A question on curing - Please help

robk

420 Member
I soon will be curing Miss Jane. I plan on doing the mason jar method where you open the lids once or twice a day for the first two months. The problem is , I am away one day every week. Do I leave the jar sealed or what? Anyone know the best solution? Thank You, Rob

Leave it closed, and possibly throw in some kind of RH stabilizer (boveda). That will prevent most bad things from happening. With quart jars I would go with the 63 gram size of 58% (wide mouth jars)

That is what I would do.

If you have one (or some) of those stick type Humidity gauges that fit in the jars and can read the RH, anything under 65% RH should be fine to leave for a few days even if you have to, as if you leave the jar open while you are gone it will dry out more (or get more wet depending on what the RH is where you have it, as my house under 40 % RH lately). Those gauges help a lot as easier to tell if it is too wet, and then you can take it out of jars and put on cookie sheet for a few hours and slowly drop it down to where you want it (most folks fall in the 58-62% RH range as a personal preference on how dry they like it along with the variables on how you are smoking it affect that too, personally I like it less than 62 and the 58-60 range).

If you have one (or some) of those stick type Humidity gauges that fit in the jars and can read the RH, anything under 65% RH should be fine to leave for a few days even if you have to, as if you leave the jar open while you are gone it will dry out more (or get more wet depending on what the RH is where you have it, as my house under 40 % RH lately). Those gauges help a lot as easier to tell if it is too wet, and then you can take it out of jars and put on cookie sheet for a few hours and slowly drop it down to where you want it (most folks fall in the 58-62% RH range as a personal preference on how dry they like it along with the variables on how you are smoking it affect that too, personally I like it less than 62 and the 58-60 range).
thank you

General consensus is 62% boveda packs are the one to get.

Oh, I hadn't read that. Thanks for correcting me. I'll file that in my brain, and remember because I was wrong.

:thanks:

Have they come out with those 58 packs I used to read them talking about producing?

Tobacco is generally kept at a higher RH.

I think at the time the Boveda packs started becoming popular with the cannabis crowd, 62 was just the lowest pack they had. So it was the best fit. Therefore stated as 'perfect for cannabis'.
I'd consider 58 to be even perfecter. But it's personal preference. I find 62 a little high for me.

Have they come out with those 58 packs I used to read them talking about producing?

Tobacco is generally kept at a higher RH
I think at the time Boveda packs started becoming popular with the cannabis crowd, 62 was just the lowest pack they had. So it was the best fit. Therefore stated as 'perfect for cannabis'.
I'd consider 58 to be even perfecter. But it's personal preference. I find 62 a little high for me.

Yes, you can get them on Amazon

Back
Top Bottom