1st Grow, 800W CMH, DIY Aero/DWC, White Widow, White Castle, M Kush, Swiss Cheese

direless

One last time!

I have started this thread twice now and have lost it by accedently switching to another thread on this site. there should be a way to save as you go but I have not yet found it.

Anyway, this is a work in progress I have mothers for cloning already going and should have grow room done in time to take clones.

this is my first grow since the seventies and is a lot different then the bagseed, pete pot, plant em outside and hope they grow style that I did then. I am doing so diy stuff and will need input on those items as well as the grow room set up. I am hoping to try somethings that are a little different, hope i am not chewing off too much.

anyway let me list my stuff.

Seeds:
All Nirvana

2- white widow
This marijuana masterpiece went on to become a yardstick against which all other “white” marijuana strains are held up. Marijuana seeds of the White Widow strain grow into tall plants with delicate arms. Her buds are moderately compact in order to contain the copious amounts of THC resin she produces. Tending toward the Cannabis Sativa side, White Widow produces a buzz that is powerful yet energizing and very social.

Seedbank Nirvana
Type Indoor
Indica / Sativa Hybrid
Feminized Yes
Yield 300 - 400
Effect Stoney and high
Grow height Medium
Flowering weeks 9 / 11 weeks

2- white castle
White Castle is an F1 marijuana hybrid of two absolute winners. With a White Widow mother and our award-winning Ice for a father, White Castle marijuana seeds are as outrageous as one would expect. The sturdier, denser structure of Ice really thickens up the often light and wispy White Widow buds. White Widow's flavour, strength, and social high remain very present in this cannabis strain. Medical marijuana users are extremely fond of White Castle for its pain-killing properties.

Seedbank Nirvana
Type Indoor
Indica / Sativa Hybrid
Feminized Yes
Yield 400 - 500
Effect Stoney and high
Grow height Medium

2- swiss cheese
Swiss Cheese is a hybrid of our discontinued marijuana strain Swiss Miss and a curious Skunk #1 phenotype that was discovered in the UK and smuggled to Amsterdam in 2007. A mix of a very early Swiss Skunk and a robust cannabis strain from Nepal, Swiss Miss contributes an “old school” flavour that makes Swiss Cheese cannabis unique. These marijuana seeds are mould resistant and beginner friendly.

Seedbank Nirvana
Type Outdoor
Indica / Sativa Hybrid
Feminized Yes
Yield 400 - 500
Effect Stoney and high
Grow height Medium
Flowering weeks 7 / 8 weeks

3- Master Kush
First called High Rise, this strain of marijuana was developed in one of the tall buildings in Amsterdam's Bijlmer area. Coffeeshop owners and marijiuana lovers alike fell head over heels in love with this exclusive tetraploid cannabis strain. By popular demand, this Hindu Kush / Skunk hybrid was stabilized and marketed, and it has been a classic ever since. Seeds develop into strong plants of medium height and bushiness. Master Kush is a heavy producer which thrives in soil, hydro and greenhouse growing systems. It has a pleasantly earthy, mossy smell and its smoke is smooth.

Seedbank Nirvana
Type Indoor/Outdoor
Indica / Sativa Hybrid
Feminized Yes
Yield 400 - 500
Effect Stoney and high
Grow height Medium

Grow Room is 5.5x6.5x7 with a veg/flower space of 3x6 and a 2x2x3 cabinet for mothers with a full spectrum light by Verilux called nutralux with 3 2' bulbs and 4 26w cfls (see pics)

Equipment:
2-400w ceramic metal halide bulbs (open rated)
2-sunlight air coolable hoods (hopefully will not use glass)
4-diy aero/dwc tubs (still working on the prototype)
1-diy chiller res (approximately 70 gals) more on this later
1- sentinel chhc-1 controller (temp, humidity and co2)
1- drt digital controller for pumps
1- ecoplus 15 amp digital light timer
1- ecoplus carbon filter (18"x24" with 6" flange)
1- hydro farms inlane 8" fan
1- no name ebay muti meter (ppm, temp, ph) not sure this works well, we'll see
Ph up
ph down
ph 7.01 and ph 4.01 to calibrate
ph 1500 ppm to calibrate
using Advance Nutrients Sensi A&B and Conosiour A&B

