Hi Guys -

Here's my final report and strain review on the Sour Apple Autoflower from Humboldt Seed Company. First, the skinny:

Strain: Sour Apple Autoflower, original Humboldt strain, a cross of Humboldt Sour Diesel and Magic Melon Auto
Type: Hybrid, 65% Sativa/35% Indica other than whatever percentage of Ruderalis is in the genes, I couldn't find that specific percentage
Grown By: Me, Indoors/Outdoors, LED when indoors, in Fox Farms soil blend in 5-gallon AirPot with Fox Farms nutes and blackstrap molasses and zero training by design
THC %: I'm guessing, but I would estimate approximately 22%, the breeder says it's a 20-24% strain
Trichome Development: Obviously a function of my growing methodology, but I would say it has medium-level trichome development
Curing Time: At time of final report, dried for 8 days and cured for 14 days, curing in Infinity jars
Bud Density: Not rock hard buds, but far from flarfy, I would call them dense in that ball-ish, fluffy way if that makes sense...way harder than a cotton ball - more like the density of a Magic Eraser
TIme From Seed Sprout to Harvest: 78 days
Final Yield: A disappointing 1 ounce plus 1 eighth of buds exactly like in the photograph, every bud looked like this when I stripped the stem...this was the impetus for me deciding that never again will I leave an auto to i it's own devices without training
Taste: Definitely the highlight of this bud....the taste is very complex....I get all the tastes you would expect from Sour Diesel, a strain most of us are very familiar with, and from the Magic Melon I get a sweetness and a complex fruit flavor....the fruit flavor to my palate is primarily reminiscent of cantaloupe or mango...I believe this is the flavor they intended to be perceived as apple, and if I close my eyes and use my imagination just a little bit I can believe I taste apple, if that makes sense....in other words, it's not far off b but I wouldn't say it is super or even moderately specifically apple-ish...but all that said the predominant thing you taste when you first inhale it is strong sour fruit...It's a delicious strain that I'm psyched to be growing again just because the taste is very different than anything else I have or have grown. It's t the kind of taste that makes you want to keep smoking the bud after you are already high, if that helps.
Smoke: The smoke is fairly smooth, not incredibly smooth...I'd say medium level smoothness....I expect that to keep getting better as it cures
Length of Buzz: For me with high tolerance the buzz curve peaks early then drops off gradually over about an hour or maybe a bit more
Medicinal Use: No data but it made me forget about my constant back pain within minutes of smoking it

That's about it on the bare bones, and I don't know what else to add except that growing this plant is a breeze and impossible to screw up. She takes whatever nutes you throw at her and she grows fairly vigorously. She dealt with different and changing lighting and light hours. She dealt with a few days outdoors when it was almost 98 and her leaves curled a bit but that was it. Very resilient plant. Worthy of note is that when I trimmed her, in only one bud, the most flarfy one on the plant and right at the center at the base, I found 9 seeds. Only seeds in the entire plant. I dumped two in my pile of spent soil and both have popped. Lol. I would say her side branching is minimal and unless you want one big central cola and that's about it, I would suggest as much training as you feel comfortable with. I would and am growing it again right now, but I am training the hell out of it to increase that yield.

That's about it guys. Hope you enjoyed the review.

Here's a few pictures:

- The information claimed by HSC on the actual seed package itself
- The Sour Apple Autoflower actual plant itself right before harvest
- A natural sunlight shot of a typical finish trimmed and curing bud, they all looked just like this

The skinny off the seed package.jpg

Sue Anne nice true colors shot July 26.jpg

Sour Apple final trimmed bud in natural sunlight.jpg

Nice review, Jon. I've been thinking about getting Sour Apple and Super Silver Haze because together, they make Silver Apple, which is a strain I got from our local dispensary that I really liked.

ADDENDUM REVIEW
Sour Apple Autoflower Grow in Used Soil with No Nutrients and Water Only
From Recent Grow (current journal)

I don't want to clog the review line up with multiple, stand-alone reviews on the same strain. Those who see this can reference the plant in my current indoor journal if interested, but this is the review of my entry in the PH OTM Contest (picture below).

I was especially curious due to how she was grown and the fact that she was a self-generated bagseed to begin with what she would taste like.

Compared to the usual Sour Apple strain taste (I've grown it a number of times now), I would say this plant came out sweeter than the others in the past, and a bit earthier. It was denser than the others as well, maybe in part due to spending days in the sun (she did the 10 sun/10 LED thing once she started budding). I believe that's what accounted for her large buds as well.

As stated in the journal the yield of perfect, bag worthy buds was 2.25 ounces.

Other than that this has the similar qualities I've come to expect from this strain, and which are reviewed in detail in the post this is attached to. So there you go. And here's the girl a couple days before I chopped her.

PRIZE WINNER (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom