The 420 Fotographer Collective: Advanced Cannabis Photography

The 420 Fotographer Collective - Member Bio

Username: MagicJim

Grow method and strains: I grow in soil under LEDs. I'm more likely to be growing anything. Current favorites are Chemdawg, Blue Dream and Jack Herer. Still looking for that killer high.

Camera, Lenses and Gear: I use a Nikon D5300 camera. AF-S DX Micro 40/2.8G & AF-S 18-55mm lens. I sometimes will use a Canon PowerShot point and shoot camera. I too use a cheap but reliable tripod and a shooting stick. The stick is more versatile inside the tent. :rofl:

It seems like I have one of those grey cards somewhere but have never used it to white balance. Normally, I just turn the LED off and use some CFLs at the top of my tents to provide my light.

Experience level and photography background: I retain my amateur status. I've read the manuals and attempted to use some of the features. I'm always in learning mode.

What is your style? (portrait, journal, macro, outdoor, instructional, various) My style is to get the best result possible. I take a bunch of pictures and cull most. I do love to just capture shots for instructions. It's amazing how many REPS one can get from a DIY project.

My goal is to use the camera to document my grows. It helps me get better as a grower. Many times other growers will spot deficiencies or other things in a good photograph. Heck...I've even seen nanners and mold in other's tents.

Favourite lens or type of shot: I love getting a good macro shot. I guess that variable lens would be my favorite but I've found they're all hard to use at times.

If you could give 1 tip for new photographers: PW pointed out the obvious tripod. For those using phones and don't have the equipment, just brace your hand on something steady. I've used all sorts of things like juice cans and such...

Other introductory options:

Please share 1 of you favourite photos and explain why it works so well for you. What equipment did you use?

Here's the one I currently have entered in the photo contest. I'd have to research which camera I used but suspect the Canon.

DSC_060324.JPG

Please share 1 technique you use in a step by step how-to. Cameras and gooey stuff don't mix. This applies to sticky just harvested buds too. If possible, clean hands well before trying to photograph your subject.

Choose a few of your favourite photos and share them.

IMG_44156.JPG

IMG_48167.JPG

Talk about a piece of your equipment you can't live without. Light

Share the link to other photography related content you have created.

What's In Jim's Grow Room?

Post 688 if the link doesn't direct you properly.

That's all I got folks. Have a great day. Thanks Urb for the idea and the invitation. :love:

Basically what Age is saying, and thank you by the way for coming, is that he knows photography. Take a look at some of his work, and by work I mean growing beautiful cannabis plants and showing them off with contest winning images, following his journals are a must.

That Camera says "I took pictures for money" lol

Something else this wise man has passed along to you is the use of a tripod. I echo that tip, one with a ball head that can take your cameras weight. Another good tip on the 5 basic rules and the 5 secondary rules of composition. I am gonna check that out. Great advice and thanks for the introduction.

lol and yes Tunkers, more light lol

Got me all choked man... thanks Urb!

Username: MagicJim

Grow method and strains: I grow in soil under LEDs. I'm more likely to be growing anything. Current favorites are Chemdawg, Blue Dream and Jack Herer. Still looking for that killer high.

Camera, Lenses and Gear: I use a Nikon D5300 camera. AF-S DX Micro 40/2.8G & AF-S 18-55mm lens. I sometimes will use a Canon PowerShot point and shoot camera. I too use a cheap but reliable tripod and a shooting stick. The stick is more versatile inside the tent. :rofl:

It seems like I have one of those grey cards somewhere but have never used it to white balance. Normally, I just turn the LED off and use some CFLs at the top of my tents to provide my light.

Experience level and photography background: I retain my amateur status. I've read the manuals and attempted to use some of the features. I'm always in learning mode.

What is your style? (portrait, journal, macro, outdoor, instructional, various) My style is to get the best result possible. I take a bunch of pictures and cull most. I do love to just capture shots for instructions. It's amazing how many REPS one can get from a DIY project.

My goal is to use the camera to document my grows. It helps me get better as a grower. Many times other growers will spot deficiencies or other things in a good photograph. Heck...I've even seen nanners and mold in other's tents.

Favourite lens or type of shot: I love getting a good macro shot. I guess that variable lens would be my favorite but I've found they're all hard to use at times.

