Websissy’s Purple Haze Grow Journal, 2021

I discovered that the feeding chart I was using was for people growing hydroponically or in coco.
One thing that throws off many new growers is the terminology used to define the growing medium. Soil is dirt, the stuff out in your back yard, it is made up of crushed rock and has a lot of nutrient in it from the rock minerals.

Peat, coco, rockwool, and most bagged soil mixes contain no dirt and fall under the category of hydroponics. If you don't add the trace mineral to the bagged mix with your nutrient then there is no other source of those minerals available to the plant so MrSauga has got you on the right track there.
Super Thrive
You want to be very careful adding this to your plants when they are in bloom. Too much and you will end up with buds that are pretty much unsmokeable. The super concentrated vitamins when smoked in your bud will give you some nasty effects and flavor. If you do add it to bloom make sure you give them a good flush before harvest. I made this mistake years ago and will never do it again, it's much worse than just having too much fertilizer in the bud IMO.

:cough:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me :)

Start of week 8 of flower - I can see that the buds are still growing - slowly! Some might be turning a tinge of purple. :hippy: I am trying to get some close up shots. My eyesight isn’t good so the magnifying clip over my phone is giving me a closer look. Seeing some Trichomes:goof:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me :)

Start of week 8 of flower - I can see that the buds are still growing - slowly! Some might be turning a tinge of purple. :hippy: I am trying to get some close up shots. My eyesight isn’t good so the magnifying clip over my phone is giving me a closer look. Seeing some Trichomes:goof:

Still need some time. :welldone: But your getting there.
Bill

Still need some time. :welldone: But your getting there.
Bill
How much time? I’m hoping by 10 weeks I can harvest. I need the tent for her clones that are outgrowing my bathtub T5. Do I still give her nutes or start to flush her so that the buds won’t be chemically? She is starting to foxtail a little - could be the nutes she’s getting now or the heat. It’s getting warm in Arizona! Thanks :ciao:

How much time? I’m hoping by 10 weeks I can harvest. I need the tent for her clones that are outgrowing my bathtub T5. Do I still give her nutes or start to flush her so that the buds won’t be chemically? She is starting to foxtail a little - could be the nutes she’s getting now or the heat. It’s getting warm in Arizona! Thanks :ciao:
Try and keep the heat down and keep her out of the light. That will help with the foxtailing.
I honestly can't tell from that image how much longer, sorry.
Can you get a better pic of trichomes?
Bill

One thing that throws off many new growers is the terminology used to define the growing medium. Soil is dirt, the stuff out in your back yard, it is made up of crushed rock and has a lot of nutrient in it from the rock minerals.

Peat, coco, rockwool, and most bagged soil mixes contain no dirt and fall under the category of hydroponics. If you don't add the trace mineral to the bagged mix with your nutrient then there is no other source of those minerals available to the plant so MrSauga has got you on the right track there.

You want to be very careful adding this to your plants when they are in bloom. Too much and you will end up with buds that are pretty much unsmokeable. The super concentrated vitamins when smoked in your bud will give you some nasty effects and flavor. If you do add it to bloom make sure you give them a good flush before harvest. I made this mistake years ago and will never do it again, it's much worse than just having too much fertilizer in the bud IMO.

:cough:
So what do you consider too much?

Another comment I wanted to add to my grow journal - as I was inspecting some of the buds - seeds started to fall off - they are mature seeds now. Only some of the buds were pollinated (by mistake). Have about 20 seeds so far. I wonder if mature seeds is a sign I should harvest?

Another comment I wanted to add to my grow journal - as I was inspecting some of the buds - seeds started to fall off - they are mature seeds now. Only some of the buds were pollinated (by mistake). Have about 20 seeds so far. I wonder if mature seeds is a sign I should harvest?
The maturity of the seeds doesn't make a difference. Check this link out. It should help. Save the pictures and study it well.

So what do you consider too much?
After my last experience I would consider any at all to be too much. Really makes your throat hurt when you smoke it and it tastes like smoking vitamins. Not pleasant. That's why I would recommend a good week or two of flush before harvest where you do not add the superthrive but try and remove any remaining from the soil.

Do I still give her nutes or start to flush her so that the buds won’t be chemically?
Rub some of the crystal off a big fan leaf and see what it smells like. If it smells like chemicals then yes I would do a good flush.

In week 8 of flower she is given me some seeds from unintentional pollination! She still has a bunch of buds without seeds. I gave her another feed this morning - lowered the nutes though to the ripen stage as I think this could be her last feeding before I start to flush next week (too early stilll?)

I had to add one of her clones to spend the day with her as my bathtub clone area is over crowded. She goes back in the tub to share the 1 2ft T5 light with her sisters. As soon as I can harvest, the clones will get a week or two more to veg under the stronger LED and then will begin their flower journey. (The other plant is a mint plant

Continuing to pick off seeds. She’s still alive - looks thicker.

I put her larger clone in with her during the day thinking she might like the stronger rays but she doesn’t look so hot - she was starting to droop and felt like she needed some water - so I fed her this morning. Now I’m noticing her new leaves that were already starting to look more green, now look lighter yellow. Hopefully it’s just her adjusting. Maybe too much change in climate from my bathroom to the tent?

In week 8 of flower she is given me some seeds from unintentional pollination!
Some of those look like some very healthy seeds.

Sorry, can't help you there. I feed right up until harvest.
I’m so confused - so what is that people say about the chemical taste? I’ve tasted some of her immature seeds and a leaf and it didn’t taste bitter - more like a blade of fresh grass. I guess I can do it either way - your way sounds like it’s healthier for the plant.

I’ve tasted some of her immature seeds and a leaf and it didn’t taste bitter - more like a blade of fresh grass.
What you are tasting is the chlorophyll in the plant. What makes the smoke smooth is a proper dry and cure, not the leftover nutrients. As the plant cures, the chlorophyll is drawn out and dissipates. That's when you start to pick up the smells from the terpenes in the plant.
Hears some more reading material for ya. The second link is an easier read.

your way sounds like it’s healthier for the plant.
Really depends on how much you have been feeding the plant. Given an excess of fertilizer the plant will simply store the excess nutrient in the leaf so it will have it later since it is more than is necessary for the plant to continue growth. Chemical nutrient is 100% available to the plant since it is water soluble. I was more worried about the super thrive to be honest as it can cause some serious raw throat issues when it builds up in the plant and is much worse than excess fertilizer as to the detrimental effects of smoking the chemicals that are in super thrive.

You really have to figure if you have been feeding the plant too much nutes as to whether or not you should flush. If the leaves look super green and "clawed" then you probably should. You can also smush some crystal from a big fan leaf on the plant and see what is smells like. It should smell fruity and delicious.

Hi Websissy! you are having an excellent learning session with this first grow, good job hanging in there to keep learning! I've been following along and am wondering what is your temp in your flowering tent?

Back
Top Bottom