This years crop on the west coast

Gee

compared to last year, this years crop is much more airy. The buds are not as compact and i used the same growing conditions. last year all plants had rock hard popcorn buds. this year the buds are not firm.

Could the month long overcast and bad air from the smoke have affected the outcome?

Possible, was it same Strain(s)? There so many variables, even same Strains could be different pheno unless clones off same mother and all that.

Not the same strain. Last year they were mostly sativa leaning strains. Black Jack, Blue Dream.. This year I did OG Kush and a hybrid called banana split.

they were clones from the same dispensary BUT not from the same nursery. Last year the clones came from Dark Heart. This year I don’t recall

compared to last year, this years crop is much more airy. The buds are not as compact and i used the same growing conditions. last year all plants had rock hard popcorn buds. this year the buds are not firm.

Could the month long overcast and bad air from the smoke have affected the outcome?
Hi Gee,

Just now seeing this post. Not sure where on the West Coast you are, but here in the California Foothills between Sacramento and Tahoe, what you are explaining is absolutely true. My outdoor growing friends and I all conclude it has to be either the Full Moon that was out and bright for quite a while at the point flowering would have normally begun, the effect of the smoke, or a combination of these and perhaps other factors we're missing. While the Gelato I grew flowered even earlier than expected, like around 7/20; the Amnesia, Baklava and Columbian Gold all started flowering really late, compared to prior years grows, more-like middle of August.

One of my friends also made the exact same observation as yourself about the buds being more airy and not as compact. The genetics of my grow did really well through ultimately, just required a longer period before harvest. In-fact, I typically harvest the Gold about October 11-15th. This season I just harvested it yesterday on Halloween and will finish today. I'm not happy about no rain from the standpoint of drought and fires, but for the whacky effects of this seasons grow season, I'm thrilled I've had no rain to contend with and was able to let the Gold go up to now. It's freakin gorgeous and smells amazing.

The only issue I had this season I couldn't overcome was with the Gelato and it's really too bad, because I was so excited for it. However, the buds were as large as pine cones and due to the humidity over the grow developed some bud rot. While I may have been able to save some of it, didn't want to risk bringing spores to my drying/curing area so had to let it go. It's probably a far better genetic to grow indoor because of that reason. I've grown only large bud type genetics like Kush, etc., but they seemed more resistant to bud rot than the Gelato.

Bottom line, it's not you or your particular genetics per se. There was absolutely something about this years grow season that threw things off.

Below is some pics of the Gold.

Cheers,

Zafu

IMG_6408.JPG
IMG_6418.jpg
IMG_6419.JPG
Columbian Gold 10 31 20.jpg

Hi Gee,

Just now seeing this post. Not sure where on the West Coast you are, but here in the California Foothills between Sacramento and Tahoe, what you are explaining is absolutely true. My outdoor growing friends and I all conclude it has to be either the Full Moon that was out and bright for quite a while at the point flowering would have normally begun, the effect of the smoke, or a combination of these and perhaps other factors we're missing. While the Gelato I grew flowered even earlier than expected, like around 7/20; the Amnesia, Baklava and Columbian Gold all started flowering really late, compared to prior years grows, more-like middle of August.

One of my friends also made the exact same observation as yourself about the buds being more airy and not as compact. The genetics of my grow did really well through ultimately, just required a longer period before harvest. In-fact, I typically harvest the Gold about October 11-15th. This season I just harvested it yesterday on Halloween and will finish today. I'm not happy about no rain from the standpoint of drought and fires, but for the whacky effects of this seasons grow season, I'm thrilled I've had no rain to contend with and was able to let the Gold go up to now. It's freakin gorgeous and smells amazing.

The only issue I had this season I couldn't overcome was with the Gelato and it's really too bad, because I was so excited for it. However, the buds were as large as pine cones and due to the humidity over the grow developed some bud rot. While I may have been able to save some of it, didn't want to risk bringing spores to my drying/curing area so had to let it go. It's probably a far better genetic to grow indoor because of that reason. I've grown only large bud type genetics like Kush, etc., but they seemed more resistant to bud rot than the Gelato.

Bottom line, it's not you or your particular genetics per se. There was absolutely something about this years grow season that threw things off.

Below is some pics of the Gold.

Cheers,

Zafu

IMG_6408.JPG
IMG_6418.jpg
IMG_6419.JPG
Columbian Gold 10 31 20.jpg
Great Googly Moogly!
She is HUUUGE!

Odd.
I recently harvested my first grow in a long time. My friend, who gave me the clones, remarked that the buds were not very thick like his indoor grow. Nice looking buds just not compact like his recent harvest.
I'm in SoCal.
Was hotter than hell the last few weeks of flower.
I harvested 3 plants 10/13 and the remaining 3 on 10/20.

Back
Top Bottom