Switched from Miracle Grow to Foxfarms, trying to survive!

Squisha T

Hey guys! Here is my first grow and im starting with a bag seed but I first started the seedling in miracle grow and just transplanted to foxfarms but have been struggling with deficiencies. I believe i could have overwatered a few times but thats about it. Started noticing black and brown spots on the tips and sides of leaves After transplanting. Stems are also purple. Temp and humidity is around 80 degrees 60-70% Ph is set to about 6.3-6.5 and only feeding with the the first step liquid plant food but have the quantity. Getting ready to plant some official wedding cake and just want to be prepare. Thanks guys, much love! Also the pictures are making the plant look a lot more yellower than it is it’s darker green than the pic but some of the plant like I said is definitely either pure white, (the top leaf thats I clipped) and a few other problems but started noticing the brownish black spots on the edges after switching soils. Using Mars Hydro TS2000 about 20” from the top of the plant and @ 75% strength.

03DAFDF7-088E-4AEE-8928-C2104522EB48.jpeg

C51D087F-E46E-4B22-A9D8-3F73F6D8E8AB.jpeg

959B1109-9A4C-4D94-B3A6-39A8051DE84B.jpeg

Also the pictures are making the plant look a lot more yellower than it is it’s darker green than the pic but some of the plant like I said is definitely either pure white, (the top leaf thats I clipped) ....
Many grow lights are designed to give an off color light which is for the plants but does change how the colors look to a human eye. Can you take the container outside into natural light. Sunlight should all the true colors to show.

....and only feeding with the the first step liquid plant food but have the quantity.
It will help if you can tell us the brand name of the company that makes this plant food and the name the company gives to the mixture. An example is Fox Farm makes the fertilizers and Big Bloom is the name of the mixture. And, do you have the feeding schedules for the fertilizers you are using?

Many grow lights are designed to give an off color light which is for the plants but does change how the colors look to a human eye. Can you take the container outside into natural light. Sunlight should all the true colors to show.

It will help if you can tell us the brand name of the company that makes this plant food and the name the company gives to the mixture. An example is Fox Farm makes the fertilizers and Big Bloom is the name of the mixture. And, do you have the feeding schedules for the fertilizers you are using?
I only have been using fox farms liquid plant food for about 2 weeks and @ half the strength

Fox Farms has quite a few liquid fertilizer mixes which is why it is best to mention the name on the bottle. There are many growers here who use the Fox Farm products and the name will help then figure out problems.
I understand that. Thats why I said Liquid Plant Food…Big Bloom by Foxfarms. Sorry for the confusion. Here is the photo of it today..seems to be less droopy, havent watered in 2 days because I believe i have been overwatering in its beginning stages. But nervouse on why the sides of the leafs are brownish/black. Almost looks like light burn but i dont know how thatd be possible with my lighys around 18-20”

AE90FC21-46B5-40BD-97E8-AACE41654AB7.jpeg

I just started germinating Barneys Farm Wedding Cake seeds so I want to be prepared as best as I can so the initial veg/growth is clean how its suppose to. Any recommendations you guys have would be great. Using Fox farms ocean forest. And mars hydro ts2000 (300w)

Thats why I said Liquid Plant Food…Big Bloom by Foxfarms.
Didn't notice the Big Bloom, just Fox Farms liquid plant food.

Remember that Big Bloom is not a plant food with a 0-0.5-0.7 NPK ratio. It can be used as a supplement to the other two bottles in the Fox Farm basic trio. The purpose behind the Big Bloom is to provide the micro-organisms that will break down any organic materials in the soil. If you are going to use just the Big Bloom and not the other two then use the amounts per gallon as listed on the bottle.

Or, pick up the other two bottles in the trio and then use the amounts per gallon as listed on the Fox Farms Feeding Schedule.

The bigger your plant or the longer it is in its vegetating stage the more likely you will need the entire trio. Otherwise, the soil and micro-organisms will not be able to keep up with the demands for nutrients that the plant sends out through the roots.

Other brands of fertilizers can be used along with the Big Bloom if wanted. But, the Fox Farm company has been a leader in the field for a long time so it is up to you.

Any recommendations you guys have would be great. Using Fox farms ocean forest.
Remember to fill the pot up to about a 1/4 inch below the rim with the soil. The root system will make use of all the real estate it can.

Here is what she is looking like today. Looks less droopy since havent watered in 2 days. Moves lights lil higher around 22” and dimmed to about 70%. Humidity stays around 60% and 75-80 degrees. Does anyone have any suggestions on what you would do? Trying to figure out which deficiencies they are and how to compensate. Thanks so much guys. Wedding cake seeds are starting to crack open 😇 Noticed purple stems as well before transplanting & before edges of leafs started turning colors

E7DEE6C5-0D68-4FAC-9EF4-3E871AE36F12.jpeg

475DC26A-A5BB-4277-BA17-A40C93D04143.jpeg

E65A11CA-7323-45AC-AB92-7105AAA75166.jpeg

9B19AE33-E13F-4C2A-AB1D-B5D8CBD1CFA3.jpeg

Just MHO, but I believe the problem can be tracked back to overwatering, the roots are weak and probably a bit undeveloped from being drowned, they can’t take in enough nutes. If it were me, I’d just let it go dry, then water for a few cycles and let the roots develop, then go back to a regular feeding regime. Read Emilya’s tutorial on watering potted plants.

