Un-Lucky Queen 12/12 Hempy

Hey, Doc -
You CANNOT imagine how much I've learned in the last 2-weeks. Not bad for a 55+ year old guy w/ high hopes and best of intentions...
Thanks to you and yours!!!

I have been here almost a year and have learned more and had the best time here at 420mag than anywhere else I frequent. I also am 55 and yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Hey guys - Sorry for the out-of-sync post there, #720; I am not allowed to respond to a 'private message' until I post a lot more, but I did wish to respond to Myzz617. So that note - 720 - was meant to answer a question to him.
Any way I can respond to a direct, private message before I hit/achieve the magical, required #50 posts?

Hey Doc - couple of quick questions.
Early on (P5 #72) you mention dipping your mini-hempi-pots into mild nute solution and adding H2O2 once-twice week. How much H2O2/gal of solution?
P6 #83 "tap water, SuperThrive, 'dash' of veg nutes; #87 Added OC+ granules to solution. I noticed in pic that you had the pitcher shielded, sitting inside flex hose. Important?? Also, you stated you "kept the granules in mixing pitcher" to simply use again, BUT were they dry or in couple of OZ's water?
My girls are 21-days from getting wet, 17-days in jif-cube/potting mix w/ 1+ inch perlite on bttm in 3' square pots. I did the OC+ into well water from get-go, left pellets in container IN minimal water solution and topped-off container checking ppm once gal-container was full. PPM remained low.
Just poured out 10-oz water in bttm of gal and it measured 2.0 (1100@500/1400@700) and since I had not topped-off gal container and solution was 'thick' do you think that by topping it off I would have been alright?
When might I add an enzyme solution? Girls are 17-days today in potting mix and looking GREAT.
I was thinking about dipping them in an enzymed sol brfore transplanting into my 7x7x9 inch pots.

Also, the bigger gals I might veg under 1000 hps for another 10+ days @ 18/6 before going 12/12. The best stay as moms-to-be so I can clone. Do you think I could veg them w/ others under 1000 for those 10-12 days then place them back under T-5's or might that shock them a bit?

Standing by, IAm

Hey Doc - couple of quick questions.
Early on (P5 #72) you mention dipping your mini-hempi-pots into mild nute solution and adding H2O2 once-twice week. How much H2O2/gal of solution?

While they were in the germ cups I made sure I didn't get root rot, hence the H202. Using the stuff you get at Walgreens, not the really strong stuff at the hydro store, I usually mixed it 5:1 water/peroxide.

P6 #83 "tap water, SuperThrive, 'dash' of veg nutes; #87 Added OC+ granules to solution. I noticed in pic that you had the pitcher shielded, sitting inside flex hose. Important??

I keep my pitcher inside ducting to keep the light off of it. It's not important if it's dry, but i had a couple inches of water and OC+ prills.

Also, you stated you "kept the granules in mixing pitcher" to simply use again, BUT were they dry or in couple of OZ's water?

See above.

My girls are 21-days from getting wet, 17-days in jif-cube/potting mix w/ 1+ inch perlite on bttm in 3' square pots. I did the OC+ into well water from get-go, left pellets in container IN minimal water solution and topped-off container checking ppm once gal-container was full. PPM remained low.
Just poured out 10-oz water in bttm of gal and it measured 2.0 (1100@500/1400@700) and since I had not topped-off gal container and solution was 'thick' do you think that by topping it off I would have been alright?

I'm not sure exactly what you've got going here....I'll take a stab at it. I could never get the OC+ in pure water to go over about 300-400 PPM. The product is best used incorporated or top dressed in the medium. If you're going to use OC+, incorporate it into the growing medium in such a way that when you water, the water flows over the prills.

When might I add an enzyme solution? Girls are 17-days today in potting mix and looking GREAT.
I was thinking about dipping them in an enzymed sol brfore transplanting into my 7x7x9 inch pots.

Are you growing in soil? Perlite? I used Hygrozyme, an enzyme, right from the start.

Also, the bigger gals I might veg under 1000 hps for another 10+ days @ 18/6 before going 12/12. The best stay as moms-to-be so I can clone. Do you think I could veg them w/ others under 1000 for those 10-12 days then place them back under T-5's or might that shock them a bit?

