Seven Hazes

I had to remove my only Purple Haze x Malawi plant from the "all female" grow because he was male. Sad but true. Fortunately, he was very slow to develop those flowers. He hadn't yet started dropping pollen, so I got him out of there in time.

This was a big surprise, as I may have said earlier. The late-flowering tropical sativa PHxM male did not really show sex until mid-September. Had it been female, I was expecting to harvest in December, so if you are interested in this strain, be prepared to not know the sex of your plants until way later than other strains, some of which were sexed by mid-July or even earlier.

Greetings all

Emeraldo

Harvested pollen from four males: DTHF, Malawi, Michka, and Super Malawi Haze.
Have selectively applied, using a baguette bakery bag over the target branch, as follows:
DTHF female: pollinated with DTHF, Michka, and Malawi
Super Lemon Haze female: pollinated with Michka
Super Malawi Haze female: pollinated with Super Malawi Haze (just for SMH seeds)
NL#5 x Haze female: pollinated with Super Malawi Haze
Malawi female: will be pollinated with Malawi for seeds (will wait a few days for her flowers to get more developed)

After removal of a male Purple Haze x Malawi, the grow zone looks so different. Finally some space to move around in! Here's where the hazes are today, September 27.

Malawi:

From left edge of photo: Malawi, Super Lemon Haze (middle), Durban-Thai (far right).

Super Malawi Haze (three photos):

Got a couple more here from today: NL#5 x Haze #1 (photos taken from far side, through a window). Stigmas just starting to wilt... or are those darkened stigmas actually pollinated? I just can't control them pollen grains, they wen't supposed to land on that one!
:)

I crossed this NL#5xHz plant with Super Malawi Haze pollen just yesterday, not the bud in the closeup but on a branch about the same height on the other side, so if those half-darkened stigmas indicate there will be seeds then it'll most likely be NL#5xHaze X Super Malawi Haze. If so, guessing roughly 25% NL#5/Skunk/LemonSkunk etc, 25% Malawi, 25% O Haze, and 25% Nevil's, though idk what % indica/sativa that breaks down to.

Malawi is the only part of that mix I'm not at all familiar with. So, looking forward to this mix, and also to experience Malawi separately, the pure sativa landrace from Malawi. She seems to be flagging along behind the SMH in flowering, but then, she, the Malawi, has no poly-hybrid % of indica in her background to speed flowering up. Which brings me to think of why I wanted this cross of NL#5xHz X SMH, it was because I saw the NL5H was first to flower in this grow, so with SMH I was hoping to get a cross that would flower earlier and retain the mind-blowing psychedelic aspects as well. Hmmmm, interesting!
:hookah:

Much cooler, wetter weather is upon us. Fortunately, tropical hazes don't really mind the colder weather. And in the now mostly closed off Grow Zone (I've put up tarps and a few boards to close out the wind & wet), with the little heater running, it got up to 68 F / 20 C inside today, and that's on a grey, rainy day with almost no sunshine.

Update on flowering. The plants are well into flowering. I've waited so long for the late-flowerers to get going: Super Lemon Haze, Super Malawi Haze, Malawi. The early flowering strains were NL#5 x Haze and DTHF. Purple Haze x Malawi was, well, so late to show sex that he was late, period, in mid-September it became apparent that he was male and had to go as I had nowhere to keep him in this "all female" grow.

Here some photos from today:
Super Lemon Haze:

Durban-Thai HighFlyer x C99:

Super Malawi Haze:

Malawi:

Happy growing all!

Emeraldo

@danishoes21 thanks and welcome. Yes, these have been more challenging in some ways than other strains and less so in other ways. Later to reveal gender and later to flower, but actually quite resistant to pests. Early on I had concerns about feeding too much, too much N in particular, but now in flower many of them are asking for more. Learned lots I didn't know this year!

As flowering continues, the haze strains with a significant indica background (in particular NL#5xHaze and DTHF) are gaining and getting way ahead of the pure sativa and tropical sativas (like Malawi). Here's the latest:

Malawi:

Super Lemon Haze:

Super Malawi Haze:

NL#5 x Haze:
NL5xH again, from backside

Durban-Thai HighFlyer x C99 x Thai-Tanic

Lovely phenos :green_heart:

I got 2 Sativa dominants going just started to flower, I can tell now almost no indica geno traits on them… bad thing is sooo slow to flower for Canadian season, good thing is showing lots of resistance to pest and disease.

Im also learning from yours to see if I can catch a pheno trait that resemble something like mine to see if I can identify what kind or genetics I might be dealing with. I don’t know the genetics of mine but one looks like a haze…

As flowering continues, the haze strains with a significant indica background (in particular NL#5xHaze and DTHF) are gaining and getting way ahead of the pure sativa and tropical sativas (like Malawi). Here's the latest:

Malawi:

Super Lemon Haze:

Super Malawi Haze:

NL#5 x Haze:
NL5xH again, from backside

Durban-Thai HighFlyer x C99 x Thai-Tanic

All are gorgeous man great job 👊🤙✌

Returning to the other location, I found this morning that my "hazy pheno" of NL#5 x Haze is flowering still but looks to have a number of seeds in the making. As noted two weeks ago, when I returned last time I found that my "all female grow" was not in fact all female. The surprise male was a Super Malawi Haze that had gone into full flower in my absence. I had left both plants standing next to each other, but wind had blown the male SMH over, and I suspect he emitted great gobs of pollen all over Hazey. Fortunately, it had also rained around that time, so perhaps -- hopefully -- the pollination was minimized.

Anyway, here's what I found today: There are some buds without seeds, and there still are whitish stigmas so more time is needed. But I think there will be seeds! And it certainly looks like it. Seeds for a plant next year, "(NL#5 x Haze) x Super Malawi Haze" or maybe just "NL#5 Malawi Haze". Looking forward to this accidental but welcome cross, which I guess would be something like around 25% Nevil's Haze, 25% O Haze, 25% NL#5, and 25% Malawi.

Well, the bonus is - you have seeds!!! I'm still vaping the "chaff" from my Beaver Dam pollinated gal - does a good job!!!! :yahoo:
@greenjeans -- thanks for that, is the weed from your pollinated Beaver strong? I'll mostly likely have some weed off the pollinated NL#5 x and doesn't look bad so far.

Am also hoping for some Super Lemon Haze seeds off both feminized SLH plants (I got one pheno of each of the lemonyskunky pheno and the SSH pheno), both now well into flower. Dusted them both with Michka pollen two weeks ago, also said to be lemony and 80% sativa, and can see a few seeds swelling. These plants were my last two SLH seeds, so I need to do something about that! (something short of buying more from GHS).

s the weed from your pollinated Beaver strong?
I don't think so - but I don't think I have ever grown strong weed - or - I'm just using too much and have built up a tolerance. I have very few times got shit faced giggly but I'm usually alone and that is not conducive to that but every now and then I will spontaneously start dancing in my shop!!! That's what I aim for - till I hurt a hip!!! :rofl: :thedoubletake:

I don't think so - but I don't think I have ever grown strong weed - or - I'm just using too much and have built up a tolerance. I have very few times got shit faced giggly but I'm usually alone and that is not conducive to that but every now and then I will spontaneously start dancing in my shop!!! That's what I aim for - till I hurt a hip!!! :rofl: :thedoubletake:
haha, oyeah. I just wondered if pollination resulted in seedy weed with diminished the effect, in your esteemed opinion.

if pollination resulted in seedy weed with diminished the effect,
I really am a lousy judge - this plant was totally seeded and as I was kind of rubbing all the totally dried up buds around to loosen the seeds I got to thinkin' and wondered why the chaff wouldn't work - it has triches - so I saved it - it was fine for vaping.
PS - this plant was totally on it's own, growing on the beaver dam, no ferts, no protection, no extra water.

Moved three plants inside to ripen in a sunny window: That's Super Lemon Haze #2 (skunk pheno) on the left, Shiva Skunk on the right, and the taller plant in the middle-right behind them is NL#5 x Haze, or "Haze" as I call her for short. All three plants have seeds that could be mature by the end of October. The fourth plant on that balcony where the pollination accident occurred (not shown here) is Durban-Thai HighFlyer, and the DTHF does not seem to have been pollinated at all, and both DTHF and Super Lemon Haze were upwind from the pollinator and about 20 feet away.

Super Lemon Haze (lemon-skunk pheno):
One of the weirdest plants in the grow, her lemony aroma is picking up. She is one of two SLH I grew this year from my last two feminized SLH seeds from the GHS 5-pack. So I hope I am lucky enough to get some seeds fathered by the Michka male. I can see there are a few coming along on the branches I selectively dusted with Michka pollen. Seeds on other branches might also be from the Super Malawi Haze "surprise" male I wrote about earlier, though this SLH was upwind from the pollinator and didn't show signs of pollination until after I dusted her. Here's the latest.

Shiva Skunk:
Shiva was next to the NL#5 x Haze and also near the pollinating SMH male. But she does not have the extreme amount of seeds that Haze has. Shiva has a fair number of seeds, and the father will be the Super Malawi Haze male. I read somewhere that when the tip or top half of the stigma turns dark (unlike when the whole stigma curls and turns brown or reddish from age), this half-blackened stigma is a sign the flower is pollinated/fertilised.

So I am pleased to look forward to this harvest of Shiva Skunk (a new strain for me) and also to this cross: Shiva Skunk x Super Malawi Haze. Maybe next year the "Shiva Malawi Haze" (a mostly sativa) cross will show sex, start flowering, and finish a bit earlier than the SMH did this year.

NL#5 x Haze:
Seeds, seeds, seeds. On the upside, maybe next year the "NL#5 Malawi Haze" (25% NL#5, 25% Malawi, 50% Haze) will show sex and start flowering a bit earlier than the SMH did this year. Downside is, the SMH surprise male seems to have pollinated every bud. Fortunately, this is not the only NL#5 x Haze in the grow. After the seeds are collected, I guess I'll try making canna butter from the rest of this one.

Cheers all, enjoy your grows!

Moved three plants inside to ripen in a sunny window: That's Super Lemon Haze #2 (skunk pheno) on the left, Shiva Skunk on the right, and the taller plant in the middle-right behind them is NL#5 x Haze, or "Haze" as I call her for short. All three plants have seeds that could be mature by the end of October. The fourth plant on that balcony where the pollination accident occurred (not shown here) is Durban-Thai HighFlyer, and the DTHF does not seem to have been pollinated at all, and both DTHF and Super Lemon Haze were upwind from the pollinator and about 20 feet away.

Super Lemon Haze (lemon-skunk pheno):
One of the weirdest plants in the grow, her lemony aroma is picking up. She is one of two SLH I grew this year from my last two feminized SLH seeds from the GHS 5-pack. So I hope I am lucky enough to get some seeds fathered by the Michka male. I can see there are a few coming along on the branches I selectively dusted with Michka pollen. Seeds on other branches might also be from the Super Malawi Haze "surprise" male I wrote about earlier, though this SLH was upwind from the pollinator and didn't show signs of pollination until after I dusted her. Here's the latest.

Shiva Skunk:
Shiva was next to the NL#5 x Haze and also near the pollinating SMH male. But she does not have the extreme amount of seeds that Haze has. Shiva has a fair number of seeds, and the father will be the Super Malawi Haze male. I read somewhere that when the tip or top half of the stigma turns dark (unlike when the whole stigma curls and turns brown or reddish from age), this half-blackened stigma is a sign the flower is pollinated/fertilised.

So I am pleased to look forward to this harvest of Shiva Skunk (a new strain for me) and also to this cross: Shiva Skunk x Super Malawi Haze. Maybe next year the "Shiva Malawi Haze" (a mostly sativa) cross will show sex, start flowering, and finish a bit earlier than the SMH did this year.

NL#5 x Haze:
Seeds, seeds, seeds. On the upside, maybe next year the "NL#5 Malawi Haze" (25% NL#5, 25% Malawi, 50% Haze) will show sex and start flowering a bit earlier than the SMH did this year. Downside is, the SMH surprise male seems to have pollinated every bud. Fortunately, this is not the only NL#5 x Haze in the grow. After the seeds are collected, I guess I'll try making canna butter from the rest of this one.

Cheers all, enjoy your grows!

Nice update, great looking phenos all have a little something that sets them apart.

:green_heart:

Harvested most of the Super Lemon Haze ("indica pheno" or "Lemon Skunk pheno") today.

Interesting how that happened. I wasn't going to harvest that plant for another 14 days because the breeder's indication for an outdoor grow was that she'd be ready at "the end of October", plus the fact that the seeds on select branches still need two weeks to ripen. I'll often let a plant flower a bit longer than the breeder's indication for harvesting, but I've never had a plant that was two or three weeks earlier than the breeder's estimated harvest date.

Just to put this in context, here's how SLH#2 looked on September 23, just two days after I pollinated selected branches.

That was three weeks ago. So, ideally, I thought, the seeds need until end of October, and that fit nicely for harvest at "end of October." Problem was, the bud was already looking ready to harvest in the first week of October when I noticed that all pisitils/stigmas had shrunk to the tiniest little brown hairs, and I could not find a single white stigma on her. It seemed at that point she would be ready earlier than end of October. Here some close ups of her taken yesterday.

So, long story short, I wasn't sure what I should do. I wanted to understand how she could be ripe already, two weeks "early". If I waited two more weeks she might be overripe. On the other hand, I pollinated her on September 21 and so the seeds will probably need another two weeks to be sure they'll be viable.

Then it occurred to me (and this is nowhere written in the GHS material or any reviews by seed banks) that this particular individual plant might be a fairly uncommon pheno of SLH (hence the absence of info). Yes, the Super Silver Haze x Lemon Skunk genetics of GHS' SLH seeds generally will ripen more slowly, with end of October being the usual finishing time. But my SLH#2 is very clearly leaning towards the Lemon Skunk mother. So I checked out GHS Lemon Skunk's finishing time and it is said to be ready to harvest outdoors "beginning of October." Then suddenly, with that information, this plant made sense to me. I guess I am learning to pay attention to what the plant is telling me.

As mentioned, there are two SLH phenos in this grow, I got one Super Silver Haze pheno and one Lemon Skunk pheno. As it turns out, the Lemon Skunk pheno is ready to harvest today, two weeks before the "haze pheno" of the same strain. I left a few seeded buds on the plant so that they can continue to ripen until the end of the month, that making 5 weeks since pollination. The haze pheno may go into November judging from the photos posted here a week ago. For now, am happy to be harvesting.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Emeraldo

Back
Top Bottom