Subscription & Email Notification Issues

And how do I add forums to the Watched Forums list? I see no way to add forums to Watched Forums, either in Watched Forums itself or on the forum I want to watch. it only gives me an option to Watch or follow thread.

High AK - i was just passing by and saw this.

I have an email notification set up for new posts in the “Grow Journals” forum - to set it up I did this:

Go to the main forums page - by clicking on the “420 Forums” tab on the main Green Menu Bar (on PC, think that’s right fo you) > on that page scroll down to the forum area, I chose “Grow Journals” under ”THe GROW ROOM” heading > Then choose the forum you want, I chose “Journals in Progress” > then there should be an option over on the right to ‘Watch’, which you can do with emails, or just alerts the same as you can with threads.

I set this up a few days ago and have had emails about new journals. I haven’t checked whether it’s caught all new journals - kind of assumed it has - I should probably check!

ANd thanks for reporting back that the emails for your watched threads still aren’t working the way you want (or that they should). I’ve been meaning to ask around to get that feedback for Rob. MAybe I’ve held back a bit thinking that everyone’s probably tired of me asking about it! SO you saved me from asking you again!
:thanks:
:Namaste:

Still only getting emails from this forum/thread and an occasional email from one other watched forum/thread, even though email shows up next to the box on all my watched threads
Just had a thought about this, some folks have mentioned having to revisit all their threads to reactivate things, so I’m wondering if you’ve posted in any of the threads you’re watching (since the migration)... and if not, maybe that would fix it?:p:cool:

High AK - i was just passing by and saw this.

I have an email notification set up for new posts in the “Grow Journals” forum - to set it up I did this:

Go to the main forums page - by clicking on the “420 Forums” tab on the main Green Menu Bar (on PC, think that’s right fo you) > on that page scroll down to the forum area, I chose “Grow Journals” under ”THe GROW ROOM” heading > Then choose the forum you want, I chose “Journals in Progress” > then there should be an option over on the right to ‘Watch’, which you can do with emails, or just alerts the same as you can with threads.

* I only see an eye icon next to those forums on which I have enabled emails in Watched Threads. When I hover over the icon it says Thread Watched. There is nothing in the list that refers to Watch Forum.

When I click on your forum, I end up at the usual place in your forum, with only an option to watch or unwatch Thread. I already have each forum Watched with emails. So I'm not seeing ANYTHING that lets me Watch Forum. Just Watch Thread.

* I thought that I might have better luck trying to use the Watched Forum option in the 420 Forums tab, but it seems to be a dead option. No way to add a Forum to that list.

Without email access to the people I used to talk weed with, I am losing the passion for this hobby. I may very well give it up and leave 420, as much as I used to enjoy the community. No easy access to community, no inspiration to continue.

I have asked Teddy to move my Journal to unfinished or closed Forums. I'm done. :-(

@420
High Rob - just an update on that recent updated list of issues (from the P conversation 2 days ago). The Email notifications for Watched Threads has not improved for the folks that have been sharing they have that problem. So none of the recent scripts or upgrades have fixed that problem. Like I said - I didn’t use the feature before the migration so can’t test anything myself. SOme have tried the fix that was suggested (by O’lord maybe, or dynamo...?) of unwatching and watching again with email But still don’t get the notifications. Seems widespread? Hard to say - I don’t know a lot of folks. Maybe you need to spam everyone to ask who is having the problem. I’ve asked around these I know and so far no improvement - only one or 2 emails from one or 2 threads (so even on the threads where it works - it doesn’t work fully and only sends emails for a few posts, not all posts).

Just reporting in - don’t shoot the messenger! :surf:

I can only handle a hundred rabbit hole issues at a time lol

The email notifications investigation has begun, just not completed yet. There are 6 of us working on the issue collectively. This one takes a lot of time, because it's a mystery thus far. So far, we have zero screenshots or specific reports from anyone, so we'll need more data on that, instead of what I am seeing, "I'm not getting email notifications, this place sucks and I'm leaving". :)

Communication is the key to success in any relationship, and we are working our asses off day and night for you guys and gals.

When I first noticed the problem, I went to the watched threads page and clicked the "email" box and followed through. Later I noticed I wasn't getting them all, so I did the watch, then unwatch thing.

Sometimes I would find I again was not getting the notices, but could not recall what method I used with what thread. So I did the watch unwatch thing with all of those.

Since then I have had no problems except once, and that was a thread I did NOT click on because I was at work and didn't have time and deleted the notice from my email.
I did the watch unwatch thing again on that thread and have not had one single problem since.

I also make sure to click the link in the email or the alert notification for every thread. This may be where some are losing them, use to you did not have to visit the thread to keep getting notices. Is that the problem? I don't know, but that is what I have been doing with no more problems.

Hope this info can help.

EDIT: I said watch, unwatch thing, it is unwatch, watch thing.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. If you have to visit the thread again, before receiving another email notification, I can see how that would minimize people getting overwhelmed by dozens of emails for the same thread. That actually sounds like an improvement from the old system, wouldn't you agree? Also saves our email sending reputation, by not getting as many spam reports due to too many email notifications. People sign up to get the notifications, then get upset when they get too many and report us for spamming. The only issue I am seeing is that while the subscriptions were in fact migrated over, the email notifications are not coming in, maybe they all need to be reset as if nobody has visited those threads yet. I'll speak to the developers about this. Does this make sense, can you guys please give me your thoughts and feedback on this. :thanks:

I can only handle a hundred rabbit hole issues at a time lol

The email notifications investigation has begun, just not completed yet. There are 6 of us working on the issue collectively. This one takes a lot of time, because it's a mystery thus far. So far, we have zero screenshots or specific reports from anyone, so we'll need more data on that, instead of what I am seeing, "I'm not getting email notifications, this place sucks and I'm leaving". :)

Communication is the key to success in any relationship, and we are working our asses off day and night for you guys and gals.

