Advise for training plants for allowed Grow Box space?

Bro nice setup! I got two redwood vs coming this week! Hey what’s that supplementing the veg room?

i used to build led rigs and sell them locally. branded and all lol :p

the burple on the veg rig are 5050 smds on their own rails. they are a ramp up /down which is used with a separate timer mimicking a morning / evening. i have the same in far red for the flower light i just can't get to installing. it would help ramp resin production.

the 5050s consume just about nothing, but are included in the total number of daylight hours, run on their own, at the beginning and end of the day cycle. one hour on either end. the cobs do the main lifting. it cuts back even further on the power the rigs consume, and has a beneficial effect on the plants as well.

i'm not sold on it.

edit : should add the uv doesn't penetrate to a lot of crucial areas where mold actually develops.

edit again : measure the power of a led rig by what the driver(s) total draw is. not by advertised mfgrs 'equivalent'. the two may be miles and miles apart. if is says it draws 100w total, then it is a 100w rig. you don't get a 1000w for a 100w draw.

As mentioned there are many ways to work in a tight space from au natural to SCROG etc. If you're nervous about topping the easiest way to fill out a nice canopy IMHO is to train her sideways once she's about a foot tall.
I like to tie an "anchor" line from the side of the pot to the main stem to reinforce it, then tie the top to the opposite side of the pot in a way that i can adjust it from day to day.
If you're topping or bending or super cropping either way the goal is to lower the tallest part of the plant so that she will respond by pushing her side branches the tallest part of the canopy. This is the fun part where every day you get to find the runaway shoots and pull them back down to be even with the rest (via scrog net, wires, strings, whatever)
It's a lot of fun!
Here are some I've got going in my compact garden...
The little purple haze started training a few days ago and is already shooting up side branches!

20201206_214714.jpg

20201206_214612.jpg

20201201_235551.jpg

20201201_235323.jpg

Yessir that’s exactly why you want to do! Let them alone like the first 3-4 weeks of life, hopefully (like you said should have 3-4 or 5 nodes, you can “fim” and try to get 4 tops when it heals! Cool stuff, stands for fukk I missed) or just pluck the last couple leaves. I top them cuz fiming makes stuff a little crazy sometimes, lol. But this is what I was getting at, after your plant has split into two tops SUPERCROP that bitch( I say that lovingly!) and then you plant training is almost done. All you have to do is defoliation every once in a while. Hope I helped man!!
Come on bro, let’s give Him a hand up, so he don’t have to start at square one and figure it out for himself. Cant you read? He’s old bro. Jk, but yeah that light is fine for two little plants, even for flowering if they are not that big. And bro vegging plants don’t need much light even with heavy training. I veg everything under 2x 42w t5ho and stuff be jumpin!
U guys are killing me with all your help. "I mean in a good way", laughed my ass off when u commented on me being old, I told my wife how much fun I have on this site, u guys rock for sure! I saw vids on my Growstar 600 watt LED before I bought it and its specs were cool for up to a 5'x5' grow area , or maybe just marketing B.S. So far I have been using it for seedlings and into my Veg stage, had to play with heights a bit but so far my babies look killer, as we'll as my new seedlings. Im totally up for trying some basic training, maybe just a one time top, who knows, I may top one and leave the other alone for a comparison. I only have a 2'x4' area soooo my main concern is to end up with 2 nice females when I can tell the sex that I can spoil, and work with that for my first grow. Just love the time U guys are taking with me, thanks so much Grow friends!

Ahh! Nice tip bro. I’m going to start doing that. Lol, I have been hanging plants off to the side and trying to Tetris them in a cramped tent. And bro should look into the quadlining people’s threads. I can’t speak on that to much but the idea is to just get 4 main colas( nice big ones!)
Quadlining is fun but can get a little tricky say if your branches aren't growing at uniform rates. I was just saying aside from a single topping that bending is pretty darn easy and hardly any delay in growth. I do both

As mentioned there are many ways to work in a tight space from au natural to SCROG etc. If you're nervous about topping the easiest way to fill out a nice canopy IMHO is to train her sideways once she's about a foot tall.
I like to tie an "anchor" line from the side of the pot to the main stem to reinforce it, then tie the top to the opposite side of the pot in a way that i can adjust it from day to day.
If you're topping or bending or super cropping either way the goal is to lower the tallest part of the plant so that she will respond by pushing her side branches the tallest part of the canopy. This is the fun part where every day you get to find the runaway shoots and pull them back down to be even with the rest (via scrog net, wires, strings, whatever)
It's a lot of fun!
Here are some I've got going in my compact garden...
The little purple haze started training a few days ago and is already shooting up side branches!

