Reverse Osmosis - what are you using?

Re: Reverse Osmosis..what are you using?

I got my Reverse Osmosis system today!!! Wow I am impressed.

Shipping came in just 5 day's after the order was placed online, i talked to customer service and they were helpful, friendly, and knew there products well which was very comforting.

The unit came fully assembled as the filter, the DI unit was on a separate mountable rack. I also ordered a sink diverter valve so I can easily switch between sink and R/O water which installed very quickly. Plenty of tubing came with the unit so I was able to cut to desired length. All of the connectors are as simple as shoving the hose in and it's done... awesome!!

So upon hooking up the system, which took a whole 10 minutes if even that, I also installed a ball valve so I could switch between R/O water for drinking, and R/O with DI water for plants...

The system was instructed to run for 1 hour before use to flush out any carbon and extra materials used in manufacture so I did this and an hour later I tested the output to see how fast I was getting water...

I used a 2.5 gallon jug from the store and it only took about 25 minutes to fill up all the way.... pretty quick for a R/O without booster pump!!

DSC04058.JPG
DSC04059.JPG
DSC04060.JPG
DSC040611.JPG

Waste Water tube

DSC04063.JPG

Drinking water output
DSC04064.JPG

Now the true test...

I tested the PPM of the sink water directly out the sink, out of the R/O and out of the R/O with DI and here are the results...

regular sink water

DSC04076.JPG

R/O water without DI

DSC04079.JPG

R/O water with DI

DSC04078.JPG

Labeled the output tubes so I didn't get confused :)

DSC04062.JPG

I wasn't able to test the PH of the water due to my PH meter's batteries getting low, and with R/O and D/I water, sometimes the electrode wont read accurately because there is no conductivity of pure water... Will try with the drops and show pics of my digital when its done :

Hope this helps anyone...took lots of research to make this decision and really happy I did.. :)

Hey Icemud, can you run a test and determine how much wastewater is discharged to produce five gallons of pure? (Thanks!)

Hey Icemud, can you run a test and determine how much wastewater is discharged to produce five gallons of pure? (Thanks!)

Sure thing buddie!! give me few days and ill post... I'm guessing that since i have pretty decent water pressure, its probably going to be a 2:1 or 3:1 wastewater ratio... just judging by how fast it come out both tubes...

they had another additional add=on that I could have purchased that has 2 R/O membranes and has very little waste water, but it was another 60$..

I ran the system today and had 2 5 gallon buckets side by side...one for the wastewater, one for the purified water.... this unit performed much better than expected. It took 2x 5 gallon buckets of wastewater for 1 bucket of purified water...so that is approx a 2:1 ratio...not too bad for a portable system..

Also, the ppm of the water that came out today was only 002ppm, and it may have been 0 but I didn't scrub my bucket before use... still pretty impressive coming from 250+ppm water

I didn't keep the time that it took to fill up a 5 gallon bucket, but would estimate about an hour, maybe less...

Awesome info Icemud.

I am in need of one of these sooner or later. Been buying 28g once a week at the store.

My question is, for my bathroom, how do you hook it up to the faucet?
Is that the optimal location hooking up at the faucet or is under sink ez to do also?

How much are filter replacements and how often?

I can place the unit on the floor no problem.

Turns out the contraption I have under our kitchen sink in this rental house is an ro unit. But the ppm is 500+.

Bassman59 said:
Turns out the contraption I have under our kitchen sink in this rental house is an ro unit. But the ppm is 500+.

Sounds like it's running everything through the bypass. Have you tried new filters?

Sounds like it's running everything through the bypass. Have you tried new filters?

Not quite sure what you mean...? the whole unit including filters is new. If your refering to the waste water, 2:1 is actually very good for a tankless, non pump system.

Not quite sure what you mean...? the whole unit including filters is new. If your refering to the waste water, 2:1 is actually very good for a tankless, non pump system.

I was replying to the post directly before my reply. I edited my reply to reflect that. Sorry for the confusion. Must be on a party-line thread, lol.

Awesome info Icemud.

I am in need of one of these sooner or later. Been buying 28g once a week at the store.

My question is, for my bathroom, how do you hook it up to the faucet?
Is that the optimal location hooking up at the faucet or is under sink ez to do also?

How much are filter replacements and how often?

I can place the unit on the floor no problem.

500+ ppm...wow, is that a water softener that you are looking at? thats incredibly high... if it is a R/O system, chances are you need to replace the membrane as well as any pre-filters. May want to look into somthing like I picked up... it will attach to your sink, as long as the thread is a standard thread, if not you just have to pick up an adapter at the local hardware store..

As far as I read, generally your sediment filter should be replaced every 3-6 months for heavy sediment water, and about 1x a year for city water.

Carbon filters from what I found out generally last about 1 year as well..

reverse osmosis membranes I read should be changed about 1x every 3-5 years, but that is usually if chlorine tears up the membrane, if you are running carbon block filters and change them regularly, then the membrane shouldnt have to be changed at all...

This is all from what I gathered over my research on R/O systems... as far as cost...you will have to look that one up.. all really depends on what kind of filters you buy I would imagine...

I was replying to the post directly before my reply. I edited my reply to reflect that. Sorry for the confusion. Must be on a party-line thread, lol.

Its funny, I actually realized it after I pushed post...couldnt find where to delete the post...lmao...its all good bro.

Nope, I'll see what I can find on the brand, model, etc. I'm sure filters are needed. We havent touched it in 4 yrs in this house. The unit goes to one of those small spigots on the double sink the only pours out lower pressure small streams of water.

BRS 3 Stage Space Saver RO System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply
Its $80 and works great. Not designed to be mounted or part of your regular plumbing, which is what I wanted. I just have it sitting by my utility room faucet. Makes a gallon in about 16 minutes, although that is largely based on how high your water pressure is.

BRS 3 Stage Space Saver RO System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply
Its $80 and works great. Not designed to be mounted or part of your regular plumbing, which is what I wanted. I just have it sitting by my utility room faucet. Makes a gallon in about 16 minutes, although that is largely based on how high your water pressure is.

I bought my R/O system from that site too... they have an option where you can customize one, I spent about 180$ and got a 4 filter unit with DI. My system with D/I puts out 0ppm water and without the D/I switched on, usually its about 10ppm-20ppm. Without any filter my water is 400+ppm. I purchased a 1micron sediment filter, .6 carbon block filter, choromine carbon filter, 75GPH R/O membrane and a Deionizing Filter that is attached by a T valve, so for drinking water I can leave the D/I off but when using water for my plants I can switch it on and get a 0ppm. I have pretty strong water pressure at my place, so it takes around 80 minutes to fill up a 5 gallon bucket...

One thing I learned with R/O systems....there is going to be one time at least you forget to set a timer, or leave your system on, and return to a flooded floor...lol...always set a timer :) or have a float valve :)

hey so im thinking about getting me a ro system aswell and I want to use it for drinking water and also for plants what system would you think would be ok the one that says ro/di ?

hey so im thinking about getting me a ro system aswell and I want to use it for drinking water and also for plants what system would you think would be ok the one that says ro/di ?

For my system I put a valve on the output of the RO water, so I can either run it through the DI for my plants, or cut off the DI and have R/O drinking water. I forget the technical name of the valve, but it was like 15 bucks or something from BRS.

Back
Top Bottom