Smokie's CFL Perpetual Auto Grow - 2016

Looking good bro:thumb: I just germinated two bubba's gift and a og kush the two bubba's pop there heads up out of the soil today :) still waiting on the og

Thanks! Bubba is on my "eventually grow" list. So many strains, so little time!

January 27th update

Day 6: Today was the day of happenings. The reflector got removed and the lights more securely attached, the fan got moved, holes got drilled in the back for exhaust, weather stripping got added around the edges to help improve the fight against light leaks, and the whole thing is still too damn hot! Sigh.

The back remains open while I am awake (14 hours), and the fan in the room stays on. Their night is during our night right now. Since that is when the door is closed, it's helping keep the temperature lower.

This is what the inside looks like now:

DSCF13044.JPG

And now onto the lovely ladies!

Britta - Royal Creamatic

DSCF13022.JPG

Britta's leaves are still just itty bitty. I'm thinking she can't handle the heat. I tried to tell her to get outta the kitchen, but I was the only one who laughed. The lowest with the lights on that I got the temperature was 28C, a definite improvement, if it would stay there. She seemed to perk up at the lower temperature and a drink.

Schucks - Auto Widow

DSCF13014.JPG

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. Any reason her leaves are pointing nearly straight up? She's got 2 23W 6500k, and 2 23W 5000k on her (Britta has the same lights on her side). Here's a better look:

DSCF12983.JPG

I am also expecting another little girl, due to pop her taproot anytime now. Purple Amnesia, who will be known as Angel, is going to be a solo cup grow right between Britta & Schucks (who is likely getting renamed).

On the bottle of B vitamins for the girls, it suggests adding it to seeds to help them root. So since I didn't do that with the already growing girls, I figured what the hay and tried it with Angel. I'm curious to see if it makes a difference or not.

And that's about it for day 6!

If anyone has any suggestions on either growing in higher temperatures (reading about CO2 right now) or keeping the darn dresser cool, please let me know!

them little ones with the leafs pointing up is a good thing! they are "pryin to the light" signs they are ready to do some growin! and in my experience with cfls i dont really think you need them so close this early on bud. 10 inches above or so is ok. keeps plant tops temp down quite a bit and they really dont have that much foliage on them yet to need such intense light. i think you can get away with running just 4 cfls on them for the first 10 days or so. then when you get the third set of leaves showin up the ole lumen dosage. :thumb: :peacetwo:

I would have the door open and a fan pointing into the cabinet. I had that setup for my first grow, with an oscillator fan inside aswell. But you need to refresh the air in there every 3or 4 minutes. Hope you get your fans soon cheers my dear.

I would have the door open and a fan pointing into the cabinet. I had that setup for my first grow, with an oscillator fan inside aswell. But you need to refresh the air in there every 3or 4 minutes. Hope you get your fans soon cheers my dear.

That's exactly how I've got it during the day. Right now the temp is even staying where it's supposed to! :thumb:

The girls are just getting ready for bed now, so it's the perfect time for an update!

January 28th update

Day 6: Girls got about a cup of water today. I had the cab open all day and temperatures finally were roughly 27-28C. Heck yeah baby! Humidity was 45% most of the day, dropped a bit before pictures but oh well.

DSCF13093.JPG

I really can't think of anything else important, I just watch them a lot today. The light is good for my mood. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :laughtwo:

Britta - Royal Creamatic

DSCF13072.JPG

Britta is still much smaller, which is really not sitting right with me. She is for sure growing, I'm just confused at how she's so much smaller than her sister and yet she is supposed to be finished two weeks sooner. Do different strains produce different size leaves? Am I missing something obvious here?

Schucks - Auto Widow

DSCF13063.JPG

She is the BIG sister of the two. There isn't much to update about her, other than she's growing like a weed! Ha!

Angel - Purple Amnesia

We have a taproot! It's much too small to plant though, so she'll be likely moving into her solo cup home tomorrow around mid-day.

This picture shows the size difference between the girls pretty well. The solo cup between the two pots is going to be Angel's home. I need to figure out if there's a solo cup challenge going on... Tack it onto tomorrow's list.

DSCF13123.JPG

Ohhhh, the carton in the back! I have been researching CO2 and higher temperature grows since I couldn't seem to get the temp low enough. I'd still like it another few degrees lower, but I'm much happier. Either way, I figured what the hay and mixed together some sugar, yeast and water. If it helps, great. If not, I doubt I'll know the difference anyways!

Now to get the temperature to stay this low, and we'll be golden!

