1st time poster/grower. Quick question

JimmyJive

I started a plant on accident, or should I say I discovered a seedling in a potted plant that apparently my friend put in there in seed form and it sprouted. I dont know the first thing about growing but I do love smoking so I said "why not" and started giving her water and all the sunlight she could handle. She got to be about 10 inches and a little to noticeable to keep outside in a makeshift pot made from a 2 liter soda bottle. I transplanted it in a secret location and let it do its thing while watering it every few days. It is now about 15 inches tall and it looks as though it is starting to flower? At least I think it's flowering. I took a couple pictures of it to post but the pictures came out really blurry...cheap cell phone cameras...

Anyways, I still am not sure if it's male or female or even if its in the flowering stage as of now. I had 5 other plants in the same location but none seemed to grow any larger than when I transplanted them about a month ago so this one is my only bigger one.

I started the seedling in May and transplanted in july. The leaves were turning yellow so I read somewhere about egg shells. I added some to the top of the soil as well as some miracle grow soil i borrowed from a neighbor and the leaves got greener over time.

It has always have been an outdoor plant. I still have yet to get 7 leaves which I have no idea about either but I was just happy to see little whitish flower looking things coming out of little sacs that look like seeds on the very top of the plants. Like I said I have no idea how this shit works so any insight will be helpful.

Thanks and I look forward to your responses

"little whitish flower looking things coming out of little sacs"
Sweet! The little whitish things indicate that your plant is female!

I'd post tons of answers here... all the questions you have have been answered many times over. Dig thru the forums... especially this one... How to Grow Marijuana - 420 Magazine

All the answers are at your fingertips! This site is a huge source of excellent info for the un-initiated grower.

Cheers

Nice, that's the answer I was looking for haha

I was worried that it was a little small compared to many of the pictures I have seen. There are two little "fang" looking things at the base of the top level where the little flowers are showing so I assumed it was female but wasn't 100% sure. Then I saw the little sacs which I though might indicate male and checked today and it looks like little white flowers starting to bust out of them.

I have been looking around this site for some time as a lurker and figured I would finally post. When I can get some decent pictures I will post them and show everyone what I am working with so I can get some advice or guidance. I am working with a $0 budget, hey it's hard out there! lol

thanks for the replies! I will have some pictures soon if interested in taking a look

I have never seen little groups of grape looking things, only the little fangs near the bottom of the top level and the little sacks the small white "flowers" are protruding out of. Now my other question is that I only have 5 leaves...I know the 7's come eventually but I was getting a little worried about them not showing and at the over all size of the plant (approx 15 inches). Is that a sign that the plant may not grow anymore and bud or am I right on track when it comes to that?

Comparing my plant to other pictures I have seen, mine look like a midget but I read that it couple triple it's size when it starts budding....I am just worried about it being on track to bud and get a good yield

What kind of light is your baby getting? Is it in a small pot?

Two things I can imagine that cause small plant size is low light or lack of root room.
Of course, if your plant is just going into the flowering stage, your plant should double in height.

I'm not sure of the of what you're referring to about the "7 leaves".

Any idea of what strain you have? Different strains act very differently. Some strains are very small by design.

Cheers

1. She is planted in the ground and there is trees and other growth above it so it gets "filtered" light. It probably is the cause of the low growth as being in the ground, it has as much room as possible to extend its root system.

I mean 7 leaves as in what a regular marijuana leaf looks like with 7 points. Mine have 5 points and some with 3 points.

I am not sure of the strain because as I said, my friend put the seed in there but I do remember that it was from some bud that got us really nice and glassy eyed haha

Also, I live in the east coast so it's been VERY rainy and cloudy here all summer. Actually yesterday and today are the nicest two back to back days I can even recall all summer without rain. We only broke over 90 once or twice, last time being in April if I do recall correctly. I just took a few pictures and they are attached. It is in a wooded area and on a hill, perhaps that would make the plant a little smaller?
cid__0816091337b.jpg

cid__0816091707a.jpg

cid__0816091338a.jpg

cid__0816091707.jpg

Gotcha... I wouldn't worry about the leaves. I just took a peek at my babies, and all the big fan leaves are 5 pointed. My plants are about 4ft high and well into flowering.

The size is the real issue. I would guess that the filtered light is the cause of your low growth, but there might also be other contributing factors. Also, lots of trees drop various forms of pitch or other assorted goo.... that might cause a problem. Choose a better grow area next time that has direct light.... you'll be amazed by the difference.

Cheers

ok... just saw your recent post. I'm pretty sure that's a male. Sorry. You'll see in the next few days... the flowers will open and release pollen.

If I'm wrong, the flower pods will not open... because they're calyx. The Calyx are the female flower that throw out 2 white hairs. The male flowers will simply open and release pollen while the female flowers (calyx) will not open and will grow fatter as they ripen.

I can tell from your photos that you don't have nearly enough light.

Cheers

I will see if I can get a clear pic via my girls phone. Sorry no digi cam. If I get one I will surely post it for confirmation. I had the feeling it was male as it was...

Thanks

that picture is one of a male plant, tead gave a great description, "grape clusters" perfectly describes the growth nature of the male plant. males will grow the "grape clusters" mainly at the top of the main trunk and taller side branches. females will grow the tear drop with 2 hairs at the intersection of side brances and the main stalk.
going over grow journals will give a good idea of the life cycle of our marijuana.
hope your other plants turn out to be girls, if not there is always next year.

Well I am still trying my hand. It does turn out that I did get one female though. It's really small due to the no direct light but I just moved it hoping to salvage what I can now that it is getting colder here in the north east.

Its about a foot tall but obviously female. Crossing my fingers I get at least something for my troubles lol

Oh and in case you were wondering, the one in discussion earlier definitely was male and it's a new one that is female lol

Back
Top Bottom