480W & 720W LED Grow - Land of Clovers

re: 480W & 720W Grow LED Hydro - Land Of Clovers

I need to order seeds do you have a suggestion on who to go with and what would be the best want to try 3 to 4 strains.

I want to do a 12/12 journal one room soil one room hydro. all with Mikes LEDS
that would be cool to see and a 1st that i know of?
Yeah I might go ahead and try out 12/12 from seed with the big batch of freebies I got in the December deal from attitude

I bet they will do better with these LED for 12/12 than with HID

Hey Irish I know it would be a pain, but you and the other Spectra growers you know should tally up all the watt hours and yields and see what kind of average yield per watt hour kind of figures you get with these LEDs and see how they compare to your HID?
i think thats the true way to do but i dont have the time and math skills to do that.lol.. ive never cared enough to do it and figure all that stuff out, i like my yields from what i get with these lights and its more then cover the power bill and the less heat issues i have, because in the summer i cant run HID so its already wins for me
I need to order seeds do you have a suggestion on who to go with and what would be the best want to try 3 to 4 strains.

ive never bought seeds so i have no clue, i only grow from clone. but i like the subcool strains the most from TGA seeds

i want to show you guys some BS and how we get riped off. check this out, on the left side is a 3 gal bucket, middle is a top line 5gal nursery pot, right 5 gal bucket. the 3gal bucket is larger then the 5gal nursery pot, as you can see in the pic the 3gal bucket wont even fit inside the 5gal pot.lol. the 5gal bucket witch was cheaper then the pot is allot bigger. about 5" taller and almost 2" wider but holding medium the 5gal pot hold allot more at the end for a cheaper price. so 5 gal pots are smaller then 3gal buckets.

100_47911.JPG
100_47941.JPG

Hey Irish! Nice thread you got going here. I actually was planning to do some of the same, and then I read your thread and there was a lot of good information here.
Im planning a small micro cab with hempy scrog and 180w spectra leds.
Just recenty heard about osmocote+ and liked the fact that if you get it right its easy and very affordable.

Im planning to do a 2-plant scrog in 20-23 liter bucket (about 5 gallons), 80% perlite and 20% vermiculite , would you suggest using Osmocote+ ? And if so, how many tablespoons would you use in this medium?

My tap water is about 8.0 pH, but I will use pH- to bring it down to about 5.8-6 (I guess?) What do you think the runoff will be if i use osmocote+ ?

Peace man.

Hey Irish! Nice thread you got going here. I actually was planning to do some of the same, and then I read your thread and there was a lot of good information here.
Im planning a small micro cab with hempy scrog and 180w spectra leds.
Just recenty heard about osmocote+ and liked the fact that if you get it right its easy and very affordable.

Im planning to do a 2-plant scrog in 20-23 liter bucket (about 5 gallons), 80% perlite and 20% vermiculite , would you suggest using Osmocote+ ? And if so, how many tablespoons would you use in this medium?

My tap water is about 8.0 pH, but I will use pH- to bring it down to about 5.8-6 (I guess?) What do you think the runoff will be if i use osmocote+ ?

Peace man.

Hey, If you are doing a grow in just perlite/vermiculite, you are actually growing closer to hydro than soil. That being said, its really easy to do, you just gotta make sure you are prepared. You will need a ppm meter (20 bucks for a cheap one) and a ph meter (not the drops). Soil provides a greater buffer than your perilite/vermiculite mix, so it is important to get the numbers right so you know what your plants are getting.

First, if you are using tap water, you should let the water it sit overnight, uncovered, so you evaporate away all the chlorine. The next day, ph your water just to see what it stabilized at. Since you don't know the ppms your nutes will give, mix about half the recomended gallon dose into your bucket, and measure ph and ppms. You should be shooting for about 800ppms. One thing a lot of people don't realize is that ppm meters are calibrated at either .5 or .7 conversion (.7 is the most common in the U.S.) so make sure you ask the store or check the instructions. (this way, if you have problems and need to post for help, you can let people know what conversion is being used) You can add or lower the concentration based on what your plants are tilling you, once you get going, but for now, you are just trying to get a feel for your water conditions.

Ok, let the nutes sit for about 10-15 minutes in the gallon of water, and then check the ph. This will give you a good idea of what your nutes will do to the water, and from here, you can adjust ph up or down to around 5.8ish.

The thing is, you really won't know what the numbers are until you mix everything up and see. Everyone's tap water is different, with different trace minerals floating around in there, and that affects ph. Personally, i start out with reverse osmosis 0ppm water, just so I know the plants are only giving it what I want, but that's just my preference.

Also, just know with scrog that once you plants are in the screen, the buckets they are in won't be able to be moved, so know your strain, and when to flip it or you will end up with is an out of control scrog that vegged too long...lol

Hope this helps.

Hey, If you are doing a grow in just perlite/vermiculite, you are actually growing closer to hydro than soil. That being said, its really easy to do, you just gotta make sure you are prepared. You will need a ppm meter (20 bucks for a cheap one) and a ph meter (not the drops). Soil provides a greater buffer than your perilite/vermiculite mix, so it is important to get the numbers right so you know what your plants are getting.

First, if you are using tap water, you should let the water it sit overnight, uncovered, so you evaporate away all the chlorine. The next day, ph your water just to see what it stabilized at. Since you don't know the ppms your nutes will give, mix about half the recomended gallon dose into your bucket, and measure ph and ppms. You should be shooting for about 800ppms. One thing a lot of people don't realize is that ppm meters are calibrated at either .5 or .7 conversion (.7 is the most common in the U.S.) so make sure you ask the store or check the instructions. (this way, if you have problems and need to post for help, you can let people know what conversion is being used) You can add or lower the concentration based on what your plants are tilling you, once you get going, but for now, you are just trying to get a feel for your water conditions.

Ok, let the nutes sit for about 10-15 minutes in the gallon of water, and then check the ph. This will give you a good idea of what your nutes will do to the water, and from here, you can adjust ph up or down to around 5.8ish.

The thing is, you really won't know what the numbers are until you mix everything up and see. Everyone's tap water is different, with different trace minerals floating around in there, and that affects ph. Personally, i start out with reverse osmosis 0ppm water, just so I know the plants are only giving it what I want, but that's just my preference.

Also, just know with scrog that once you plants are in the screen, the buckets they are in won't be able to be moved, so know your strain, and when to flip it or you will end up with is an out of control scrog that vegged too long...lol

Hope this helps.

Hi man! Thank you for your tips. I'm aware of hempy is a type of hydro, socalled passive hydro system;) But anyways lots of good tips in here. I think pH meter is really important, but I will look into a ppm meter as well.

But osmocote+ is a time released fertilzer, so I put it in the medium and then it is activated by water to release nutes. And last through the whole grow. Then I just have to pH- down my water. But I will be sure to rest the water for a while before using it, thank you.

I will be sure to do some research of different strains and check out growlogs so i am sure when to switch to 12/12. If you have any suggestion for a micro grow please feel free to share:)

EDIT: I know now why it was commented as a hydro etc;) I mixed up the threads, my bad!

i want to show you guys some BS and how we get riped off. check this out, on the left side is a 3 gal bucket, middle is a top line 5gal nursery pot, right 5 gal bucket. the 3gal bucket is larger then the 5gal nursery pot, as you can see in the pic the 3gal bucket wont even fit inside the 5gal pot.lol. the 5gal bucket witch was cheaper then the pot is allot bigger. about 5" taller and almost 2" wider but holding medium the 5gal pot hold allot more at the end for a cheaper price. so 5 gal pots are smaller then 3gal buckets.

100_47911.JPG
100_47941.JPG

That's funny Bro. I also use 5s, 7s, & 10 gallon nursery pots and they seem a bit off of what they should be. It gets even better working with air pots & fabric grow bags. Airpot volumes with the larger pots I believe are much greater than the stated volume and the smaller airpots seem to be less than stated volume. The grow bags are so off it's funny. I think I could fit at least two, maybe three 3 gallon fabric bags in one 3 gallon bucket :scratchinghead:

My tap water is about 8.0 pH

I would suggest you test the pH with an alternate method (different tester, paper strips, something). You may be 100% dead on, but that is way more basic than any tap water I have encountered.

I just picked up the stealth grow for $600. Its still under warranty for another couple weeks. I've been using a couple weeks with no problems the only thing is condensation inside the glass but they have already sent me prepaid ups label to ship in for repair before warranty is up. What would be the best light to use along with the this and how many plants should it cover?? I was gonna buy a 600w for around $300 but found the led for $1200 and when he said he'd accept $600 i couldn't resist. I have been more interested in LED after reading here.

It sounds like you picked up the SG602, aka their "flagship light".
If that's the case, it should cover up to 2 large plants or 4 medium size plants.
Try to keep the plants directly under the LED as much as possible for best results.
But first, I would send that light in for repairs while still under warranty ASAP.
That condensation could cause a short and blow the whole light out, so get that baby taken care of.
Good luck.

That's funny Bro. I also use 5s, 7s, & 10 gallon nursery pots and they seem a bit off of what they should be. It gets even better working with air pots & fabric grow bags. Airpot volumes with the larger pots I believe are much greater than the stated volume and the smaller airpots seem to be less than stated volume. The grow bags are so off it's funny. I think I could fit at least two, maybe three 3 gallon fabric bags in one 3 gallon bucket :scratchinghead:

I checked the airpots and accourding to my calculation you get more volume than stated for them. Ex: the 2 gallon air pot is actually 2.5 if set the way they say, and as much as 3.16 if not. The smallest .4 gallon airpot is the only one that seems to give you less volume than advertised and it isn't enough to matter because I don't think anyone should be using those anyway.

Hey Irish what are the dimensions of the pot on the left? It looks to be about the same size as a 5 gallon airpot although perhaps a little taller/not as wide

I checked the airpots and accourding to my calculation you get more volume than stated for them. Ex: the 2 gallon air pot is actually 2.5 if set the way they say, and as much as 3.16 if not. The smallest .4 gallon airpot is the only one that seems to give you less volume than advertised and it isn't enough to matter because I don't think anyone should be using those anyway.

Hey Irish what are the dimensions of the pot on the left? It looks to be about the same size as a 5 gallon airpot although perhaps a little taller/not as wide
That's funny because the .4 and 4"x6" air pots are the main sizes I use now. I'll use the 3.5 gallon which is like using a 5 gallon bucket for mamas but I use the little air pots to establish root structure (4"x6" for seedlings ~ .4 for vegging clones & small plants before bloom) and then move the plants into 3.5 gallon hempy type buckets.
That is very true though how the volumes can be adjusted by raising or lowering the screens. This is where my modifications have thrown off the volume too because i've ditched the screens in favor of cut to fit coco matting to use as screens. I've also scrapped the screw in buttons in favor of zip ties.
I also have two 5 gallon airpots but the volume on those is more like 7-8 gallons.
I think BassPlayer uses the .4 for full term growth with killer results.:yummy:

That's funny because the .4 and 4"x6" air pots are the main sizes I use now. I'll use the 3.5 gallon which is like using a 5 gallon bucket for mamas but I use the little air pots to establish root structure (4"x6" for seedlings ~ .4 for vegging clones & small plants before bloom) and then move the plants into 3.5 gallon hempy type buckets.
That is very true though how the volumes can be adjusted by raising or lowering the screens. This is where my modifications have thrown off the volume too because i've ditched the screens in favor of cut to fit coco matting to use as screens. I've also scrapped the screw in buttons in favor of zip ties.
I also have two 5 gallon airpots but the volume on those is more like 7-8 gallons.
I think BassPlayer uses the .4 for full term growth with killer results.:yummy:

If used as directed a 5 gallon air pot with a radius of 6.25in and a height of 12.5 with the bottom piece set at 2 inches from the bottom calculates a volume of 5.31 gallons not 7-8 If you are thinking of that many that is because you got scammed by the pot people who lied about how big their pots were and that is what you based that on :p

Great looking harvest, I hope I ever get popcorn/lowerbits that big :p

I love that color Irishboy! Good job:)

I would suggest you test the pH with an alternate method (different tester, paper strips, something). You may be 100% dead on, but that is way more basic than any tap water I have encountered.

I think the readings from the offical water "something" in my city said pH 7,5 - 7,85 . The main reason for this high pH is that the last 2 years they been adding calcium to the water for health reasons.

:thumb:

Damn Irish, you just keep on leaving us all in the dust! Great haul, bro - can't wait for the smoke report; if it's anything like you say it smells, should be some right kine dank :Rasta:

Back
Top Bottom