1st Time Grower - Blue Mystic Indoor June 2012

Researching the particulars of a strain is really good advice, WizHigh. Thanks! That never occurred to me.

Looking forward to sering updates on Amsterdam 28's grow . . .

Thanks for your kind words buddy:)
I started my LSt a little later than most, and this is why she has 12 primary branches and 3 secondary branches as big as the main branches!! Lookin forward to see how much bud these grow.. At 1 ft, your plant maybe a little too big now to LST, you can, but it maybe a bit long as now her stem may be fairly strong yeah??
If you top it, which id say would prob be best for you, its easy too, LST and topping are the easiest methods..
You need to take the top cola off,and the shoots either side of the top cola will shortly begin to grow up as 2 main cola's and you should end up with a nice plant. But i usually let em grow as natural as possible, this the first time ive LST'd.
Hope this helps you?? GOOD LUCK MATE!! Smokem..

the stock is very strong, im thinking it will snap so i was just going to bend it little day by day. i did my research on LST to learn more about it. i just found out that i had a zinc problem. my new grpwth are bunching up and leaves turning yellow so i got some zinc suplimment pills. see were that goes after a couple days. its hard trying to keep your PH right in soil. also the nutes are everything. im not liking floranova thats when i start having yhese problems. i was usong fish ferts. im goibg back to it. I feel like you " not worried about the harvest just a healthy plant" great words to use newbies

Researching the particulars of a strain is really good advice, WizHigh. Thanks! That never occurred to me.

Looking forward to sering updates on Amsterdam 28's grow . . .

No problem. i know how it is us newbies have to play catch up and learn alot but well progress as we go. if your doing soil get a good PH tester and find some PH Up & Down organic mix. i picked some up at homedepot. keep your eye on the PH level ots real important. get one for liquid to so u know what your putting in your soil

Hey guys, so it feels like I am getting closer and closer to my first harvest and I'm definitely struggling to remain patient. Before I put up some pics I just wanted to comment on the LST questions and comments here. I honestly start topping my plants at 3 or 4 nodes and begin LST'ing as soon as the plant is about 3" tall. Once I am confident I can start pulling on it without pulling up roots, the strings go on. Oh, that's another thing. I have switched from using cut up pieces of hanger to using string secured with binders. I find that the string is easier to adjust and since I secure it to the side of the pot rather than pushing down into the dirt I don't have to worry about disturbing the roots or anything. My objective for LST'ing is mainly to keep my canopy all the same height so that I can keep my lights low and even.

In these yellow pots the plant on the left is a fresh clone which hasn't really started growing yet so I have left it alone, but the one on the right I am already bending over to keep them relatively close in height. You can use the binder on the side of the pot as a reference for how short this plant actually is but I have already bent it over quite a bit.
DSC_008115.jpg

In the blue pots the only one not being tied down so far is the one in the back left (not in the grey pot, I'm still talking about just the blue ones) since it is a relatively fresh clone that hasn't taken hold to well yet. Just to give you can idea of how early I start doing it and the result I am going for.
DSC_008015.jpg

Same plants but from looking straight down angle
DSC_007915.jpg

Back to my current grow....

I decided to cut one of the small popcorn buds to practice manicuring and drying before I start chopping the rest of the plant in the next week or 2. As you can see the bud is only about the size of one of the binders I use when tying string down (I decided I will also use them to tie stems to the string for hanging).
DSC_008114.jpg
DSC_007914.jpg

Here's a little bit closer up on the trichomes. It seems like the plant is looking more and more frosty all the time. I also got a free 30x loupe today at the hydro shop which is a million times easier to use than my 60x-100x microscope, so I took a peek and I'd say the lower leaves have about 30-40% amber trichs, but the closer you get to the top of the cola the more that drops off to as little as 5%.

DSC_008314.jpg
DSC_008710.jpg

I also picked up some Ona Pro Gel to help with the smell and I can already tell it is working wonders. It came in a big bucket but I just put a small amount in a dish in my flowering space and it completely covers the smell! This was really beginning to be a concern as my girl is approaching harvest time, but not any more. The bucket cost like $40, but the amount I put in the dish wasn't even 1% of the total amount. Now let's just see how long it last before I need to add more. I'll keep you updated on that if it becomes an issue.

As always, thanks for the comments and the love! :thumb:

Looks super, A28! The clones look really good! And the bud looks awesome. I can't wait for your harvest and hearing how you enjoy the fruits of your labor. Great job! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Quick question: what kind of flourescents are your T5s? Are they grow lights?

Thanks Jenjen, I am really excited about the clones. It just feels good knowing my next grow will be all females!

About the T5, here are the details from the website:

Commercial T5 2FT 4 Tube
Price: $113.99

Ask a question about this product
T5 Fluorescent Light System
Hydrofarm's newest T5 System delivers performance, flexibility and high lumen output in any growing environment. These systems allow you to choose multiple hanging configurations to meet your garden's design. They combine German specular aluminum with energy-efficient/high-output T5 bulbs and put out double the light energy of normal fluorescent systems.

Lumen output rated up to 8000
Powder coated, pre-galvanized steel housing
UL Listed ballast with 5 year warranty
Low profile
Hangs 3 ways - overhead, vertical or horizontal
10' grounded power cord
Includes 4 fluorescent 6400K, T5 tubes
-

3"H x 13½"W x 23"L

After I posted my question to you, I surfed around for a while and found the Hydrofarm system. The HPS light I have puts out way too much heat for my small grow area, so I decided to scale back. Clearly you've done very well with your system. Did you use the same lights for the entire grow, or different ones for veg and flower?

Thanks for writing about the odor control you found.

Oh, and a funny essay about pot: Opinion | How Pot Helps Parenting

"I’ve heard that even a small amount of marijuana can impair short-term memory function. It might also affect short-term memory function." lol, nice article.

I am only using the T5 for veg along with 3 supplementary 23w cfls which help get light to two mother plants I am starting on the side. For flower I have a 200w CFL with 2 supplementary cfl's, but honestly I can't remember their output at the moment. Those additional cfl's are to help get the lower part of my plants which are naturally further away from the main bulb. I wanted to go HPS for my flower space, but the guy at my hydro shop warned that without proper ventilation or some kind of cooling setup it was going to increase temps a lot. Since I have a small space and can't really pump the hot air anywhere else (just the nature of my closet in my condo), he helped me decide that the large cfl was the right choice. The way he explained it was that the benefit I would gain from having HPS over cfl might be wiped out from all the heat stress the plants would have to endure. It might even be counterproductive if temps got too hot.

Thanks Ajagunle.

When I checked on my girl this morning I noticed a few more yellow leaves and just kinda felt like the time was right. I want to give her a couple days of complete darkness before I chop her and hang her to dry but ran into an issue. I can't just turn off the light in my flower room because there is another plant in there which is about 1 month behind (the one LST'd in the shape of an X). So I decided to repurpose the cardboard box I was going to use for the drying process and make it a little dark room for the next 2 days (the string you see in the pic is where the stems will hang from eventually). The plant wouldn't fit in there as is, so I removed all the string and hangers used to LST and kinda bent the stem so that it would go in. Lucky for me I had a small plant to start with ;-)

DSC_008016.jpg

So no updates on this one until at least Monday. In the mean time I decided I need to fill some more pots in the veg space and decided to take a bunch of clones off the 2 mothers I have. Well one of them is more of a "potential mother" since I still haven't sexed it yet, but it has grown so amazingly from seed that I decided if it is a female I will keep it as a mother plant. I took a clone from it about a week ago and as soon as it is rooted I will put it to 12/12 and solve the mystery. However, I figured I might as well take clippings from it now and as soon as the sex is discovered I will either keep them all or trash them all. I have developed a simple color coded system to keep track of which clones go with which mother so there is no confusion later since I am also sexing another plant grown from seed the same way.

OK, I'm rambling. Here's a shot of the clones. Time to go watch some football.
DSC_007916.jpg

Hey A28, if you got your seeds from an online seedbank, do you mind telling me which one? I apologize if that's an inapprpriate question, but your first grow is so good.

College football fan?

Hey A28, if you got your seeds from an online seedbank, do you mind telling me which one? I apologize if that's an inapprpriate question, but your first grow is so good.

College football fan?

If you are looking for seed bank that's reliable, Herbie's is excellent. Low prices, free extra seeds with every order, discreet shipping. Just giving my 2 cents.

I bought mine from maryjanesgarden.com Simple and quick, didn't have a single complaint.

I prefer NFL to college, but I just love football in general. You a fan as well?

College mostly, although I'm increasingly irritated by the amount of money and profit riding on the backs of young men who get comparatively little. At least the NFL is clear about being a business.

I haven't heard about marjanesgarden.com, but I'll give it a look. Thanks for suggesting Herbies, Heirloom. I've seen their ads but haven't read any reviews of them. I'll give them a look, too.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend.

HARVEST TIME!!!!

Back on Saturday morning I put the girl in a cardboard box that was blacked out so she could get 2 days of darkness before I chopped her down. Today I opened the box and began chopping!

Here's the first stem with the largest two colas on it before any manicuring

DSC_008017.jpg

After trimming one of the colas

DSC_008116.jpg

Both trimmed

DSC_00847.jpg
DSC_008711.jpg

Hanging on the string to dry

DSC_00898.jpg

Smaller stems

DSC_00937.jpg
DSC_00948.jpg

The last stem to get chopped before and after

DSC_009711.jpg
DSC_009910.jpg

And here is the total harvest hanging to dry

DSC_01008.jpg

Today was so much fun, cutting the plant, trimming the buds, saving the trim, scraping the scissor hash...I know some of these things will be tedious down the road, but damn it I had some great fun doing it this morning :slide:

Also, the little popcorn nug I clipped and hung a few days ago was also dry enough to put into a jar to start the curing process. The stem was brittle enough to break so in it went, I will keep you guys posted on how that one goes since it will be the first bud I try from my grow. Once it's all dry I will weigh it and let you know how much this first girl got me. Thanks as always for checking out my grow :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom