Nearing end of my first grow

targ

Hey there folks,
been a long time lurker, kinda reading along as my grow has progressed. I'm starting to get near the end of my grow and am looking for advice on the next few steps for me.

A little bit about my current grow, I started out in a bucket, then moved into a little cabinet I built. I'm currently using CFLs to grow my girls. I haven't kept any pictures until today, have only snapchat a few friends some weekly update type stuff.

Now to my questions

1. Looking at the calendar I moved them into flower on the 17th of june, so this makes it the end of week 5 for flowering, im expecting 2-3 more weeks? does that seem right?

2. The one that is stretched out, should I just make her into edibles or will she make pretty good nug to smoke? This one is already starting to have a smell, and what I think are trichromes (but I have no idea)

3. The one that is not as stretched out looks like she will be pretty good, but she isn't making trichromes. they have been planted and watered together the entire time. It seems to be different strain but is there a specific reason why they're so different?

4. FOR THE FUTURE:
Im looking to move into a tent in the same closet. Since space is kind of limited I want to split it into a 2 part tent so I can have a plant or 2 in veg & flower each. Could I get away with this with 2 24x30 inch tents? I know thats going to be pretty tight for 2 plants. Or should I just grow 1 big plant in each?

5. FOR THE FUTURE:
Since CFLs are the very intro to lights,I know that my new tent(s) are going to have a different light set up. Im looking at going for LED lights. What sort of wattage should I have for this space, its 4.5sq ft. in each tent

6. FOR THE FUTURE:
Im also considering making this into a tent that is just 24x60 inches wide and having it just be either vegging or flower at one time. I know that I would need 2, possibly 3 lights for this space. Would that be good for 3-4 plants in that space or would it be still too tight?

last 2 are sketch up of the tent I would Like to build DIY

Should get yourself a pocket microscope to check the trichomes so you know when to harvest. I would also suggest that if you are intrested in led lights you check out one of our sponsers such as mars hydro and im sure if you get ahold of smokesara she would be more than happy to suggest a led light suitable for your space.

I agree with lexort..got to look at them trics a d harvest when there at the stage you like..there are 3 colors they will go through 1 is clear then milky then amber..and they all have different effects..your looking for something like this
20160401_095213.jpg
20160401_095019.jpg
20160401_095055.jpg

Yeah from what it looks like with my eyes it doesn't look like most any of the buds are starting to form trichromes.

for light set up, what would be good for 2 plants in a 24x48 space, the dimensions of where im working with are a little different than imagined with all the other stuff I have in there.
Would 2 mars hydro 300 (140W) be good? or should I go the next step up or would I have to worry about spacing?

Mars Hydro lights are a great start if you're looking to use cheap LED's with proven results, they do run a little hot (read inefficient) in comparison to some other LED's though and COB lights are being proven as the way forward due to running much more efficiently (therefore cooler) and with better penetration than multiple SMD's. If cost is of no issue you could check out some of the other manufacturers that sponsor the site, or you could look into making some DIY COB LED's yourself if that rocks your boat, whilst saving money doing so. There are both prebuilt and DIY build COB's in my current journal if that interests you.

If heat is no issue then of course you could always go the HPS route, proven quality over the years along with being a much cheaper initial cost (would cost more than LED to run though) :thumb:

1. Looking at the calendar I moved them into flower on the 17th of june, so this makes it the end of week 5 for flowering, im expecting 2-3 more weeks? does that seem right?
Minimum. Could easily be twice that long.

2. The one that is stretched out, should I just make her into edibles or will she make pretty good nug to smoke? This one is already starting to have a smell, and what I think are trichromes (but I have no idea)
Sure - either.

3. The one that is not as stretched out looks like she will be pretty good, but she isn't making trichromes. they have been planted and watered together the entire time. It seems to be different strain but is there a specific reason why they're so different?
Sativa vs. Indica. Sativas usually take a LOT longer to finish. Then there are some of the Hazes...

