drying if they don’t dry before then.

For the most part it was fun but the gorilla glue plant gave me problems from about week two all the way to week 13 with brown spots and I was never able to figure out what was wrong but I think I’ll have a good yield from her and I will probably always grow autos. I also have learned that nutrient burn on the tips it’s not actually a bad thing because it tells you that the plant has plenty of nutrients and I have had nutrient burn most of my grow and I think it was probably a good thing
im with you bro:cool:

That idea from @InTheShed is the first place I was going to. Another idea is to use all your space and put as much space as possible between your hanging buds. Like, if you hung it as a whole plant (can't remember) cut the branches down individually and separate them. That would give them more space to sweat. But personally I would also say that if you're at 68 degrees and 47% humidity you're going to be fine. Really, you will. I say that because despite my best efforts, I was growing my first grow during the summer months here which meant that when I dried in my tent, just as you are now, the best I could do was 64-65 degrees, and about 45% humidity. Cuz if I sacrificed the AC to let the humidity get higher, my temperature went to hell. So I had to go with it and my buds were DENSE. You can see a finished one on page one of my journal and you can see how dense I'm talking. At least as dense as what yours appear to be. And they were JUST FINE. They maybe dried a day or a day and a half quicker. BUT - I also have the super secret curing method that takes care of that. Don't know if you saw it, I posted it last week somewhere, step by step. If you didn't and you're interested I can dig it up. And that method could be used exactly where you are now if you chose to use it. But it requires ten more days of patience that when you think you're ready to jar your weed. Lemme know cuz it's involved to write up if I can't find it, lol. I believe it's magic though.

Please don't fret, you're going to be just fine.
Sorry to keep dropping in on your stuffs from Ossie
i think @Jon advice to separate them is worth considering imo.
hope yall had a good Easter.

Sorry to keep dropping in on your stuffs from Ossie
i think @Jon advice to separate them is worth considering imo.
hope yall had a good Easter.
The more thats drops by the merrier! My Easter was good. I hope yours was as well. I will revisit everything in the morning.

I do remember seeing that post. I’m going to keep a close watch on those two plants I have a drying right now. The other two will be ready to go into darkness in about four days because their trichomes are almost all cloudy so I may transfer things into my big grow tent to finish drying if they don’t dry before then.
Oh, so are you saying that in about four to five days you could, in theory, put all of it into the larger tent and use any fan power you have in there instead of the small one? Still with an exhaust fan/filter setup and still at say, 68 degrees? If that's true, wouldn't that give you plenty of extra space to separate the plants and the bigger buds from one another? (you don't have to worry too much about the smaller ones if you even have any, lol). That may be another good option for you.

Regarding drying, an experienced grower told me this as I approached my first harvest, and I listened to him and was very glad that I did. For what it's worth, he said:

"When you think your buds are dry enough to take down, let them dry at least one more day."

I can't speak to that other than that he was telling me that there's more moisture in the buds than is readily apparent to people with your and my level of experience, especially with dense buds. I believe he was telling me to not put as much stock in my fingers testing the dryness of the buds as I might have. So when I thought they were dry, I took his advice and let them hang drying for one more day - 24 more hours. And I believe they would have been exactly right at that point whether I used my curing method or the typical jar curing method. I never had to worry about that "hidden" moisture coming out into the jars after jarring them and having to leave the jars open for a long time to let it dry more or any of those pain in the ass things that are reasonably easily avoidable. I think about it like this - the buds weigh X when you harvest them. When they're dry, I mean properly dry, and then final trimmed, (if that's what you're going to do), you can expect them to weigh approximately 20% of X. In other words, you're going to lose 80% of the harvest weight or so, give or take. So let's say it takes your buds 8 days to dry (just an easy round number for the math). That means you lose approximately 10% of weight per day, right? Okay, so if that's the case, that extra 24 hours, in this scenario, is the difference between having 10% more water in the buds when you jar than you want. And it only took my first harvest 5 days to dry. Faster than I wanted due to the previously stated conditions. So I was losing one fifth of 80% per day (16%). 16%! I don't want 16% of extra moisture in my buds when I cure them.

I dunno. Maybe someone with experience will comment. I'm really just saying don't worry. You really can't screw it up THAT much given that you're on here. Lol.

Again, you know my experience is pretty much the same as yours, so if I were you I would listen to the experienced folks you have interacting with you - they know their stuff. They'll also tell you (or me) if I post a suggestion for you that's completely insane and inaccurate, lol! But you know what I'm saying. I'm just passing on what worked for me.

Oh, so are you saying that in about four to five days you could, in theory, put all of it into the larger tent and use any fan power you have in there instead of the small one? Still with an exhaust fan/filter setup and still at say, 68 degrees? If that's true, wouldn't that give you plenty of extra space to separate the plants and the bigger buds from one another? (you don't have to worry too much about the smaller ones if you even have any, lol). That may be another good option for you.

Regarding drying, an experienced grower told me this as I approached my first harvest, and I listened to him and was very glad that I did. For what it's worth, he said:

"When you think your buds are dry enough to take down, let them dry at least one more day."

I can't speak to that other than that he was telling me that there's more moisture in the buds than is readily apparent to people with your and my level of experience, especially with dense buds. I believe he was telling me to not put as much stock in my fingers testing the dryness of the buds as I might have. So when I thought they were dry, I took his advice and let them hang drying for one more day - 24 more hours. And I believe they would have been exactly right at that point whether I used my curing method or the typical jar curing method. I never had to worry about that "hidden" moisture coming out into the jars after jarring them and having to leave the jars open for a long time to let it dry more or any of those pain in the ass things that are reasonably easily avoidable. I think about it like this - the buds weigh X when you harvest them. When they're dry, I mean properly dry, and then final trimmed, (if that's what you're going to do), you can expect them to weigh approximately 20% of X. In other words, you're going to lose 80% of the harvest weight or so, give or take. So let's say it takes your buds 8 days to dry (just an easy round number for the math). That means you lose approximately 10% of weight per day, right? Okay, so if that's the case, that extra 24 hours, in this scenario, is the difference between having 10% more water in the buds when you jar than you want. And it only took my first harvest 5 days to dry. Faster than I wanted due to the previously stated conditions. So I was losing one fifth of 80% per day (16%). 16%! I don't want 16% of extra moisture in my buds when I cure them.

I dunno. Maybe someone with experience will comment. I'm really just saying don't worry. You really can't screw it up THAT much given that you're on here. Lol.

Again, you know my experience is pretty much the same as yours, so if I were you I would listen to the experienced folks you have interacting with you - they know their stuff. They'll also tell you (or me) if I post a suggestion for you that's completely insane and inaccurate, lol! But you know what I'm saying. I'm just passing on what worked for me.
So yes, by the next 4 or so days they will all be in my big tent together. Theres alot more space in there.

So yes, by the next 4 or so days they will all be in my big tent together. Theres alot more space in there.
You're golden. Just make sure you remember which ones had the four day head start or whatever it was. Lol!!:thumb:

Hey @RetiredRN I tried to read everything since I last talked to you but its too much so forgive me if I repeat something already said.
Humidifier from hardware store, and you have your exhaust fan on low for smell.
That extractor is dangerous. It will never let you control your 2x2 space.
Get something to put around filter section. Plastic bag duct tape anything.
Reduce the amount it can extract. Get your ac up to the intake hole at bottom of tent.
Are you handy?make a cover from cardboard box and duct tape.
One way or the other you have to get that moist air into the tent at a great rate than the extractor or your work is in jeopardy.
Bill

You're golden. Just make sure you remember which ones had the four day head start or whatever it was. Lol!!:thumb:
Yup, I will. I only have 4 plants and have them visually memorized.

Hey @RetiredRN I tried to read everything since I last talked to you but its too much so forgive me if I repeat something already said.
Reduce the amount it can extract. Get your ac up to the intake hole at bottom of tent.
One way or the other you have to get that moist air into the tent at a great rate than the extractor or your work is in jeopardy.
Bill
Ok, I’ll get working on it. How in the world does everyone else dry and combat the odor???

Ok, I’ll get working on it. How in the world does everyone else dry and combat the odor???

you don't. at least not really. you can hang them in area close to the extraction fan, but putting them in the same tent with it going will ruin up your bud but good. it''ll lose a lot of taste, and may retain more chlorophyll.

adding a humidifier will also promote bud rot like crazy when drying.

if you have low rh, bottle them up in the tent, and let them hang with the fan off. the rh will rise from the plants expiring moisture as they dry. keep an rh meter in the tent and monitor it. when the rh reaches the ambient rh in the rest of the house you'll be done.

it will be a shorter hang. i've done hangs under 20% rh as short as three days. don't worry about having to hang 7 days or whatever the bro science says. that myth was not built for all conditions.

the trick is to make sure they hit the jars while they still have 60% or so left in them. add 62% boveda packs and burp as normal. the cure in the jars is what will make or break you.

with low rh don't worry about the odour. they aren't gonna hang long enough to make a big stink lol :cheesygrinsmiley:

edit : it also helps to hang the plant whole. you don't have to trim it out to individual branches, just strip the fans and hang.

