Weeds Do grow overnight - I disagree that weeds benefit from a break in 24 light

trichomes

Friends have tried to tell me I should veg under 18/6 or Lantern method. I see no reason.

I say 24 hours of light will save money, grow faster, stay shorter, and allow more grows per year, meaning more bud in less time.

Plants DO stretch if you give them any darkness when vegging.

I see NO reason to change my method, this is what I learned (25 yrs ago) from Ed R & Jorge C.:adore:

PLEASE help me understand why 18/6 is becoming more common. :thanks:

Sorry, I had to bring this up again. :circle-of-love: you know who you are, just keep shaking your heads, just hit the thumb, :popcorn: & learn.

Re: Weeds DO grow overnight. I disagree, that weeds benefit from a break in 24 light

I've done all three, and I do notice a little more stretch with Glr, but then they stretch less in flower. So in my opinion so far I like glr from the energy savings. But otherwise, it's a wash. At least in my limited experience.

Re: Weeds DO grow overnight. I disagree, that weeds benefit from a break in 24 light

I've used 20/4, 18/6 and GLR. I honestly don't see a difference. I haven't honestly tried 24/0.

but you gotta love the GLR advocates who claim their method best imitates nature. I've never been any place on the planet where there is an extra hour of sunlight in the middle of the night.

but it does seem to me that having a rest period makes some sense.

Thank you, that is good "first hand" information :high-five:

I've done all three, and I do notice a little more stretch with Glr, but then they stretch less in flower. So in my opinion so far I like glr from the energy savings. But otherwise, it's a wash. At least in my limited experience.

I've used 20/4, 18/6 and GLR. I honestly don't see a difference. I haven't honestly tried 24/0.

but you gotta love the GLR advocates who claim their method best imitates nature. I've never been any place on the planet where there is an extra hour of sunlight in the middle of the night.

but it does seem to me that having a rest period makes some sense.

Thanks for your input, I never grew a plant with any rest during veg. I appreciate your opinion. :thanks:

Thanks again cana, would you agree that all plants WILT when it gets dark and wilting is the opposite of growing. This wilting when dark, adds hours of loss in growth everyday, this loss will force you to veg for another week or two, costing more in the long run. Plants vegged under 24 will always be ready to go 12/12 before the plant that wilts daily. Vegging in the dark, nope, I see no savings, I see lost time, lost money and more time, between grows. Do you recall what strain did you do your comparison with? :thanks:

That's an interesting thought Trichomes. I haven't observed any appreciable difference in growth between 24/0 and 18/6.

I wish I was a bit better educated in plant physiology, but I would suspect that certain biochemical pathways are more active during dark periods. But I don't know for sure. Maybe I ought to dust off some books.

This is one of those topics where industrial thinking influences technique. Hydro will grow a plant faster, but that doesn't mean that you have a healthier plant or a better product, it just means that you can speed things up.

I've done the 24 and the 18/6, some of the newer add an hour here and take away an hour there seem silly to me, but I've never tried so I don't know.

During photosynthesis plants produce oxygen. During darkness they take in oxygen and produce carbon dioxide. The shortest way to think of it is the light/dark periods impact the plants breathing cycle. Your plants don't take in as much oxygen when using the 24hours of light. They simply grow a faster. And the rate is not very noticeable for me. I think a few days at best, not a week or weeks. I've never done a controlled experiment so take that for what it's worth.

I can't say exactly how that alters every aspect of the plants life cycle/harvest, but I can say that what I grow using the more natural 18/6 cycle blows away what I grew using the 24hour period at some of the warehouses I've worked--it might just take me longer. That includes growing the same strains from the same mothers using the different methods.

GREAT SHARE! Many thanks for another "first hand" insight. I concur. :thanks:

This is one of those topics where industrial thinking influences technique. Hydro will grow a plant faster, but that doesn't mean that you have a healthier plant or a better product, it just means that you can speed things up.

I've done the 24 and the 18/6, some of the newer add an hour here and take away an hour there seem silly to me, but I've never tried so I don't know.

During photosynthesis plants produce oxygen. During darkness they take in oxygen and produce carbon dioxide. The shortest way to think of it is the light/dark periods impact the plants breathing cycle. Your plants don't take in as much oxygen when using the 24hours of light. They simply grow a faster. And the rate is not very noticeable for me. I think a few days at best, not a week or weeks. I've never done a controlled experiment so take that for what it's worth.

I can't say exactly how that alters every aspect of the plants life cycle/harvest, but I can say that what I grow using the more natural 18/6 cycle blows away what I grew using the 24hour period at some of the warehouses I've worked--it might just take me longer. That includes growing the same strains from the same mothers using the different methods.

I've reviewed THE REPS ARE RIGHT and found it to be entertaining & informative alike. I think it's something every member should participate in at least once. I know I will this Sunday. Join us Sunday through the 1st link below.

Join us :allgood: this Sunday at 9:00 PM PST the thread Noob City Grower

im 18/6 for 3 weeks then to 12/12 strain dependent on how long but im mostly doing indicas and I usually run 9 weeks 12/12
its just a preference for me

I grow in a cold garage so I need heat. I do 24-0 through veg then go 20-4 when I am getting ready to move them to the scrog screen. Then I do 18-6 for two weeks while they grow through the screen. One thing I noticed is by stepping the light before flower they showed faster on the flip (about 6 days faster) then when I took the last round right from 24-0 and put them on 12-12.

All plants do different things. Some may stretch some may not. Some turn purple in cold and some do not. test with what you grow and do what you prefer. To each's own on what times they like. Happy growing to all.

Back
Top Bottom