If you could give 1 tip for new photographers: PW pointed out the obvious tripod. For those using phones and don't have the equipment, just brace your hand on something steady. I've used all sorts of things like juice cans and such...

Please share 1 of you favourite photos and explain why it works so well for you. What equipment did you use?

Here's the one I currently have entered in the photo contest. I'd have to research which camera I used but suspect the Canon.

DSC_060324.JPG

Please share 1 technique you use in a step by step how-to. Cameras and gooey stuff don't mix. This applies to sticky just harvested buds too. If possible, clean hands well before trying to photograph your subject.

IMG_44156.JPG

IMG_48167.JPG

Talk about a piece of your equipment you can’t live without. Light

Share the link to other photography related content you have created.

What's In Jim's Grow Room?

Post 688 if the link doesn't direct you properly.

That's all I got folks. Have a great day. Thanks Urb for the idea and the invitation. :love:

Great introduction, pretty sure we have the photo of the month winner in this thread somewhere, glad to have you on board Jim.

If you havent popped into Jims Grow Room you are missing out. All sorts of tasty buds being grown over there.

Great tip regarding stabilizing point and shoots. I often used towels or some other way to prop them up. Then use the 2 second timer to take the shot. Limits the blur factor quite a bit. You can also get some interesting angles doing that.

lol I will definitely clean my hands this first harvest before touching my camera...solid advice right there

Funny, I did the same thing, turn off the grow lights and use regular light for the photos. Photography is painting with light. So the more quality light you have the better. Summer sunshine with clouds or some form of diffusion is best. Either early in the day or later in the day to get those nice long rays. Mid day direct sun is too harsh. But make the best of what you have. Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Hey Agemon, I hope you know I meant no disrespect. I'm still not sure where you were going with your question to the noobz about the framing of your photo prior to the shot. I'm a crappy photographer with just an iPhone, so my fix is in the mix. I can shoot in raw format with an app, and between PS and LR can end up with a decent photo but here I rarely take the time to do anything but some rough white balancing to deal with HPS and 3500K LED lighting.

edit: Can I enter your photo that I PSed in shot of the month? I think it turned out pretty nice! LOL, just kidding.

Username:

bobrown14 - Aka Bob...

Grow method and strains:

Organic soil no-til coots mix with AutoPot XL automated watering system.

Camera, Lenses and Gear:

Just bought a Nikon D3400 DSLR - I have several lens that I use. I use both automatic and manual and semi-manual settings depending on my mood and lens.

The lens I like for indoor plant photography (lately) has been my kit 18-55MM auto focus Nikor lens.

AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens

I also use the other kit lens with a longer focal point:

AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED - this lens I usually mount to a tripod or a monopod for indoor photos. It takes excellent flower pics

I also have another lens for all around shooting:

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens - can take some pretty good close up with this one. But this lens is a good all around lens. I could probably mount this one and leave it on. Very versatile. This lens is AUTO and also has a MANUAL switch so I can focus the old fashioned way.. which I like very much.

Another "trick" lens I'm still trying to figure out.. it doesn't take the best pics yet or I'm not able to bring out the best with it. I'm @ keep 1 throw out 20 maybe. Too much work for me, but outdoors up close its amazing. Also good for a wide angle "family pic" as well. This is really a novelty lens for me for playing around and trying to be creative. For closeups I can get about an inch away from my subject and get 1:1 ratio.. When I do that I usually end up with trichomes on the lens. Lighting tho is key and difficult up close since the lens will block a lot of the light and a hand held flash with diffusion is almost a requirement indoors up close. Very very cool lens for outdoor up close pics where lighting is best and wide angle too.

Opteka 15mm f/4 LD UNC AL 1:1 Macro Manual Focus Full Frame Wide Angle Lens

Experience level and photography background:

I went to art school for my 1st year in college @ University of the Arts in Philly and studied the foundation in arts program everyone that goes there has to take to move on to their specialty. I moved on to Engineering. Learning to paint, draw, sculpture, 2D & 3D design, really opened my eyes to what is around me... all aspects of life. I still paint with my wife, creative gardening, build stuff all the time... art training has given me the ability to really "see" what's around us and even sometimes see potential in what isn't there but what can be. I didn't take photography classes, no time. But back then I was taking a lot of 35mm pics in black and white film.. learned pretty quick to try and get the best pic I could. I'm spoiled now in comparison.

What is your style? (portrait, journal, macro, outdoor, instructional, various)

I like to take outdoor nature pictures and of course macro flower pics. My wife does too... also love to take family pics of our 2 Shar-Pei dogs.

I don't really have a favorite .. but I guess I end up taking more outdoor pictures in general. Macro is fun but I'm not the best at it. Still learning.

Favourite lens or type of shot:

18-55mm kit lens taking macro shots...

If you could give 1 tip for new photographers:

Carry your camera everywhere you go, and use it often.

Please share 1 of you favorite photos and explain why it works so well for you. What equipment did you use?

This was taken I think with my 35mm lens set to auto and using the "sports" mode where I take a picture and hold the shutter release button and it takes a bunch of pics until I let the button go... fast motion photography basically. This pic I got "the look" of our pup Ruby going into her "zumi" mode. See the eyes ... very very difficult to capture that. Zumi is a dog thing where pups just go crazy and start running around playing for no apparent reason... I guess I call it happiness. We were at a dog park the first time, the dog was just left off leash and wanted to play.

DSC_0006_3_3.JPG

One of my favorite places on earth - Cottage 420 - Scooby rock tribute to an old friend. This rock reminds me of my buddy laying down hanging out by the lake. I get tears viewing this pic. Probably using the 35mm lens here.

DSC_0105_2_2.JPG

Sunrise at the lake... I like this one cause my wife took it!

Rare I get up this early... it's probably 4am = pretty far north into Canada.

DSC_0066_2_2.JPG

and this on too!

DSC_007449.JPG

Please share 1 technique you use in a step by step how-to.

Pretty much how I take pictures is get my camera out and look for something I see interesting and take a bunch of pics from different angles and sometimes different lighting. Sort it out later. I depend on my "eye" and not so much equipment.

Talk about a piece of your equipment you can't live without.

Ears and eyes...

Welcome!

Thanks for the invite Urban .. This is a lovely initiative sure to have great outcomes and the set up is excellent. I've already had some thoughts in response to the bios/intros - I'll be back to do mine, it'll take me a little while...
so glad you could make it Amy, I am looking forward to you sharing some of your captures, take your time as we wont be going anywhere.

:thumb:checked on used macro lens for D50- very few, very expensive:thanks::Namaste:
yeah my 100mm was $900 I think. Twice as much as my camera was lol. Its pricey. But there are much cheaper options. Extension tubes for example.

im subbed urban i like what you have going on here ill be back to put in my bio and learn more about taking photos thanks for the invite man!
Glad you popped in, most folks will recognize your bud photos, so its nice to have you join us.

Perhaps I can just post a pic for now,,??

P1160162.JPG
Nivek, please post away, share photos or tips or gear reviews. Lovely bud photo, always a fan of the inclusion of little workers lol

I'm in too. I'll be investing in a camera soon. Taking pictures on my old phone is a pain
Excellent, a phone can be a great camera that lets you move around and get into weird spots, but it has limitations. Glad you made it and I hope we can help or inspire you. Possibly make the camera phone less of a pain lol

I am really impressed with the turn out so far. Thank you, each and every one of you for, coming and sharing. This wouldnt be possible without you and I know that 420 Magazine will be a stronger place visually in 2018 because of it. Please continue to take ownership over the spirit and intent of this thread. I will continue to post tips, tricks, how-to's, and other things like gear discussions. Please do the same.

Username:

bobrown14 - Aka Bob...

Grow method and strains:

Organic soil no-til coots mix with AutoPot XL automated watering system.

Camera, Lenses and Gear:

Just bought a Nikon D3400 DSLR - I have several lens that I use. I use both automatic and manual and semi-manual settings depending on my mood and lens.

The lens I like for indoor plant photography (lately) has been my kit 18-55MM auto focus Nikor lens.

AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens

I also use the other kit lens with a longer focal point:

AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED - this lens I usually mount to a tripod or a monopod for indoor photos. It takes excellent flower pics

I also have another lens for all around shooting:

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens - can take some pretty good close up with this one. But this lens is a good all around lens. I could probably mount this one and leave it on. Very versatile. This lens is AUTO and also has a MANUAL switch so I can focus the old fashioned way.. which I like very much.

Another "trick" lens I'm still trying to figure out.. it doesn't take the best pics yet or I'm not able to bring out the best with it. I'm @ keep 1 throw out 20 maybe. Too much work for me, but outdoors up close its amazing. Also good for a wide angle "family pic" as well. This is really a novelty lens for me for playing around and trying to be creative. For closeups I can get about an inch away from my subject and get 1:1 ratio.. When I do that I usually end up with trichomes on the lens. Lighting tho is key and difficult up close since the lens will block a lot of the light and a hand held flash with diffusion is almost a requirement indoors up close. Very very cool lens for outdoor up close pics where lighting is best and wide angle too.

Opteka 15mm f/4 LD UNC AL 1:1 Macro Manual Focus Full Frame Wide Angle Lens

Experience level and photography background:

I went to art school for my 1st year in college @ University of the Arts in Philly and studied the foundation in arts program everyone that goes there has to take to move on to their specialty. I moved on to Engineering. Learning to paint, draw, sculpture, 2D & 3D design, really opened my eyes to what is around me... all aspects of life. I still paint with my wife, creative gardening, build stuff all the time... art training has given me the ability to really "see" what's around us and even sometimes see potential in what isn't there but what can be. I didn't take photography classes, no time. But back then I was taking a lot of 35mm pics in black and white film.. learned pretty quick to try and get the best pic I could. I'm spoiled now in comparison.

What is your style? (portrait, journal, macro, outdoor, instructional, various)

I like to take outdoor nature pictures and of course macro flower pics. My wife does too... also love to take family pics of our 2 Shar-Pei dogs.

I don't really have a favorite .. but I guess I end up taking more outdoor pictures in general. Macro is fun but I'm not the best at it. Still learning.

Favourite lens or type of shot:

18-55mm kit lens taking macro shots...

If you could give 1 tip for new photographers:

Carry your camera everywhere you go, and use it often.

Please share 1 of you favorite photos and explain why it works so well for you. What equipment did you use?

This was taken I think with my 35mm lens set to auto and using the "sports" mode where I take a picture and hold the shutter release button and it takes a bunch of pics until I let the button go... fast motion photography basically. This pic I got "the look" of our pup Ruby going into her "zumi" mode. See the eyes ... very very difficult to capture that. Zumi is a dog thing where pups just go crazy and start running around playing for no apparent reason... I guess I call it happiness. We were at a dog park the first time, the dog was just left off leash and wanted to play.

DSC_0006_3_3.JPG

One of my favorite places on earth - Cottage 420 - Scooby rock tribute to an old friend. This rock reminds me of my buddy laying down hanging out by the lake. I get tears viewing this pic. Probably using the 35mm lens here.

DSC_0105_2_2.JPG

Sunrise at the lake... I like this one cause my wife took it!

Rare I get up this early... it's probably 4am = pretty far north into Canada.

DSC_0066_2_2.JPG

and this on too!

DSC_007449.JPG

Please share 1 technique you use in a step by step how-to.

Pretty much how I take pictures is get my camera out and look for something I see interesting and take a bunch of pics from different angles and sometimes different lighting. Sort it out later. I depend on my "eye" and not so much equipment.

Talk about a piece of your equipment you can’t live without.

Ears and eyes...

Welcome!

Wow, very cool Bob, love the photos you shared too. We really do have an amazing group of people from all backgrounds. Connected through our love of cannabis and taking photos. That cottage picture of the rock has a mood to it, very haunting, nicely done.

Thats a great tip about trying different angles or different light sources. It really is incredible how different light plays with different surfaces or textures. My best stuff is from mixing up angles and going “oh wow I didnt see that”. If I am lucky I will see it in camera and nurture the beat out of that angle.

Another great tip in there, take your camera with you wherever you go, never know when that opportunity will come. I missed an incredible shot of a frozen river and steam and sunset a few weeks back. Camera was at home. But you miss 100% of the shots you dont take.

Very glad you made it Bob, we are stronger because of it

P1160800.JPG

So these fellas are my studio buddies,, the tall one is 'dutty', the the short one is 'dutty too', not 'dutty' also,, 'dutty too', is his name,,

The old one, liplocked on the pipe, is me

They are a big help out here in my studio, where my little labooratoory/indoor garden is located

This thread is fun,, cheers and reps for it, iffin I remember

I have a photography background, and have spent many an hour in the dark dark of a darkroom, which is how dark ones flower room should be btw.

I have none of my old gear left and play with a twelve year old, but groovy, Panasonic dslr, one of the first, so i no longer strive for sharpness in my photos, and to be honest, do not take photos much anymore except in my labooratoory.

Cheers for the thread,

inspirational friend,

thanks

Oh ya, a tip,,,

Learn the inverse square law,, it is useful for photography as well as in the grow room,, bonus,,

P1160800.JPG

So these fellas are my studio buddies,, the tall one is 'dutty', the the short one is 'dutty too', not 'dutty' also,, 'dutty too', is his name,,

The old one, liplocked on the pipe, is me

They are a big help out here in my studio, where my little labooratoory/indoor garden is located

This thread is fun,, cheers and reps for it, iffin I remember

I have a photography background, and have spent many an hour in the dark dark of a darkroom, which is how dark ones flower room should be btw.

I have none of my old gear left and play with a twelve year old, but groovy, Panasonic dslr, one of the first, so i no longer strive for sharpness in my photos, and to be honest, do not take photos much anymore except in my labooratoory.

Cheers for the thread,

inspirational friend,

thanks

Oh ya, a tip,,,

Learn the inverse square law,, it is useful for photography as well as in the grow room,, bonus,,

Wow great stuff! Love the creativity. We could have some fun together in a room full of toys lol. My very first point and shoot was a Canon Elph, took some great photos, and I created a stop motion video with green army men and a chinese sand box.

Picture the intro to Metallicas One, then the green army men start to appear from under the sand, zooming out to see a squad, a jeep rolls through the screen with more army men jumping out, jeep sounds and gunfire added. Then a Monty Python bit starts, holy hand grenade, a war breaks out. It was pretty epic, 2 minutes long, and pretty funny if I do say so myself. That was almost 15-20 years ago now.

I really am a child when I have a camera lol.

Looking forward to how this thread shakes out. I'm just on my phone now but if I'm feeling up to it I'll sit down at the PC tonight and put together my basic bio. I figured at a minimum I'd get subbed up now.

Before I get to the comments, responses and educational portion of my post allow me to preface by saying I have a sense of humor, but that can be lost on the inter webs... Also, let me mention I want to help everybody including myself learn and grow therefore I humbly admit although i do have quite a base of knowledge to draw from I don't know everything and know I still have much to learn, not only as a photographer but as citizen of earth as well. I quote Rufus, "Be Excellent to Each Other!"

Turn up the light bro

The literal translation of Photography is, "Drawing with Light." Without subtle shadows and darks photos would just be white squares. Variance in light allows us to perceive tones, shades, & colors. The dominant "effect" in this picture is vignetting. That is what makes the outside of the image dark and the subject light. Also, keep in mind my monitor is not calibrated that same as yours so you may not be seeing the image the same way I do on my computer, phone, tablet, etc.

Can I be a noob? First I would cut back on the nitrogen because that plant is very dark green. Then I'd probably move the fan out of the background and set a slower shutter speed. Or just take the shot and goof around with it in PS to increase the exposure, erase the fan, mess with the contrast, and bump the vibrancy. Is that cheating? :cheesygrinsmiley:

The nitrogen issues has been mentioned to me before, but I'll honestly tell you this, if my plants aren't happy they've got a funny way of showing it. The fan I left in on purpose and placed it off center in the corner intentionally, stylistic choice. Not sure why you'd set a longer exposure unless you're leaning toward the more light option Tunkers mentioned. Because this shot was handheld I would adjust the aperture instead. Opening up 1 or 2/3 stop (aperture) would increase the lighting, and lessen the depth of field. The lighting is an easy fix in post. Basic photo processing is key any photography, without it pictures are flat and flimsy. I like sharp and crisp images.

Photoshop is not cheating and neither is light room or any other software system you may use. I can usually tell when people go to far with their processing, it's a fine line. I want my images to look realistic not fantasy like, I can get crazy with photoshop and blow the yellows out and turn the plant blue but that's not realistic although it would prolly look pretty cool!

Wasn't my answer good enough for you rider?

Nothing wrong with that answer, but a little more explanation could be helpful. All good!

Hey Agemon, I hope you know I meant no disrespect. I'm still not sure where you were going with your question to the noobz about the framing of your photo prior to the shot. I'm a crappy photographer with just an iPhone, so my fix is in the mix. I can shoot in raw format with an app, and between PS and LR can end up with a decent photo but here I rarely take the time to do anything but some rough white balancing to deal with HPS and 3500K LED lighting.

It's cool man, my question and the specific photograph was to get people thinking about composition and making small, subtle adjustments in order to make their pictures better. There's a great app called SnapSeed for iPhone. It could really help you out. It's not too expensive and has a lot of cool tools. I've found that great photographs usually take a lot of work. Rarely are they birthed from the camera ready for presentation (sarcasm)...

edit: Can I enter your photo that I PSed in shot of the month? I think it turned out pretty nice! LOL, just kidding.

That's funny!!!! And... technically if you change the photo more than 10% (how do you quantify that?) then it's yours. A little copyright law for you as well!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alright Boys and Girls now for the lesson.

Here is the raw image from the camera, no editing.

Unedited.jpg

This second image is cropped.

Cropped8.jpg

Here is the third image with the contrast adjusted.

Contrast.jpg

Now the next step, adjusting the highlights and whites.

Highlights_Whites.jpg

Now the Blacks and the Shadows.

Shadows_Blacks.jpg

Now one using a few final adjustments.

Final_3_Adjustments.jpg

And now the Final Composition.

Final_Copy.jpg

This post is getting lengthy and I'm sorry for taking up so much space. That being said, I was hoping somebody would point out some basic compositional changes. Aside from the fan (again, artistic latitude) I was hoping for mention of the leaf tips going straight out of frame. There are compositional elements that travel together across all two dimensional forms of art. They may not always be called the same however. For instance, painters use The Golden Triangle when they compose, but remember they are sketching or drawing before they are painting. As photographers we don't always get the perfect subject, facing just the right way, etc. As photographers we employ the Rule of Thirds and a few other elements to help us create the perfect composition.

These Five Basic Rules of a Photographic Composition are in no particular order.

1. Rule of Thirds
2. Horizontal or Vertical
3. Leading Line
4. Repetition of Form
5. Balance.

I've always believed if you can utilize at least 3 of them in a picture you're headed in the right direction.

Question: In the final photograph can you identify any or all of the 5 techniques listed above?

One needs to learn the rules so one can learn how to break them

...It's cool man, my question and the specific photograph was to get people thinking about composition and making small, subtle adjustments in order to make their pictures better. There's a great app called SnapSeed for iPhone. It could really help you out. It's not too expensive and has a lot of cool tools. I've found that great photographs usually take a lot of work. Rarely are they birthed from the camera ready for presentation (sarcasm)...

Thanks Agemon for this. I use the Nikon software to transfer images from the SD card to laptop and I knew there was an editing module but I hadn't used it more than just playing around. Now I see a big hole in my post production efforts.

Gaps are always filled.

:high-five: :bongrip:

Username: DobeWan

Grow method and strains: I grow in tents, in coco under LEDs. My journal breaks out more detail for the curious.

Camera, Lenses and Gear: I used an old Canon EOS Rebel XS. It's about a 10 year old camera but is still very capable. I used to use a telephoto for long shots, but now I just have the 18-55mm kit lens and the 50mm "nifty fifty". I'd love to have more, but priorities. Later in life I'm sure.

Experience level and photography background: No formal training or experience. I got a Sony point and shoot back in 2001 with few manual settings and started to learn a little about lighting. Got a better point years later with tons of manual settings and enjoyed it. Graduated to the DSLR around 2010. I used to take a lot of concert and nature photos when my then-girlfriend and I were out and about. Got dogs and started in on portraits. Most of my photography these days is plants and kids.

I also have lots of old and not a lot of recent experience in Photoshop. In the early days I did web design and development, and taught myself how to do both. Part of that was learning how to do what I needed in Photoshop. These days (as in, in the last few days since I installed CC 2017) I just use it for touch ups.

What is your style? (portrait, journal, macro, outdoor, instructional, various): Most of what I shoot now is for my journal.

Favourite lens or type of shot: I like the 50mm and portrait shots.

If you could give 1 tip for new photographers: Read up on lighting and experiment with it. I'll really help you understand how some shots look the way they do. Also pick a subject you're interested in to practice with. For me, my dogs taught me a ton about photography.

