Un-Lucky Queen 12/12 Hempy

Doc how do you feel about foilar feeding with the mini hempy run-off?
My tap water ph = 7.4- 7.6 (pool test kit, yea i know will get digital soon), after i water
my babies with str8 tap water and test the run off (nutes are incorporated into mini hempy's as per your instructions) the ph seems to read 6.8-7.2. Also, i bought 2 gals. of r/o water and tested the ph. It read nearly if not exactly the same as my tap water! Not sure if I'm going color blind or the pool test kit isn't on par. I am using CFL's in a standard pc case. 2 23 watt 6500 and 1 23 watt 2700. So, "IF" i can foilar feed with the run-off can i do it with the lights on without fear of burning my babies? The only real heat is radiated from the little ballast at the bulbs base and it's being dispersed by fans. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Doc how do you feel about foilar feeding with the mini hempy run-off?
My tap water ph = 7.4- 7.6 (pool test kit, yea i know will get digital soon), after i water
my babies with str8 tap water and test the run off (nutes are incorporated into mini hempy's as per your instructions) the ph seems to read 6.8-7.2. Also, i bought 2 gals. of r/o water and tested the ph. It read nearly if not exactly the same as my tap water! Not sure if I'm going color blind or the pool test kit isn't on par. I am using CFL's in a standard pc case. 2 23 watt 6500 and 1 23 watt 2700. So, "IF" i can foilar feed with the run-off can i do it with the lights on without fear of burning my babies? The only real heat is radiated from the little ballast at the bulbs base and it's being dispersed by fans. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Ah....just saw this.

Personally, I wouldn't foliar feed with the runoff. They don't need it, and it just don't seem natural.

The pH thing you're noticing is a testament to the buffering power of soil. It's why you don't need to worry so much about pH in soil. But it is very important in hempy.

I just foliar fed with magnesium today, and I did it with the lights off.

sorry bro but i dont have time this second to be reading, just wondering if this grow, u use the red DM for your nutes and what else did you use during flowering?

Ah....just saw this.

Personally, I wouldn't foliar feed with the runoff. They don't need it, and it just don't seem natural.

The pH thing you're noticing is a testament to the buffering power of soil. It's why you don't need to worry so much about pH in soil. But it is very important in hempy.

I just foliar fed with magnesium today, and I did it with the lights off.

Hey there Doc!..thanks for the response.
few questions
1. can i use vinegar added to my water for ph down?
2. If so, what ratio ml/gallon should i use?
3. in your notes u stated hempy ph should range from 5.8 - 6.2
what should i ph my water to before watering.

Thanks in advance Doc!

Hey there Doc!..thanks for the response.
few questions
1. can i use vinegar added to my water for ph down?
2. If so, what ratio ml/gallon should i use?
3. in your notes u stated hempy ph should range from 5.8 - 6.2
what should i ph my water to before watering.

Thanks in advance Doc!

1.) I would not use vinegar. The mild acetic acid in vinegar will not keep the pH down if your water is moderately akaline. Use pH down (usually phosphoric acid) or if you're on a budget, get battery acid from Kragen/Pep Boys/O'Reilly. Yep....I mean that. Battery acid. Sulphuric acid is just as good pH down as any other.

2.) There is no way to know how much to use. It all depends on the total alkalinity of your water. You need to get a decent way of measuring pH.

3.) Start of veg at 5.8 and let it rise up to 6.2 by the 4th week of flower. This isn't critical....you could just pH it to 6ish from start to finish.

OC+, Snowstorm, Hygrozyme, un pH'd tap water.

Das all.

is that the humbolt snowstorm, i could be wrong. have you used the red DM before? which would you believe to be better the red dm or the OC+?

im thinkin of givin the red dm a try , but just wondered what you thought is a better one.

is that the humbolt snowstorm, i could be wrong. have you used the red DM before? which would you believe to be better the red dm or the OC+?

im thinkin of givin the red dm a try , but just wondered what you thought is a better one.

I have not used Dynamite yet, but I'm on my third go with OC+

Which is better? Well, I don't know. I do know that OC+ is not a good choice in the flowering phase if high temps are expected. However, if you keep your room in the 70's, OC+ works like magic. It also has the full compliment of micronutes.

Dynamite is a great product. Better than OC+ in high temps. However, it doesn't have the micronutrient profile.

You could always buy a bag of micro nutes and then you could use any CRF you wanted to try.

I can tell you this:

In soil, these CRF's will blow away 1000 bucks worth of jackass cannabis nutes. Add a couple supplements in the bloom phase and you're at the top of your game, right out of the box.

I have not used Dynamite yet, but I'm on my third go with OC+

Which is better? Well, I don't know. I do know that OC+ is not a good choice in the flowering phase if high temps are expected. However, if you keep your room in the 70's, OC+ works like magic. It also has the full compliment of micronutes.

Dynamite is a great product. Better than OC+ in high temps. However, it doesn't have the micronutrient profile.

You could always buy a bag of micro nutes and then you could use any CRF you wanted to try.

I can tell you this:

In soil, these CRF's will blow away 1000 bucks worth of jackass cannabis nutes. Add a couple supplements in the bloom phase and you're at the top of your game, right out of the box.

by micro nutes do u mean like the cal/mag, cuz irishboy says i would need that if i choose to use DM? or am i way off?

CRF's??

by micro nutes do u mean like the cal/mag, cuz irishboy says i would need that if i choose to use DM? or am i way off?

CRF's??

You need to do some reading. Don't be a mindless follower......

for starters, google "micronutrients healthy plant growth"

There's far more than Calcium and magnesium. Learn about it.

there are several good products that can supply these. Learn about them....read.

You need to do some reading. Don't be a mindless follower......

for starters, google "micronutrients healthy plant growth"

There's far more than Calcium and magnesium. Learn about it.

there are several good products that can supply these. Learn about them....read.

ok then.. thanks for the help

1.) I would not use vinegar. The mild acetic acid in vinegar will not keep the pH down if your water is moderately akaline. Use pH down (usually phosphoric acid) or if you're on a budget, get battery acid from Kragen/Pep Boys/O'Reilly. Yep....I mean that. Battery acid. Sulphuric acid is just as good pH down as any other.

2.) There is no way to know how much to use. It all depends on the total alkalinity of your water. You need to get a decent way of measuring pH.

3.) Start of veg at 5.8 and let it rise up to 6.2 by the 4th week of flower. This isn't critical....you could just pH it to 6ish from start to finish.

Thanks Bro! tomorrow's payday !!! YES!!!! i will be going to get a digital ph meter as well as ph down. I read up on the sulphuric acid homemade ph down. After much reading i can make a liter of ph down w/sulphuric acid for pennys compared to the 1 quart bottle for 16 bucks. Hmm what to do... what to do....... *still thinking*..lol..

I didn't even know you could buy battery acid, much less that it would be something to use around plants. Doc you're an endless source of great info!

Yea Bluedog true dat! Doc is DA MAN!!!! blue careful tho, YES!! Sulfuric acid makes a dynamite down agent and you can totally make your own at home! BUT, your statement that sulfuric acid is commonly known as "battery acid" isn't quite accurate at least as far as auto parts stores go - and could be, at the least, a practical problem and, at worst, a safety issue. The culprit here is confusion and I want to avoid it is all.

Some automotive and motorcycle parts stores do indeed sell concentrated sulphuric acid (calling it "battery" acid 'cuz that what it's used for in this industry), which is generally 97% or 98% pure. However, 100% "pure" H2SO4 is not sold because sulfuric acid loses sulfur trioxide (SO3) at boiling point, reducing concentration to a little better than 98%. So, the words pure and concentrated mean specific things in chemistry, and it can REALLY matter sometimes.

Automotive and motorcycle parts houses also carry a product called "battery acid," or "battery fluid," which is a premixed - and sometimes buffered - solution of 33% (4.2 molar) sulpfuric acid in solution with distilled water.
a parts store will carry either one (97%) or the other (33%), but not both. NOTE: 99% OF THE PEOPLE WHO WORK AT THESE STORES DON'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE AND IT ISN'T USUALLY REFERENCED ON THE PACKAGING!!!
Both the concentrated and premixed come in boxes with the big scary NFA panel and huge warnings with pictograms showing acid burns to human flesh and reactive metals. Neither typically indicate the concentration anywhere on the packaging. Figures 1-5 are examples of both concentrated 97% sulfuric and premixed 33% solution.

HOW TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE SINCE RETAIL CONTAINERS RARELY SPECIFY CONCENTRATION: First, don't ask the counter help; often people will answer questions that they are not qualified to answer in an effort to be helpful. This is especially true of retail clerks whose job it is to "help" the customer. It's well-meant but not very reliable. Concentrated sulfuric will have instructions in the box on how to create a solution by mixing with distilled water. Premixed "battery acid/fluid" will instruct the customer to add it as-is to the battery cells.

So...
One is "battery" acid, meaning: "Acid that is to be mixed with water and then added to a lead/acid battery,"
The other is "battery acid/fluid," meaning: "The already mixed stuff that is ready to go into your battery right out of the bottle/pouch/bag."

*thinking more*...........(long pause between thoughts)....lol..."great MJ" will certainly help you over analyze things most times...only to come up with a myriad of solutions that'll work ....end up just going with primary instinct........pause......:tokin: *calling A-Zone*:peacetwo:

I agree great post CaneyeBus!

I however am adding sulfuric acid to the list of things I hope to not have to buy. I've got lots of buckets so when it rains I fill them up, I'm trying real hard to just use nice, neutral & free rainwater.

It's the only free thing involved with growing at least for me:blunt:

I agree great post CaneyeBus!

I however am adding sulfuric acid to the list of things I hope to not have to buy. I've got lots of buckets so when it rains I fill them up, I'm trying real hard to just use nice, neutral & free rainwater.

It's the only free thing involved with growing at least for me:blunt:

Thanks Bluedawg!!!!! grrrrrrrr.lol.

Yea I agree with you wholeheartedly as far as the rain water goes and keeping as many things in the "free" zone as possible. Sadly :( it only rains here sporadically. When it was raining good for about 3 days or so, i collected about 3 gallons of rainwater. My girl (singular) at the time seemed to love it. Until i made a noob mistake and she went to Mj heaven (without me smoking her!!!) Live and learn right?! I do have a pc hempy grow going with 3 bagseeds actually 6 as i have two pc's going.

Friend of mine gave me 3 shortryder beans. I want to drop them sooooo bad.
But, i think I'll wait to see how these 2 side by side grows go. As this will be my first COMPLTETE grow. ooooohhhhhweeeee i wanna start a journal so bad!

"Keep it GREEN and keep it TOKEN!!!":tokin:

Hey Doc,
Just finished the long read on this grow...I am getting geared up to give this method a shot, and am quite excited about it! However, I was checking up on some of your more recent posts, and it seems as though you are not using this method any more...is there a particular reason you abandoned the osmocote+ method, or are you just trying new and different things. I am new to this community...in fact signed up due to your thread! Am not sure if you will get this, considering the age of the thread...but I am not allowed to PM yet.
My plan is to utilize a mix of Dynamite Organic, Osmocote+, and Mater Magic in Hempy Buckets, following your outlined method for dosage and placement. I am curious to know if you ever noticed that plants in Hempy Pots are more tolerant to higher temperatures...this is something I heard recently at my local grow shop, but am not completely confident in the source.
Anyway, I ope you get this...and would greatly appreciate a reply. Thanks for opening my eyes to a new, and simpler way to get what I hope to be even better results!

Back
Top Bottom