600 and 400W lighting setup

Showtime

I have a 400w and a 600w hps that ill be using in an aprox 10x10 room for flower. What would be the best setup/arrangment for these lights so all the plants get the best even coverage?

Experienced growers will tell you that is not enough light but instead 4 600w would do the trick.

if you wanna pay the power bill on 4 600's I'll gladly run em lol. I'm not gonna stuff the room full, only 8 or 10 plants, not trying to break any records. i will probably supplement with some cfls but thats all the light thats going in there so i need to figure out how to use it the best way. Thanks for the input though.

Then you need to cut that 10x10 into a 5x5 for flower and have the other space for veg which requires less light. Maybe growing is not your thing if your not willing to pay for electricity....just being honest man. (or at least, the use of HPS/MH to grow)

8 or 10 plants do not require 100sqft

Showtime, If you have a 10x10 room to use why not either pick up a tent or section off partitions in the room with either panda film (visqueen black on one side white on the other) and section off areas for vegging / blooming. You can really make a great grow area without wasting room or lights .

Showtime, If you have a 10x10 room to use why not either pick up a tent or section off partitions in the room with either panda film (visqueen black on one side white on the other) and section off areas for vegging / blooming. You can really make a great grow area without wasting room or lights .

I agree with this. I have a room thats a little bigger den yours. PLus a closet that is about 8X6 i believe. I would divide that room use 400W with 2-300W CFL's for veg and 600W with 2-300W CFL for flower. 1400W total of lighting; with the other misc stuff.

i made a cfl veg/clone cab that is in the room for that purpose and the rest of the room is going to be used for flower. and just because I'm a new member to this site does not mean I'm a new grower so i know that yes growing is my "thing" lighter. just because i cant afford 600 dollars worth of lights and associated costs doesn't mean its not for me. I was just providing the space i have available and looking for advice for what i have so i don't appreciate you coming in here all condescending telling me growing is not for me because i cant afford the perfect room.

You need min 3K Lumens per sq foot average is 6K lumens per sq foot. Hes saying your using WAY to much space for 8-10 plants. Meaning you would need 600K lumens to effectively light up that 100SQ feet for flower. Seems you would have a third of that with a 400W and a 600W. Either add more plants or shrink down your sq ft.

i understand if i was using the whole100sq foot i would need more light, but I'm not thats just the size of the room i have to work with, but anyway! this is way off track from my original question. I just want to know how i can use these 2 different watt lights together for flowering and give the plants even coverage IE not have some under the 600 and some under the 400 not receiving full benefits of both lights.

just set up a 5x5 room for flower. put 400w on one side, 600w on the other. Rotate plants every other day to ensure even coverage. Use white walls or mylar. Set up your 400w and 600w in a horizontal setup with reflectors (double parabola is best).

If you have 10 plants @ 4 square feet per plant, that's 40 square feet of growspace. The optimal coverage is roughly 50 watts per square foot. With 1-600w and 1-400w, thats 1kw of light. 1000 watts divided by 40 is 25 watts per square foot. While this will grow plants, your yield will be significantly affected. :goodluck:

If the lights are both @ the same distance from the plants I would imagine the canopy would be the same and it would be equal coverage across the board. I would find the approx lumens for each light ad add them together then divide it by 6000 which would tell u the total sq foot of a room you would need. You said you have a 10X10 room and what would be the best arrangement. You should buy the MMJ bible from jorge cerventes it tells u the coverage area for HID lights. What lighter said might be best but that is a lot of work esp if you not young. Unless you put them on wheels or sum.

If you have 10 plants @ 4 square feet per plant, that's 40 square feet of growspace. The optimal coverage is roughly 50 watts per square foot. With 1-600w and 1-400w, thats 1kw of light. 1000 watts divided by 40 is 25 watts per square foot. While this will grow plants, your yield will be significantly affected. :goodluck:

You do need to shrink down that room to a 5X5 it seems. I am going to have a 5X5 tent with 600W HPS with about 200W or so of CFL. Thought it was lumens that matter most per sq foot as watts are used for electric consumption.

You do need to shrink down that room to a 5X5 it seems. I am going to have a 5X5 tent with 600W HPS with about 200W or so of CFL. Thought it was lumens that matter most per sq foot as watts are used for electric consumption.

If you want to get technical, it is neither lumens or watts that we are concerned with in growing cannabis, but PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) Watts. However, the 50 watts per square foot is a guideline that will, if followed, give you the correct amount light to optimize your yield.

Why not just set up 2 areas with panda film or whatever, use the 400 for vegging and the 600 for flowering ! and if you don't want a perpetual grow use both for vegging and both for flowering , but just use a space that will be large enough to hold 5 or 6 plants ! Put them in 5 gal buckets so they can be moved a bit to make sure they all get enough light ! That should allow plenty of light and by building your grow space in the center (roughly) of the room you'd have plenty of working room to vent grow area !.:peace:

If you want to get technical, it is neither lumens or watts that we are concerned with in growing cannabis, but PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) Watts. However, the 50 watts per square foot is a guideline that will, if followed, give you the correct amount light to optimize your yield.

Yes please do get technical. If this aint the place for it then I can make a thread so im not hi-jacking it. But im sure ppl like to know what lights to use to get the best/most yield out of their plants in their grow area.

Yes please do get technical. If this aint the place for it then I can make a thread so im not hi-jacking it. But im sure ppl like to know what lights to use to get the best/most yield out of their plants in their grow area.

I'd love to talk more about this later. Got baby backs and tri-tip on the fire right now.....:)

usually the biggest size recommended for a 600 and 400 are;

4'x4' for the 600 = 37.5 watts per sq foot
3x'3 for the 400 = 44 watts per Sq foot

I'd love to talk more about this later. Got baby backs and tri-tip on the fire right now.....:)

Sounds good bout to make me some Tacos, got a corona 22 and some captains and coke. No buds lately for me but yea Expect to see me make a thread for this :):peacetwo:

Back
Top Bottom