Un-Lucky Queen 12/12 Hempy

heyo doc, long time since i look in on your project here; looks like all went well in the end! It's really cool to have somebody summarize the key points of their experiences in an effective manner the way you do so THANKS! for doing that. Regarding the phenomenon of time release nutes and shying away form big commercial products: I;ve always been a 'lazy' grower. I don't like the idea of a nute regimen, or of my plants going deficient if i forget to feed them, or especially relying on my ability to be dead on each time I feed em. Too much hassle. My solution? mix organics (dried blood, guano, kelp, lime etc) into your soil, use highly active compost or manure as part of your soil (for microbes and micronutes) and spike it with a microheard additive once or twice. All you need to do is water, maybe with some molasses.
Sorry to ramble....I just get excited when I see others coming to the same conclusions...Lazy is better!!!
Congrats on the harvest as well!!!

heyo doc, long time since i look in on your project here; looks like all went well in the end! It's really cool to have somebody summarize the key points of their experiences in an effective manner the way you do so THANKS! for doing that. Regarding the phenomenon of time release nutes and shying away form big commercial products: I;ve always been a 'lazy' grower. I don't like the idea of a nute regimen, or of my plants going deficient if i forget to feed them, or especially relying on my ability to be dead on each time I feed em. Too much hassle. My solution? mix organics (dried blood, guano, kelp, lime etc) into your soil, use highly active compost or manure as part of your soil (for microbes and micronutes) and spike it with a microheard additive once or twice. All you need to do is water, maybe with some molasses.
Sorry to ramble....I just get excited when I see others coming to the same conclusions...Lazy is better!!!
Congrats on the harvest as well!!!

thanks bro!

I'm in total agreement with you, RE "just add water." I'm headed there myself.

There is at least one exception:

Part of my growing will be to produce edibles, and especially kief. Finely filtered kief is a GREAT substance to use in edibles, and I'll obtain it via hempy buckets. They produce higher yield and less smell.

My pollination procedure: Using a produce bag, I turn the bag inside-out except for a corner. I put the appropriate amount of pollen in the corner and use a twist-tie to seal it into the corner and turn the bag right-side out again - Twist-tie on the outside. I then select the appropriate lower branch for the number of seeds I want to produce and secure the bag over the branch using another twist-tie. I then unleash the pollen from the corner of the bag and "poof" the pollen around in there until I am satisfied that the pollen is pretty well distributed. I leave the bag on for a day or two and remove it carefully when the fans are off and leave the twist tie on the branch to mark it. This seems to work quite well for me and I have the shiny, black seeds to prove it. I might get a random seed elsewhere on the plant but I just consider it a bonus and request my other three patients keep them for me and mark which jar they got it from. 2-3 seeds per ounce is no biggie.

Osmo-Madness

My hempy bucket is starting to do really well (finally got its toes in the reservoir). What a breeze. I may get a couple more of those WalMart trash cans and do a couple more in the next run.

I am having a problem tho with a couple of soil plants in the flower room I used Osmo on. With 103° temps outside, my grow room gets up to 85° (even 90°) but I don't really want to have to put an air conditioner in there too. My pH dropped to around 5-5.5. After a flush I am guessing the Osmo poops out another batch of nutes and the pH hardly changes after I check it a couple hours later. The plant is beautiful but showing some signs of over-fert. I can't remove the stuff easily so do you have any suggestions?

I am having similar problems with some 1-gal pots and 6" plants I used some osmo on (1 tbsp/gal) showing some burning to leaves. Didn't realize the temp could cause it to release too much nutes if that is indeed what's happening. The tops of the plants are growing well but the lower leaves are yellowing some and getting a little dry.

Maybe it will work better this fall/winter when the temps are more acceptable.

It's designed to release nutes appropriately at around 70, so higher temps will cause it to dump nutes faster.

That's probably what's causing the burn.

Yeah - I pretty much guessed that and maybe if my temps were a little lower it wouldn't affect them quite so much. Maybe 1/2 or less prills to start if it is hot in there. Still sold on the concept though. Need to raise the pH somehow. Suggestions for that?

It's designed to release nutes appropriately at around 70, so higher temps will cause it to dump nutes faster.

That's probably what's causing the burn.

Yep....keep 'em cool any way you can. The high temps is causing the ammoniacal N to release even more than the nitrate....which will begin to lower your pH. I'd put a couple ice cubes in the top of the pot and see if you can lower the temps a bit.

Thanks Doc - I think I'll just make Osmo a winter thing in the future. Cooling my growing area is just not cost effective but the plants are doing great otherwise.

Now for the damn mites. Attain doesn't work ($25 shot). The Pyrethrum bomb doesn't work very well. The Safer soap knocks em down but I'd really like to kill 'em off. They are the bane of the perpetual grow. Neem seems to do well but they always come back. Guess it's time to try Floramite again but not on the flowering girls. And just when you think they're gone - freckles. Maybe if it ever really becomes legal they'll devote some research into really getting rid of the little bastards.

Thanks Doc - I think I'll just make Osmo a winter thing in the future. Cooling my growing area is just not cost effective but the plants are doing great otherwise.

Now for the damn mites. Attain doesn't work ($25 shot). The Pyrethrum bomb doesn't work very well. The Safer soap knocks em down but I'd really like to kill 'em off. They are the bane of the perpetual grow. Neem seems to do well but they always come back. Guess it's time to try Floramite again but not on the flowering girls. And just when you think they're gone - freckles. Maybe if it ever really becomes legal they'll devote some research into really getting rid of the little bastards.

Quite a few of us have had great success with Hot Shot No Pest Strips.....get 'em at Home dePot.

Improper use of miticides has produced supermites, especially here in California. This is another reason why I shy away from clones. Many of them have hippies.

How much of a difference do you think adding those supplements makes versus using the OC+ alone?

It would lose some of it's appeal for me if I had to use multiple supplements to produce a top-shelf product, because then it wouldn't really be that much more work to use other nutes that need multiple applications.

SS - as I'm re-reading, cut and pasting for my notes I have the same question. I'm still ramping-up but am dreaming of getting a finish product that looks anything like the Doc's...

SS - as I'm re-reading, cut and pasting for my notes I have the same question. I'm still ramping-up but am dreaming of getting a finish product that looks anything like the Doc's...

I didn't add much in the way of supplements at all. In the soil it was a matter of splashing 10 mils of Hygrozyme and occasionally 8 mils of Snowstorm. I pH'd the hempy's to 6ish, but did not pH water for the soil plants.

These plants weren't supposed to be this good. Here's what I did "wrong" that should have produced a poor yield:

1.)zero veg time
2.)Nearly killed with Dutch Master Reverse (iimproperly applied by me)
3.)Nearly killed with a pump failure and a 5 day drought (not my fault)
4.)small pots for the soil plants (1.5 gallons.)

I can only conjecture that the grow went as well as it did because of the OC+. I can't prove that was the key, in a scientific sense, but judging what I'm seeing in other grows, I believe the OC+ is the reason I did as well as I did.

Hey, Doc -
Try to imagine the hopeful excitement you've inspired in us. As a newly licensed care giver here in New England who's only played w/ GH and Botanicare lines of nutes - BUT - is totally committed to outcome, finding your journal was (divine) intervention.
I have 17/20 seeds now under flo and just received my bottle of OC+ that I had to order on line.
My goal is to keep best babes as 'working moms' and clone, but this fall I'll most certainly give your 12/12 from seedling a go.
One more question though: could the OC+ have been the reason for a later harvest? Wouldn't that be more related to that spiral staircase of dna/genetics?
I'm still whittling down my cut/paste doc from your unlucky 12/12 and following your new post as well.
You CANNOT imagine how much I've learned in the last 2-weeks. Not bad for a 55+ year old guy w/ high hopes and best of intentions...
Thanks to you and yours!!!

AZAMAX should might be what you need. Wonderwill are u in RI? I live a little up north where they say its the state where everything is illegal.

Could the OC+ have been the reason for a later harvest?
Perhaps.....but I grew a Sativa dominant strain and they take longer. The one Lucky Queen that actually made it was harvested on time 3 weeks earlier than the Sour Diesel.....and it was also OC+.

So, I think it was genetics.

Another thing to consider about growing 12/12: It saves 6 hours of electricity every day.

i was wondering how u got ur seeds?

I don't know if this will go through to you - tried to respond initially, but to no avail.
I ordered from Herbies <Marijuana Seeds – Cannabis Seeds For Sale – Buy Weed Seeds Online - Herbies>
and received 5ea of Black Widow, Midnight X-Press, and Pineapple Chunk, and 3-seeds of N.L. x B.B

So far only 2 (out of 5) Midnight X-P and 2 (out of 3) NL/BB

Got 2-freebies and both are doing very well
(Sharksbreath and Rock Lock).

Package arrived w/in 5 working days as advertised and they are "sad to hear" about my MXP and have offered to sweeten-up my next order w/ some other freebies.

I should know w/in 3 weeks if all are feminized which is what I paid for.

Hope this goes through...

Back
Top Bottom