So, started mothers on April 21st planted 10 seeds directly into starter pots with bato from Nirvana seeds and got 9 babies. They did great until I transplanted them March 6th into jiffy pots with jiffy organic soil and a soil amendment call Bio-tone it contains mycorrhizae with 4-3-3 analysis as well as beneficial bacteria. I probably would still not had problems if I had not tried to use this stuff as a nutrient by mixing it in h2o, but alas I did and suffered some pretty serious nute burn. so I flushed heavily and was just using h2o when I suffered nitrogen deficiency so I started using the advance nutrients at about 1/3 strength and they came around really well. I just up the ppm from about 300to around 800 and they seem to like that as well.

so, lets try some pics:

these are the girls
DSCF14391.jpg

DSCF14381.jpg

1st_grow_2010_001.jpg

individuals
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/1st_grow_2010_010.jpg
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/1st_grow_2010_003.jpg
1st_grow_2010_002.jpg

1st_grow_2010_006.jpg

1st_grow_2010_007.jpg

1st_grow_2010_009.jpg

1st_grow_2010_005.jpg

1st_grow_2010_004.jpg

The Nursery
1st_grow_2010_012.jpg

1st_grow_2010_011.jpg

Re: 1st grow, 800w CMH, diy aero/dwc, wh wido, wh castle, m kush, swiss cheese

direless My Good Man. :thumb:
Fantastic Introduction to your Grow.
Gaving your Plant traits is great Information to start.
This May Help... I always have two 420's open, one minimized for research and one for posting. Switching back and forth as needed. Just a Thought?
I am tuned in here Friend.
Happy Growin' :goodjob:
:yummy: :bravo:

thank you I just got done doing that and I appreciate the fast response, perhaps you can give me some help with posting pics. I have followed the post pics directions but still only get the url and img

One last time!

I have started this thread twice now and have lost it by accedently switching to another thread on this site. there should be a way to save as you go but I have not yet found it.

Anyway, this is a work in progress I have mothers for cloning already going and should have grow room done in time to take clones.

this is my first grow since the seventies and is a lot different then the bagseed, pete pot, plant em outside and hope they grow style that I did then. I am doing so diy stuff and will need input on those items as well as the grow room set up. I am hoping to try somethings that are a little different, hope i am not chewing off too much.

anyway let me list my stuff.

Seeds:
All Nirvana

2- white widow
This marijuana masterpiece went on to become a yardstick against which all other "white" marijuana strains are held up. Marijuana seeds of the White Widow strain grow into tall plants with delicate arms. Her buds are moderately compact in order to contain the copious amounts of THC resin she produces. Tending toward the Cannabis Sativa side, White Widow produces a buzz that is powerful yet energizing and very social.

Seedbank Nirvana
Type Indoor
Indica / Sativa Hybrid
Feminized Yes
Yield 300 - 400
Effect Stoney and high
Grow height Medium

2- white castle
White Castle is an F1 marijuana hybrid of two absolute winners. With a White Widow mother and our award-winning Ice for a father, White Castle marijuana seeds are as outrageous as one would expect. The sturdier, denser structure of Ice really thickens up the often light and wispy White Widow buds. White Widow's flavour, strength, and social high remain very present in this cannabis strain. Medical marijuana users are extremely fond of White Castle for its pain-killing properties.

Seedbank Nirvana
Type Indoor
Indica / Sativa Hybrid
Feminized Yes
Yield 400 - 500
Effect Stoney and high
Grow height Medium

2- swiss cheese
Swiss Cheese is a hybrid of our discontinued marijuana strain Swiss Miss and a curious Skunk #1 phenotype that was discovered in the UK and smuggled to Amsterdam in 2007. A mix of a very early Swiss Skunk and a robust cannabis strain from Nepal, Swiss Miss contributes an "old school" flavour that makes Swiss Cheese cannabis unique. These marijuana seeds are mould resistant and beginner friendly.

Seedbank Nirvana
Type Outdoor
Indica / Sativa Hybrid
Feminized Yes
Yield 400 - 500
Effect Stoney and high
Grow height Medium
Flowering weeks 7 / 8 weeks

3- Master Kush
First called High Rise, this strain of marijuana was developed in one of the tall buildings in Amsterdam's Bijlmer area. Coffeeshop owners and marijiuana lovers alike fell head over heels in love with this exclusive tetraploid cannabis strain. By popular demand, this Hindu Kush / Skunk hybrid was stabilized and marketed, and it has been a classic ever since. Seeds develop into strong plants of medium height and bushiness. Master Kush is a heavy producer which thrives in soil, hydro and greenhouse growing systems. It has a pleasantly earthy, mossy smell and its smoke is smooth.

Seedbank Nirvana
Type Indoor/Outdoor
Indica / Sativa Hybrid
Feminized Yes
Yield 400 - 500
Effect Stoney and high
Grow height Medium

Grow Room is 5.5x6.5x7 with a veg/flower space of 3x6 and a 2x2x3 cabinet for mothers with a full spectrum light by Verilux called nutralux with 3 2' bulbs and 4 26w cfls (see pics)

Equipment:
2-400w ceramic metal halide bulbs (open rated)
2-sunlight air coolable hoods (hopefully will not use glass)
4-diy aero/dwc tubs (still working on the prototype)
1-diy chiller res (approximately 70 gals) more on this later
1- sentinel chhc-1 controller (temp, humidity and co2)
1- drt digital controller for pumps
1- ecoplus 15 amp digital light timer
1- ecoplus carbon filter (18"x24" with 6" flange)
1- hydro farms inlane 8" fan
1- no name ebay muti meter (ppm, temp, ph) not sure this works well, we'll see
Ph up
ph down
ph 7.01 and ph 4.01 to calibrate
ph 1500 ppm to calibrate
using Advance Nutrients Sensi A&B and Conosiour A&B

So, started mothers on April 21st planted 10 seeds directly into starter pots with bato from Nirvana seeds and got 9 babies. They did great until I transplanted them March 6th into jiffy pots with jiffy organic soil and a soil amendment call Bio-tone it contains mycorrhizae with 4-3-3 analysis as well as beneficial bacteria. I probably would still not had problems if I had not tried to use this stuff as a nutrient by mixing it in h2o, but alas I did and suffered some pretty serious nute burn. so I flushed heavily and was just using h2o when I suffered nitrogen deficiency so I started using the advance nutrients at about 1/3 strength and they came around really well. I just up the ppm from about 300to around 800 and they seem to like that as well.

so, lets try some pics:

these are the girls
DSCF14391.jpg

DSCF14381.jpg

1st_grow_2010_001.jpg

individuals
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/1st_grow_2010_010.jpg
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/1st_grow_2010_003.jpg
1st_grow_2010_002.jpg

1st_grow_2010_006.jpg

1st_grow_2010_007.jpg

1st_grow_2010_009.jpg

1st_grow_2010_005.jpg

1st_grow_2010_004.jpg

The Nursery
1st_grow_2010_012.jpg

1st_grow_2010_011.jpg

well that all for now I will update on my aero/dwc later with pics and pics of plants as well as the grow area

Thanks weed pipe and the weed I hope to post some pics later as I believe I am having some ph problems. I have been serching for ph of soil, I know that I have read somewhere but cannot find now. I believe it should be around 6.2- 6.7. if anyone can confirm that it would be great. I will keep looking

Thanks weed, that was the thread I was looking for, please stay tuned I am going to upload some pics showing the problems I am having.

well here are some shots of the problem, I have been feeding them with advance nutes, the last feeding was at 800 ppm at a ph of 6.5, I have been watering with nutes every watering(once a day when very dried out)but at about 350ppm, until the last watering they looked much better after suffering a number of issues discussed earlier so I upped the ppms.
As a reaction to this increased chlorosis I did a test flush on the first plant pictured (the droopy one) to which I had added a .25 tsp of epsom salt to 1gal of ro h20 and the run off ph was aroung 6.9 and I have not seen any real improvement so far (only been a couple hours) My temps have been in the 70's and rh has be around 40 but can drop to the low thirties when I air it out to cool room temp. I am presently planing on leaching once they dry out with ph corrected h2o. I am encountering a number of issues, hope I am just over reacting :rollingeyes:

18910.jpg

18810.jpg

18710.jpg

18610.jpg

18510.jpg

18210.jpg

May be time for bigger pots. What's your plan, Time Frame intil you Get them in DWC/Aero Set-up?
:peace:

Hey weed, my wife thought the same thing. I hope to have hydro set up withing a couple weeks at the out side. I don't think these mothers are big enough to take a good cutting yet. I am also still looking at chiller options so need to decide, I was thinking about a diy air conditoner but i have the $ and will probably get either an active aqua or eco plus, not sure about the active aqua which is freon free sounds good but not familiar with it's operation.

oh yea, i have yet to see any roots peaking out which is what I was waiting for to repot

well I transplanted just one of my plants to see how and it is looking really sad, I am hoping it just transplant shock. I did not have any of the recomended soils you find in this forum, so I used what I had. Some starter soil which I had used as part of the first transplant and then some compost/manure I had laying around which I baked for an hr. at 450 to kill anything that might have found it's way into the medium and finally I used some MG perlite which I rinsed thoroughly as well as some bio-tone starter food (4-3-3 with mychorrazae and bacteria) at about 1/3 strength. Mixed it thoroughly and place my 3" starter root ball into an 8" pot which I hope will be the mothers home for her duration.

I will add pics later as well as the rest of my set-up/ the 4 aero/dwc setting in a chiller rez which has been maintaining a temp of 60deg F an a grow area that will grow with my plants as well a have co2 pumped into it with my 2 ceramic metal halide lights.

I am also going to try an get some signitures added and hopefully get more interactive with other journals (looking to be involved and recruit some more input on my operation).

Well I am back, day 32 of veg for my mothers. Finally got some decent soil for transplanting and should have all mothers in new pots today. I am hoping to take cuttings for clones next weekend and get everything up and running. I will up load pics and describe my grow set up in the upcomming entries as well as some new pics of my girls.

well I got my pics uploaded, this journaling can be quite a bit of work, but as I get a handle on the process I am getting better.
I hope that I don't prove to be a little too pic happy, but as I was researching journals I found that pics were the most helpful to me, so I am trying to record as much info as possible both for those researching and for my personal records.

pics anyone?

Here are the girls (mothers) day 32 since I planted seed
DSCF15411.jpg

Now for individual shots, please forgive the cropping, it occured when I resized

DSCF15371.jpg
This one I transplanted into a soil concoction I made and as you can see she did not really like it, but she is comming back:cheer:
DSCF15361.jpg
DSCF15311.jpg

DSCF1528.jpg
DSCF1527.jpg

DSCF1526.jpg
DSCF15241.jpg

18711.jpg

well somehow (lol) I missed a picture of one of the girls, but as you can see except for the past abused I inflicted they are doing pretty well, perhaps a little small for 1 month.

So now some pics of my set up

out side the closet (5.5x6.5x7) light tight and pretty air tight
DSCF1549.jpg

here is the overall view of he the grow area, the bed everything is sitting in is my chiller rez. filled with about 45 gals. of h2o which four aero/dwc tub will fit. the holding temp so far in that rez which is exposed to the lights at this point has been 60deg F. I expect that will climb when I but the hydro tubs with their pumps into the rez. also you can see that the roof rests on the hoods and that and the side wall which opens will raise up as the plants grow keeping the space as small as I can to maintain levels of co2 without running the generator more then I have to.
DSCF1561.jpg

You can also see that I have fans attached to each hood which do not have glass (I am hoping to maximize on UVB's) and the other end of the hood is capped. I draw air from the vent holes on the far side of the rex to maintain temp without exhausting the room to much again to maintain CO2 levels.

here's a better shot of my DIY inline fans which I salvaged from a couple of thirft store humidifiers, they exhaust the heat from the cmh bulbs out of the grow area
DSCF1559.jpg

this beast of a filter and the 720 cfm inline fan will empty the room 2.6 times a minute and can drop the temp in the room 10deg in about 10 mins.
DSCF1545.jpg

here is a pic of the brains of the operation a sentinel chhc-1 monitor and the water cooled minigen CO2 which will be hooked up today (I will be very interested in seeing the growth difference once I get it running). In addition to these I also have a sentinel drt-1 digital timer for aero/dws pumps and an the ecoplus digital light timer. the sentinel chhc will have a dedicated electrical outlet as well as the ballasts and then I have another line of juice for fans and miscellaneous.
DSCF1546.jpg

I am running ceramic metal halide bulbs which have a very full spectrum but require the old style ballasts which are a bit noisy, here you see them on a shelf at the top of the room but should be moving outside today as well (that is if I ever get this journal update done lol).
DSCF1547.jpg

Now here's a look at the aero/dwc tub I built, this one has some holes in from my original prototype using a cheap manifold for micro sprinkler system from lowes, trust me do not waste your time the design I stole from a diy sight and seems to work really good. I may add an air pump to the tank if it seems necessary somewhere down the line.
12513.jpg

I plan to only put 2 plants per tub now but built them so I could add more for a scrog set up later.
The insides, I am using the ecoplus 396gph and get a very nice fine spray. I also still need to add float valves so I can auto fill as they drink they are on the way.
12611.jpg

The next two pics show the mother ship, this is a 2'x2'x3' cabinet that was used as the nursery for the mothers and will hold them for future cloning or as a nursery for new seedlings. The lights are a veralux full spectrum light box that was originally purchase to help with SAD but has proven to be great for plants this is supplemented with 4-26watt cfl 2700k in fish tank hoods(the each hold two bulbs) the whole thing is held up by a file cabinet file holder but the lights will be more permently mounted in the cabinet once I remove the drawer and replace the face plate to the drawer over the drawer opening.
DSCF1554.jpg
DSCF1553.jpg

Finally! I purchased this soil from a local nursery 70-80% canadian sphagnum moss with plus grade vermiculite and dolomite lime and calcitrate for ph balance. this is primarily a gemination medium without any time release nutes. I will add some compost and manure as well as some perlite and a small dose of Epsoma's organic 4-3-3 fert with mycorrhizae and beneficial bacteria
12811.jpg

So I am off to transplant the rest of the girls and hope to be able to get cuttings next weekend (hope that is not too much stress in too short a time) wish me luck:grinjoint:

Well, I did it again, punched the wrong key and lost my entry and I am not even sure which key did this:scratchinghead:

Anyway, I got everything up and running with the exception of my aero tubs. Once I hooked up the minigen CO2 generator the temps in the rez jump like 30 degrees now running at 90-95 which is way too warm for my nute rez tanks even for starting clones. I guess a chiller is going to have to be ordered and clone cuttings are going to have to be put on hold.

I am pleased at how well the open hoods with my DIY inline fans are working this keeps the grow area within my dead band a lot longer even with the ambient room temp running 10 degrees warmer. Because I am keeping the grow area closed off and exhausting the room only when the grow area drops below 84 degree allowing the mean CO2 levels to remaing pretty high 1250 range for mean with highs of 1500 and lows of 750ppm

I may also need to get a humidifier as the mean rh is only around 37 which would be good for flowering but should be around 50 for veg.
However, the plants have really taken to the CO2 and a good dose of nutes they all look very healthy, even the white castle that suffered from being transplanted into a poor soil concoction I made up. But I dialed the soil in and all the transplants took very well here take a look
DSCF1622.jpg
DSCF1621.jpg

DSCF1618.jpg
DSCF1619.jpg

DSCF1616.jpg
DSCF1611.jpg

DSCF16091.jpg
DSCF16081.jpg

DSCF1599.jpg

Well I do have to decide on what to do here, I could order my chiller and stay on track with my original plan, which was to take clones from the best plants here 2 from each variety and start them in the aero tubs, veg for 3-4 weeks and then run them right threw flowering and establish a cycle like that. However, I am feeling impatient and also desiring to experiment with more varieties. So I could order new seed and get them started while I take these girls to flower. I would need to set up a veg room for the new seedlings, perhaps in the nursery cabinet which might be a little small
(2x2x3) to sprout and veg for 8-9 weeks while I flower these. I could buy a small tent and then lights t5 or cfls but space and money are running out.
I do want to get a permanent cycle going so I am harvesting regularly and be able to regularly introduce new varieties into my mix. The whole point of my set up was to allow me to grow different varieties in there own aero tub so I could adjust nutes specifically for each variety while giving them a full spectrum light from clone/seed to flowering.

Alas, the hardest part of this grow is the decision making and of course reading all the great journals here keeps stimulating new ideas to decide on. Oh the horror, the pain, I am sure glad I enjoy all this:reading420magazine:

Well I decided, I looked at the calander and the plants, saw 7weeks since planting, and decided to take clones then flower everything else in soil. They are getting pretty big, but I am going to try and Scrog them in 3 seperat nets anyway using Papa Greens clothesline Scrog. Might get a bit unruly, but otherwise I will have trees.

I have canned my idea of chilling a rez in which my aero/dwc tubs would set in that would also chill my lights and Co2. It seems that the aquarium type chillers can have a hard time keeping up with the heat that is being produced by all the heat exchangers. And, I just don't have 2gs to spend on a good chiller.
I am exploring the idea of using my 700gal backyard pond as rez, using a gravity feed flow from the pond into a tank outside my grow room with a pump for the pond and the grow. The plumbing and flow logistics could be a nightmare. I am going to keep an eye on the ambient temp of the pond. I also have an old AC that I will play with and see if I can get it to work as a chiller (found this in the DIY section of 420), but not sure it has the BTU's to do the job.

So, I have replaced the glass in my hoods (I will give up the lumens and UVB's) ran duct from under the floor (a 1ft air space 6.5'x20') into the lights and venting out at the ceiling into my mudroom. I have moved the ballasts into the mud room as well and bought a 45 gal rez to chill my minigen Co2 generator which will be in the mud room
(it is recommended to have 100 gals but the mud room stays pretty cool so I hope that will be enough). I will have to close off the mudroom to general access because the noise is getting pretty loud and with the venting there was an odor. This made me start running my carbon scrubber full time venting into the grow room, and I now need an electric damper to allow me to control temps by swithing the carbon scrubber between venting indoors and venting outdoors (venting outdoors drops Co2 down into the 600ppm range and it takes a good 10 mins for the minigen to return levels into the 1300-1500ppm range). In addition I am going to add another inline fan for a forced intake (another trip to the thrift store for a humidifier to salvage the fan from, probably get two and run one as a humidfier, but with flowering I won't need it until next crop). Hopefully, this will hold me through the flowering stage as it should run into July(poor planning on my part, but whats a newb to do)when the temps start hitting the 90's.

Well let me show you my grow room changes:
the hood ducting
DSCF1784.jpg

the intake
DSCF1785.jpg

my diy inline fan that works as the exhaust for the hoods, that is a fan I salvaged from a thrift store humidifier (the don't loose as much cfm under a load) that is housed inside of two 8" to 6" duct reducers.
DSCF1782.jpg

here is my first diy inline fan for a forced intake (not so pretty, but works)
DSCF1783.jpg

So I guess I will show the plants, the cabinet they are infront of is standard cabinet height and they are sitting on a tub 1ft' high
Master Kush this ones a real tree
DSCF1641.jpg

This one was labeled white castle, but was clearly mislabeled and in past pics you will see this has been through a bit of abuse but is looking great now.
DSCF1639.jpg

another MK
DSCF1638.jpg

last MK
DSCF1640.jpg

Swiss Cheese
DSCF1636.jpg

Swiss Cheese
DSCF1635.jpg

White Castle
DSCF1634.jpg

White Widow
DSCF1632.jpg

White Widow
DSCF1630.jpg

Group shot
DSCF1625.jpg

Well thats it for now, I am off to drain the rez the plants are sitting on which is cooling the minigen and running at about 120 degrees. should help with air temps LOL. I also got those Scrogs to build and hopefully I will be in flower by tues. allowing for a 30hr initial dark period to prepare plants for flower and then it is fun fun fun trying to get those bud sites exposed to that 800 watts of CMH lights....wish me luck and I will see you next week.

Just a little hint. While in the veg stage, especially early, plants don't need much or / if any nutrients. If you use miracle grow potting soil with 1/4 worm castings and half perlite, that's all they need!:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom