Smokie's CFL Perpetual Auto Grow - 2016

That's a bit much perlite next time try to keep it at most 30% just for the simple reason you're gonna run into drooping later on. To much and it runs off quicker and dries out real quick. Almost to quick. A good soil shouldn't need more added except for maybe on the bottom of the final pot for a bit of bottom aeration.

That's a bit much perlite next time try to keep it at most 30% just for the simple reason you're gonna run into drooping later on. To much and it runs off quicker and dries out real quick. Almost to quick. A good soil shouldn't need more added except for maybe on the bottom of the final pot for a bit of bottom aeration.

Interesting. Most of what I read said peat moss was heavy and should have 30-50% perlite added. Since pro-mix is mostly peat moss, and was REALLY dense in the bag, I did in the middle with 40%.

I will keep an eye out for the pots drying quickly and droopy plants. Thank you!

nice set up,subed in

Thanks! Welcome aboard!

January 23rd update:

Around 4pm I noticed both girls starting to poke above soil!

RC - Britta (finally named!)
rc2.JPG

AW - Schucks

DSCF12494.JPG

I installed a fan above the lights pointing down to try and help cool them and the plants a bit. It helps the lights, but unfortunately it raises the total temperature when pushed up against the wall in "stealth mode" to about 40C. Since that's way too high, from when I wake up to lights out, the back stays open slightly with the room fan blowing on it. It's still high, but 28C is much better than 40C. I think the heat is also higher because of the light proofing, which also needs improvement. But at this point, it's all trial and error.
DSCF12466.JPG

Today is my oldest's birthday, so nothing is going to be adjusted today. Tomorrow will be work on the dresser day. So fingers crossed everything stays balanced until after cake tonight!

One question though, what is day 1 count as? The bit of green I have poking up last night, or first leaves today/tomorrow? Thanks y'all!

January 24th update:

Day 2: Temps are roughly 28-31C, and humidity is 60%. The girls got a cup of water each today.

Britta - Royal Creamatic

DSCF12594.JPG

Britta is continuing to surprise me. This morning I really thought she looked deformed. Her cotyledons were stuck together and brownish at the tips. I'm thinking now that maybe this was some sort of casing from the seed? She is looking good now!

Schucks - Auto Widow

DSCF12583.JPG

Schucks is still stuck together at her cotyledons, but both of her finger leaves are out the sides, so I'm not overly concerned. Based on Britta, I think she'll be just fine if I stop worrying every 5 minutes.

Not much of an update today, but my goal is to update daily (or at the very least every second day)!

they out of soil up n runnin! nice congrats! im doin a cfl grow too. i love seein all the different set ups ppl come up with. :thumb:

Thanks! Do you have a journal up?

Was your soil nice and damp when you put the seeds in? If so I would hold back on the watering for a few days. Let your tap root reach down deep and search for water. Letting your pots get super dry between waterings will really help you grow a nice root ball.

Damp yes, wet no. My temps are higher than what they should be, so the girls are drying out fairly fast. They're getting water about every 2 days right now.

Sorry about that reply. I must have been on something.:blalol:

It's very true though! Well, as long as I get to the end :laughtwo:

Update (sort of): No real update for yesterday (January 25th) as I was really sick and the girlfriend babied them all day. I think she said humidity was 50% and temps around 31C. I will update tonight before bed though!

sure do! just set it up yesterday. was gonna wait til next month after the flip but i got antsy. wanted to document my cfl grow. itll be my third one. had the other ones pretty well photo documented on my phone but some cow ass waitress felt she needed my phone more than i did. :rofl: i just gotta figure out how to link it in my sig..

I'm ready for a update!!! lol let's see them girls

You've got some good timing! I was just popping in to post yesterday's update. Let's get to it!

January 26th update:

Day 4: Humidity is not wanting to stay above 30%, and temps are still running at 31C. I am cursing the mail system for taking so long with my fans right now. I really need to adjust the fan that is in there and drill holes on the back for it, but since that wasn't an option, I had the door wide open with the room fan oscillating.

Both girls got approximately 1.5 cups of water.

Britta - Royal Creamatic

DSCF12744.JPG

Britta has really small leaves still. I'm thinking she's taking the heat harder. It really needs to get fixed pronto, but unfortunately, I have been sick which means lots of doctors appointments.

Schucks - Auto Widow

DSCF12724.JPG

Look who finally broke free! Schucks seems to be doing much better with the higher heat and is moving a head like a champ. Since Schucks is basically the girlfriend's (WW is her favourite), she keeps rubbing it in and it's become a bit of a competition between the two.

I still need to remove the reflector as I am absolutely positive that is increasing the heat, and that is the goal for today before they go to sleep. So that should be included in today's update tonight!

Back
Top Bottom