What is happening to my newly-transplanted plants?

Yes, I've read the pH thing. I'll go with what the Pro's say (Ed Rosenthal & George Cervantes). I don't believe pH is not important. When I don't do it I have issues. When I do pH things go way better. It may or may not have something to do with what's in different soils ... I don't know. But I'd rather do things safely so I lessen my chance of any issues.
I still say adjust the pH & in a week things will look better.

I just transplanted my 3 autos yesterday into their forever homes...7 gallon fabric pots, outdoors. Why am I getting yellowing of leaves? Check out the round yellow spot on leaf in upper right side. This is happening on all 3.

Soil is FFOF with a little coco coir, worm castings and perlite mixed in. Watered them lightly after transplanting. Put all 3 outside yesterday under a makeshift awning (wood frame with clear shower curtain) so they don't get killed if it rains heavy. I also gave them their first organic feeding 1/2 strength: Nector for the Gods basic nutes (2 tsp Medusa's Majic, 2 tsp Gaia Mania, 1tsp Zeus Juice and 1tsp Herculean Harvest) all mixed into 2 gallon bucket that gently watered the 3 plants.

Temperature in the 80's and humid. No wind. I don't think it's critters since they've only been out overnight. I researched what it could be but I'm stumped. Organic Nutes with the FFOF causing it? Transplant stress?

Edit: PH is about 6+

IMG_0497.JPG
You transplanted an Auto that's the first thing. When transplanted did u amend the soil? But to me that yellow spot looks like maybe you got a drop of nutes on it?

Yes, I've read the pH thing. I'll go with what the Pro's say (Ed Rosenthal & George Cervantes). I don't believe pH is not important. When I don't do it I have issues. When I do pH things go way better. It may or may not have something to do with what's in different soils ... I don't know. But I'd rather do things safely so I lessen my chance of any issues.
pH is about 6.1 now. You think few tenths higher is going to make a difference? I've read on this site and other sites that pH-ing soil is not necessary because the soil self-buffers or something like that. I'm inclined to not do anything right now, but I welcome input as I'm still learning.

I just transplanted my 3 autos yesterday into their forever homes...7 gallon fabric pots, outdoors. Why am I getting yellowing of leaves? Check out the round yellow spot on leaf in upper right side. This is happening on all 3.

Soil is FFOF with a little coco coir, worm castings and perlite mixed in. Watered them lightly after transplanting. Put all 3 outside yesterday under a makeshift awning (wood frame with clear shower curtain) so they don't get killed if it rains heavy. I also gave them their first organic feeding 1/2 strength: Nector for the Gods basic nutes (2 tsp Medusa's Majic, 2 tsp Gaia Mania, 1tsp Zeus Juice and 1tsp Herculean Harvest) all mixed into 2 gallon bucket that gently watered the 3 plants.

Temperature in the 80's and humid. No wind. I don't think it's critters since they've only been out overnight. I researched what it could be but I'm stumped. Organic Nutes with the FFOF causing it? Transplant stress?

Edit: PH is about 6+

IMG_0497.JPG
Also I forgot. If you're using all kinds of chemicals like PH up or down STOP! ITS SOIL IT DOES IT NATURALLY dont HAVE TO ph soil

In your 1st post you said it was happening on all 3 plants. Did you splash all 3 with nutes ?
You never heard anything about not pH-ing your nutes in soil until about a year or so ago. Until that time everyone said it was necessary. So what changed ? Bro-Science ? I think a few people got away with not doing it & now the new Fad is "you don't have to pH in soil". If that were true why would the scientists say that cannabis nutrients are best absorbed at 6.4 - 6.5 pH. I haven't seen the sentence end in ..."but you don't have to worry about the pH because you grow in soil".

If your soil contains Buffers like humus or lime then you shouldn't need to PH at all. Buffers wear off in pots eventually and you will have to amend your soil. FFOF has buffers if it is from a fresh bag and not recycled from a previous grow.

I got away with not PH'ing for maybe 4+ years. I used to buy a fresh bag for each grow. Then I started recycling some soil and ended up having all kinds of problems as I didn't realise that you needed to amend old and spent soil.

As long as people get good results, who cares what method they use. If the only way you get good results is by having to pH adjust, great. If you don’t and get good results, bravo. There are many ways to grow great cannabis.

Who knows if not adjusting pH is a fad or not. Maybe it’s the way of the future for growing in soil. Kinda like how the “Fosbury Flop“ was to high jumping.

In your 1st post you said it was happening on all 3 plants. Did you splash all 3 with nutes ?
You never heard anything about not pH-ing your nutes in soil until about a year or so ago. Until that time everyone said it was necessary. So what changed ? Bro-Science ? I think a few people got away with not doing it & now the new Fad is "you don't have to pH in soil". If that were true why would the scientists say that cannabis nutrients are best absorbed at 6.4 - 6.5 pH. I haven't seen the sentence end in ..."but you don't have to worry about the pH because you grow in soil".
If it works for people that's great we all so things differently. I agree with the other person on that 100%

If it were just on the bottom old leaves I'd totally agree with you. But look at that yellow spot in the top leaf & it looks like other leaves may be starting to get the same thing. Remember ... Today's problem started last week so you can't let it go too long. OP said he was adjusting to about pH 6. That alone can prevent uptake of certain nutes which in turn causes issues. Therefore the 1st thing to do is feed at the correct pH of 6.4 - 6.5 to see if it fixes things IMO.
I kind of chalked that spot up to random sunburn or something — all the other discoloration is around the edges.

Weirdly, I never even bother checking my ph but I plant mine in the ground, not pots. Maybe I am just lucky with the water quality where I live but it’s never been an issue.

Quite honestly, if I had to adjust the ph of all the water I use for irrigation in the height of summer, I’d just find another hobby because it wouldn’t be worth the time.

I don’t doubt that people can get optimal results by adjusting ph of their water but is cannabis really such a fragile plant that this is necessary? Literally all the plants in my yard get the same water from the hose and seem to do fine.

I kind of chalked that spot up to random sunburn or something — all the other discoloration is around the edges.

Weirdly, I never even bother checking my ph but I plant mine in the ground, not pots. Maybe I am just lucky with the water quality where I live but it’s never been an issue.

Quite honestly, if I had to adjust the ph of all the water I use for irrigation in the height of summer, I’d just find another hobby because it wouldn’t be worth the time.

I don’t doubt that people can get optimal results by adjusting ph of their water but is cannabis really such a fragile plant that this is necessary? Literally all the plants in my yard get the same water from the hose and seem to do fine.
You're fine! Carry on. Mother Earth is taking care of her baby. They're getting all they need and especially since you're in the ground no need to ph

You're fine! Carry on. Mother Earth is taking care of her baby. They're getting all they need and especially since you're in the ground no need to ph
I once had a guy at a grow shop tell me I can’t grow cannabis in clay — also hasn’t turned out to be a problem. As long as you amend the clay, I’ve found it actually retains water well and the plants grow well in it.

I once had a guy at a grow shop tell me I can’t grow cannabis in clay — also hasn’t turned out to be a problem. As long as you amend the clay, I’ve found it actually retains water well and the plants grow well in it.
Hey whatever works for the grower really. I ran out of soil when I was transplanting so the thing had probably a 30% sand in her lol figured see what happens. Retained water and grew fine!

Maybe you need to PH because your water is garbage. Maybe cheap soil?

Not to be that guy. But if you amend the clay, youre not really growing in clay. Some cheap potting soils have clay chunks in them i believe for water retention.
I think youd have far less luck in 100% clay.

Hi again, gang. Here are some follow up pictures I just took. The problem may be getting worse. At this point I don't think it's the nutes I may have splashed on them. I took pics of all three and also a pic of where they're sitting. Maybe someone will see something wrong that I missed. What do you think?

Edit: I almost want to flush them in case maybe I put too much worm castings in the soil mix? Maybe about 2 hands worth in each 7 gal pot. Not even sure a flush would fix that.

Attachments

• IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    720.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    821.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    703.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    878.5 KB · Views: 63
A couple of handfuls of EWC in a 7 gallon bucket won‘t hurt a thing. I have between15-20% EWC in the 5 & 7 gallons pots I’m growing in right now. EWC has an NPK of around 0-1-0, so they won’t hurt your plants that way. I believe they help grow better plants In other ways.

Also, as I said before, to me the nutes you’re using have more P and too little N&K for my liking.

Yeah. I doubt this is worm casting. Just watch it. If it gets worse or spreads then worry. Youre probably right. It looks like a couple drops.

I wouldnt worry. Those lea ves are still healthy. Little hole wont hurt.

Many times the damage is done and there is nothing to do as a reaction. Reacting will only make it worse in some cases. this might be one.

Watch and be vigilant for more change.

Not to be that guy. But if you amend the clay, youre not really growing in clay. Some cheap potting soils have clay chunks in them i believe for water retention.
I think youd have far less luck in 100% clay.
Oh you’re probably right about that, but what I meant was clay isn’t like a death knell. This guy was telling me that he won’t even let his plants touch it.
Hi again, gang. Here are some follow up pictures I just took. The problem may be getting worse. At this point I don't think it's the nutes I may have splashed on them. I took pics of all three and also a pic of where they're sitting. Maybe someone will see something wrong that I missed. What do you think?

Edit: I almost want to flush them in case maybe I put too much worm castings in the soil mix? Maybe about 2 hands worth in each 7 gal pot. Not even sure a flush would fix that.
Why do you think it’s not the nutes you splashed on them? That would be the most logical reason, given how totally random these spots appear. Another possibility is sun scald if you just recently moved them outside.

LOL, I am not really optimistic in day-to-day life but tend to be pretty optimistic about the prospect of cannabis bouncing back from this type of discoloration, and being resilient in general.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I did an extreme stress testing experiment where I beat the shit out of the roots, smashed the plant in my fist, left them to dry out without water and then repotted in my cold ass garage over winter, barely watering them and never fertilizing. They all survived and turned out fine:

Back
Top Bottom