I honestly don't have good 420 photography... yet. My photography to this point was less about taking a great shot, and more about having a progress marker, so it was almost always done on my iPhone without any care. I'm tempted to post up some dog pics, but they can be reverse image searched to find out who I am IRL and I would like to avoid that. My good recent pics are all family photos - once you have kids, your photography becomes all about the kids. So... good photography to come I guess?

I honestly don't have good 420 photography... yet. My photography to this point was less about taking a great shot, and more about having a progress marker, so it was almost always done on my iPhone without any care. I'm tempted to post up some dog pics, but they can be reverse image searched to find out who I am IRL and I would like to avoid that. My good recent pics are all family photos - once you have kids, your photography becomes all about the kids. So... good photography to come I guess?

You have no pictures in your journal? Surely there's some criteria you have that drives your choices for which photos you share with your subscribers and visitors. I think that's part of what UA is hoping for here, what drives our personal choices. If you have no criteria that you're acknowledging to yourself this might be a good time to take a closer look.

It's photos that draw the crowds to the journals. Share some of yours that made you feel satisfied with the post. :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

I suddenly realized I have an indespensible piece of equipment I use without fail in two of my grow spaces.

IMG_79667.JPG

I don't own a PC, and I have yet to invest in an app for the iPhone, something I'm now rethinking. :cheesygrinsmiley: This is my lens for shots taken in the tents with pink lighting. I slip it over the iPhone lens, point and shoot.

I'm fascinated reading. I'm learning a lot already, but my strongest awareness is how natural my talent with the camera is. You have no idea how many steller shots I've posted were shot blindly - I mean completely blind, where the camera went in that general direction and I hit the button with absolute faith that I had it. To review the shot and find it exceeded my expectations.

I work primarily by faith and impulse. My artistic nature takes over in editing, which is done with blinding speed. I have lots to get done in a day. :laughtwo:

Playing with you guys is already great fun. I love learning. :battingeyelashes:

You have no pictures in your journal? Surely there's some criteria you have that drives your choices for which photos you share with your subscribers and visitors. I think that's part of what UA is hoping for here, what drives our personal choices. If you have no criteria that you're acknowledging to yourself this might be a good time to take a closer look.

It's photos that draw the crowds to the journals. Share some of yours that made you feel satisfied with the post. :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:
Clearly showing what I'm describing is really my only criterion at this point. If I get a blurry shot of something I want to show, I often don't go back and get a better shot. Whereas if I'm taking a photo to have a nice photo I'm trying to nail the lighting, doing post work to get the colour and framing right, etc. - in my journal, it's all about function. Previously, for example, I didn't bother to use a grey card and get the colours right because that wasn't the point! But I have the ability to take far better shots, so I don't consider the ones in my journal to be great examples of photography, more functional pieces to get across where I am in my journal.

Urb's journal and the photography talk has inspired me to treat things a little differently. I guess I'm not satisfied with ANY of my old photos knowing I can do much better.

...:ciao:...Evenin' all...thanks for the link Urb!...I'll forego the bio for now...wanna sit in and learn some techniques...I just use a small Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX3...pretty much point and shoot, but when you go into the menu for all the different modes, there are numerous settings to play with...although I do sometimes, its usually just playing with flash and different modes...interestingly enough this thread go me checking a little...seems I have a pretty simple white balance adjustment in macro mode...sunshine...inside...lights on inside...that type of thing...will have to check that out...
...also had bought a clip on 3 in 1 lens for my galaxy phone...was most interested in the macro lens and was just getting used to it when the phone went to Samsung Heaven...sighs...I suspect I will be getting some sort of phone in the spring...an Iphone hand me down from my sister...
...So I'm gonna sit back fer' the next little while...enjoy some sun and Pacifico and hopefully learn some skillz from you fellas!...the skill set in the photo's in the different contests demands it...:rofl:...cheerz...:popcorn:...h00k...:hookah:

P1170092.JPG

Ok, last one for a bit,, so pleased to share these pics with y'all, I had a blast taking them,, even though the boys are so demanding,, sheesh

I guess my primary focus,, ha, get it????,, my primary focus with my camera these days is having fun,,

If a photo is taken and never looked at again, was it really ever even taken???

Oh my...

Back
Top Bottom