Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

Thanks Porky, that's how I'm feeling, it's a long wait when you grow outdoors and now they're all starting to kick off!
Yeah mate judging by how sativa they look you'll still be flowering in mid to late may.
How much rain you kiwis getting at the moment. I'm just south of Sydney and it's been pissing down for what seems like months. Had a few mates basically just give up on their outdoors stuff. Just to wet and bud rot is rife.
Hope you're not or don't have to deal with it.

Yeah mate judging by how sativa they look you'll still be flowering in mid to late may.
How much rain you kiwis getting at the moment. I'm just south of Sydney and it's been pissing down for what seems like months. Had a few mates basically just give up on their outdoors stuff. Just to wet and bud rot is rife.
Hope you're not or don't have to deal with it.
Cheers Porky. Yep, I've seen some of that rain dump that you guys have been getting, it looks enough to float the ark. I haven't grown full Sativas before, so I am just hoping that they'll manage to finish regardless of the Autumn weather coming. Bud rot is a real shitter, usually I get a few bits occurring from caterpillars, but endless rain would not be a good thing. Cheers.

Update - 4th and final top dressing - and some pictures

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! With my grow last year, I carried out a single top dressing, this year I chose to start giving earlier and to 'trickle feed' them a similar amount, but over several smaller top dressings. I thought 3 top dressing would be about it, and the 3rd was about 2 weeks ago. Since then, there has been some lower lightening leaves which I tend to remove because I don't want them blowing off into the neighbour's property (because I am trying to run a stealth grow here and no need to confuse them), otherwise I'd be happy to let the plants release their old leaves when they choose. So today, I decided to give a very small 4th top dressing and hopefully that'll be good until harvest.

Several grows ago, I was too conservative in the amount of the amendments I gave the plants. Each grow since, I have been trying a little bit more to tentatively establish where the 'Goldilocks zone' is, I think I am close to it with this grow, but today's topdressing is only small, only 1 tablespoon (1/16 of a cup) of Blood n Bone for the plant with the least lightening, and 3 tablespoons for the Mulanje which had the most. I included 2 tablespoons of Neem powder mostly as a pest deterrent but it does release some Nitrogen too.

These dry amendments were sprinkled over the existing mulch layer. On top of that I added 2 - 3 cups of fresh worm castings which included quite a lot of worms that I couldn't be bothered first removing. This was added as 'clumps' on top as it was too messy to lift the mulch layer and bird deterrent netting and training wires to mix in! So every time I water, more of it should wash in the main soil and become available to the plants.

Summary of top dressings given - for my own future reference and anyone who is interested

1st topdressing - 20th January 2022
  • 2 tablespoons Blood n Bone
  • 2 tablespoons Neem powder
2nd topdressing 2 weeks later - 3rd February 2022*
  • 2 Tablespoons Blood n Bone (1/8 cup)
  • 2 Tablespoons Fish Meal(1/8 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons Guano Phosphate(1/8 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons Seafood Lush Fert Mix(1/8 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons Kelp meal(1/8 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons Neem Powder(1/8 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons Diatomaceous Earth/Silica(1/8 cup)
  • 1/2 cup rough ground diastatic malted barley
*The above quantities are for the smaller 30L (13 gallon) containers. I added a bit extra for the larger 50L (13 gallon) containers.

3rd topdressing 2 weeks later - 19th February 2022

3 tablespoons Blood n Bone for 50L pots, 2 tbsp for 30L pots
1 tablespoon Fish Meal for 50L pots, 1/2 tbsp for 30L pots
1 tablespoon Guano Phosphate for 50L pots, 1/2 tbsp for 30L pots
3 tablespoons Neem Powder for 50L pots, 2 tbsp for 30L pots
1/3 cup washed dried shrimp (washed to remove salt)
1/3 cup rough ground diastatic malted barley

4th and final topdressing 2 weeks later - 3rd March 2022

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje - 2 tablespoons Neem Meal, 1 tablespoon Blood n Bone
Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras - 2 tablespoons Neem Meal, 2 tablespoons Blood n Bone
Mango Sherbert - 2 tablespoons Neem Meal, 2 tablespoons Blood n Bone
Mulanje - 2 tablespoons Neem Meal, 3 tablespoons Blood n Bone

Each pot then had 2 - 3 cups of fresh worm castings (including some worms) added on top.

Some pictures from the day

Thanks for dropping by, wishing you and your gardens all the best! :ganjamon: :surf:

Nice mate. I've found sativas yellow of heaps more and heaps earlier than indicas.
The Ethiopian one will test ya patience mate!!
Cheers Porky, they're all kinda of testing my patience! The Ethiopian cross is the left most on the balcony and consequently gets the least sun which probably explains why it is the slowest to develop, but hopefully she can get there in her own time regardless of the weather changing.

Hope your Autumn long range is as sweet as ours was announced Stunger, lower rainfall, normal temps and higher overnights than average.

They deserve an easy run to finish.
Thanks DV8, I'm expecting wind, rain, and sunshine in random repeating order. Hopefully they manage until harvest.

Hey @gazmufc, how you doing, I'm Jon. Following along and saw this from you. For what it's worth, I have both of these products in forms you can likely access in the states - Kelp Me Kelp You from Fox Farms is a liquid kelp extract, and Weed Easy from Blue Planet is a dry, dusty seaweed supplement. In case you're looking for such things for yourself.
Goon man Jon, yeah sure il take a look if u wanna inbox me the link? It will be some time before I can spend more on my grow tho. I've stuffed 1300 now, got my AC infinity s4 with the 69 controller arriving next week, that's the last I can spend for now. The women is beginning to nag a little
We all know happy wide, happy life (am not married tho lol)
Thanks in advance..

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! With my grow last year, I carried out a single top dressing, this year I chose to start giving earlier and to 'trickle feed' them a similar amount, but over several smaller top dressings. I thought 3 top dressing would be about it, and the 3rd was about 2 weeks ago. Since then, there has been some lower lightening leaves which I tend to remove because I don't want them blowing off into the neighbour's property (because I am trying to run a stealth grow here and no need to confuse them), otherwise I'd be happy to let the plants release their old leaves when they choose. So today, I decided to give a very small 4th top dressing and hopefully that'll be good until harvest.

Several grows ago, I was too conservative in the amount of the amendments I gave the plants. Each grow since, I have been trying a little bit more to tentatively establish where the 'Goldilocks zone' is, I think I am close to it with this grow, but today's topdressing is only small, only 1 tablespoon (1/16 of a cup) of Blood n Bone for the plant with the least lightening, and 3 tablespoons for the Mulanje which had the most. I included 2 tablespoons of Neem powder mostly as a pest deterrent but it does release some Nitrogen too.

These dry amendments were sprinkled over the existing mulch layer. On top of that I added 2 - 3 cups of fresh worm castings which included quite a lot of worms that I couldn't be bothered first removing. This was added as 'clumps' on top as it was too messy to lift the mulch layer and bird deterrent netting and training wires to mix in! So every time I water, more of it should wash in the main soil and become available to the plants.

Summary of top dressings given - for my own future reference and anyone who is interested

*The above quantities are for the smaller 30L (13 gallon) containers. I added a bit extra for the larger 50L (13 gallon) containers.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras - 2 tablespoons Neem Meal, 2 tablespoons Blood n Bone

Each pot then had 2 - 3 cups of fresh worm castings (including some worms) added on top.

Thanks for dropping by, wishing you and your gardens all the best! :ganjamon: :surf:
Awesome update. Beautiful close bud pictures, wow, getting into PHOTM stuff there. I still love the spiky straight pistils on the Mulanje. And damn if your Mango Sherbet isn't frosting up like a champ. Great work. Thanks for the incredible detail about the top dressings. Nice work.

Awesome update. Beautiful close bud pictures, wow, getting into PHOTM stuff there. I still love the spiky straight pistils on the Mulanje. And damn if your Mango Sherbet isn't frosting up like a champ. Great work. Thanks for the incredible detail about the top dressings. Nice work.
Thanks Jon, gearing up for the home turn now!

Looking amazing there!!!
Just a thought, I found plants especially at that stage of development are almost already as tall as they will get, and if you can possibly up pot, just to give an extra inch or two around the root ball of good fresh organic soil mix, that invigorates the plants, reverses the yellowing and the bud size outcome is massively increased in diameter and density, and of course yield.

Dear Stunger, what are the reasons for this amendment? I trust you wouldn't add that without good reasons. I'm just in awe of your grwo this year, cannot find the words...

Update - mostly pictorial for the last day of Summer!

Greetings fellow 420 enthusiasts!

It is the last official day of Summer for us in the Southern Hemisphere, the sun is out but there is a bit of a cool southerly breeze for a change. Aside from a little maintenance this morning and a BT spray, I am just watching and waiting, and waiting and watching, a not unpleasant activity that I can share below!

Some pics for future height reference

The Mulanje on her own

And today's view from the side window!

