Weeds Do grow overnight - I disagree that weeds benefit from a break in 24 light

When I used to do 24/0 light I had problems with plants flowering. I am not the only one as I had others tell me the plant will try and flower under 24/7 light eventually and that is without me mentioning to them that it happened to me.

For veg I have done 24/0, 20/4, 18/6, 16/8 and GLR. my favorite overall is probably 16/8 or GLR.

If I had to say one was the fastest it would probably be 18/6. But to be honest it was not drastically faster then GLR. and GLR uses basically 1/3rd less electricity.

In the end though besides the issue of 24/0 causing plants to flower they are all fairly close to the same.

I'm old school and I read all Ed Rosenthals books, he teaches Botany/Cannabis at a large University. He says that vegging should never be dark, plants/weeds, do not need rest, dark makes them stretch in search of the bright light they crave.

Give me your thoughts, thanks.:peace:

That is fairly inaccurate. While cannabis may not "need" dark to grow, its root growth primarily occurs during darkness. There is plenty of well documented studies that show this. Furthermore a strong root system is the basis to a large strong plant. A plants top side size is directly correlated to its root mass.

thats why i cycle through all the light "recommendations" during veg!! seems to work good, However it seems to make the grow process longer as well, not flowering. just veg because its not getting its growth in height as where it would with some dark stretching for the desperate light it needs! but once you start to give it some dark throughout the process it seems to work wonders!!! (my assumption is because it grows deep strong roots versus leaves and heights. Im not just speaking from theory, the smoke quality is the end result everyone looks for i believe. My plants now produce lovely lovely tasty set your ass on the couch for a few hours quality that im happy with. Every self supplying grower out there knows best that you find your favorite type of high and stick with it:) wish everyone the best of luck with future grows.. heres one of my current ones !!
20140206_082139.jpg

The way I understand it is roots grow during the dark night cycle. More roots produce bigger yields. As far as stretching goes, Ive always used HPS for veg and flower and didnt have the double and triple growth when I switched to 12/12 like people say. I used MH once in my recent journal and my plants grew too tall for my tent.

The double and triple growth thing always just seemed like a small short vegged plant idea to me.

I mean if someone has a 12 foot plant I really double its going to become 24-36 feet tall in flower.

this is purely anecdotal, but I was reading my journals on previous grows and each time I used a 36-48 hour dark period between veg and flower, I noted at that time that there was visible plant growth. visible.

I don't think it's at all far fetched to think that they do grow in the dark.

The double and triple growth thing always just seemed like a small short vegged plant idea to me.

I mean if someone has a 12 foot plant I really double its going to become 24-36 feet tall in flower.

I was referring to stretching when flipping from veg to flower indoors. I have never heard of a 12 foot indoor plant and stretching isnt an issue outdoors because the sun is the sun not man made indoor lighting so I agree that wont happen

Nothing better than a well-baited thread title. :thanks: I'm officially convinced that darkness benefits outweigh my 24 hour veg light is best, theory.

Thanks to every cherished member reply here, you guys brought that baited pot to a boil!

Too late for my current grow, but my April cycle will include some darkness.

What do think of the "Red Lantern" method? That's tempting me too.

This :420: site is a true blessing for those "afraid of the dark".

Nothing better than a well-baited thread title. :thanks: I'm officially convinced that darkness benefits outweigh my 24 hour veg light is best, theory.

Thanks to every cherished member reply here, you guys brought that baited pot to a boil!

Too late for my current grow, but my April cycle will include some darkness.

What do think of the "Red Lantern" method? That's tempting me too.

This :420: site is a true blessing for those "afraid of the dark".

Red Lantern? Or Gas Lamp Routine? i did a quick search and RL didnt come up with anything so i assume GLR but if not im interested anyway!

My bad you are correct Gas Lantern/lamp method that interrupts dark period with enough light to plant vegging, thanks, I had the Lantern part right! Have you tried it? What method do you find works best? thanks Blazin!:high-five:

I currently use GLR on my babies and they seem to love it, I think I have another 4 weeks till I go to flower and I will take some before and after shots. Personally I've never grown any other way except with autos, so I can't add much input.

That is fairly inaccurate. While cannabis may not "need" dark to grow, its root growth primarily occurs during darkness. There is plenty of well documented studies that show this. Furthermore a strong root system is the basis to a large strong plant. A plants top side size is directly correlated to its root mass.

Exactly!...reps

I have vegged many plants 24/0 and 18/6...I noticed healthier plants and faster growth from 18/6...I have not tried GLR so I can't comment on that

Also Cannibis is not a weed...look up the definition :)

I just finished my first set of plants vegging with GLR. Growth wise I didnt notice much difference between any of the other styles TBH. Perhaps 18/6 and 24/0 are a bit faster, but it is nothing I could say I even noticed at all.

As for the idea that GLR plants switch to flowering faster, I cannot say on that either. They have all been on 11/13 for about 5 day now, but I still have not noticed them begin to bud, or for the seed plants to show sex either way.

I just finished my first set of plants vegging with GLR. Growth wise I didnt notice much difference between any of the other styles TBH. Perhaps 18/6 and 24/0 are a bit faster, but it is nothing I could say I even noticed at all.

As for the idea that GLR plants switch to flowering faster, I cannot say on that either. They have all been on 11/13 for about 5 day now, but I still have not noticed them begin to bud, or for the seed plants to show sex either way.

That's good info Jimmy...sounds like if there is not much of a noticeable difference, than the main benefit of GLR seems to be electricity savings?...that is still a good thing

Back
Top Bottom