Ripped Van Winkles Bubbling White Widow / Ice Journal - 2010

Clones, round two

Well, round one went to the root rot gods. Curse them... BUT with each failure I learn one more way NOT to clone.

For round two I have a better Humidity dome and a timer on the fogger. Problem is, the timer will only do 30 minute intervals... so I've set it at 30 minutes on, 90 minutes off. It ran continuously last time.

The SH Mystic Cloner instructions say to only run the timer 2-3 minutes an hour, but I'm going to guess this is tied to the general Humidity of the air too.

Humidity is the key they say. 90 - 95%

What is unsaid is whether that humidity reading is in the potential root zone, or within the dome above...

I have this clue:

Wilting = Increase the humidity level
Yellowing = Decrease the humidity level

Time will tell,

Peace from the Swamp Folks!

Re: Ripped van Winkles Bubbling White Widow/Ice Journal - 2010

Cool little grow Rip amigo. Will be watching over the next few weeks, what is average flowering time for those? about 10 weeks?

:peacetwo:

Flowering Time

The Widow is supposed to be 8-9 weeks, and the Ice 8 but until this last week I would have said the Widow would finish first. Now I don't know.

Being my first hydro grow that looks like it will be successful means I'm still learning. Haven't had good genetics for quite a while, but these are amazing. Both had stalked trichomes growing on the stems and leaves before they even sprouted "pre" flowers.

Nice plants. A bit of a roller coaster so far - but looks to be smoothing out nicely.

Good stuff!
:thumb:

Re: Papa Green

Thanks for the kind words, yes, it has been a bit up and down. But I'm very impressed with the ability to fix things in hydro. The only option to over fertilization with soil is to flush... translation = drown.

I have been attempting to keep good notes, and hope to avoid some mistakes with the next go. These two plants look to provide me with enough stash to get through the summer without plants stinking up the neighborhood!

I'm excited about that... and determined to get cloning down... in the method that has worked for everything else in my life, to quote Jim Croce, "I learn the hard way every time." ... but I do eventually learn...!

Re: Papa Green

Thanks for the kind words, yes, it has been a bit up and down. But I'm very impressed with the ability to fix things in hydro. The only option to over fertilization with soil is to flush... translation = drown.

I have been attempting to keep good notes, and hope to avoid some mistakes with the next go. These two plants look to provide me with enough stash to get through the summer without plants stinking up the neighborhood!

I'm excited about that... and determined to get cloning down... in the method that has worked for everything else in my life, to quote Jim Croce, "I learn the hard way every time." ... but I do eventually learn...!

I like the quick response of hydro as well. You phrased it perfectly. Easy to fix - but you gotta check it every day seems like.

Your learning curve will be dramatic. I know mine was. Between first and second hydro grows you will be amazed how much stuff just goes easier.

The cloning can be a nightmare at first. The devil is in the details with cloning, and I still don't get real consistent results. I have good survival rate, but the fact that they're not all the same size shows little mistakes in my technique. #1 thing I've improved lately is sterilizing everything. A noticeable improvement.

I think you've got all the ducks in a row to just keep having an easier time and getting better results at the same time! And as you said I think you'll have GREAT smoke to hold you over during the next grow - and that right there is a SOLID WIN!

:thumb::peacetwo:

Im surprised actually, everything I have always been told is that soil gives you that error buffer whereas hydro does not and if something goes wrong then you need to correct it 5 times faster than you would in soil.

Of course, a lot of us do actually like to be tending them as much as possible so it would give that opportunity I spose. Until you wanna go on holiday for a few days lol

Either way , it has worked for you it seems and whatever way we grow the learning is enjoyable if we are getting some end product of course.

:thumb:

So true 3Lions. In hydro I find I must check everything, daily. Hoses, pumps, water levels. That's a down side. We have a trip to the ocean planned near the end of my current grow... and I'm hoping my temp gardener will only have to add plain water... we'll see.

The upside became very clear to me when I had over fertilized the Ice and WW. Drain the buckets, replace with more appropriate solution. Doing this to both plants took less than 30 minutes.

Had they been in soil... I would have overly saturated them with water trying to get the runoff to leach away some of the fertilizer. And when done, the plants then had to recover from their roots being super saturated.

I suppose it's partly a personal perspective thing. But just like when I took up snowboarding... I sold my skis and never looked back - I think I'm totally hooked on Hydro - and wanting to explore more... to the extent that I'm planning an outdoor rig to grow strawberries (oops, can I type that in a mj journal?)

God yeahh, who wants big sticky out skiis when you have a board?! lol

To be fair i have just leached mine for first time ever and never saw any problem with them at all, in fact they seem to have loved it. Guess it can depend on the conditions, the strains, the patterns etc

Horses for courses tho definately and I always insist that confidence is half the battle!

There are a lot of folks doing amazing things in soil grows. I'm just not one of them. If I didn't over fertilize I wouldn't have the issues I did have. Don't mind saying I've been a crap soil grower. My last SS Haze produced well for me but the buds were maybe 1/4 the size of pics I've seen on line.

I'm kind of a techno-buff when I get into things... maybe I really only like hydro better cause there's so much stuff to mess around with... LOL humans are funny creatures!

loll yeahh I know exactly what you mean man, kinda why I think the confidence is so important, good vibes all that..

Im sure one day when I will be trying it myself and you might be the one to inspire me and indeed future generations! :-D

:peacetwo:

4 Weeks of Bloom

A week later... this is what I've got. I gotta say Hydro is impressive.

jnl_wk_14_1_.jpg

Here's a shot of the Ice, opened up via a bit of LST.

jnl_wk_14_2_.jpg

Impressive plants, was thinking of growing some ICE myself.... hope to see some more pics soon!

SG

White Widow and Ice at 5 Weeks Bloom

Since the Ice looks to be a bit behind the Widow I decided to phase in the Overdrive. I recall reading that Big Bud and OD could be fed together though the plant would only be affected by the one for it's current stage of growth.

I'll most likely drain and switch cleanly to the Overdrive next week.

jnl_wk_15_1_.jpg

Wow man looks great! Still can't believe that is only a 400w, a 600 would kill in that room. Keep it going, light at the end of the tunnel is in sight!

SG

Back
Top Bottom