Thanks for dropping in, keep well and safe. :ganjamon:
Holy Moly!! I would very much like that view Good Sir!

I've got a backyard and I think I like your balcony view better!
Thanks Shed, although, once the harvesting is carried out the balcony it then looks so empty after 7 months of plants growing!
Looking amazing there!!!
Just a thought, I found plants especially at that stage of development are almost already as tall as they will get, and if you can possibly up pot, just to give an extra inch or two around the root ball of good fresh organic soil mix, that invigorates the plants, reverses the yellowing and the bud size outcome is massively increased in diameter and density, and of course yield.
Cheers for that suggestion tropics! It is a good one, but it'd be a messy procedure as the balcony is off the carpeted bedroom. If I attempted that, I think my other half would go ballistic if she caught me! If I had the pot outside on the lawn then I'd love to give it a go where the mess would not be a problem.

In the last week there has been notable lower yellowing. It's normal of course, but I'd still like for the plants to be optimised nutritionally. It's that balance between the veg and flowering phases. As I don't want to go too far and make super green plants that don't grow much buds.
:woohoo: Everything is going off and inching up. I love sativa's. The yellowing is normal, there is alot of growth down there.
Thanks stinker! The lower yellowing is showing when viewed in front, but from the side window which shows the tops of the plants, everything is still looking pretty lush and green.

Dear Stunger, what are the reasons for this amendment? I trust you wouldn't add that without good reasons. I'm just in awe of your grwo this year, cannot find the words...
Thanks Emeraldo! In my very first post of this thread I have listed Diastatic Malted Barley in the amendments I added in the outdoor growing off season (about a cup for the bigger pots). What follows is a cut n paste I made to answer why it's there.

My use of diastatic malted barley comes from Jim Bennett, who you may have heard of for formulating his famous Clackamas Coots soil recipe. I have a lot of other things in my soil so I must say here that I am not using his mix, but I liked his reasoning for adding a source of Chitin which can be crab meal or insect frass, or in my case, because I couldn't get either of those locally I used dried shrimp that I purchased from a local Asian food shop. Diastatic means that the malted barley contains enzymes from sprouting the barley. I buy mine from a beer brewing shop, they sell a bunch of different malted grains, but some are smoked which we don't want for 'gardening' as the diastatic content will be destroyed.

Chitin is a polysaccharide that when bacteria break it down it releases Chitinase which in turn breaks down hard insect shells. Diastatic malted barley is added to bread making to enhance the activity of the yeast. Barley when sprouted will produce at least 8 different enzymes. In bread making, one of these enzymes, protease, will accelerate the breakdown of gluten which is why in bread making they don't want to add too much, otherwise the bread will lose it's structure gained from the gluten. But out of those 8 enzymes found in diastatic malted barley it is Chitinase that we are interested in. So this is added to further assist in breaking down the Chitin source I added (dried shrimp). There are a number of defensive pathways that plants have to respond to pest and bug attacks, this relates to the Chitinase Salicylic pathway. The upshot is, that the plant becomes 'pre-warned' and stronger against hard shell insect attacks. Jim Bennett also found that the plants grew stronger, and flowering reached the harvest point a little quicker. Jim Bennett is an absolute legend, he has been growing the same plant for getting close to 40 years! Taking cuts off the mother plant, which has enabled him to observe the response of his amendments, just phenomenal!

Holy Moly!! I would very much like that view Good Sir!
Thanks Krissi! I am similarly in awe of your beautiful garden especially the Gorilla Glue x Super Lemon Haze!

Looking amazing there!!!
Hi @tropics - very interesting, never considered that before. So do I understand you to be saying a great time to up pot is when the stretch is over, after you're already on the 12/12? And give the roots a couple inches all around to play in while the plant buds out?

Hi @tropics - very interesting, never considered that before. So do I understand you to be saying a great time to up pot is when the stretch is over, after you're already on the 12/12? And give the roots a couple inches all around to play in while the plant buds out?
Yeah Im equally intrigued.

Often hear no up pot required, this is the beauty of this place, and shared experiences. If theres some merit in it, some evidence that theres a benefit to be gained, Im all ears.

Do you adjust any inputs to the media, or is it simply about the root zone having a greater area to recieve nutrient content?

Has this encouraged further root development? Any guidelines on approx diameter and depth increases you would recommend?

I did just up pot one of mine that was at least in the early stages of preflower if not further advanced, going by traditional wisdom (negligable further root development) thought it was pointless but the rootball had reached the limits of the pot size. Like Stunger, in fact from Stungers experience, I was/am using drilled pots to maintain a quasi airpot arrangement to manage them.