20201206_214714.jpg

20201206_214612.jpg

20201201_235551.jpg

20201201_235323.jpg
Man o man, very interesting stuff to think about, especially for a Newbie like myself. I like how U mentioned having fun, I told my wife its a lot of fun for me, especially during the Covid/Winter we are all dealing with. I am a huge Veggie Gardener but never grew weed, well that is since I did it outside in the 70s. 2 questions, is it true if u don't TOP or FIM u will only get one main Cola, and was the monster in the 2nd pic from the top, topped to start out, it looks like it was to me?

Man o man, very interesting stuff to think about, especially for a Newbie like myself. I like how U mentioned having fun, I told my wife its a lot of fun for me, especially during the Covid/Winter we are all dealing with. I am a huge Veggie Gardener but never grew weed, well that is since I did it outside in the 70s. 2 questions, is it true if u don't TOP or FIM u will only get one main Cola, and was the monster in the 2nd pic from the top, topped to start out, it looks like it was to me?
Depending on genetics they will either have a huge cola with some smaller ones on the side or bush out into a cone "Christmas tree" shape with the biggest bud on top and lots of medium size buds, etc.
The plant wants to put the most effort into the tallest branch, hence if you train her to keep all (well most) of the branches relatively level then it'll put significant energy into developing them as the tallest branches. The fun part for us is getting in the garden every day and attempting to bend, prune, train and manage the growth to keep it somewhat even.

Yes, the monster plant was topped a long time ago and then was stuck in the back corner of my tent and then one day she bolted and got really tall so once i removed a few plants and had room i decided to train her sideways but it was pretty late for that as her branches were already woody and didn't want to at first. I had to bend them a little more each day and eventually her trunk split! Tip: try to keep a roll of tape nearby when training and most of the time you can save a broken branch as long as you don't totally rip it off. But these girls are really fibery and will take significant effort to totally lose the branch.
If this happens, just put the branch back in place and tape it up nice and snug. If you have tape with some stretch like electrical or nursery tape even better. If you have any rooting gel laying around you can put a drop into the break before taping for a little B vitamin boost at the wound.
Now the wound is healed up nicely and stronger than ever!

Depending on genetics they will either have a huge cola with some smaller ones on the side or bush out into a cone "Christmas tree" shape with the biggest bud on top and lots of medium size buds, etc.
The plant wants to put the most effort into the tallest branch, hence if you train her to keep all (well most) of the branches relatively level then it'll put significant energy into developing them as the tallest branches. The fun part for us is getting in the garden every day and attempting to bend, prune, train and manage the growth to keep it somewhat even.

Yes, the monster plant was topped a long time ago and then was stuck in the back corner of my tent and then one day she bolted and got really tall so once i removed a few plants and had room i decided to train her sideways but it was pretty late for that as her branches were already woody and didn't want to at first. I had to bend them a little more each day and eventually her trunk split! Tip: try to keep a roll of tape nearby when training and most of the time you can save a broken branch as long as you don't totally rip it off. But these girls are really fibery and will take significant effort to totally lose the branch.
If this happens, just put the branch back in place and tape it up nice and snug. If you have tape with some stretch like electrical or nursery tape even better. If you have any rooting gel laying around you can put a drop into the break before taping for a little B vitamin boost at the wound.
Yeah bro! It’s awesome here and there’s lots of cool people!( and some d- bags) but few and far between. Yeah bro I think it’s a great idea for you to train one and let the other go all natural. Well maybe at least top it one time? It’s up to you man. What’s really cool is monster cropped clones. These are interesting because it was a bud that every calyx on it turns int a branch! You grow these out you have soooo many flowers! I top and train, til I get the plant looking how I want. Then I strip away all the flower sites low down on the plant and pick which nuggets will be the best to grow. If it’s lacking I’m chopping it off.

