Sweetsue's First Grow - Stealthy Trio of Autos Under CFLs

That is some good space and a very good light.

Atm I grow at 2,5´x4´x6,5´ but only until I get more light in 2-3month.
It is some cheap made box to get started and easier environment control and heating.

Now we have complete insulate the hole room and build a 3,5´x4´x6,5´ veg box in it.
Only thing what has to be done is get rid of that bloombox and build a separation for the new bloom area 4´x 8,5´ x 8,5´

That is some good space and a very good light.

Atm I grow at 2,5´x4´x6,5´ but only until I get more light in 2-3month.
It is some cheap made box to get started and easier environment control and heating.

Now we have complete insulate the hole room and build a 3,5´x4´x6,5´ veg box in it.
Only thing what has to be done is get rid of that bloombox and build a separation for the new bloom area 4´x 8,5´ x 8,5´

The ability to run two plants in one tiny, tiny closet drew me to the world of Autos. I have yet to harvest, but so far I think they may be the choice for me. My challenge will be to get a yield that will carry us grow-to-grow. Trying to fit two boxes in our small apartment would have been impossible. I envy those who can expand the grow possibilities. Best of luck on yours.

In your new space you could still do 2 Autos and veg some photo beside it.

As all my clones died I will run 4 Autos and veg some photos beside them as both get 18/6
I start my Autos next week as I get them and still 3 weeks left with my photos in bloom.

I made my 4'x8' flower room out of 1" thick foam insulation panels with foil on one side.
Light weight, inexpensive and easy to cut with a saw or steak knife. A foam similar to packing peanuts.
The walls are too weak to support nails and I worry I will one day lean against them and smash them,
but they have survived for almost a year now without mishap.

I made my 8'x8' garden room out of MDF sheets which is much heavier. I love it for the ceiling because it is great for drilling hanging holes every few inches. It was much harder to build with but sturdy like a well made cabinet. Power saws are required for cutting.

Both rooms were framed with 2x4 lumber. I think I like the foam walls better.
The hardest part of building with foam insulation was driving the 4x8 sheets home without them cracking and breaking in the wind.

I made my 4'x8' flower room out of 1" thick foam insulation panels with foil on one side.
Light weight, inexpensive and easy to cut with a saw or steak knife. A foam similar to packing peanuts.
The walls are too weak to support nails and I worry I will one day lean against them and smash them,
but they have survived for almost a year now without mishap.

I made my 8'x8' garden room out of MDF sheets which is much heavier. I love it for the ceiling because it is great for drilling hanging holes every few inches. It was much harder to build with but sturdy like a well made cabinet. Power saws are required for cutting.

Both rooms were framed with 2x4 lumber. I think I like the foam walls better.
The hardest part of building with foam insulation was driving the 4x8 sheets home without them cracking and breaking in the wind.

Great minds think alike Rad. Dale plays with tiny model trains (the current layout is T-guage) and we have all this foam leaning up against walls - leftover pieces. None large enough to use for this, but as we climbed into bed last night I was looking at a larger piece and thinking about precisely what you suggested. It's an alternative we should explore. The landlord has a truck and drops by the building a couple times a month. He'll let me order from Lowe's for him to pick up. Hmmm... Maybe ask a friend instead and bypass that awkward conversation with the landlord.

I would be more inclined to line the box with foam project boards. This stuff is an excellent reflective surface. I'll have to take a look at the silver-lined sheets. Hadn't considered that. I was thinking about the green ones Dale uses.

You have me thinking now Rad. We 'll definitely be talking about this over breakfast. Those foam insulation boards would be much easier to carry up to the third floor. Those 40 steps are pretty steep.

Daily Update: Day 45 (THC Bomb) & Day 44 (Buddha Magnum)

The Bomb is up another 1/2" to 19" in stature. Buddha is hanging tight at her previous 17 1/2". This is the second time in a week that she didn't grow vertically overnight but took more water in over the previous 24 hour period than her companion. Interesting.

This morning, to continue encouraging this fabulous growth, I added 1/4 cup of coconut water to 20 ounces of rainwater and split it between the two as a top drench before I topped off their reservoirs. It's a bit tricky using these just-the-right-size pans for the SWICKs. The glare of the lights makes it a challenge to see the water level - or at least I always find myself worrying about overfilling. It hasn't happened, and won't, for that matter, because it's always obvious when you finally do see that shimmer of the water layer. It would be easier with pans that were a bit larger than the pot. Then I could have created a clear well off in one corner of each pan, using a cup or water bottle to more easily gauge the water depth. This is still working efficiently, so no complaints. The Bomb is shooting roots out all around the base of the pot, even coming up the sides.

Now for the daily profile shot.

image17862.jpg

It's finally time to take the Christmas tree down, so I thought it appropriate to include it in one last holiday photo.

image17863.jpg

Short and sweet today guys. All smooth running here. You all have a great day. I'm going to check on stainless now. He was supposed to chop his lovelies yesterday.

:Namaste:

Daily Update: Day 46 (THC Bomb) & Day 45 (Buddha Magnum)

WE HAVE TRICHOME PRODUCTION!!!:cheer:

When I tucked them in last night I got a strong whiff of perfumes instead of the usual earthy scent the pots have been giving off. That got me pretty excited. It's comical how you hold your breath waiting for the stages of development. This grow is clicking along so smoothly and I was anxious to get to this point. Anyway, I jumped out of bed this morning to tend to the lovelies and was greeted by

TRICHOMES! Here's the Bomb...

image17916.jpg

.... and Buddha didn't want to be left behind, so she started showing her sparkle too.

image17917.jpg

The Bomb is up a bit more than her usual 1/2" to just over 19 1/2" this morning. Buddha is holding firm. I expected her to outpace the Bomb, so this is surprising to me. She's still taking on slightly more water every day too. Curious. One would expect increased water to indicate vertical growth was eminent. We will see.

The difference in their flowering is fascinating as well. The Bomb stacks hers in a nice, tall structure...

image17918.jpg

.... while Buddha has hers all packed in tightly into a smaller area. Like a little rave. She's such a party girl.

image17919.jpg

A couple canopy shots. The Bomb up first, followed by her shorter companion, the Happy Buddha.

image17920.jpg

image17921.jpg

A parting shot in profile.

image17922.jpg

Lots of running around on busses today. I haven't had to push him around for over a week now. I'm probably going to feel it later. It's a good thing I work out. :laughtwo:

You all have a good day.

:Namaste:

Thanks for the reps Radogast. That was sweet. As though I could reign back the mom spirit. :laugh::green_heart:

It's a good thing I learned how to easily neutralize the chloramines with molasses because my rainwater catch basin split on the last freeze and won't be catching any more. Bummer. Guess I'll drill some holes and plant something in it this spring.

Well crud! I miscalculated on my taxes and will only be getting a paltry amount back. I chose to quit my job in April to care for Dale so my earnings were abysmal last year. The refund is less than $100, nothing near what I'll need for that light I covet. This means I will be using that tiny refund to begin my light fund. I'll restrict my hobby expenditures (gardening stuff) and put every possible penny into the fund until I have the total.

Staying positive and flexible. Sooner or later I WILL upgrade. It'll take a few months longer than anticipated, but it will be before July, so I'll still have the mad money fund for building the box.

It's a good thing I utilize these CFLs so well, isn't it? :laugh:

I'm gutted for you about your lack of refund! I too used to use CFL's and upgraded to LEDS a while back, I couldn't afford the posh lights so I got a cheap 300w panel (180w actual draw) on a certain auction site, cost me £70 which I think is closeish to a $100, in the space of six months I saved more in electric costs than the cheap panel cost to buy, if your power costs are high where you are it might be worth considering a cheap panel whilst you save for the lights you really want.

Well crud! I miscalculated on my taxes and will only be getting a paltry amount back. I chose to quit my job in April to care for Dale so my earnings were abysmal last year. The refund is less than $100, nothing near what I'll need for that light I covet. This means I will be using that tiny refund to begin my light fund. I'll restrict my hobby expenditures (gardening stuff) and put every possible penny into the fund until I have the total.

Staying positive and flexible. Sooner or later I WILL upgrade. It'll take a few months longer than anticipated, but it will be before July, so I'll still have the mad money fund for building the box.

It's a good thing I utilize these CFLs so well, isn't it? :laugh:

This is in no way advice of any sort... Do you have any income that you cant deduct? You could have a startup in your apartment, with all kinds of expenses to assign to it.

Your "SweetSue Living Soil Research company" can deduct up to 50% of your apartment. Cough cough...

Dont deduct the girls, deduct the research to make the girls grow. Most startups have negative burn rates for a while. cough cough.

Your research is perfect for background on your future E-Book you will be writing in 2015 and selling for cash via paypal... cough cough

All of the above is hypothetical based on your expenses in 2014 doing research for your future ebook of course.

I'm gutted for you about your lack of refund! I too used to use CFL's and upgraded to LEDS a while back, I couldn't afford the posh lights so I got a cheap 300w panel (180w actual draw) on a certain auction site, cost me £70 which I think is closeish to a $100, in the space of six months I saved more in electric costs than the cheap panel cost to buy, if your power costs are high where you are it might be worth considering a cheap panel whilst you save for the lights you really want.

Thanks Pearl.:love: I'm already sitting here and taking into consideration the energy savings and the cost of replacing the CFLs after each grow as opposed to sucking it up and getting the light I want. I can probably get everyone on board for that. I know the LED will make such a difference. In this small space I can only use a 90W Intelligent Gro anyway, so I'm only looking at around $350 total. In two months of austerity budgeting I can make that happen. I've worked fiscal magic many times before. I'm worth it. :laugh:

Then, after we get the new box built I can get another 90W (or maybe two more :rollingeyes:) and be set. See? The list continues to grow. :laugh::green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom