Virgin Grower, Pink 2.0 & Sour Diesel Clones, Indoor, Soil

What did you change ?

So far the only things I've changed around since bloom has started are moving my oscillating fan to ground level, installing a window-ducted air conditioning system in the outer room to keep all of my plants at an optimal temperature, and adding another layer of tape to the edges of my Bloom Room's ducting because I was suspicious of light leak causing slow Flowering.

-I did notice that the flowers became more prominent in the two days after resealing the room for light leak.

-I anticipate another larger growth spurt after they've been given supplemental Bone Meal to help them along for Flowering, which will be their next watering in another day or two.

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

30151.jpg
31984.jpg

Bloom A - Week 2 Complete

The second week of 12/12 for the first set of clones (Pink 2.0 #3, Sour Diesel #2) is complete. They look healthy and the tops have begun to open up in bloom. I am very happy with these plants.

Bloom B - Day 10

Purgatory Seedling #2 is doing extraordinarily well, considering its age and that it was planted with nutrient-inlaid soil that burned all of the other seedlings pretty terribly. I am very happy with the color on this individual plant, pictured in the above close-up; The initial leaflets were burned, and the tips of the second pair began to do so, but now it has evened out because of the introduction to a 12/12 Flowering Photoperiod. I didn't know that plants could bounce back on their own in this manner, as I expected Purgatory #2 to be in much worse condition. I thought it was super cool that the 12/12 Photoperiod seems to have saved its life from an imminent demise.

Bloom C - Day 1

Pink 2.0 Clone #2 (aka. Plant B/Balin) has outgrown its former pot, causing an indigo-colored deficiency; it has been given a new home in a 5-gallon cloth bag with the other flowering clones, and I believe staggering by a two-week period with another of this strain will be an interesting way to stagger these three clones. I anticipate that the 12/12 seedling may join them afterwards, creating the initial perpetual cycle for three harvests. I may wait to add another plant to this room until I have a product drying.

If I run into the issue of outgrowing again, I may try to get taller pots so that I can hold out their vegetative state for a longer period of time. Until then I will do my best to manage dealing with their current environments.

Hi Miasma, just wanted to sub in here and watch your progress. Looks like you really know what you are doing! How long have you been doing this? I'm wondering two things;
1. How important do you feel the CO2 is? What about for hot+humid tropical environments?
2. Have you started taking your own clones yet? Do you have a special "mother" area?

Virgin Grower - Pink 2.0 & Sour Diesel Clones - Indoor - Soil

Hi Miasma, just wanted to sub in here and watch your progress. Looks like you really know what you are doing! How long have you been doing this? I'm wondering two things;
1. How important do you feel the CO2 is? What about for hot+humid tropical environments?
2. Have you started taking your own clones yet? Do you have a special "mother" area?

Hey man, I started doing this during the second week of January this year. I've learned everything that I know from reading books about marijuana horticulture, plus just throwing myself into the fire. I still am learning, reading more every day. To answer your questions:

1. I killed my very first set of clones with too much heat; the second set I was able to deal with by better ventilating my initial growth environment. Even then, I ended up sacrificing light efficiency and turning my ballast down to 250W in order to compensate for controlling the temperature of an environment that was constantly between 83 and 87 degrees. The new plants now seemed to be affected by it in their visible stature, rate of growth and overall health; I decided to add CO2 at this point in the game, and within a week I noticed a great difference in their posture, color and reception to the overhead HPS light. This is why I am now a firm believer in CO2 as a secondary way to deal with the environmental temperature; beyond this, supplementing CO2 can also triple overall yield.

I now have three filtered, ducted, passive air intakes; I use an ionized air purifying tower fan that blows clean air at point blank into the passive air intake. The outtake fan is high in the outer room, with one side hooked via 20' of ducting to the light, and the other side connected directly to a carbon filter. This the other port on the light open to creation a negatively-charged circulation system that vacuums the air out of the room and across the bulb, simultaneously cooling the light.

Across the outer room, pointed at the passive air intake and purifier combo for the Bloom Room is my window-ducted, air-conditioning system that now controls the temperature of the whole office. I set up my air conditioning system in the outer room about two weeks ago, so I had actually been dealing with heat issues from the beginning of my growing experience.

2. The first clones that I've taken were too prematurely cut, I have now learned, and died. I also chose the wrong medium to place them into (just potting mix), and noticed that soil: lacks the same support as Rock Wool for clones, can muddy your Clonex application when you go to plant into it, and isn't as efficient to deal with in terms of cleanliness or preparation time for such a delicate activity. I will be using Rock Wool from now on when I decide to take them. This has also made me consider using Rock Wool as a hydroponic medium after my first round with soil, given the clean look you can get in warehouse builds; I want to adapt a stacking system with these for a smaller space, super Tetris-like.

As far as the Mother Ship, I have been looking for one or two 1.5' Long x 1.5' Wide x 3.5'-5' Tall Tents to stack above my Propagation Chamber on Amazon for the past two days and will order tonight most likely. It will be a very basic setup, and I'll probably use another 300W LED set or rig something of my own for an LED panel. I don't have this part put together yet, but it is in the works in accordance with my surgery recovery time and rate of seedling growth.

I read back in your journal here a bit, but couldn't find what kind/size of exhaust fan you are using. Could that be undersized and causing the heat buildup? Where does the exhaust go? I could help you improve that heat situation, but agree you may just need an air conditioner in the end. The CO2 interests me because I'm in a tropical climate where the ambient temp is 80 year round...and I can't afford to run an AC constantly. Sounds like I should investigate more. How expensive was that system? You have two don't you?

Also your praying mantis seems really cool. Would love updates on them as well as the plants. They could be your mascots :)

Innovating daily

I overlooked your pest control measures. How's the mantis' ? Is it working out ? Did you get the ladybugs too? I've always considered doing that.

I read back in your journal here a bit, but couldn't find what kind/size of exhaust fan you are using. Could that be undersized and causing the heat buildup? Where does the exhaust go? I could help you improve that heat situation, but agree you may just need an air conditioner in the end. The CO2 interests me because I'm in a tropical climate where the ambient temp is 80 year round...and I can't afford to run an AC constantly. Sounds like I should investigate more. How expensive was that system? You have two don't you?

Also your praying mantis seems really cool. Would love updates on them as well as the plants. They could be your mascots :)

Innovating daily

Mantis Era: To get the bad news out of the way three out of four attempted to crawl out of the caged exhaust port with the PC fan blowing, so they were ripped to pieces trying to flee the out-ports over the span of about two weeks. This was before I got the air conditioner, so considering that I gave them food and water, I imagine they tried to escape the heat and were brutally massacred in their covert operations. Willie, the last mantis, escaped and is somewhere in my house or has attempted to pry his way out of the tarped cabinet, maybe getting stuck in between some layers of duct tape, waiting to die in his adhesive prison. I haven't found him yet, so as far as my investment goes I would say they're not worth it. Ladybugs would have done better (plus they're cheaper), but again would have probably died from the original heat levels during the day. I decided to stick to 100% Organic Neem Oil diluted into a water solution, which has worked great. I still am considering another insect pet, but one who may be more robust.

Temperate Air Control: Right now I'm using one 6" PC Fan Output per cabinet. I do agree with you about their power and inability to output heat efficiently on their own, so i decided to order another set of 6" PC Fans so that I can add one to each cabinet. I may potentially double up on this next purchase and put a PC Fan over the Passive Filtered Air-Intakes, also; I believe this will help alleviate the overall problem in conjunction with the other measures taken.

Supplemental CO2: Firstly, I don't want to say anything biased towards one company or another at all, I just want to neutrally list my setup plus cost. My current system is consists of: one Titan Atlas 7 Digital CO2 Controller, one Titan Saturn 6 Analog CO2 Controller, two electric Titan Controls CO2 Gas Regulators, one 5 lb. CO2 Canister for my Afghani Clone cabinet, one 20 lb. CO2 Canister for my Bloom Room.

Vegetative Cabinet 5 lb. CO2 Setup:
-Analog Controller: $150-$200
-Electric Regulator: $75-$85
-5 lb. CO2 Canister: $55-65

Overall Worst-Case: $350 before tax
Bi-Weekly Canister Refill: $15

Bloom Room 20 lb. CO2 Setup:
-Digital Controller: $200-$275
-Electric Regulator: $75-$85
-20 lb. CO2 Canister: $100-$150

Overall Worst-Case: $510 before tax
Bi-Weekly Canister Refill: $25

Obviously, CO2 can be quite expensive if you are growing on a budget; I have devoted a lot of my income to doing the best that I can with the system I've chosen because I smoke often and would like to reduce my yearly expenditure on marijuana, which currently is about $200/week. To me, taking the leap and dumping some cash into this is a decently safe investment because I will be able to store a vacuum-sealed product of this for a long period of time, nullifying my $200/week expenditure that comes near $10,000/year. I understand that initially putting this much money into it can be a risk, but it is legal for me to cultivate in my state and I have a raised limit on how many plants I can have because I still use a medical card in an area where recreational use is legal now. I don't believe my overall investment will be as high as my yearly expense of marijuana from dispensaries, and I am proud of that since I potentially have the ability to now harvest my own crop to lay out for a yearly schedule.

I typically like to buy new Regulators and Controllers, but recycle my canisters with a welding distributor when they have reached their expiration date or sooner. I've started with a new 5 lb. canister but have recycled it once so far, and have only used recycled 20 lb CO2 Canisters from the beginning.

A/C: I use one SOLEUS Air industrial Air Conditioner in my outer office now, and it has helped tremendously with heat control. I wholeheartedly recommend that anyone experiencing these same issues to get an air conditioner; even though I have learned a lot about how to deal with heat by not having it, I consider having this a necessity nowadays.

Hey guys, sorry I have been out of it all day; my umbilical hernia repair surgery was today and I have been doped up more than normal, so I figured I'd wait to reply.

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hi there Miasma all your plants are looking good. It's quite exciting when you see pistils show up within hours. :thumb:

Hey there dude! I agree, and each day I look in there they just get more prominent and reach further. I just picked up some Fox Farm Big Bloom to get them going either their next feeding or the one after. I am very glad that everything is healthy! The third clone in the Bloom Room with the color deficiency from out-growing its last pot has started flushing itself with a lovely green now, also. I swear that flipping to 12/12 saves plants lives in addition to beginning their Flowering Photoperiod.

P2-3_BWK-3_Wide.jpg

Pink 2.0 Clone #3: The Top Colas on this beauty are looking stronger.

P2-3_BWK-3.jpg

Pink 2.0 Clone #3: Terminal Cola close-up; this plant has a few top colas to choose from but this one is the best.

SD-2_WK-3_Wide.jpg

Sour Diesel Clone #2: A profile view of my secondary Sour Diesel Clone, who has been mislabeled when I labeled it last (now that I notice).

SD-2_WK-3.jpg

Sour Diesel Clone #2: A close-up of the Top Two Terminal Buds. This one is going to yield big, I can feel it in my boner.

Bloom A - Week 3 Complete

I feel much more confident regarding my first set of flowering clones, they just look and behave healthily. I eagerly anticipate watching these nuggets grow. They've each been given their first 6.3pH Liter dose of Fox Farm Big Bloom (1 TBSP/1L).

Were they topped before flowering?

Yes, I actually ended up topping all of the clones halfway through their extended vegetative period and then once more a week before I flipped to 12/12. I used the FIM technique mixed with standard topping for each plant, the initial being standard top and latter cut being FIM'ing.

I also decided to add Beneficial Nematodes to all of my clones' pots today. It is preventative, as I haven't seen any mites, fungus gnats or other soil-breeding pests in this room. I figure that adding a 100% organic pest control method into the mix before flowering will ensure the security of my product.

Back
Top Bottom