My thinking was as the outdoor temps dropped, specifically the overnights, having a greater mass encompassing the root ball might provide a little more sheilding or insulation from the very low points, with a slight chance the root mass may still expand.

The one I did up pot looked quite full of vigour below the soil, and had it been changed earlier would have certainly been quite capable of filling the space.

For differing reasons yellowing was present in veg, from mid veg in mine, so very keen to hear your thoughts on this method @tropics if you have the time to explain your timing and process including details approx volumes and media additions. Perhaps you have it covered in a journal, would be happy to scroll if it saves you collating.

Cheers

Thanks Shed, although, once the harvesting is carried out the balcony it then looks so empty after 7 months of plants growing!

Cheers for that suggestion tropics! It is a good one, but it'd be a messy procedure as the balcony is off the carpeted bedroom. If I attempted that, I think my other half would go ballistic if she caught me! If I had the pot outside on the lawn then I'd love to give it a go where the mess would not be a problem.

In the last week there has been notable lower yellowing. It's normal of course, but I'd still like for the plants to be optimised nutritionally. It's that balance between the veg and flowering phases. As I don't want to go too far and make super green plants that don't grow much buds.

Thanks stinker! The lower yellowing is showing when viewed in front, but from the side window which shows the tops of the plants, everything is still looking pretty lush and green.

Thanks Emeraldo! In my very first post of this thread I have listed Diastatic Malted Barley in the amendments I added in the outdoor growing off season (about a cup for the bigger pots). What follows is a cut n paste I made to answer why it's there.

My use of diastatic malted barley comes from Jim Bennett, who you may have heard of for formulating his famous Clackamas Coots soil recipe. I have a lot of other things in my soil so I must say here that I am not using his mix, but I liked his reasoning for adding a source of Chitin which can be crab meal or insect frass, or in my case, because I couldn't get either of those locally I used dried shrimp that I purchased from a local Asian food shop. Diastatic means that the malted barley contains enzymes from sprouting the barley. I buy mine from a beer brewing shop, they sell a bunch of different malted grains, but some are smoked which we don't want for 'gardening' as the diastatic content will be destroyed.

Chitin is a polysaccharide that when bacteria break it down it releases Chitinase which in turn breaks down hard insect shells. Diastatic malted barley is added to bread making to enhance the activity of the yeast. Barley when sprouted will produce at least 8 different enzymes. In bread making, one of these enzymes, protease, will accelerate the breakdown of gluten which is why in bread making they don't want to add too much, otherwise the bread will lose it's structure gained from the gluten. But out of those 8 enzymes found in diastatic malted barley it is Chitinase that we are interested in. So this is added to further assist in breaking down the Chitin source I added (dried shrimp). There are a number of defensive pathways that plants have to respond to pest and bug attacks, this relates to the Chitinase Salicylic pathway. The upshot is, that the plant becomes 'pre-warned' and stronger against hard shell insect attacks. Jim Bennett also found that the plants grew stronger, and flowering reached the harvest point a little quicker. Jim Bennett is an absolute legend, he has been growing the same plant for getting close to 40 years! Taking cuts off the mother plant, which has enabled him to observe the response of his amendments, just phenomenal!

Thanks Krissi! I am similarly in awe of your beautiful garden especially the Gorilla Glue x Super Lemon Haze!
Oh thanks so much Stunger, I feel as if I fail in comparison to this balcony of love though!!! She is wonderful though, almost ready that one, bittersweet for sure! :thanks::passitleft:

Update - A fraction more top dressing and mostly pictures

Yesterday I relented on my recent proclamation of a 4th and final top dressing, and I gave both 30L (8 gallon) pots 1 tablespoon each of Guano Phosphate, and I gave 1.5 TBSP to the 50L (13 gallon) pots. It's a is pretty tiny amount only a 1/16 of a cup, but I don't want them wanting and I don't want to overdo it either!

Today has been sunny and overcast and fairly windy which is great. Cooling overnight now too, my capsicums are all of a sudden busy fruiting. I trust the balcony girls know what they're doing!

The balcony line up today

The Mulanje
This is the only plant that I can fully open the door for, only because it's at the widest part of the balcony. If I tried that with the other 3 plants there would be a good chance of canopy damage, which I'd like to avoid if possible.

Some close ups - mostly pistils

And the late afternoon view from the side window

Thanks for dropping by good 420 folks! I hope you are all keeping safe, and your gardens are blooming. :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom