The First Attempt Grow Journal 2020

Marse

This is my first time trying to grow & obviously my first grow journal! It's been a rough ride to start, here to show the troubles of a first attempt and just maybe....hopefully a recovery! I've been helped by many people here from the beginning, thought it would be good to keep you all updated on my grow!

SOIL GROW (as of June 11th 2020)

Strain -
Seed find in bag from Death Bubba. (5 years + ago)
# of Plants - 1 (Learning and refining my skills)
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative
Bucket Size - 13.6L(3.6gallon)
Lights - (1) Mars Hydro TS600
Nutrients - Root Farm Base 1 + Base 2 All purpose
Medium - ProMix Organic Vegetable & Herb Mix
PPM - Unknown
PH - 6.5 (ish) use liquid test kit
RH - 40% to 60%
Room Temperature - 23c (73.4f) - 27c (80.6f)
Tent Square Footage - 1.75' x 3' x 5'
Pests - None Known

The start of my first roller coaster journey definitely came with some rough and nerve wracking moments but I am sure that's only the tip of the iceberg ! I've always been interested in this aspect of marijuana, being able to smoke something I can say I spent my personal time in growing from beginning to end and not having to rely on someone else at all or at least less often than I am now has been a goal in my mind for a while but only recently have been able to start jumping into it.

Day 1

Excited me had 11 Death Bubba seeds from a bag of weed I purchased at least 5 years (+) ago. Kept them all this time in hopes that one day I could try my butt at getting them germinated and growing. Had a friend tell me I could just soak them in water for 24 hours and plant straight into the dirt...(if only I had checked myself beforehand) Which is what I did, sadly the dirt I purchased from my local grocery store was infested with gnats and being that I am horrible with watering and over water way to much I made the perfect breeding ground for them and lost 9 of my seeds. Vanished, never to be seen again! One of them is the one I have now, slowly growing but its a good way to get my hand on the many issues I have but most new growers have it seems. The other I left the seed shell on a couple days too long thinking it was going to come off on its own, it did not and when I did it was already dead.

Day 1 - Before all the back ordered equipment finally showed up!

Constantly over watered plants. I've gotten a lot of great advice for this, still trying to get a hold of my water issues!! Probably being stuck at home on lock down is NOT helping it. ( Help Section Post - Over watered? )

Slightly Prettier Over Watered Picture...if they exist lol (June 4th 2020)

I was too worried about over watering that I went to the opposite direction.

Next issue that came up was, root-bound! I should of up-potted it sooner but I didn't consider it needed it with its size, I was corrected! Up-Potted to 13.6L (3.6gallon).

This is my girl as of June 11th, she's still small but with all the abuse I've dished out she's still alive! As I said trying to get a hold on my issues before investing in proper seeds. I also have 2x Cookies and Cream & 2x Pink Gas bag seeds to play with. Does this little girl still have a chance??

A month into this grow I was finally able to get the equipment I had ordered! I'm also overly organized :oops:

Fusion Hut 1.75x3x5 and my little shelf with everything I might need and space for more!

Mars Hydro Ts600

Preferred temps & humidity, light distances for my LED. Also calendar to keep track of my feedings!

6 hour Temp and humidity check done daily. Just two fans at the moment, keeping track for future requirements.

That's all the updates we have for now, I will keep posting here weekly with updates and new pictures. Input, advice or just a Hello is always appreciated! New to the community but already can tell this is an amazing & welcoming place. The replies to issues and damn quick replies sometimes makes me think I shall be here for a long time. Until the next update!

Yeah I do remember enjoying it quite a lot, I have only found it a handful of times since back then. Did find it funny on that last bit about growing...

" Growing this plant is as cautionary as using it. Beginners beware because this is a finicky plant that might be best left in the hands of someone with lots of experience. It flowers best indoors and must be treated with care and love to get the kind of yield you’re hoping for. If you have years of experience under your belt and want a night of incredible sleep, Death Bubba is a great choice. A tasty flavor profile and tremendous effects make this strain a favorite of many. "

Ooops lol

Congrats on your lone survivor! Tagging along to watch its journey. I would recommend a wifi thermostat to track your temps and humidity. Don't give yourself anxiety over growing and having a successful harvest. Then again, tracking data brings joy to many people! Lol

Watering is a tough cycle to learn. I'm on my second season and still getting the hang of it. I've been fighting overwatering a few times this year.

Your organization is very nice. I think your plant is doing well and definitely has a chance after a rough start. Have you started feeding nutrients yet? I’m noticing the yellowing of the leaf tips on the lower leaves.

I did a little while back but only at 25% dose because the soil has some nutrients as well. I did mix up a full strength batch for the next feedings. The one tomorrow is just a water feed, I did not know that in soil you needed to rotate between nutes & water. Since I just up-potted I'm doing the feeding no lower than 3-4 inches so the roots stretch out.

The nutrients I'm using are Root Farms product's, only thing available right now in my city considering Canadian Tire is one of the only shops open(was).

Part 1 - N(4%), Soluble Potash(1%), Cal(5.5%)
Part 2 - N(2%), Soluble Potash(7%), Phosphate(3%), , Mag(1.7%), Sulphur(2.3%)

Try doing a full drench and don't water again until right before they start drooping. That will encourage the roots to seek water lower and essentially growing. Only watering the top few inches is keeping them comfortable and not growing to seek water.

Do have a question for all of you out there! To top or not to top a indica dominant strain? Spent a good chunk of the night reading up on topping and how to do it but I came across a few conflicting responses. Some say it ruins the main cola since they tend to be shorter and bushier compared to a sativa, that it is best to LST them and keep that main thicker stem. So again, to top or not to top an indica dominant strain?

I think topping is the way to go. This year is the first time for me trying it and it is already showing dividends. I will be topping again when I do my final transplant on some of the plants. I will also be incorporating super cropping and LST on some. I think they all have their benefits. From my observation, some varieties definitely grow differently and respond differently. It will take us time and experience to understand those differences and build on our techniques. Trust your gut.

Back
Top Bottom