Have a great night everyone. I'm off to med, and then to bed. :bong:

Im diggin the diy Co2 generator. I saw a while ago on here, im not exactly sure who it was but anyhow. They made a co2 gen out of some aquarium tubing in a pair of gatorade bottles. the sugar water yeast in one. 1 hole in the lid of that bottle with the tube drilled in just a little bit. not very far tho. and that in turn ran to another bottle, thru the lid and to the bottom of that one. that bottle was filled half way or so with water. a second hose came from the top of that bottle, but above the water level and ran over to the plants and i believe he had an air stone on the end of that hose. it was like a co2 bubbler! pretty cool shit! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Oh and no worries on the size difference in the lil ones. Some strains just seem to take off at different rates. She could just be doin some "underground mining" establishin them roots. She will catch up soon and most likely surpass her sis. :thumb:

January 29th update

Day 7: The lights were raised about 1/2" to try and allow the ladies a breeze and more air movement. Both of the ladies got 1.5 cups of water, and Angel got 1/2 a cup of water when she was planted. Rather boring update, so onto pictures!

Britta - Royal Creamatic (RQS)

DSCF13154.JPG

Schucks - Auto Widow (CBD Seeds)

DSCF13144.JPG

Angel - Auto Purple Amnesia (Shortstuff Seeds)

Around 8am, I checked her to find a nice solid taproot.

DSCF13132.JPG

So into her solo cup she went, directly between her big sisters.

DSCF13163.JPG

She still wasn't up before bed last night, so hopefully she'll be up today or early tomorrow!

January 30th update

Days 8 & 1: Nothing major happened today, except that Angel already tossed her shell somewhere and has her cotyledons pointed down into the soil. Temps were 27C roughly and 30% humidity. I put a towel over the top of the dresser hanging over the door while it was open and wet 1/3 of it. It helped for an hour or 2, and the humidity went straight back to 30%.

Britta - Royal Creamatic (Royal Queen Seeds)

DSCF13213.JPG

Growth is slow with this one. I've taken a peak at a few other journals, and she is behind. I need to find a way to improve temps & humidity this week.

Schucks - Auto Widow (CBD Crew Seeds)

DSCF13183.JPG

Schucks seems to be pretty resilient to her less than optimal climate, and is still growing like a champ.

DSCF13194.JPG

DSCF13203.JPG

She's aliiiiiive! I'm excited to grow Angel because she's just going to be an all over challenge. She seems to be doing well so far.

And that sums up day 8 & day 1!

Not quite an update but a story I'd like to share since I haven't had the chance yet.

My mother and I are quite close. We talk a few times per week. In fact, she was the reason I didn't smoke until my mid-twenties. Growing up, she always told me her hilarious (to her) stories. They terrified me, and I was firmly in the "I do not and will not smoke" category.

Fast forward to about a year ago, and I had had enough of these damn migraines. I had huge personal crap going on, and I was in constant pain. I gave in and started smoking. My pain went away. Other health problems have arisen since then, but the pain is the main hell.

So my mom and I are talking (last week) and we're discussing CBD and pain management. She has fibro, and we have A LOT of the same pain. So I'm telling her about Critical Mass and she's telling me about Girl Scout Cookies. We go pick her out a bong, and I say come over and I'll show you how to properly fill and use it. So she comes over and we're smoking in the garage, and we're discussing growing. I show her my dresser, and she tells me about how she grew once in my bedroom window when I was a year or two old (apparently it had the best light :rofl:).

And now, I'll be growing for the both of us. My journey from here on out not only includes healing myself and my other half, but now my mother as well. I'm a-okay with that. At least this way, I know she will be in better health, and I won't have to worry that there isn't anything I can do.

Have a great night everyone!

Thanks for sharing smokiebear, it's really a great thing. People are so sceptical at first thought of marijuana use. But if you vaporize or make edibles with Hugh cbd it's a miracle for joint pain and arthritis. My back pain is eased with the street crap out there, that's my main reason for starting to grow. I've also mentioned my sibling and it's the same for her symptoms of rrMS, this plant was made to help humans. Much better than the prescription opiates that you get from the clinics. Anyway I love that you shared a little with us. Best of wishes to both you and your mom. Cheers my dear

Thanks for sharing smokiebear, it's really a great thing. People are so sceptical at first thought of marijuana use. But if you vaporize or make edibles with Hugh cbd it's a miracle for joint pain and arthritis. My back pain is eased with the street crap out there, that's my main reason for starting to grow. I've also mentioned my sibling and it's the same for her symptoms of rrMS, this plant was made to help humans. Much better than the prescription opiates that you get from the clinics. Anyway I love that you shared a little with us. Best of wishes to both you and your mom. Cheers my dear

Exactly! Growing up, my mom couldn't work and was always on medication. I'm trying to avoid that path as much as possible, and she would like to reverse it.

I'm so grateful I've ended up here. It feels like home. Everyone seems to be very much like a family. So much so that I actually dreamt about it last night. The forum somehow ended up with an island that was around 40km square, it wasn't big. But we all banded together and turned the whole damn thing into a giant multi greenhouse grow, complete with helicopter landing pad and ATVs to drive around indoors with. It was pretty amazing... and then I woke up.

January 31st update

Days 9 & 2: Temperatures were fantastic all day, and humidity was 35-40%. Felt just like a perfect summer day in there yesterday. Now if we could only keep that up...

DSCF13232.JPG

A family shot to start off with:

DSCF13365.JPG

And their beauty shots:

Britta - Royal Creamatic (Royal Queen Seeds)

DSCF13343.JPG

Look at that! She is actually growing after all! It's nice to see some new growth in her just today. I was sure she was hating the heat, and it looks like I was right. She would like mid-summer in Canada heat, not end of summer in Florida heat. Noted.

Schucks - Auto Widow (CBD Crew Seeds)

DSCF13262.JPG

Schucks has become known as Big B around these parts. She is bigger, she is badder, she is bangin'. But they always say, no two kids ever grow alike. So like a good mom, I'm just going to grab my coffee and move along...

DSCF13282.JPG

Let me preface this by saying I am the little boy who cried wolf, except that I am more the lady that cried "fudge, I killed it". I have not once, in my life, ever been able to keep a plant alive. Kids, cats, dogs, fish, rodents, etc... No problems there. But the second you hand me something potted and green? It's dead.

So Angel, I'm sorry if your namesake killed you early, but you look sad and kind of pathetic. Even more so than Britta looked in the beginning. My fingers, and toes, are crossed you'll perk up, but it's been 12 hours since that picture was taken (I take pictures at night and update the next morning), and you still doesn't look any better.

And in other thoughts... I need to change my feeding schedule slightly as I didn't really look at my bottles when modifying A-Train's schedule. The B1 needs to be a lower dosage than what I wrote, and I'll also need to check OptiCAL to see if it's different as well. Thankfully I'm brighter than I look and I thought about this BEFORE I added nutes to the girls.

January 31st update

Days 9 & 2: Temperatures were fantastic all day, and humidity was 35-40%. Felt just like a perfect summer day in there yesterday. Now if we could only keep that up...

DSCF13282.JPG

Let me preface this by saying I am the little boy who cried wolf, except that I am more the lady that cried "fudge, I killed it". I have not once, in my life, ever been able to keep a plant alive. Kids, cats, dogs, fish, rodents, etc... No problems there. But the second you hand me something potted and green? It's dead.

So Angel, I'm sorry if your namesake killed you early, but you look sad and kind of pathetic. Even more so than Britta looked in the beginning. My fingers, and toes, are crossed you'll perk up, but it's been 12 hours since that picture was taken (I take pictures at night and update the next morning), and you still doesn't look any better.

And in other thoughts... I need to change my feeding schedule slightly as I didn't really look at my bottles when modifying A-Train's schedule. The B1 needs to be a lower dosage than what I wrote, and I'll also need to check OptiCAL to see if it's different as well. Thankfully I'm brighter than I look and I thought about this BEFORE I added nutes to the girls.

I am hugging you in my mind right now, Smokey :) So much love to you and your mum! Hitting the bong and talking about growing with your mum: that must have been a bit surreal, actually, but in a wonderful way :) Bless you for helping her and helping yourself with this amazing medicine!

I had a long talk with my own mum a month or so ago, about cannabis and using it and growing it. She was fascinated and very, very open minded. I bring my vape along with me to dinner now and when she and my husband are drinking their red wine, I vape a small bowl :) She's 90 and I also wanted her to know that if she develops any serious pain in the future that regardless of the legal climate, I will be able to provide her with relief, if she wants to try this.

Just a few words about your babies:

They're fine :) They all look great, even Nessie -- she's just tiny and just as human babies can look a little weird and squashed and discoloured when they're born, plant babies do too, right after birth! They've been jammed inside a little seed, after all, so of course their cotyledons look a little mashed :) I do understand what you mean about killing everything you touch -- I can garden outside but indoors I kill all plants pretty quickly :)

I was a little taken aback by my latest sprouts -- the last two lots I've planted after germination in coco coir and these I've planted in organic soil. I was worried that they were so much smaller than the sprouts I've had in coco, but I've had a few people pop in and reassure me that often plants can be a little slower in soil than in coco. I've certainly seen that two different sprouts can have vastly different levels of energy or thirst for living or whatever :) Some just are raring to go and others are slower ...

Anyway, just wanted to tell you how much I'm enjoying your journal and your journey and how much I want to send you hugs :)

I am hugging you in my mind right now, Smokey :) So much love to you and your mum! Hitting the bong and talking about growing with your mum: that must have been a bit surreal, actually, but in a wonderful way :) Bless you for helping her and helping yourself with this amazing medicine!

I had a long talk with my own mum a month or so ago, about cannabis and using it and growing it. She was fascinated and very, very open minded. I bring my vape along with me to dinner now and when she and my husband are drinking their red wine, I vape a small bowl :) She's 90 and I also wanted her to know that if she develops any serious pain in the future that regardless of the legal climate, I will be able to provide her with relief, if she wants to try this.

Just a few words about your babies:

They're fine :) They all look great, even Nessie -- she's just tiny and just as human babies can look a little weird and squashed and discoloured when they're born, plant babies do too, right after birth! They've been jammed inside a little seed, after all, so of course their cotyledons look a little mashed :) I do understand what you mean about killing everything you touch -- I can garden outside but indoors I kill all plants pretty quickly :)

I was a little taken aback by my latest sprouts -- the last two lots I've planted after germination in coco coir and these I've planted in organic soil. I was worried that they were so much smaller than the sprouts I've had in coco, but I've had a few people pop in and reassure me that often plants can be a little slower in soil than in coco. I've certainly seen that two different sprouts can have vastly different levels of energy or thirst for living or whatever :) Some just are raring to go and others are slower ...

Anyway, just wanted to tell you how much I'm enjoying your journal and your journey and how much I want to send you hugs :)

Posts like this make me wish Canada was as small as some of the world believes so I could just have you over for dinner! :hug:

It was very surreal sitting in my basement smoking with my mother. She has a couple bag seeds at her house that she wants to grow, just to see if she can. She ordered a tent, 6" inline fan & filter, and MH/HPS lights & ballast... and all she has is two seeds with taproots. Usually she is the one doing all the research, and needs to be very informed. This time, it's me, and she's the impulsive one. It's been a hoot! She's going away in the summer for 2 months, and I'm already telling her "get a LED so I can borrow your tent while you're gone!"

I hadn't thought of seeds as babies until this point. I'll just think of Nessie as my oldest son. He was named before he was born by his Nana (father's mom who developed dementia at 47 when oldest was 2), and a name I didn't like at that, Cameron/Cam. But she lived far away, and I could tell it meant a lot to his dad that he be named that, so I found a nickname I could live with and dropped it. Low and behold though, master Cameron was born with a crooked nose exactly as his name meant...

So Nessie may never be seen again when I'm done with her grow, but like her namesake, everyone will have heard of her!

Thank you so much Glimmer! I'm honoured you stopped by! :circle-of-love:

Quick mid day random update

The fans are HERE!

DSCF13375.JPG

Only 2 more hours until tools get home and I can work on the dresser! :woohoo:

I'm not sure I should be this excited....

Not quite an update but a story I'd like to share since I haven't had the chance yet.

My mother and I are quite close. We talk a few times per week. In fact, she was the reason I didn't smoke until my mid-twenties. Growing up, she always told me her hilarious (to her) stories. They terrified me, and I was firmly in the "I do not and will not smoke" category.

Fast forward to about a year ago, and I had had enough of these damn migraines. I had huge personal crap going on, and I was in constant pain. I gave in and started smoking. My pain went away. Other health problems have arisen since then, but the pain is the main hell.

So my mom and I are talking (last week) and we're discussing CBD and pain management. She has fibro, and we have A LOT of the same pain. So I'm telling her about Critical Mass and she's telling me about Girl Scout Cookies. We go pick her out a bong, and I say come over and I'll show you how to properly fill and use it. So she comes over and we're smoking in the garage, and we're discussing growing. I show her my dresser, and she tells me about how she grew once in my bedroom window when I was a year or two old (apparently it had the best light :rofl:).

And now, I'll be growing for the both of us. My journey from here on out not only includes healing myself and my other half, but now my mother as well. I'm a-okay with that. At least this way, I know she will be in better health, and I won't have to worry that there isn't anything I can do.

Have a great night everyone!

That's Awesome!! I am hoping to give my Mom her first look into cannabis this spring. I'll say she is and has always been against it( I believe too much reefer madness). However she now has several ailments that cannabis would help her with. So here's to hoping it goes that well with my Mom :bravo::thumb:

That's Awesome!! I am hoping to give my Mom her first look into cannabis this spring. I'll say she is and has always been against it( I believe too much reefer madness). However she now has several ailments that cannabis would help her with. So here's to hoping it goes that well with my Mom :bravo::thumb:

It's the opposite around here. I was the one who was set against it. I remember when my grandmother passed, my mom smoked with my husband. My mom didn't try to persuade me towards it, but rather she supports and understands it now that I've come to her.

Have you checked out the concentrated cannabis oil threads yet? CCO is an amazing concentrate and medication. The CCO threads have much more in depth information, but in short when tacking is done properly, there is no euphoria feeling, only the feeling of wellness and improved health. You should really check them out! There are a couple links in my signature I urge you to check out.

CCO and pain management is actually what got me on my mom's level.

I wish you and your mom the best of luck. :circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom