4th Attempt - Northern Lights Strain - Indoor

tukangkebun

Hi guys,

This is my fourth trial after failing the first 3. I am located in tropical country (temp here is 27-32C here, humidity >80%). I failed my first 2 seeds because I chose the wrong soil (hard to find good standardized soil here unlike the US) and 3rd seed because of some inexperience on my part (too much light, water, and prob too rich soil too)

Would appreciate any feedback to make sure this one stay alive

This one is a Vision Seed Northern Light strain autoflowering feminized someone bought for me in Barcelona. I germinated back in Feb 9 in soil mixed with 30% perlite. I only water once a day using sprayer, and use 1 23W white CFL . Haven't started putting nutes yet.

Day 10

Some pictures I just took:
2015-02-19_18_49_47.png
2015-02-19_18_49_10.png
2015-02-19_18_48_34.png

There are some darker green spots on the leaves and the tip has a tiny yellow spot. Could this be a sign of problem?

yup, looks like possible nute burn. What kind of soil are you using?? also, water the soil with water, and not once a day, only when it dries out. If you are using a sprayer are you spraying the plant as well as the soil?? if your spraying the plant your lights could be burning it thru the water droplets on it.

No i dont spray the plant, just the soil and i wait until the soil is dry. the problem with the country that i live in i dont really know what is in the soil. the only way is trial and error.

Btw is it recommended to put it on 24 hour light schedule?

unfortunately no NPK ratio, just material composition of the soil. Do you think i can just ignore the nute burn and it will go away by itself? is there anything i can do ?

what is the material composition of the soil then??? is it an organic with things like guano or earth worm casings?? At this point, if it is all you have for soil, you can hope it is not too damaging to the plant, and as the plant gets bigger it loves the soil its in... hard to say.

yeah man, i just learned the hard way that soil's PH level plays a big role in success too. try to go 3 weeks form now with just PH'd water and see, maybe as it gets stronger it will be ok.

damn, it so hard to get all things right growing indoors. Dman!

I am translating from local language so hopefully it makes sense. the soil is made of wood sawdust, fine charcoal, cow and goat compost, leaves compost. Apparently I can get worm castings liquid fertilizer from a local shop. When should i start applying this?

for autos i start with 1/4 dose on week 3 and slowly move up. problem with animal compost could be that if it's not aged properly or disinfected you can experience some pests coming out when humidity and temperatures become favorable.

damn, i just checked the pH of my soil and it is so acidic that it cannot display the pH. I need to increase the pH up. anyone knows the effect of very acidic soil on cannabis?

if ph is high in the soil, need to go down with ph. 5.5 -6 is avg. and plant will not live with high ph levels. no matter what you do it will just burn up.very unlikely it will live long over 8 or more.

i have suggestion for you. there is soil ph balance you can buy to lower the PH in the soil just mix it as instructed on package.
you can find it most any garden place. but there is a key to it. have to mix it in the soil and wait till it reads proper levels for the plant. it might take a week or more. i have soil that is 7.6 here and no way it can grow a plant. i tired to use soil ph level. and i gave up.
best thing i can say is use organic soil. compost or something. or fox farm soil. its seems to be very good for plants.

hi guys,

been busy lately. here's what happened the last couple of days. 4 days ago, i bought dolomite lime to increase the pH of the soil. I put some on top of the soil and spray it until some of them got flushed into the soil. The pH of the soil is now at around 6.
Here are some pics I just took:
2015-02-27_22_48_48.png
2015-02-27_22_49_29.png

not surprised by the dying leaves as this was what happened to my 3rd grow.. but i think the dolomite is helping it stay alive because it is growing new set of leaves. do you think i should cut off the dying leaves?

4 days ago, i also started a new grow because i was losing hope :(
This time i found a bag of organic soil that has pH of 6. perfect! so now i also have this little guy

2015-02-27_22_50_03.png
2015-02-27_22_50_37.png
DSCF5101.JPG
2015-02-27_22_51_40.png
2015-02-27_22_51_11.png

it got out of the soil 2 days ago. the shell is off but not sure why the leaves are still folded. you can see there is "brown" stuff holding the leaves together. not sure what it is.. we shall see in a few days i guess.

thats the seed shell, the brown thing. it falls off in a day if not take your fingers and pull it off but dont hurt leaves doing it.
that brown leaves if from ph to high im sure. as you stated it. you can pull them dead leaves off long as there is more to replace it on the plant. if not let them just die on it. want hurt nothing.

looks good tho. keep up the your spirits , if you need help ask.

Thanks 7 Dust! the picture that i showed you is after i pulled the seed shell out of the plant. so apparently there is another "soft shell" underneath. this one is a little bit sticky to the leaves. so i will give it some more time to get out on its own before i try anything

the pH of the soil before was actually very low, not high (pH <4) i added the dolomite so the pH goes up to 6.5 now

I wasn't patient enough so i pulled the shell skin out of the little plant yesterday. so here we have it:

DAY 5:
2015-03-01_09_33_52.png
2015-03-01_09_34_38.png

the little plant looks healthy. really hoping this one can succeed where others have failed :) Btw this is a Northern Light strain Autoflowering from Vision Seeds.

Back
Top Bottom