Your job now is to wait. I would be concerned that you added to many nutes. Just let the soil do its thing. Get dry. I would use just water until you see a good change. Do you know the pH of your water, and water w nutes ?
Thats what I was thinking, let it fully dry out and start watering it with a good wet/dry cycle, I was doing it wrong forsure by watering like every 1-2 days. I did set the pH with the fox farms big bloom but im going to stick with just water and see how the plant reacts. I really appreciate the response!

Just MHO, but I believe the problem can be tracked back to overwatering, the roots are weak and probably a bit undeveloped from being drowned, they can’t take in enough nutes. If it were me, I’d just let it go dry, then water for a few cycles and let the roots develop, then go back to a regular feeding regime. Read Emilya’s tutorial on watering potted plants.
I know forsure now that I have been overwatering so im going to do what you said, let it fully dry and measure the pH of just water and see how she acts from the good pH water and using up the nutrients from the Fox farms Ocean Forest soil. Thanks so much on your response, that tutorial definitely helped out alot! Thanks man

Thats what I was thinking, let it fully dry out and start watering it with a good wet/dry cycle, I was doing it wrong forsure by watering like every 1-2 days. I did set the pH with the fox farms big bloom but im going to stick with just water and see how the plant reacts. I really appreciate the response!
No worries! We are all here to help! Like @Phytoplankton said. Read. @Emilya Green tutorial on watering potted plants. Her information is invaluable. :bongrip:

We all think we know. But sometimes extra isn't always better.

Day 3 from watering with half the strength of fox farms big bloom 3ml cuz I didnt know what I was doing lol & then transplanted 2 days ago. Been overwatering as well I believe so been trying to wait until the soil is fully dry so I can get a fresh wet cycle of correct watering to her. Meter still showing moisture…what would you guys do? Seems as if plants growing but leafs are getting blacker..Any suggestions pleaseT
B5697DF6-BE04-4FD3-ACF2-33310005DE64.jpeg
5F31D154-0801-4A9F-80AC-8F54D75E1CB4.jpeg
EEE37CEF-A58B-4349-9FDE-9A6250F9563A.jpeg
B5BFBB6B-9FB9-4B9D-AF56-527F138C83C7.jpeg

First thing I'd do is up-pot that plant to a pot that is filled to the top with soil. You are probably overwatering because there's not enough soil. Big Bloom alone is not going to do the trick. You need all 3 & you need to follow the Fox Farms schedule as it's written. 1/2 strength doesn't work with these nutes. @Emilya Green , you can explain this way better than I can. Trying to get the OP help before it's too late.

First thing I'd do is up-pot that plant to a pot that is filled to the top with soil. You are probably overwatering because there's not enough soil. Big Bloom alone is not going to do the trick. You need all 3 & you need to follow the Fox Farms schedule as it's written. 1/2 strength doesn't work with these nutes. @Emilya Green , you can explain this way better than I can. Trying to get the OP help before it's too late.
It always pays to follow directions. Big Bloom is not even a nutrient and has nothing that the plant is needing right now. The feeding chart would have you using Grow Big along with the Big Bloom, and your plants would look completely different having gotten the nutrients that they needed. Half strength also doesn't work very well when the feeding chart tells you exactly what the plants need per week of growth. Maybe you are using half strength the dosage suggested on the bottle, which actually are the outdoor instructions and are nowhere near what is called for in an indoor grow. I suggest following the directions that Fox Farm publishes on its feeding charts. Also what BB said about using the entire container and not overwatering... all good advice.

Day 3 from watering with half the strength of fox farms big bloom 3ml cuz I didnt know what I was doing lol & then transplanted 2 days ago. Been overwatering as well I believe so been trying to wait until the soil is fully dry so I can get a fresh wet cycle of correct watering to her. Meter still showing moisture…what would you guys do? Seems as if plants growing but leafs are getting blacker..Any suggestions pleaseT
B5697DF6-BE04-4FD3-ACF2-33310005DE64.jpeg
5F31D154-0801-4A9F-80AC-8F54D75E1CB4.jpeg
EEE37CEF-A58B-4349-9FDE-9A6250F9563A.jpeg
B5BFBB6B-9FB9-4B9D-AF56-527F138C83C7.jpeg
Those meters suck! I had one and it caused more problems than it was worth. When the pot is dry lift it up, feel the weight, then when needed, water, then lift the pot and feel the difference. Some people even weigh them, wet vs dry, but I'm not quite that motivated.

Just got watered her after 4 days. Waited until she was completely dry & mixed 2 tsp Fox farms Grow Big & 12tsp of Big bloom in a 1 Gallon jugg of water & balanced the ph to about 6.4. Watered her last night about 1.5 Quarts. She is still looking hurt like color wise and how some of the leafs are pointing down and brown around the edges. Mostly all from overwatering & no feeding it proper nutrients from the start. What are your thoughts? Try to keep it going? Currently got 2 brand new seedlings of Wedding Cake by Barneys farm crawling up out of the soil :).

CC4E687B-EBBF-4F45-A9A3-512F6DE3F463.jpeg

BC2024A2-68A4-4DDC-A246-EBEF62E76C7B.jpeg

BCA2B806-88B5-4A0D-8E48-489D32772D1A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom