1st time grower need could use some help

NicStik

420 Member
So I have two strawberry cough fem photos from 420 and i'm not sure if I over watered or underwatered. The tips on the seedlings turning yellow and the big one is just dying
Ph is 6-6.8
Using Happy frog in 3.5 gal fabric pots.
Should I just toss the big one or do yall think it can bounce back?
21717A30-868F-4595-976F-8AF95B553D4D.jpeg
E70F3A3D-FB7E-4DD4-A2AE-8F477C0B90F5.jpeg
8635D7A7-AF63-4241-BBB5-B80B05F811AB.jpeg

Ok we will get you tuned up but for now you are killing them with love and too much water. It’s cool most of us did the same thing! You can’t give too much water at once cuz it just drains out the bottom but if you don’t wait for soil to dry out like really dry out all the way to the bottom of the container then that’s a big problem. So you are overwatering in that sense.

Gravity works…. so when the top inch of soil is dry, the bottom is still very much wet, the roots need air but oxygen can’t move thru a continuously wet or damp soil. Tell me more about the gallon water misting thing - is it a hand pump sprayer that you mist the plants with or is it a humidifer?

that bigger plant should be able to go 5 to 7 days easy with no water added… maybe even longer. This is called the wet dry cycle and plants need to see both ends of the spectrum. Now if you were in a living organic soil you could water more frequently but that’s not where you are.

there is an article by 420 member Emilya that will help you. I feel confident the same problem is going on with your seedling. A tiny seedling needs tiny water, if you continually supply everything the plants need immediately then the roots become lazy and don’t learn how to search for water. Anyway here is link for article…. Proper way to water a potted plant

try to keep them alive, you will learn something but I would prepare to pop another bean if you have ample space

Ok we will get you tuned up but for now you are killing them with love and too much water. It’s cool most of us did the same thing! You can’t give too much water at once cuz it just drains out the bottom but if you don’t wait for soil to dry out like really dry out all the way to the bottom of the container then that’s a big problem. So you are overwatering in that sense.

Gravity works…. so when the top inch of soil is dry, the bottom is still very much wet, the roots need air but oxygen can’t move thru a continuously wet or damp soil. Tell me more about the gallon water misting thing - is it a hand pump sprayer that you mist the plants with or is it a humidifer?

that bigger plant should be able to go 5 to 7 days easy with no water added… maybe even longer. This is called the wet dry cycle and plants need to see both ends of the spectrum. Now if you were in a living organic soil you could water more frequently but that’s not where you are.

there is an article by 420 member Emilya that will help you. I feel confident the same problem is going on with your seedling. A tiny seedling needs tiny water, if you continually supply everything the plants need immediately then the roots become lazy and don’t learn how to search for water. Anyway here is link for article…. Proper way to water a potted plant

try to keep them alive, you will learn something but I would prepare to pop another bean if you have ample space
You may be right. But I think that depends on how much water he's been giving the plants. They look dry as hell to me.
I was thinking the opposite of what you're thinking. (because it reminds me of drooping leaves to the extreme)
I'm also wondering what the white stuff is on the leaves of the 2nd pic ?
What are the Temps & Humidity like ?
What kind of light, watts of the light & how high is it ?
Are you using any nutes ?
All things that need to be known to really pin point things.

Thank you Buds you make most excellent points - it could be severely underwatered, and I just re-read the part about the op hasn’t used the whole gallon yet. A sprayer does distribute the water very well which is great but the bad part is not knowing the volume of water given in one watering session. Might help to use a quart pump spray bottle but only put 2 ounces or whatevs in at one time.

the only tools we have to help are words & pictures, I try hard to get it right yet I do make crap tons of mistakes but that’s the beauty of this place, we are free to disagree and speak our minds because we all see things slightly different.

So yep you bet I welcome Buds comments even if it means that I screwed the pooch!!! This is how we learn.

another thing that just caught my eye is the depth of the plant / soil level in relation to the smart pot, roll that fabric pot down to about 1 inch above the soil level

Thank you Buds you make most excellent points - it could be severely underwatered, and I just re-read the part about the op hasn’t used the whole gallon yet. A sprayer does distribute the water very well which is great but the bad part is not knowing the volume of water given in one watering session. Might help to use a quart pump spray bottle but only put 2 ounces or whatevs in at one time.

the only tools we have to help are words & pictures, I try hard to get it right yet I do make crap tons of mistakes but that’s the beauty of this place, we are free to disagree and speak our minds because we all see things slightly different.

So yep you bet I welcome Buds comments even if it means that I screwed the pooch!!! This is how we learn
You may be right & I could be wrong. I guess it all depends on what we find out next from the OP as far as watering, lights, environment. Hard to know anything for sure without all the info.

Can you reply back with the age of the plants and if they are in the same soil since seed germination?

The large plant looks like it was re-potted recently- but its very dry, a good drenching with 6.3PH water may liven it up. The small plant has slowed down or stopped chlorophyll generation in the leaves possibly due to high water PH or lack of nutrients (magnesium, nitrogen).

The Happy Frog generic feeding schedule recommends starting some type of nutrient program by week 3. Also as mentioned water PH should be 6.3, look into adding Cal-Mag with water also.

PLease let me clarify... it looks like you are watering too often (before the bottom has dried out), therefore, you are overwatering.

You are not watering to runoff each time, thinking you are not overwatering that way, but in actuality, you are thinking for the plant by trying to judge how much water it needs. By not giving enough water via your mister so that the water can seep down to the bottom easily, thereby showing your tap/feeder roots where to go, you have forced the plant to live only in the top section of your soil. Since your small amount of water quickly drops to the bottom of the container due to gravity, your plant then looks like it is in a drought, not being able to get to the water sitting in the bottom.

Please also read my article on how to properly water a small plant in a large container of soil. Here you will find the final clues to watering this plant so that it can thrive.

Sorry for late reply been working but my temps stay at 70-80 my rh 40-55 i use bottled nutes 3 part grow micro bloom and cal mag haven't given any to the seedling only ph water and I recently gave the big one a nice watering with ph 6.2 and nutes
I haven't kept the best time track of them but i would guess a month it's growth has stopped for a minute now. Someone mentioned my seedling may need nutes should I mix ph water and cal mag for my seedlings?

Looks bone ass dry to me.
Id say water them.

From what I've seen the past few years about 80% of people have been scared to water because it gets beaten into them that over watering is what every n00b grower does and kills their plant.
So most people over compensate.

Fact is over watering is never really the problem unless you're insane and go berserk with it.
The problem is "lack of oxygen" and thats because the chosen medium is shit not because you're watering too much.
In coco, hempy or a properly done living Organic Soil its damn near impossible to overwater in fabric pots unless you're just an idiot and drowning them.
The medium just needs proper aeration and you can water daily without a care in the world.

Back
Top Bottom