The Quadsquad Thread: A Community For Quadlining

Please pardon the intrusion, maybe you and/or your followers might be interested :cheer:

If so, please apply in the comparative grow thread, as I won't be responding to replies here :thanks:

:Namaste:

This is an interesting approach and I want to try it with clones. I'm about 10 pages in and haven't seen it addressed. So.....what are the nuances when doing this with alternating nodes vs seedlings? Anything different need to be done?

Howdy Folks !
I am relatively new to growing and new to this forums. Thus is a super thread!
I am wondering if alternative nodes to top at have been explored..
Like say top the third and leave one and two,
Or top the fourth and leave 2 and 3?

I imagine the plant would have more time to veg out the new side shoots,
but perhaps the plat is more susceptible to shock if done that way?

Howdy Folks !
I am relatively new to growing and new to this forums. Thus is a super thread!
I am wondering if alternative nodes to top at have been explored..
Like say top the third and leave one and two,
Or top the fourth and leave 2 and 3?

I imagine the plant would have more time to veg out the new side shoots,
but perhaps the plat is more susceptible to shock if done that way?
The first quad lines I did, I initially intended to 'flux' them but only after topping off the 4th node did I think to quad line, so I left the 2nd and 3rd on to train those out. My last one I topped off the 5th node and grew out the 3rd and 4th nodes and because the 2nd node only grew one side I left that to grow out too, so that plant was really a quinline.

The quadlines that I have done, I have grown out horizontally to keep the canopy low for stealth purposes. So for me, whatever nodes I grow out I try to train them to stay at the same horizontal level.

I think there can be some plant shock, but what I like about quad lining is that I only need to make one single topping and then LST and/or supercrop.

The first quad lines I did, I initially intended to 'flux' them but only after topping off the 4th node did I think to quad line, so I left the 2nd and 3rd on to train those out. My last one I topped off the 5th node and grew out the 3rd and 4th nodes and because the 2nd node only grew one side I left that to grow out too, so that plant was really a quinline.

The quadlines that I have done, I have grown out horizontally to keep the canopy low for stealth purposes. So for me, whatever nodes I grow out I try to train them to stay at the same horizontal level.

I think there can be some plant shock, but what I like about quad lining is that I only need to make one single topping and then LST and/or supercrop.
This is an interesting technique I will try my next grow. How do you keep the neighbors from smelling your grow and calling the cops?

This is an interesting technique I will try my next grow. How do you keep the neighbors from smelling your grow and calling the cops?
That is just one of those unknowns. However, my initial harvests were quite low, so as my neighbours have stayed the same it amounted to testing the waters. So now I guess it means it is either under the radar, maybe they don't smell it or if they do it isn't apparent what it is, or maybe it isn't an issue for them. I'd like to think that a lot of civilised people would view it as little different from any herb or vegetable grown in the garden, and if it helps people's wellbeing who choose it then all good.
But of course it is still a concern, last year I got 23oz from 2 photos and an auto, it was more than I had expected and surprisingly it all seemed to go unnoticed, so this year I did the same feeling a little more 'comfortable'. But we only get one life!

That is just one of those unknowns. However, my initial harvests were quite low, so as my neighbours have stayed the same it amounted to testing the waters. So now I guess it means it is either under the radar, maybe they don't smell it or if they do it isn't apparent what it is, or maybe it isn't an issue for them. I'd like to think that a lot of civilised people would view it as little different from any herb or vegetable grown in the garden, and if it helps people's wellbeing who choose it then all good.
But of course it is still a concern, last year I got 23oz from 2 photos and an auto, it was more than I had expected and surprisingly it all seemed to go unnoticed, so this year I did the same feeling a little more 'comfortable'. But we only get one life!
Very true my friend! Live that life big now I say! The neighbor on one side is cool but the other side neighbors are not so much. We’ve pissed them off thru the years with firing our weapons “we have a shooting range on our property “, that I think if they got wind (no pun intended) of my plants I’m in serious trouble.

Thanks Stunger,
I might try topping above the fourth on my next grow then. Have you or any one else you know of experienced positive results with quadlining shorter flowering autos as well?

Thanks Stunger,
I might try topping above the fourth on my next grow then. Have you or any one else you know of experienced positive results with quadlining shorter flowering autos as well?
Personally I have only LST'd an auto. However some folk have developed their skills to top autos, here's a post by @Apoc who has real experience here.

I am about to quad these 4 different autos. I hope someone can help me with something. These are all in 2 gallon smart pots, I am going to take them up to final 3 gallon final size smart pots For my 3x3 tent. They are all close to popping the 6th node. Should I start the quad and let them heal before I repot them or the reverse? What exact order do you do it? Also the circled leaves on my runt Green Crack, it looked like maybe a calcium deficiency so I added more Calmag and the newer growth seems mostly clear. Do you think?
F401BC3D-6D72-4C50-A4AE-2F911A1BD3F8.jpeg
Thanks!

Should I start the quad and let them heal before I repot them or the reverse? What exact order do you do it?
I have done both ways, i.e. I have started the Quadline training in an intermediate pot and then transplanted to the 'final' pot, and I have also transplanted the seedling into the final pot in preparation for Quadline training.

My Quadlined plants have got quite big (a canopy 3.5 - 4.5 feet wide) so if I start quadlining in an intermediate pot then I would up pot to the final pot before the training gets too involved while the plant is still small enough manage.

I have done both ways, i.e. I have started the Quadline training in an intermediate pot and then transplanted to the 'final' pot, and I have also transplanted the seedling into the final pot in preparation for Quadline training.

My Quadlined plants have got quite big (a canopy 3.5 - 4.5 feet wide) so if I start quadlining in an intermediate pot then I would up pot to the final pot before the training gets too involved while the plant is still small enough manage.
Thanks! I’ll be transplanting them after they heal a little bit. I went ahead and took the tops and 1st and 2nd nodes on the NL and BB. I’ll do the others when they are ready.

998B7D6E-D82B-499D-A0FD-1CA3FCDDD028.jpeg

9FF4F38A-C4E9-435E-8DDF-B1A433F13295.jpeg

56403AA2-3009-41EC-AF11-53C315F89891.jpeg

6C1C3E27-6DC4-479D-A81B-0E381BA88801.jpeg

Hey DeeBoy, you still have some time yet to comfortably up pot.

The 4 growth shoots have to grow out a bit before you can gently start training them out horizontally, and even once you do, you can still up pot reasonably easily by undoing the training and carrying out the up potting, and then re-applying the training wires/strings.

But once the plant's growth starts to take off, more and more training wires/strings need to be added which makes it more challenging but not impossible to up pot.

Perhaps bear in mind that when a plant is heavily trained there can be considerable tension held within its structure so an accidental 'bump' can result in a stem split or limb breakage, so it is often good to have some sort of tape close by for emergency repair (I use electrical tape).

Hey DeeBoy, you still have some time yet to comfortably up pot.

The 4 growth shoots have to grow out a bit before you can gently start training them out horizontally, and even once you do, you can still up pot reasonably easily by undoing the training and carrying out the up potting, and then re-applying the training wires/strings.

But once the plant's growth starts to take off, more and more training wires/strings need to be added which makes it more challenging but not impossible to up pot.

Perhaps bear in mind that when a plant is heavily trained there can be considerable tension held within its structure so an accidental 'bump' can result in a stem split or limb breakage, so it is often good to have some sort of tape close by for emergency repair (I use electrical tape).
Thank you again! I appreciate your feedback.

Thank you again! I appreciate your feedback.
Topped and removed 1st & 2nd nodes from my remaining 2 plants, Amnesia & the semi-sickly Green Crack...
AM W3 1.JPG
AM W3 2.JPG
GC W3 1.JPG
GC W3 2.JPG

I have some of those same spots on one of my plants. Probably a calcium deficiency, so I added more of that and it seems to have resolved the issue on the newer growth. I don't think the original damaged leaves get repaired but, as long as the new growth doesn't show a continuation of the issue, it should be resolved.

Back
Top Bottom