Tokists' Soil Afghan Kush Grow HPS vs. CFL

No worries mate it's all about learning for yourself, you know it to be true then

I got some tips and full pictures on my journal on light defoil, LSTing and topping. Might want to check it out. Easy really just dont rush it. Let them be and pull them apart when some tops are taking over.

Yeah I agree with JBC, learning through personal experience is the best way, it may have been a good thing for your experience that you debranchiated :popcorn:, well that's why I want to know the clone success rate, did you use a rooting hormone of some kind I hope?
Yeah in addition to JBC's journal, and my first journal , if you read that than you can see how I did LST and tricked the plants into forming multiple new apical tips that all get pretty much equal light.

I'm excited for all these little closet DIY grows, quite a few of us have just begun flower. Tokist, I'm hoping for 4 females for you brother!! :peace:

PS: Don't beat yourself up for any reason , you will have this journal later to look back on and review. It's all apart of the experience and joy of growing an ancient medicinal plant. :Namaste:

Yeah I agree with JBC, learning through personal experience is the best way, it may have been a good thing for your experience that you debranchiated :popcorn:, well that's why I want to know the clone success rate, did you use a rooting hormone of some kind I hope?
Yeah in addition to JBC's journal, and my first journal , if you read that than you can see how I did LST and tricked the plants into forming multiple new apical tips that all get pretty much equal light.

I'm excited for all these little closet DIY grows, quite a few of us have just begun flower. Tokist, I'm hoping for 4 females for you brother!! :peace:

PS: Don't beat yourself up for any reason , you will have this journal later to look back on and review. It's all apart of the experience and joy of growing an ancient medicinal plant. :Namaste:

damn, you guys know just what to say. thanks, brothers!

i did use a cloning gel. rootech! it was given to my by my veteran growing buddy. he's the one who said to remove all the bottom growth. his argument makes sense, and since he used to be the guy who supplied this entire area with weed, i figured i'd do what he says. his weed was THE shit back then. but i need to remember that he had four thousand watt (thats FOUR 1000W) lamps with parabolic reflectors and light movers and god knows what else (he showed me his storage shed that had all his grow equipment when he gave me those T5's). so for him to cut off two thirds of the branches probably was nothing, cuz he had 100 plants under twenty thousand dollars worth of lighting equipment.

the lesson here, folks, is to remember where you're getting your advice and to what grow that advice is applicable. his advice most likely would have worked better for someone else who had an entire grow ROOM with better equipment. i, on the other hand, am a closet grower with (and i dont care what you say leester, these lights suck ;)) shitty lights and limited space. so, i should probably take my advice from people who are also running a similar operation.

on the other hand, i'm starting to feel better about the debranch/foil. the clones i got off of them are acting like they werent even cloned. the leaves are still cleaving upward for the light, there's no discoloration on the tips and some of them are showing a bit of new growth (albeit, very little, but still). i mist them about twice a day and i make sure the rockwool cubes are moist. the cervantes grow bible recommends to dial down the humidity from 95% to 80% after the first couple of days, so i've gone ahead and cracked the vents and started to let them breath. i threw one clone out because the leaves looked like they were rotting (they looked that way prior to cutting but i figured what the hell).

watered with straight ro water today and started a new batch of ctea. i overdosed the molasses like i did last time so tomorrow i should have a nice, yeasty ctea. the plants loved the shit out of the last batch, so i guess i really did do something right!

can anyone recommend a good grow book that wasnt written by jorge cervantes? something that explains more of the science behind the scenes? and maybe goes into genetics a bit more in-depth?

now if i could only commandeer the laptop for the few hours it'll take to read both of your lst grows... my wife can only play on that tablet for so long.... and i'll be damned if i'm gonna navigate these forums on that little touch screen.....

ok, so i'm finally back home for the night. after work we went and looked at a few houses as this one-bedroom-apartment shit is for the birds.

checked on the ladies today. there's one confirmed female. saw two little silver hairs poking out of the crook of the very top-most newer growth. that particular plant had 5 clones pulled from it, so assuming they all take (and i've no doubt they will), there's five baby girls right there. i tried to take a photo, but the hps light wasn't having it. not to mention, my phone's camera couldnt zoom in on something so miniscule.

i imagine that tomorrow, maybe the rest of them will show their sex. would be nice for all 20 clones to turn out female :D

interesting side note

i imagine this won't be of any interest to veteran growers, but it was pretty cool for me. it's day 10 of flower and i've started to notice that the branches are growing in off-set (another indicator your plant is flowering). but the coolest thing for me was the main stem. i noticed that starting from the bottom, it's at its thickest. obviously, right? each time a set of fan leaves appear, the stem is a bit thinner than the part preceding it. it's also hollow. but, the best part? it's covered in what i can only assume is... resin?

i rubbed my fingers up and down the shaft (oooooo!) and noticed a pungent odor starting to manifest. i took a whiff of my fingers and they smelled exactly like the afghan kush i had from the dispensary up in washington. only stronger. a lot stronger. my fingers were sticky as if i just got done cleaning out my pipe.

i had to raise the lights yet again - i'm pretty sure i just raised them two days ago, and my wife raised them a couple days prior. their vertical growth has exploded since they've been put into flower. i angled the distal portion of my cfl reflector as well, allowing a better angle for light to hit both plants a bit better. i raised the hps enough so that the lux covers both of its plants a bit better too.

my wife and i have agreed that there will be no more growing new plants until we get out of this apartment and into a house. so i'll probably be giving away most of those clones and throwing out the rest. my veteran grower friend has decided to come out of retirement and start up again, so i imagine he'll be making good use of em. i was gonna start a hempy grow with a couple of em but it's whatevers. i can always buy some seeds and grow a good mother out of em. then ill clone hempy's til the cows come home.

anyways, that's about it. mostly just thinking out loud. and logging for future reference. g'night all!

flower day 11

just a small update!

i'm starting to wonder if the hairs i saw yesterday were indeed the hairs that i think they are: pistils. there aren't anymore than there were yesterday on that plant. however, plant number one has some now where there weren't any yesterday. plants 3 and 4 aren't showing any yet.

plant number 2 (the biggest of the four) grew 2" since yesterday, so i've had to raise the light again. that's three times in almost as many days. ever since the yeasty ctea, it's gotten out of hand a bit. this morning, just about all their fan leaves were overlapping each other so i 86'ed em. i then took the big pile of fan leaves and threw them in with the ctea. i figure all the yummy sugars and various other vitamins and minerals that're still in there can be recycled and throw back into the soil. circle of life, right?

here they are now after another healing ctea bath. it's official, after cutting of any type, i spritz ctea on em and the wounds are healed up next day and i'm sure i'll have another inch of growth. (they're numbered 1 to 4 from left to right).

i also supercropped each stem that'll support bud growth. nothin serious. i just squeezed em a bit. i've read all over that doing this helps deliver more nutrients above the break. probably shoulda done it alot sooner but it's all good. these plants seem to be indestructible. even the clones are doing great! still no leaf discoloration, they're all perky and waiting to root.

i tried to take a pic of the hairs i saw. for some reason, they didn't show up, even with the quality set to hd. i blew it up and you could count the hairs on my knuckle and even see the dirt in-between my fingerprint ridges, but not the damn hairs on my plant.

if you can see 'em, you're better than me.

does anyone know about how long it takes for them to quit growin so damn tall so damn fast and start budding already?

do buds start appearing all at once at the same time? or would i have one or two appear one day, then a few days later some more, and so on?

oh, and i looked up bloombastic and i've read many different reports stating that while it makes bud growth explode, it always ends up changing the taste for the worse. i wonder what organics are in it that would cause that? perhaps it's the result of using it with chemical nutes?

has anyone heard of the floranectar line from genhydro? apparently, you can flavor your crop with one of several different fruit flavors.

• FruitnFusion
  • PineappleRush
  • BananaBliss
  • GrapeExpectations
  • Coconut
  • SugarCane
  • BlueBerry Dream

it supposedly helps with other things as well, but i think that's more like afterthought features.

any organic growers out there that know of a way to do this organically?

anyways, this full time work and full time school is for the fuckin birds. i gotta get some sleep, y'all. here's a nice parting shot of plant 4 after her ctea bath.

Yeah, as you know, when you flower they tend to stretch. That's why I don't let my plants grow out of control during veg state, by letting them go wild one plant could get taller than another, and end up stealing a lot of the light. If the canopy was even, all tops would get equal light, that's why I'm a big supporter of LST. I can't tell you how long the stretch period for your strain is, because we don't know your strain.

When you change the photoperiod at a time when the plant may not be fully sexually mature , meaning pre-flowering has not begun, you force the plant into a crisis decision mode, to make flowers, or to keep vegging, it needs to decide how much energy it has to spend. This stress can cause hermaphroditic characteristic possibilities...

It doesn't hold true always, but taller plants with more space in between nodes typically mean a male, and shorter plants with more tight spaces between nodes mean females. From your pictures, I don't believe the plants could be sexed. What you circled is clearly the stipules, which have no implication towards determining sex.

You should take a gander at this here link for a nice read: Female Pre-Flowers and Flowering

Plant number 2 looks like it will be about 6 feet tall when its all said and done, and seems like it will tower over the others. This is yet another reason to train your plants at an early age. Check out my journal and see what I have accomplished with two plants under 156 watts of CFL.

Best of Luck :peace:

Yeah, as you know, when you flower they tend to stretch. That's why I don't let my plants grow out of control during veg state, by letting them go wild one plant could get taller than another, and end up stealing a lot of the light. If the canopy was even, all tops would get equal light, that's why I'm a big supporter of LST. I can't tell you how long the stretch period for your strain is, because we don't know your strain.

When you change the photoperiod at a time when the plant may not be fully sexually mature , meaning pre-flowering has not begun, you force the plant into a crisis decision mode, to make flowers, or to keep vegging, it needs to decide how much energy it has to spend. This stress can cause hermaphroditic characteristic possibilities...

It doesn't hold true always, but taller plants with more space in between nodes typically mean a male, and shorter plants with more tight spaces between nodes mean females. From your pictures, I don't believe the plants could be sexed. What you circled is clearly the stipules, which have no implication towards determining sex.

You should take a gander at this here link for a nice read: Female Pre-Flowers and Flowering

Plant number 2 looks like it will be about 6 feet tall when its all said and done, and seems like it will tower over the others. This is yet another reason to train your plants at an early age. Check out my journal and see what I have accomplished with two plants under 156 watts of CFL.

Best of Luck :peace:

im familar with what the stipules are; my wife mistook them for hairs a few days ago when she was watering the plants and i had to correct her. i circled where the hairs SHOULD appear, but they dont show up at all on the uploaded photo (the image on my harddrive is of much higher quality and can be blown up rather large without pixelization). i assure you that what i am looking at are hairs (pistils? not so sure...). today, every plant has them now. the only commonality is that they tend to appear on the higher branches first. which makes sense, the auxins work from the top down.

i'm going to have to disagree with your statement that the plant is going to be six feet tall. after some reading i was reminded of the stretch after the flip so i'm not so much worried about it anymore. i've read and heard from various sources that the plant will typically double it's height during flower. which will be within 8-10 more inches. i dont anticipate them going higher than three feet.

but! as you well know, i've been wrong before!

the clones are looking well. one finally showed some leaf discoloration. they're turning a pale yellow ever so slowly. the others are lookin great so far. not sure what day they're on, but i can double check the date of the post later.

we'll see how things go. if these plants get six feet tall i'm going to have to abort. that space will not accommodate plants that large and i've nowhere else to put them.

its still not too late to do some lst if you wanted to. those ladies have some very long legs.

how would you suggest i go about it? i'm all open for advice. i just got done reading that link you gave me, leester. it was a very nice refresher. i'd read most of that before on various occasions when i first created this account many moons ago. now i know where i got all these random factoids that're stuck in my brain!

the thing that interested me most was the part that said "your plant can MORE than double after put into flowering". sooo... it's quite possible for these bitches to get to six feet, strain dependent.

gs, bro. help me out, man. at this point, i dunno how i can lst them while still keeping all of them underneath that light. i'm afraid if they bush out, i'm going to engage in a losing battle....

where do i even begin?

find a good spot on the main stem about half way from the first growth and the top. use rope, twist tie, wire. ect... then tie it down to the pot.
bending the plant to the proper height you want. I will have to revisit this post in about an hour as I just got medicated and not sure if it makes sense

find a good spot on the main stem about half way from the first growth and the top. use rope, twist tie, wire. ect... then tie it down to the pot.
bending the plant to the proper height you want. I will have to revisit this post in about an hour as I just got medicated and not sure if it makes sense

LMFAO!

awesome.

so, halfway between the first growth: the first original growth that's since been cut? or the first growth that's still there?

i am also medicated and i'm not so sure if that makes sense either, but i revised it thrice so i should be good.

in doing this, what am i accomplishing? won't this cause the axillary shoots to bush out? is this good to do at this stage of growth? am i over-analyzing? does the pope shit in the woods?

:tokin:

Easy Tokist mate,
He may be getting super high ATM :). He means the first tie as a support for the very bottom of the stem so when you pull over the top with more string it doesnt pull the bottom out of the soil, it wont pull it out but would stress it some. I didnt do it this time as mine were a bit bendy but defo worth it to keep it stood straight while you yank on the top.

Then all the side branches which sorry to say you dont have many left will then turn up to the light becoming new heads , turning ine head into 5+. Then you can top all of them turning the 5+ into 10+ and so on...... Bit longer veg but you turn the one plant into many.

Hope this helps mate :thumb:

Easy Tokist mate,
He may be getting super high ATM :). He means the first tie as a support for the very bottom of the stem so when you pull over the top with more string it doesnt pull the bottom out of the soil, it wont pull it out but would stress it some. I didnt do it this time as mine were a bit bendy but defo worth it to keep it stood straight while you yank on the top.

Then all the side branches which sorry to say you dont have many left will then turn up to the light becoming new heads , turning ine head into 5+. Then you can top all of them turning the 5+ into 10+ and so on...... Bit longer veg but you turn the one plant into many.

Hope this helps mate :thumb:

ahhh hahahahaha!!!!

"which sorry to say you dont have many left"

i have no idea how that happened....

good thing you clarified cuz i was all ready to just tie the top of the damn plant to the side of the pot, lmfao!!! wow, maybe i should put the pipe down.

ok, so definitely a lesson learned for the next grow. no debranchiating! i'll toke with my girls later on tonight and see how far down the rabbit hole they're willing to experiment.

sigh.... those poor branches....

oook, i think i've got a good enough photo so y'all can see the pistils. in person, i can see the itty-bitty calyx that the pistils are coming out of. you can kinda see it in the photo when it's blown up on my computer.

that little hair in the red circle (there's actually two but the other one is hiding behind this one) is definitely a pistil. my phones camera really doesn't do it justice. if it could focus on the pistil and not my thumb, it'd be able to show it as clear as i can see it but them's the breaks.

the photo is from plant number 2. after reading the article leester linked me and looking at several other pictures - gs, your video helped alot as well, believe it or not - i now know exactly what i'm looking for. so i went and checked the other plants thoroughly.

i can say with 90% surety that plants 1 and 3 are also female. plant 1 actually has easier to see calyxes and about three hairs popping out of em. they're really, really fine hairs, but they're there. plant four's top growth seems to have slowed, nearly halted. all those soon-to-be leaves are sittin where they're at and getting sticky. when i moved them around they all stuck to each other. i tried to straighten em back out a bit, i figured they might grow funny... if they even continue growing. so far, 1-3 only have calyxes on the topmost growth.