Dang it Southerncough, your input is very enlightening to say the least, I am stoked to try some stuff U mentioned here, I am having soooooo much fun , not only with the growing process but meeting so many cool ass folks with input and that are taking the time to spoon feed my old/dumn ass! Thanks a bunch, in helping me decide about the "Topping process". I have decided to go for it and try LST after that. Your tape for damage control is awesome input, also takes me back in time, as I mentioned earlier I am a huge Veggie grower, I some times compare growing weed to growing Tomatoes. One time a storm blew over a 6' Tomato I had and spilt the main stalk in half, I "duct taped" it back and poured melted wax over the split to save her ass, just amazing!

I've been working on this monster afghani plant for a while to see if i can get her to fill out the whole 2x4 cabinet and she's getting closer to ready, just a few empty spots left. The rest is like a carpet of weed! Instead of a trellis net ive been playing with a ball of cotton twine i had laying around and it's been pretty wild watching her go!
I opted to not use the net so i can pull her out to prune, inspect, spray, etc. With this type of training the branches get really tough and are holding up every beautifully.
Here's a pic of the healed stem and some of the northern lights and purple haze i started LST training last weekend

20201208_215724.jpg

20201208_215646.jpg

20201208_215615.jpg

20201208_214805.jpg

20201208_214758.jpg

oh man, I lost track. Over the summer I had mites and white flies real bad. I converted my bloom cabinet into a plant hospital and lost all but one plant (her) and she was really banged up. She recovered and I was about to flower her because she was like 4' tall, but she was already too close to the lights and that's when I decided to train her out like this. Believe me if this was my original goal I would've totally gone about it differently and now I'm purposefully dragging her out just to see if I could get the middle branches to come in some more.

I've been working on this monster afghani plant for a while to see if i can get her to fill out the whole 2x4 cabinet and she's getting closer to ready, just a few empty spots left. The rest is like a carpet of weed! Instead of a trellis net ive been playing with a ball of cotton twine i had laying around and it's been pretty wild watching her go!
I opted to not use the net so i can pull her out to prune, inspect, spray, etc. With this type of training the branches get really tough and are holding up every beautifully.
Here's a pic of the healed stem and some of the northern lights and purple haze i started LST training last weekend

20201208_215724.jpg

20201208_215646.jpg

20201208_215615.jpg

20201208_214805.jpg

20201208_214758.jpg
Man these pix are amazing and encouraging, it looks like u use 3 gallon soft pots for some , which is what I decided to use based on my 2'x4' grow area. Makes me feel better because it seems like most growers use 5 gallons and I cannot. Im not going to be disappointed if I don't grow monsters, just hoping for a couple healthy Female bushy plants with a hand full of nice buds . Im not a heavy smoker by any means, just having fun for a winter indoor project! Thanks for your time sending all these cool asssss pix Bro!

I do have some 5 gal and recently bought some more but what I really like about the 3 gals is that they fit nicely in a 10"x20" nursery tray, which I can fit four of in my bloom room or 3 of in my veg tent.
You can easily harvest a few oz from a 3 gal bag! The only thing I don't like about them is transplanting is kind of a pain so I'm trying some new ones with velcro down the side...we'll see how that goes!
You got this man! Some of my favorite gardening tools are from the dollar store like pipe cleaners and binder clips. I even get garden wire, 3" pots, and shears there when they briefly go on sale in the spring

Oooooops almost forgot to ask. Whats the earliest u have been able to the sex on some of yours, is there any early "how to tell" secrets there, or are all yours feminized. My first attempt back in October was with some feminized "CB Diesel" seeds I paid good money for but lost them all to bad germ efforts on my part. I got them from a place in CA called The Seed King, who said they would back me up. I contacted them twice with no return help. Luckily a super nice guy on 420 donated seeds to help me out, we are good friends now! I am trying to get 4 healthy plants going so I can end up with at least 2 nice females, based on room!

Back
Top Bottom