Seriously unimpressed with a lot of the advice I am reading on here

seems that there is a competition out there to receive as much attention as possible by answering to every post out there

nothing really new there,,

but i am noticing some really inaccurate information being handed out like halloween candy

bad information is worse than no information,, just ask trump

please,, stick to the facts ma'am

A difficult thread to answer without causing trouble. I also enjoyed reading the other similar threads that this one brought up.

I think potential helpers-to-threads often stay quiet and let bad advice stand if it’s only minor - because they don’t want to step on the toes of the person who gave it, or have to argue about it if it happens to come from one of the super-opinionated types.
Kind of unfortunate for the OP but I guess they’ll learn the hard way down the road ha ha... :( We should know to always take free advice for what it’s worth. Buyer beware.

Myself I’d like to hope that people disagree with any bad advice including mine- but people will do what they do.

Sometimes if I’m reading nonsense but don’t want to ruffle feathers I just PM the OP to let them know to keep an open mind about what they’re being told. They’re generally grateful to have any help and it avoids stress.

The ignore button works well for filtering out anyone truly obnoxious. Life is too short.❤️

Yeah I see this problem to. I have told alot of new members to do research on the person giving advice. One member I see frequently giving advice and self proclaimed master has never grown a bud or a plant that impressed me.
My methods go against alot of the common practices so I keep my mouth shut for the most part. I guess years of consistent growing experience, high quality bud and great yields doesn't necessarily equate to knowing a damn thing but just being a silly backwoods boy that got lucky. Its funny for the most part but frustrating to be undermined when a guy is actually trying to help.

More than one way to skin a rabbit, too many cooks spoil the stew
Cannabis is the same way :rofl::reading420magazine::passitleft::lot-o-toke:

seems that there is a competition out there to receive as much attention as possible by answering to every post out there

nothing really new there,,

but i am noticing some really inaccurate information being handed out like halloween candy

bad information is worse than no information,, just ask trump

please,, stick to the facts ma'am
If you really see it as a competition, get out there and answer some more threads yourself then. You will probably need to spend as much time as I do online, if competition is your goal, and it won't be easy. I do not do what I do here to get attention, I get plenty of that already, but I choose to spend a good portion of my free time here, trying to help and pay it forward. I will submit to you that a hell of a lot of good information gets handed out by all of us who do likewise, I would say a lot more good information than bad. No one's perfect and I make mistakes all the time and admit it when I do but at least I and others like me are trying to help rather than complaining about the genuine effort that others are making on a daily/monthly/yearly basis.

If you feel that someone is intentionally giving out bad info, then please report it for us to investigate and intervene if needed.

@Marc Ocean can you please bump the thread in the back where we have been discussing the script that gives members rep points, to show who is established and credible vs who is new, etc. This would definitely help this situation, as member profiles would display their level of credibility and people asking questions could at least have that to go by. This is of course assuming the script works flawlessly and has no bugs or performance issues on large forums, and that people wouldn't play games and give negative reps to experienced members out of revenge. Let's do some more digging on this moving forward :thanks:

And anyone calling themself a master grower/gardener is an a-hole, there's new stuff to learn every day. Even the available master gardener certification through the university agriculture extension is a community service/research driven agreement where you help people solve their gardening issues through lots of research. The one in my state requires hundreds of hours in community service, so they weed out a lot of a-holes right there!

If you feel that someone is intentionally giving out bad info, then please report it for us to investigate and intervene if needed.

@Marc Ocean can you please bump the thread in the back where we have been discussing the script that gives members rep points, to show who is established and credible vs who is new, etc. This would definitely help this situation, as member profiles would display their level of credibility and people asking questions could at least have that to go by. This is of course assuming the script works flawlessly and has no bugs or performance issues on large forums, and that people wouldn't play games and give negative reps to experienced members out of revenge. Let's do some more digging on this moving forward :thanks:
The number of followers someone has says something very important about their credibility. Reps tends to become yet another popularity contest and it can be gamed in either direction because they can be given over and over again.
Someone follows an individual because they find value in what they put out, and they do not follow those who don't impress them in some important and fundamental way. Because of this, I find the number and the age of a member's followers to be a very good gauge of the overall respect that someone has gained on these forums, and one not judged by a point ranking based on a running popularity contest.

The number of followers someone has says something very important about their credibility. Reps tends to become yet another popularity contest and it can be gamed in either direction because they can be given over and over again.
Someone follows an individual because they find value in what they put out, and they do not follow those who don't impress them in some important and fundamental way. Because of this, I find the number and the age of a member's followers to be a very good gauge of the overall respect that someone has gained on these forums, and one not judged by a point ranking based on a running popularity contest.
I agree with you, however I THINK this script we looked at works around the popularity contest mindset. Just wanted you all to know we hear you and as always will look for a resolution for you. Let me do some digging and we'll get back to you.

The old reps system we had in the past was pretty cool IMO. I liked that reps were from member to member and anonymous. ‘Points’ don’t mean anything much of course but it was still a classy way to give someone a pat on the back or whatever.

oh, right,, i agree

folks still say it,, old timers

reps weaseley,, great idea :thumb:

"Trusted Cultivator" was a sought after title on a mushroom forum I'm part of. Titles are based on number of positive ratings a member has. That in itself can become a popularity contest or like a Yelp review, where people intentionally give a bad review out of spite. Even worse they allowed you to leave comments along with the rating, that got really ugly.

A 5 star rating wouldn't be a bad idea just need to figure out a way to keep people from fluffing their numbers or intentionally hurting someone else's.

Exactly. Everybody tries to give what they think is the right advice. Everybody's growing level of expertise at different levels than anybody else. I am almost positive that every member gives the best advice to their knowledge. It's up to the original poster to sift through the varying post regarding their question as to whether it pertains to their particular situation. With multiple posts displaying different information, one can easily surmise the gist of what is correct with multiple post stating the correct information. I don't think anybody is out to thwart anybody's attempts at growing great cannabis. And with a little bit of humbleness we can easily accept the fact that our information may have been incorrect.

like many of the other people are mentioning here with the reps rating or being influencers with followers.
Since that seems to refer to my comment- I just want to mention that the system we had was very classy and positive- not like what you’re describing at all. I just didn’t want to miss a chance to give a shout out to the old reputation system because I think we all liked it a lot.

Anyway... I wasn’t really mentioning it as some sort of cure for a problem at all. I don’t even think there is much of a problem, at least that I’ve seen. Maybe my ignorance is bliss (?). I just posted to give Nivek a couple possible solutions if that’s what he was seeing somewhere.

:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom