250W HPS Refrigerator Grow!

Yeah I've learned so much this far, and ready to learn even more because it's a whole lot of fun. And thanks to you guys for all the solid info and guidance! ✌️
Next plant will get a 250watt MH to veg under :)

I'm a little interested on how you started out and what strain was your first?
Cheers!

Welp, many moons ago someone gave me about 12 Northern lights seeds. I decided to grow them as I was tired of paying for it and really I don't wish to support the criminal networks that were present at the time. To this day, I don't sell. I grow for myself, family and friends only.

When I sprouted those first seeds the learning curve began big time. I didn't have the resources to help me along as there are today.

I quickly found out that I didn't have enough light. So I ran to home depot and bought 2-70 watt HID lamps. I tore the ballasts out of them and converted an old large stereo stand into a makeshift grow box. That box ran my first few crops.

AND THEN I found an old 400 watt HPS street light at the dump. I dragged it home, stole the ballast out of it and bought a bulb. AND THEN (its like the MJ gods were looking down on me) the local hockey arena changed its internal lights from MH to HPS. So I picked up many 400 watt HID ballasts. I still have all these old grow boxes and lights today. In fact I am still using the twin 70 watt grow box for seedlings.

With that in hand I tried a bunch of different hydro techniques. I also learned to clone the hard way.

So the large portion of my experience was trial and error. However as a young city kid, our family was friends with some commercial herb farmers just north of us. Myself and my brother got some serious experience in growing all kinds of herbs and here we learned about soil and how to read the plants. That herb farm is a multi million dollar operation today. Working here gave me a leg up so to speak. I dunno how things would have turned out without this experience.

The rest was common sense and trying different things. In the end I found soil better. So I am a dirt farmer and will likely always be a dirt farmer.

Cheers

Welp, many moons ago someone gave me about 12 Northern lights seeds. I decided to grow them as I was tired of paying for it and really I don't wish to support the criminal networks that were present at the time. To this day, I don't sell. I grow for myself, family and friends only.

When I sprouted those first seeds the learning curve began big time. I didn't have the resources to help me along as there are today.

I quickly found out that I didn't have enough light. So I ran to home depot and bought 2-70 watt HID lamps. I tore the ballasts out of them and converted an old large stereo stand into a makeshift grow box. That box ran my first few crops.

AND THEN I found an old 400 watt HPS street light at the dump. I dragged it home, stole the ballast out of it and bought a bulb. AND THEN (its like the MJ gods were looking down on me) the local hockey arena changed its internal lights from MH to HPS. So I picked up many 400 watt HID ballasts. I still have all these old grow boxes and lights today. In fact I am still using the twin 70 watt grow box for seedlings.

With that in hand I tried a bunch of different hydro techniques. I also learned to clone the hard way.

So the large portion of my experience was trial and error. However as a young city kid, our family was friends with some commercial herb farmers just north of us. Myself and my brother got some serious experience in growing all kinds of herbs and here we learned about soil and how to read the plants. That herb farm is a multi million dollar operation today. Working here gave me a leg up so to speak. I dunno how things would have turned out without this experience.

The rest was common sense and trying different things. In the end I found soil better. So I am a dirt farmer and will likely always be a dirt farmer.

Cheers
That's a interesting story you got there! I agree with you on not supporting the criminal networks, and not selling to different people, that's when you get caught.
I got tired of not getting what I payed for, and always a gram or two was missing..
But I started mostly because I want a high CBD strain to try to fight my anxiety with. Were on antidepressants a few years ago but stopped taking those nasty pills, never pills again.

I can understand the struggle with that learning curve when you just have to try and fail until you suceed, good work!
Very cool that you still using some gear from the MJ gods! Very old school!
It feels good to have so many experienced people on this forum
Cheers and thanks for sharing some background story!

Hello! Very big difference on the leaves after more nutrition! And she is not drooping so much either, pictures after 18h of light right before sleepytime.
420-magazine-mobile1241816477.jpg

420-magazine-mobile472487043.jpg

Now I know how to work the soil and nutes for next grow. This is the scheme that I have been following.
420-magazine-mobile506848649.jpg

But! They have a different scheme for another soil that they have, that is less starting nutrients in it. I'm thinking I'm going to try that in the next grow as I drain quite a lot in my smart pots.
Cheers!
420-magazine-mobile812975176.jpg

I Like what you got going here. Your lady looks like she is sleeping when the lights are on, worrying at first isn't it? When I got this on my autos I dropped the light hours from 18/6 to 16/8 and didn't see it again.

Here is a great thread on all things organic, some very talented growers over there with lots of soil knowledge.

Building a Better Soil - Demonstrations & Discussions of Organic Soil Recipes

I Like what you got going here. Your lady looks like she is sleeping when the lights are on, worrying at first isn't it? When I got this on my autos I dropped the light hours from 18/6 to 16/8 and didn't see it again.

Here is a great thread on all things organic, some very talented growers over there with lots of soil knowledge.

Building a Better Soil - Demonstrations & Discussions of Organic Soil Recipes
Thank you! Yeah she is feeling better now with more nutrition and 18h light cycle instead of 20 :)
Cool! Will read that thread, thanks!

Hi(gh)!
On friday she is 6 weeks old. Seems to budding up okay.
I've noticed some orange pistils this morning, what is that a sign for? Cheers!
420-magazine-mobile1597951805.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1441933512.jpg

If I'm correct the orange pistils just a sign of a maturing plant keep your eyes on your trichomes your getting close, I heard 50%-75% orange pistils means it's ready for harvest but get a microscope and check the trichs for precise harvest day . looking nice that though buddy your buds will probably swell for a week or two from now

If I'm correct the orange pistils just a sign of a maturing plant keep your eyes on your trichomes your getting close, I heard 50%-75% orange pistils means it's ready for harvest but get a microscope and check the trichs for precise harvest day . looking nice that though buddy your buds will probably swell for a week or two from now
Cool thanks! I just ordered a cheap hand jewel loupe. It was 60x magnification with some led lights. Around 10 bucks :) Will keep an eye.
So if I understand it right, if you harvest when trichs are cloudy/milky you get a more head high, and more amber ones get you body high/couch lock. If I wan't to have the true "strain character". What should I aim for? This strain is described as this:

Fast Eddy produces a very pungent citrusy skunk aroma and taste, inducing a clear and comfortable buzz when smoked. It makes for a great daytime smoke - when you don't want anything too heavy, and you have stuff to get done. This light and functional high also offers a good degree of pain relief, making her a worthwhile choice for anyone looking to alleviate it. Fast Eddy has a 9% THC content combined with a high CBD content.
Cheers!

Personally I'd go for the couch lock harvest the top half first then let the bottom grow again till them trichs are right, it all depends on the high your after pal google trichomes and then decide yourself on what you'd like

Hi! Been a while since I updated, had a lot going on at work and tired when I'm at home...
Well! Got my loupe home today so started checking some trichomes! The light through the camera fools you a bit, they look milky but in reality the most of them are clear and about 10-20% are milky. Got some time left I guess :)
Cheers!
420-magazine-mobile1591638481.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1709817642.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1408317585.jpg

P. S I will try and harvest when all is milky and about 5-10% amber. Been doing some reading up on trichomes. Seems that amber trichomes are THC turning to CBN, and CBN is what get you the diazepam groggy feeling and that's not what I want. Laying my trust in the genetics of the plant hope she will be as chill as they describe it to be. :)
Cheers

P. S I will try and harvest when all is milky and about 5-10% amber. Been doing some reading up on trichomes. Seems that amber trichomes are THC turning to CBN, and CBN is what get you the diazepam groggy feeling and that's not what I want. Laying my trust in the genetics of the plant hope she will be as chill as they describe it to be. :)
Cheers
She is looking good, buds are fattening up, looks like she will be a decent yielder also thumbs up.✌

She is looking good, buds are fattening up, looks like she will be a decent yielder also thumbs up.✌
Yeah I really hope so! Quite excited to try her out. I'm currently looking to buy a pen vaporizer "Storm". As I have stopped smoking cigarettes a year ago and only vaping ecigg now :) Cheers

Back
Top Bottom