4. FOR THE FUTURE:
Im looking to move into a tent in the same closet. Since space is kind of limited I want to split it into a 2 part tent so I can have a plant or 2 in veg & flower each. Could I get away with this with 2 24x30 inch tents? I know thats going to be pretty tight for 2 plants. Or should I just grow 1 big plant in each?
I grow 4 plants in 3'x3'. It is tight but works well for me.

5. FOR THE FUTURE:
Since CFLs are the very intro to lights,I know that my new tent(s) are going to have a different light set up. Im looking at going for LED lights. What sort of wattage should I have for this space, its 4.5sq ft. in each tent
Ideally you would like to have 50 true watts per square-foot.

6. FOR THE FUTURE:
Im also considering making this into a tent that is just 24x60 inches wide and having it just be either vegging or flower at one time. I know that I would need 2, possibly 3 lights for this space. Would that be good for 3-4 plants in that space or would it be still too tight?
See above.

Mars Hydro lights are a great start if you're looking to use cheap LED's with proven results, they do run a little hot (read inefficient) in comparison to some other LED's though and COB lights are being proven as the way forward due to running much more efficiently (therefore cooler) and with better penetration than multiple SMD's. If cost is of no issue you could check out some of the other manufacturers that sponsor the site, or you could look into making some DIY COB LED's yourself if that rocks your boat, whilst saving money doing so. There are both prebuilt and DIY build COB's in my current journal if that interests you.

If heat is no issue then of course you could always go the HPS route, proven quality over the years along with being a much cheaper initial cost (would cost more than LED to run though) :thumb:

Just wanted to post this quote from the mars hydro site not really looking to get in peeing match though.

"Data shows our reflector lights are selling great too. When most of LED grow light factories are making COB lights, we listen to our growers, they were paying more attention to the output, so we make the reflector light to reduce the decrease of lumens output. Result tells us that this light is better than the COB, because COB can not mix spectrums well and some time the light can not come out after double lenses. From growers review, feedback, Our reflector lights are very good for mother plants, veg stage plants, and greenhouse grow vegetables. If you grow medical plants, this light can get higher THC than other lights"

Just wanted to post this quote from the mars hydro site not really looking to get in peeing match though.

"Data shows our reflector lights are selling great too. When most of LED grow light factories are making COB lights, we listen to our growers, they were paying more attention to the output, so we make the reflector light to reduce the decrease of lumens output. Result tells us that this light is better than the COB, because COB can not mix spectrums well and some time the light can not come out after double lenses. From growers review, feedback, Our reflector lights are very good for mother plants, veg stage plants, and greenhouse grow vegetables. If you grow medical plants, this light can get higher THC than other lights"

Hey lexort420 never a peeing match and good open discussion is always welcome :thumb: I'm pretty certain that if you ask anywhere other than the Mars Hydro site (they might be a little biased) the majority of people will tell you about COB lights and the 3500k Cree (or the old CXB3070) LED's being some of the best grow LED's being available on the market.

The timing of this post is actually pretty perfect for me as I've just had a bit of an epiphany regarding the COBs v SMD and different spectrum myself. I've noticed that there has been a massive growth difference between the two lights and am wondering whether it's my underfeeding nutrients that was stalling the growth of plants under the Mars Lights, or whether some strains just really dislike the spectrum itself and prefer a more natural full colour spectrum (maybe even green light counts lol). I was just about to upload some photographs and ask the same question on my journal, feel free to have a look and let me know your thoughts, no contests ever just open minded discussion where all opinions are appreciated.

I really think these COBs are on to something, have you seen the plants grown by people using them on here? Check out Light Addict, his plants are amazing, due to his great growing skills and techniques too of course, but he also loves his COBs, of course there are many others too. All the best and let's not give the HPS the death knoll yet, they're still the best full stop :rofl:

Hey lexort420 never a peeing match and good open discussion is always welcome :thumb: I'm pretty certain that if you ask anywhere other than the Mars Hydro site (they might be a little biased) the majority of people will tell you about COB lights and the 3500k Cree (or the old CXB3070) LED's being some of the best grow LED's being available on the market.

The timing of this post is actually pretty perfect for me as I've just had a bit of an epiphany regarding the COBs v SMD and different spectrum myself. I've noticed that there has been a massive growth difference between the two lights and am wondering whether it's my underfeeding nutrients that was stalling the growth of plants under the Mars Lights, or whether some strains just really dislike the spectrum itself and prefer a more natural full colour spectrum (maybe even green light counts lol). I was just about to upload some photographs and ask the same question on my journal, feel free to have a look and let me know your thoughts, no contests ever just open minded discussion where all opinions are appreciated.

I really think these COBs are on to something, have you seen the plants grown by people using them on here? Check out Light Addict, his plants are amazing, due to his great growing skills and techniques too of course, but he also loves his COBs, of course there are many others too. All the best and let's not give the HPS the death knoll yet, they're still the best full stop :rofl:

Ya i have seen light addicts plants ive even voted for him on numerous occasions in the potm contests lol. I will admit im not as familiar with the COB leds however i do like my reflector 98 quite a bit i had been running 8-23w cfls in a small space and i can say the reflector runs cooler then the cfls did and i see better results with the led as well. I guess what didn't sit well with me in your post was calling mars hydro "cheap" i do know technically the epistar 5w's are made in taiwan but i do prefer to think of them as budget friendly lights. Ya im sure you could definitely get a waaay better light then the reflector series no doubt i just know also the price is right for what ya get. When it comes to COB leds i can't argue with ya from the light reading ive done on em so i won't even try lol.

Ya i have seen light addicts plants ive even voted for him on numerous occasions in the potm contests lol. I will admit im not as familiar with the COB leds however i do like my reflector 98 quite a bit i had been running 8-23w cfls in a small space and i can say the reflector runs cooler then the cfls did and i see better results with the led as well. I guess what didn't sit well with me in your post was calling mars hydro "cheap" i do know technically the epistar 5w's are made in taiwan but i do prefer to think of them as budget friendly lights. Ya im sure you could definitely get a waaay better light then the reflector series no doubt i just know also the price is right for what ya get. When it comes to COB leds i can't argue with ya from the light reading ive done on em so i won't even try lol.

Hey lexort when I say cheap I mean that as cheap in comparison to most other lights. Don't get me wrong I'll also state that they're fantastic entry lights into LED growing, and their value is good if your budget is limited, but budget isn't a word I use every day cheap is more in use and cheap as in value is what I meant, or I would have said cheap and nasty for sure lol. It's hard to put meanings and intent across on the internet and sometimes I just go with the flow of my fingers, I would not put anyone off using them over most other lights at that price (apart from the obvious HPS if heat/running costs are no issue) let alone the LED market. I'm always unbiased in my opinion and I don't tend to think of how my opinions come across to other readers. I do believe that COBs are worth looking into though if they have the option to do so. Sorry if I offended you, here I'll share :passitleft: :peace:

Hey lexort when I say cheap I mean that as cheap in comparison to most other lights. Don't get me wrong I'll also state that they're fantastic entry lights into LED growing, and their value is good if your budget is limited, but budget isn't a word I use every day cheap is more in use and cheap as in value is what I meant, or I would have said cheap and nasty for sure lol. It's hard to put meanings and intent across on the internet and sometimes I just go with the flow of my fingers, I would not put anyone off using them over most other lights at that price (apart from the obvious HPS if heat/running costs are no issue) let alone the LED market. I'm always unbiased in my opinion and I don't tend to think of how my opinions come across to other readers. I do believe that COBs are worth looking into though if they have the option to do so. Sorry if I offended you, here I'll share :passitleft: :peace:

Its all good brother i guess i just mistook ya no biggie at all!

Back
Top Bottom