I honestly don't know.....My plants had really tight nodes under the T5. But I've never vegged under an HPS, so I really don't have a good answer for you on this one.

Standing by, IAm

I hope this helps bro!
You know my motto....keep it simple.

I hope this helps bro!
You know my motto....keep it simple.

Yeah, I appreciate that. Sometimes I get ahead of myself and a bit hyped up. I soooo love having the girls growing and they can keep me awake at night w/ their chatter -- for real.
I will be mixing OC+ into pots as recommended. I'll be doing FFOF + ProMix HP + added perlite. I think they'll be ready for larger containers this week.

All are from femmed seeds, but I'll be looking for those nasty boys that try to hide out just to compromise my little girls! I'm not ready for growing seeds just yet; figure I'll wait for DocBud's Busty Girl mix coming soon!!!

You've got me saving-up for 3-lamp w/ tractor drive as well as GEN-1 gasser.

Trying to remember 'simple' -- as always, IAm

Yeah, I appreciate that. Sometimes I get ahead of myself and a bit hyped up. I soooo love having the girls growing and they can keep me awake at night w/ their chatter -- for real.
I will be mixing OC+ into pots as recommended. I'll be doing FFOF + ProMix HP + added perlite. I think they'll be ready for larger containers this week.

All are from femmed seeds, but I'll be looking for those nasty boys that try to hide out just to compromise my little girls! I'm not ready for growing seeds just yet; figure I'll wait for DocBud's Busty Girl mix coming soon!!!

You've got me saving-up for 3-lamp w/ tractor drive as well as GEN-1 gasser.

Trying to remember 'simple' -- as always, IAm

Cool bro!
Please think about a journal with pics. Your mix sounds great, and I think you'll be surprised at the quality of buds you get.

OC+ (and other CRF's) are, IMO revolutionary. ANYONE can produce quality with these.

I have a similar experience. The hempys yield better, however.

I'm re-thinking the whole beneficial bacteria thing in the hempys. From what I learned, they are not needed.....but taste and smell is muy importante!

My whole deal is to find a way to make growing weed as easy as growing vegetables, and I think I've done that with Osmocote. I'm hoping someone else will try Dynamite or one of the organic time released ferts.

Doc, great grow so far, I'm upto post 192 so far, excellent read, thanx for sharing.
How are you determing how much TRF to add, the label?
I'm considering trying dynamite soon after seeing Irish's grow
bounce back strong.
I'm reading this journal start to finish a few pages a day, I don't wanna let myself skip to the last page and wreck a good read, with that said if you have discussed ratios for appling just point me to the post :)

Thanx for you
efforts & time,
John Whorfin

Thanx doc, I am actually going to use the purp dynamite, per Irish's grow, I'll check there website.
Best Regards,
John Whorfin

I've been busy over the last two days:

Paul McCartney concert last night. Amazing doesn't describe it. Historic doesn't do it justice.....you had to be there.

Today, I mixed up several year's supply of micronutrient mix. I have enough raw material left over to make a lifetime supply for me and several friends.

Total cost 122 dollars, less than a medium sized container of Advanced Nutrients Can-a-sewer.

This is all for my next several grows....or, depending on how things go, maybe for the next several hundred grows.

Here's what I started with. Gypsum, dolomite line, sulpher, epsom salt, and a micronutrient mix:
IMG_09784.JPG

I'm using FFOF as the base soil.
Here's the batch of pre-plant mix:
7 cups of gypsum, 3 cups lime, 4 oz. Epsom salt, 1oz Borax.
IMG_09803.JPG

Here's the "weekly" mix. I may not need to use it every week, because the ferts I like also have micro's in them. 4 pounds Epsom salt mixed with 10oz of the micro mix.
IMG_09814.JPG

Here's how much is used:
IMG_09822.JPG

IMG_09836.JPG

Another way of putting it is that I have over 5 pounds of pre-plant, single application micro.....and I use 8 tsp per BAG of FFOF.

I have over 4 pounds of weekly mix. On a weekly basis, I use 3-4 tsp per bag of FFOF. In other words, If I have a bag of FFOF spread out into 15 pots.....I only use 3-4 tsp, spread out into each pot! I'm gonna be using a gram scale to figure out how much to add!

Here's how much material was left over:

Not quite half of the epsom salt used
IMG_09848.JPG

Not quite half the gypsum used:
IMG_09854.JPG

the bag of lime is essentially full. I've got enough of this stuff to hand some down to my grandkids when they start growing.

And, it was cheap. Really, really cheap.

I know it will work, too. I have a friend who grows amazing vegetables with this stuff....the best I've ever seen or tasted. The importance of micronutrients cannot be over stated.

So, I went ahead and mixed the proper amounts in with the FFOF soil, and put it away in a rubbermaid tub.

I'll start the seeds in Light Warrior, then transpant them into this soil I've made, using OC+......water.....and away we go! I'll try this mix out in a hempy or two also.

I'll repeat this post when my new journal gets started....I'm still checking trichomes to see when to chop the current grow, which is looking better every day.

I LOVE growing pot! In fact, I'm addicted to it. Growing, that is.

Please 'scuse my noobness. But how exactly do you use this "weekly mix" Do you mix it in your water and then water the plants? Or do you sprinkle it on top of the soil and water?

Also, do these just act as your nutrients? Nothing else except for this "weekly mix" + water and also the soil and OC+? Basicly what you have done here is done a DIY AN for 1/billionth of the price?

Please 'scuse my noobness. But how exactly do you use this "weekly mix" Do you mix it in your water and then water the plants? Or do you sprinkle it on top of the soil and water?

Also, do these just act as your nutrients? Nothing else except for this "weekly mix" + water and also the soil and OC+? Basicly what you have done here is done a DIY AN for 1/billionth of the price?

Hey epic!
I use the "weekly mix" as needed by the plant.....I don't know how long that will be yet. On my new journal, i'll document when I use it. I haven't used it yet. I'll probably try putting it on top and watering with it to see what I like.

And yes....along with the OC+ this mix is better than AN (at least in my garden) the total cost is somewhere around 15-20 cents a plant for BETTER results.

I wanted to bring this cool technique to your attention. I will be building a smaller version once my 1inch rockwool with seed is fully rooted. Instead of soil I will be using hempy ingredients ie perlite and verm 4:1 - I think if I were to throw in some bubblers in the reservoir it would make it even more badass!

You can also watch a 3 part video on the construction

On another note...do you think in a hempy bucket, once the roots make it to the reservoir do you think it is necessary to water from the top at all? Do you think it would work if you were to set them up in an ebb and flow table and have it flood a few inches above the damn hole of the hempy? I think you mentioned this somewhere in here. What advantages do you think this system would have over the traditional Ebb and Flow in netpots - perhaps the ability to grow larger plants bc from what I understand E&F is only suitable for small SOG grows...if you want trees you would have to top feed your netpots.

I wanted to bring this cool technique to your attention. I will be buliding a smaller version once my 1inch rockwool with seed is fully rooted. Instead of soil I will be using hempy ingredients ie perlite and verm 4:1 - I think if I were to throw in some bubblers in the reservoir it would make it even more badass!

You can also watch a 3 part video on the construction

On another note...do you think in a hempy bucket, once the roots make it to the reservoir do you think it is necessary to water from the top at all? Do you think it would work if you were to set them up in an ebb and flow table and have it flood a few inches above the damn hole of the hempy? I think you mentioned this somewhere in here. What advantages do you think this system would have over the traditional Ebb and Flow in netpots - perhaps the ability to grow larger plants bc from what I understand E&F is only suitable for small SOG grows...if you want trees you would have to top feed your netpots.

All the mods can work. Some of them might not be noticeable...some might be an improvement....but the whole thing about hempy is that it's simple. Don't complicate it, just get a damn bucket, drill a pencil sized hole 2 inches up from the bottom, fill it with perlite, grow some plants.

Ebb n Grow, flood tables, DWC....all are cool ways to grow. But hempy is not those....nor does it need to be. It works just fine on its own. Easy, inexpensive, efficient.

keep it simple. keep it hempy.

Back
Top Bottom