Exploring the Microscopic World of Trichome Photography

Who doesn't love a great trichome picture?

I certainly do but it can be difficult to get a decent picture at times.

Many folks like me, started with a simple, inexpensive jewelers loupe.

Good in a pinch but not necessarily easy to work with.

I have since moved onto using a digital microscope and app. This is mostly because I'm getting older and my eyesight isn't what it one was, I also found it extremely difficult to get anything approaching a clear picture while using a camera phone and a loupe.

We know the importance of being able to see when our harvest is ready, we've worked for months to get to this moment and want the best possible outcome for all the work we put into our grows.

Sometimes we need to stop and appreciate just how beautiful and complex our favorite plant is. What better way than through exploring the hidden world of trichomes through microscopic photography?

This is a space to share our photos, techniques and equipment used for trichome photography. This is truly a "the more, the merrier" community thread.

I'd love to see as many growers as possible here, sharing their photos and giving tips and tricks to get the best out of our equipment, whether it be an expensive professional camera setup or a simple and cost effective digital microscope and camera phone.

I realize that not everyone can afford a pro level setup. I know that I can't.

That isn't what this thread is about. It's about getting the best outcome from what we can afford. All types of equipment are welcome.

Please remember to leave important info like lighting (color temp, wattage etc), settings and equipment brands and types and while your at it, tell us about your photo subject as well.

Please add an Amazon link to your equipment if possible. This will help people new to microscopic photography decide what level and type of equipment they are looking for.

If you happen to see any great microscopic trichome photos around the forum, please mention this thread.

Everybody is invited to share and learn!

Since I'm already here, I'll start.

These are a few pics from my most recent harvest.

Strain: Wizard Auto

Equipment: 2017 Motorola Camera Phone with Takmly Digital Bluetooth Microscope

Lighting: Takmly Microscope LED, Supplemental Overhead Lighting 3000k

Background: None

Additional Equipment: Tripod, Duct Tape

When I first started out my photos really lacked in quality and clarity. They are getting better but I still have a long way to where I want to be.

The additional tripod really helped me, I wouldn't try to take a shot without it again. I got mine from a family member for free.

I tried to find a link to my microscope but it wasn't listed on Amazon any longer. I bought it about three years ago.

Here is a link for the closest model that I could find. There are many similar models of similar quality and price.

This is what my cheapo setup looks like.

I'm excitedly waiting on your posts!

I did these with a macro lens, several shots at different focus points, then "stacked" them into one photo.

I used a tripod, and a remote shutter release to reduce camera shake.

The lighting was near a window and a small LED flashlight pointed at the bud.

I will be doing more in the next few days, adding an additional close up ring to the lens.

My Macro lens is a Reinke, and I'm using a Nikon D7100 DSLR.

I love this stuff!
Image_2023-08-08 19_08_40_343.jpeg
Image_2023-08-08 19_05_03_151.jpeg
Image_2023-08-08 19_09_58_557.jpeg
Image_2023-08-08 19_09_20_305.jpeg
Image_2023-11-14 09_22_40_475.jpeg
IMG_2176.jpeg

Thats what im worried about buying a cheap microscope thats useless, I've been there before.
Wonder what these 2 would be like they are a bit more expensive than the cheaper ones .
Any advice from the more experienced photographers would be appreciated
@Lady Cannafan 😊

I enjoy shooting close-ups. But my cameras sucks. I bought a scope but it wasn't much better. But I tried, and I enjoyed myself. Then I rewarded myself with a phatty

2023_05_31_13_26_45_018.jpg

2023_02_16_15_32_54_184.jpg

2023_01_19_10_24_08_222.jpg

2023_01_19_10_22_43_505.jpg

2022_11_23_16_47_14_533.jpg

Thats what im worried about buying a cheap microscope thats useless, I've been there before.
Wonder what these 2 would be like they are a bit more expensive than the cheaper ones .
Any advice from the more experienced photographers would be appreciated
@Lady Cannafan 😊

Mine was $20 3 years ago and takes pretty good pics , app is easy and uploads straight to your iPhone.
1706163415459.jpeg

Hey Growmies,

Thanks for the invite, Rob! :ciao: I'm tagging @gwhunran as well – he does awesome trichome photography. I think also @Emilya Green.

All of these photos are from my Redmi Note 10 Pro phone w/ awesome macro lens. I bought the phone for its camera ;). I also sometimes use my Celestron 5 MP digital microscope (tried a cheaper one and it was very poor quality in comparison).

All are from my Hawaii outdoor greenhouse grow.

Stark white trichomes of Double Black Label CBG. I grew and cloned one pheno, but unfortunately she was semi-autoflowering, so I gave up.
1706159738258.png

Another shot of the DBL CBG. I think the inset was from the Celestron microscope.
1706160848608.png

This is my legacy CBG pheno, from a Colorado breeder. She comes in around 12% CBG, with no measurable THC or CBD. Super resistant to all bud rot and leaf mold. The resin isn't sticky... it's sort of powdery.
1706160106673.png

Another shot of my legacy CBG pheno. March '23.
1706165244757.png

My legacy CBG pheno. False color image, June '23.
1706167917850.png

"Three calyxes" (false color). Humboldt Dream, 2022.
three_calyxes2.jpg

Green Mountain Grape, purple bud pheno. March '23. She suffered a lot from bud rot. I gave up on this strain.
1706164721615.png

Blueberry. April '23.
1706166536705.png

HI-BISCUS. Impressive with high resin production, strong odor at harvest, and zero bud rot. April '23.
1706166587778.png

HI-BISCUS at harvest. May '23.
1706167257595.png

Blueberry. June '23.
1706167785892.png

:ciao:

@420 asked me to share. I’d appreciate and tips or feedback. As you can see, I’m a work in progress. Lol

My macro camera cost me this Australian. I think carcass recommended it.

IMG_2709.jpeg

Here’s my last glitter squiz

Luna Bee aka Mimosa X Orange Punch
Barney’s seed from Sponsors Barney’s Farm
Flip Age: 60 Days
Days in Flower: 58

IMG_2711.png
IMG_2710.png
IMG_2712.png
IMG_2713.png

I love the challenge of getting good trichome shots. My tripod can't get in there because it is a big bulky thing and my camera is heavy to heavy for a mini tripod, so my shots are hand held.

This can be a challenge for focus and stability as I am using an old Tamron SP 90mm F2/8 Di MACRO 1:1 lens which requires manual focus because the auto focus mechanism is sticky.

Like @Lady Cannafan I shoot with a Nikon D7100.

I can't use a loupe and I hate them. I would imagine with a microscope you'd have to cut bits off to look at?

My photography equipment is all old and second hand. It has served me well. To have bought it new would cost me in total more than my car!

My tips are not to overexpose the trichomes so that they look like flat white squiggles. Also, zooming in too close on a phone camera will do this too.

I always set my light balance to auto when editing the pics in Lightroom, otherwise the colour is way off.

I shoot in RAW (an option which most phones have in the pro section), so it is necessary to post edit. If you shoot in Jpeg, the camera does the editing for you. RAW enables the capture of more data in the image.

I love the challenge of getting good trichome shots. My tripod can't get in there because it is a big bulky thing and my camera is heavy to heavy for a mini tripod, so my shots are hand held.

This can be a challenge for focus and stability as I am using an old Tamron SP 90mm F2/8 Di MACRO 1:1 lens which requires manual focus because the auto focus mechanism is sticky.

Like @Lady Cannafan I shoot with a Nikon D7100.

I can't use a loupe and I hate them. I would imagine with a microscope you'd have to cut bits off to look at?

My photography equipment is all old and second hand. It has served me well. To have bought it new would cost me in total more than my car!

My tips are not to overexpose the trichomes so that they look like flat white squiggles. Also, zooming in too close on a phone camera will do this too.

I always set my light balance to auto when editing the pics in Lightroom, otherwise the colour is way off.

I shoot in RAW (an option which most phones have in the pro section), so it is necessary to post edit. If you shoot in Jpeg, the camera does the editing for you. RAW enables the capture of more data in the image.
Hi Carmen. It's nice to see another D7100 user, I actually love this camera so much that I've acquired three of them. 😝
I always shoot RAW photos as well. Much more editing power than a jpeg.

I just dug out another macro helper I bought last year. I used it for extreme close ups of outdoor things.
This just clips onto your camera lens.
I really like this much better than trying to add extension tubes or close up lens kits.

I am going to be putting it into use for some macros of trichomes today.

1706179549437.png

Back
Top Bottom