Bill

you don't. at least not really. you can hang them in area close to the extraction fan, but putting them in the same tent with it going will ruin up your bud but good. it''ll lose a lot of taste, and may retain more chlorophyll.

adding a humidifier will also promote bud rot like crazy when drying.

if you have low rh, bottle them up in the tent, and let them hang with the fan off. the rh will rise from the plants expiring moisture as they dry. keep an rh meter in the tent and monitor it. when the rh reaches the ambient rh in the rest of the house you'll be done.

it will be a shorter hang. i've done hangs under 20% rh as short as three days. don't worry about having to hang 7 days or whatever the bro science says. that myth was not built for all conditions.

the trick is to make sure they hit the jars while they still have 60% or so left in them. add 62% boveda packs and burp as normal. the cure in the jars is what will make or break you.

with low rh don't worry about the odour. they aren't gonna hang long enough to make a big stink lol :cheesygrinsmiley:

edit : it also helps to hang the plant whole. you don't have to trim it out to individual branches, just strip the fans and hang.
That's the second experienced person to say to not use the extraction fan. How come? The filter controls the odor if the fan is not running? Didn't know that. Also I guess the exhaust fan pulls too much moisture from the buds and they dry too quickly and lose quality? Why would taking the moisture out too quickly cause bud rot? Thought bud rot was from too much moisture? It is not necessary to have negative pressure in the tent in order to dry your weed if you have AC going into the tent? (sorry to ask a bunch of questions in your post RN, hoping we can both learn here cuz obviously you shouldn't listen to me. As I tried to mention may be the case. Lol)

Bill
You also say to not use the exhaust fan. Three times now I've heard that. Guess I am really off on my ideas on drying. I have AC going in the tent as you know. In that scenario, drying in the tent, still not use the exhaust fan? If I can create conditions just like inside my house inside the tent is that ideal for drying? That's 76 degrees and about 55-60% humidity. That's easy. But it seems warmer than I would want. I can actually create around 65 degrees and 55% humidity. Is that closer to what I want for drying? I want them to dry slowly. Although I really came out with good well dried weed that smoked perfectly even before the cure on my first grow, and that was dried using the exhaust fan, AC into the tent, and the temps were around 68 and humidity around 50-60% and they dried in four days. And if you don't use the exhaust fan when pumping AC into the tent and fans running, how do you replace/circulate the air in the tent?

That's the second experienced person to say to not use the extraction fan. How come? The filter controls the odor if the fan is not running? Didn't know that.

no it doesn't. you just bottle it up in the the tent or grow space.
when done drying you can run the extractor for an hour two and it'll clear any residual odour out.

Also I guess the exhaust fan pulls too much moisture from the buds and they dry too quickly and lose quality?

yes precisely

Why would taking the moisture out too quickly cause bud rot? Thought bud rot was from too much moisture?

you got it squirreled up. i said don't run a humidifier, which will add humidity, not decrease it.
and yes moisture helps cause bud rot.

It is not necessary to have negative pressure in the tent in order to dry your weed if you have AC going into the tent?

it depends on your overall conditions and what your ambient rh percentage is. i normally wouldn't run ac. ac works by drying the air, reducing rh.

i was answering in response to the conditions @RetiredRN is working with. i am unfamiliar with your set of conditions which would differ probably, and that would alter how i would approach it.

That's the second experienced person to say to not use the extraction fan. How come? The filter controls the odor if the fan is not running? Didn't know that. Also I guess the exhaust fan pulls too much moisture from the buds and they dry too quickly and lose quality? Why would taking the moisture out too quickly cause bud rot? Thought bud rot was from too much moisture? It is not necessary to have negative pressure in the tent in order to dry your weed if you have AC going into the tent? (sorry to ask a bunch of questions in your post RN, hoping we can both learn here cuz obviously you shouldn't listen to me. As I tried to mention may be the case. Lol)
Hey @RetiredRN
Hope alls well with the world.
My humidity in the tent runs in the 50% range usually. That’s with a fan pulling in and a big ass exhaust going out. When I was trying to get the temp up st night,a couple of months ago. I tried turning the exhaust off and my humidity went up to 80%. That was a no go for me as I’d had a little bud rot before.
Your the other way around and you want more humidity. have you tried the old ,sitting a bucket of water or 2 in the tent,with a towel or 2 hanging out over the top acting as a wick?
Y never know?
Peace an buds to ya

Back
Top Bottom