Only a hundred? :eek:

So, it’s difficult to get anything as detailed as what O’lord has shared there from other folks.
I will do (am doing) what I can - but I think screen shots are not going to be forthcoming for that issue (and I wouldn’t know what to suggest someone screenshoot to illustrate the problem). I knw the people with the issue like to use their email inbox to keep up to date without visiting the site through the day at work or when they’re not able to log in or whatever - and then visit when they need to respond. If email links have to be visited in order to keep the notifications active, then I can see that this wouldn’t work for many that use the feature.

Just do what you do, those that appreciate the work put into this will still be here. Those that don’t oh well!
yes...

Let me see if I understand this correctly. If you have to visit the thread again, before receiving another email notification, I can see how that would minimize people getting overwhelmed by dozens of emails for the same thread. That actually sounds like an improvement from the old system, wouldn't you agree? Also saves our email sending reputation, by not getting as many spam reports due to too many email notifications. People sign up to get the notifications, then get upset when they get too many and report us for spamming. The only issue I am seeing is that while the subscriptions were in fact migrated over, the email notifications are not coming in, maybe they all need to be reset as if nobody has visited those threads yet. I'll speak to the developers about this. Does this make sense, can you guys please give me your thoughts and feedback on this. :thanks:

Hopefully you will get enough feedback instead of complaining to figure it out. I basically did reset all of them, but when we first changed over doing it from the watched thread page didn't work. Some did temporarily, but I suspect those were the ones I had to re-do later.

I recall @Duggan mentioning he doesn't visit the site when he is at work and reads the email notifications instead. I am thinking in a case like his, if he didn't visit the thread, he may have unknowingly caused the email notifications to stop. But that is speculation on my part and without others giving an accurate account can't confirm.

Can anyone explain the benefit or function of "following" someone? I have done that to several people and to date have seen nothing more than the normal post/ alerts/ likes that I would see anyway.

No! All I can see is that sometimes when I visit the ‘420 Forums’ main page (only on lager mobile device or desktop) there’s a little section on the right which shows if anybody i ‘follow’ is online. That’s the only thing - apart from occasional alerts that ‘...often someone i;ve never heard of...’ Is now followiing me (which I’m trying not to be creeped out by!)

I can run some tests. Amy etal send me a link or two to threads you are having email alert problems with, and I'll set them up and see what happens.

Hi bear, I don’t have the issue myself. I’ve been trying to help out folks that do and, for whatever reason, are not up to posting all the details about it here. I’m just the messenger on this one. Overlord has wrangled it himself and passed on his workarounds to others which have only been successful in some instances. And some folks aren‘t tech comforatble enough to wrangle problems in this way. We could all sign up for emails and see if it works but I’m not sure how useful that would be because the issue has been with the watch lists the carried over during the migration. I never had notifications set up before, so it’s not relevant to my watch list.

I know AK and @Duggan, and @Darkscotia have all had issues with it ... you could ask them?

Personally - I’m not having any issues with the site (none that I can’t get around anyway...)

@420 Rob, is it possible to set it up so peopl have the option to be emailed for every single post or just a digest/once a day kind of thing. The people having the most despair with this seem to be those who rely on every post coming in email, which you noted above not everybody likes. But some rely on it it seems so maybe there’s a way the devs can set it up so the choice can be more specific.
Just an idea.

@420 Rob, is it possible to set it up so peopl have the option to be emailed for every single post or just a digest/once a day kind of thing. The people having the most despair with this seem to be those who rely on every post coming in email, which you noted above not everybody likes. But some rely on it it seems so maybe there’s a way the devs can set it up so the choice can be more specific.
Just an idea.

I have seen that on other forums, but if the "didn't click the link or alert notification" is a real problem then even that isn't going to solve the problem.

I myself on the old software would come in tired and not feel like reading and just clear my notices. But I knew I would get them next time someone posted. This has been a habit for many members for a long time, so they will have to relearn and click every notice, send out one regardless if they click the link, or @420 needs to see if they can come up with a way to maybe send some sort of reminder notice from time to time. Again that is provided that "not clicking the link is a real problem."

So I did confirm if you subscribe to email notifications you do not get email notifications from that thread until you have returned to the thread
Also if you sign up for the alerts and email notifications you do not get alerts anymore on replies to a thread because you're notified with the emails hope that makes sense

So I think the system is working correctly it's just some people want the 320 emails a day like we used to get before which I hated LOL

I'll look into the preferences and see if there are toggles to allow continuous emails for each post

So I did confirm if you subscribe to email notifications you do not get email notifications from that thread until you have returned to the thread
Also if you sign up for the alerts and email notifications you do not get alerts anymore on replies to a thread because you're notified with the emails hope that makes sense

So I think the system is working correctly it's just some people want the 320 emails a day like we used to get before which I hated LOL

I'll look into the preferences and see if there are toggles to allow continuous emails for each post

Still need a few people to try returning to the thread, but not via the email or alert links.

Will the person continue to get notifications in that case?

I don't see any way in preferences to get emails for every Post in a thread so maybe it's a back-end thing option that can be added for the few people that do want 320 or I should say 420 emails a day

I don't see any way in preferences to get emails for every Post in a thread so maybe it's a back-end thing option that can be added for the few people that do want 320 or I should say 420 emails a day
I see nothing like this in the admin panel whatsoever.

Still need a few people to try returning to the thread, but not via the email or alert links.

Will the person continue to get notifications in that case?

Yes, once I returned to this thread and posted I received notifications that at 420 yourself had posted no not all of them at 420 he posted first

Back
Top Bottom