so yay! i've got three females, at least! thats good news for my clones.

gonna try to figure out how i'm gonna lst them. i have some twine somewhere.... i dont have a drill to make any decent holes in the pot, so i might just use duct tape (a method i saw in a medgrowcollege video on youtube: where you duct tape the leaves to the side of the pot). in fact, here's that video. he talks about supercropping mostly:

[video=youtube;vacg2FZWtrk]
[/video]​

i'm gonna lurk some more logs and hit the sack. gnight all!

ok, so i couldn't wait. this past december, i spent about two weeks up in washington state visiting my family. my dad has a medical marijuana card, and my uncle grows it.

for my christmas present, my dad got me and my wife a half oz. of afghan kush.

had i been thinking at the time, i would've taken better and MORE pictures for y'all. for some reason, i didn't think to take a picture of the actual weed until the very last bit was left. we were at the airport, getting ready to go through security and my wife and i decided to go ahead and kill the last of the weed. while it IS legal to possess cannabis without a card in washington, it is not legal to smoke it in public: equates to drinking in public i guess.

i went to the bathroom and locked myself in a stall. i was kinda nervous, cuz i'd never had the balls to do this at an international airport. here's what we had left:

why i waited until that moment to remember to take pics of it, i'll never know. sorry guys.

luckily, it was more than i thought we'd had, so i was able to roll it into a doobie (i always have a paper in my wallet). we toked it up and ate the last of these:

the gummies were useless. the dude at the dispensary said two got him a nice buzz (the bag says 100mg of THC. that's for the entire bag, not per gummie - lame). apparently, the burn outs in washington are light-weights. i ate the whole damn bag and felt nothing. a bit disappointing.

my wife and i split the brownies (one and a half each, the bag says .23g = 230mg. more than double those stupid gummies) and they didn't prove to be much better. we did get the lightest bit of the giggles and an overall relaxed feeling but it was fleeting and if they hadn't told me there was pot in those brownies, i never woulda known.

i'm not sure where these dispensaries get their stuff, but they need to raise the bar, man. there's only one time where brownies got me super baked and that was several years back. i had eaten this bowl of brownies and ice cream a friend had made. she said it had weed in it, but she was usually a terrible cook so i didn't really pay attention to it. i drove home shortly after, i sit on the couch, fire up the tv and before i know it, i'm baked out of my mind from the inside out. when i woke up the next morning i was STILL baked. best brownies ever.

in any case, along with all those edibles and smokeables came the seeds i used to grow these ladies. i keep saying they're afghan kush because the way my dad explained it, i'm under the impression that they're the same as the bud we smoked. but i'm not sure. and i ask him now, and he can't remember to save his life.

hope y'all enjoyed the pics!

Just a friendly hint, be careful with any stress trainings as the lower portion of your stalks should contain much cellulose and is probably somewhat woody, you wouldn't want to crack one of them bitches in half..

The newest vegetative growth, including the stalk is always most pliable, you can even begin to manually train the stalks by hand at a very young age (day 14), but yeah, weed's grow wild and tall if let go unkept.

Glad your sure you got pistils, congrats I hope they start bloomin like crazy for ya mate.

:peace:

Just a friendly hint, be careful with any stress trainings as the lower portion of your stalks should contain much cellulose and is probably somewhat woody, you wouldn't want to crack one of them bitches in half..

The newest vegetative growth, including the stalk is always most pliable, you can even begin to manually train the stalks by hand at a very young age (day 14), but yeah, weed's grow wild and tall if let go unkept.

Glad your sure you got pistils, congrats I hope they start bloomin like crazy for ya mate.

:peace:

yea, i wasn't even gonna try to snap those bottom branches. i definitely have an idea of how i want my next grow to go. i made enough mistakes for the next one to be perfect, lol.

Back
Top Bottom