Amateur Indoor/Outdoor grow - need support & advice

MiMi93

Hi to all of you. I want to show to you how I made my grow these year.
First I started with 3 bag seeds witch I found in some great bud which was some like indica. I grow them on my balcony.
The place is air refreshed because the plants are placed next to a window and the window is open all the time all the day but the air flow is not so strong. I use (1) 400 W HPS lamp. The soil is home made. I mean it has been used for some flowers at home, the soil has never been fertilized. I left some peaces of root in the soil from the previous plant. The plants look healthy and they are strong for now. The lamp is placed 35cm above the plants. The cabinet in which the plants are is warm, but not too hot.
So now I am going to post you some pics so you can tell me if they are fine. What I doubt for now is why the plants grow slow or they may be growing fine because I may be tripping :). I water the plants every 3th day. They are in some small pots for now.

This one is 6th day after germinating.

Den-5_2.JPG

Den-6.JPG

This one is 3th day after germinating.

Den-3_1.JPG

This one is 2th day after germinating.

Den-2_1.JPG

What do you think are they growing fine ? I think they grow slow because I use HPS lamp not CFL.
I am going to post pics from these beauties every 7th day so the progress can be seen easily.
I plan to grow the plants under HPS for some 1 anda half month and after that I am going to manipulate the steams and left the plant to grow under the sun light. What do you think ? Some ideas or advice's ?

Re: Amateur Indoor/Outdoor grow ( need support & advice )

Mine's main question is will the plants grow fine through the veg stage if they are 2 months under HPS 400w ?

plant looks good, as i wouldnt recommend doing it nice way to recycle your soil !!

HPS reenacts the fall sun. when you look to the sky during fall and the sky looks (red, pink, orange, blue) that is what the hps is copying. this is one of a few factors that tells the plant it is becoming winter (the sun isnt as bright any more) as well as (the sun is falling asleep faster)

As your plant will grow with a HPS (possibly super HPS??) a MH is best for growing so would be your go to recommendation for the first month or two in grow. however, you can grow a plant with cfl or t5 till their 12" then throw them in hps under 12/12 light if you want some short stocky guys. ive got a handful of oz off one plant at 2' tall before. size doesnt always mean the best.

I&i

The seedling is not too small for 6 days old. It looks good. One thing I noticed right away when I looked at the pictures - the seedlings look like they are in clear plastic cups. That is bad. Roots do not like light. You can fix that by wrapping some tape around the cup so light can't get in. Around 20 days you will need to move the seedlings into bigger pots.

Also, make sure you have holes in the bottom of the cups so extra water can drain out.

Other people who have responded are right; the HPS is going to cause the seedlings to stretch. HPS is best for flowering plants and yours will not be flowering for several weeks yet.

Can you post some more pictures of the place where your plants are growing, MiMi? That way we can see how much room they have to grow and think about the things you can do to grow nice plants in the space you have.

PeeJay : One thing I noticed right away when I looked at the pictures - the seedlings look like they are in clear plastic cups. That is bad. Roots do not like light. You can fix that by wrapping some tape around the cup so light can't get in. Around 20 days you will need to move the seedlings into bigger pots.

That is spot on, was not paying close enough attention it seems. Black and Cloth are my go to, White containers you want to stay away from as well.

OK... So ... i repoted today 2 of the plants into bigger black pots, they are both plastic pots. Then. My pots have holes on the bottom. I am also going to post now pictures of the place where they are going to be grown and also I am going to show you the closet of my previous grow and the plant that used to grow in that closet. Here it is the previous grow how it looked like:

P9130807.JPG

P9070762.JPG

This plant is in something like 7/8/9 week of flowering, and it needed just no more then 3 weeks more. I grew it in poor conditions with almost no air flow and the plant was cool and healthy. But that was my first grow and I was so euphoric about the yield so i started cutting the leaves so the buds can be easily seen and that is how I killed that plant :( .... but anyway it gave me some 30+ grams of nice weed. I don't know what strain it was but it was more sativa like. But here you can see the poor environment and even though the plant grew successfully. This plant was all the time from germinating till the murdering under 400W HPS (1).

Now back to the present time :)
This is my poor closet and place for growing this year - the balcony:

P6130720.JPG

You can see I found a small fan for now and it is cool. The window is open on the right side but it can't be seen here.
I re-potted the plants. Here is the first one which is in 9/10th day after germinating.

P6130725.JPG

P6130726.JPG

This is the second one which is in the 6th day after germinating.

P6130729.JPG

P6130734.JPG

And this is the smallest one which is in 5th day after germinating. I put tape around the cup.

P6130735.JPG

For now they look healthy. I still don't have no fu**ing cent, no money for cfl so that's it for now.
So ... how you like it :) it is poor but that's what I can do. And as I said I am going to keep it under this light till the end of July. I think that till the end of the flowering I'll have nice 2 or 3 plants if they are all fems no more then 1 meter and a half all of them because now it's 18th of June so till september/october they will be no more then 1.60cm let's say. I plan to use some fertilizers from Plagron ( Green Sensation, Enzymes and maybe something else ) because they are the only one fertilizers for ganja here.

Keep on eye on your temps. That is a tiny space with a bunch of flammable stuff nearby. I'd hate to see a fire.

haha, are you using that for your boot drying spot too? or to cover the smell of the MJ? :) happy grows

what do you plan to do when the plants grow more then 12"? top and keep topping? i cant really see from the photos, but how much space is around your lamp? it will generate a bit of heat like bigjack said in that little of a space..

(i had a single 400w hortilux MH in a 10'x12'x10' room and the room stayed a nice 78 degrees)

Edit: does your hood not have a air intake?

:D hehehe no no I don't use that as boot dryer aaahahhaha they just stay there for no reason. By the way the place is not so big but after all it is a balcony, so the plants will have the space they need. I am going to raise the lamp higher as they grow bigger. Minutes ago I put the fan inside the improvised box so the heat is blown out. The temperature is no more then 30 Celsius degrees. I feel the heat around the plant but the fan blows it out so there is no needs of worries.
By the way I have one question. Will, growing plant only with HPS from seed till the end reduce the THC level in the plant ?

No, MiMi. The HPS won't change the THC level. The only bad thing it will do is increase the space between nodes (where the arms come off the main stem.) In veg a MH bulb will give you closer node spacing and you'll get a bigger yield because you'll have more branches and less height. It looks like you did pretty good with all HPS last time!

MiMi, do you see the little triangle with the exclamation mark in the gray bar under each post? Make a new post that says, I am going to move this to journals in progress. Then hit that little triangle under the post to report the post to the moderators. A little box will pop up for you to make a comment about the report. Type in, "Can you please move my thread to journals in progress."

A mod will move this whole thread to journals in progress.

Sure :)

First, read this: How to make a Grow Journal

Then make sure you know how to add pictures with this topic: How to add and resize photos
Then go here: Grow Journals!

If you abandon your journal for an extended period of time, the mods/admins will move it to incomplete. When your grow is finished, just make a note at the end of the journal that it can be moved to completed.

It's a really cool way to show off your talents, ask people questions about your specific problem without having to retype all the info about your plant(s), and the best part, is you can share a review of the cannabis you grew, explaining color, texture, smells, and then a nice smoke review for taste/smell or if you're using it to make oil or salve, a review of what you're using it for, how well it worked, etc..

Hell, you can even give comments and reviews on products or equipment you're using too, and other members can offer suggestions in that area too. Like let's say you're using some new soil, and it's doing awesome for your seedlings, you can tell people in your journal. Or maybe a particular brand of soil was too hot for your seedlings, you can share that too, and get help on what to do next to fix the problem!

I personally really don't like taking pictures, but the grow journals make it a lot more fun :) And most members have links to their journal in their signature, so you can always check out what someone else is doing.

You can learn how to do that, here: How to add a link in your signature!

And most of all, have fun!

EDIT: PeeJay is too damn fast. His idea works too! Whichever you'd like to do, but I'd definitely read the links I gave you for future journals.
:Namaste:

You can do it Antics way, too. But reporting it as I suggested in the last post will get what you have going already moved and you won't have to start over. You are off to a good start.

Hi people ... Few sweet words about the Journal :)

Personally I like it damn much but I am lazy at the moment for doing it so I am going to do my journal here because I am not so sure about that if I'll be present most of the time for posting in the journal so ... But it is so cool, like fanatic Ganja Sektah ahahahahah ....

So here we come today. I am going to post again pictures and you tell me how you think. By my opinion I think that the plants are not growing fast nor normal. I think that they are growing lil bit slow but it goes ok for me because I am looking for height no more then 1.60 meters till the end.

So here is Afrodita - the first plant, 16th day after germinating:

Den-16.JPG

Den-16_1.JPG

Den-16_2.JPG

Here is Perla - the second plant that germinated and is into 13th day of germinating:

Den-13.JPG

Den-13_1.JPG

And here is Karla - the third plant that germinated and is into 12th day of germinating
This plant grows the most slowly because it is still into a small pot and I see the roots all over the cup. Don't worry, the cup is already wrapped with a black tape. I am going to re-pot it tomorrow:

Den-12_2.JPG

Den-12.JPG

Den-12_1.JPG

So guys ? Everything is cool right ? I am planing to use some fertilizers as I said further in the time, lets say 4/5 weeks from now.
I think that the plants are ok just Karla is growing slow but I'll do her life better tomorrow.
As PeeJay said, I confirm it - there is a little bit space between the nodes :) . I see that in Afrodita's plant :) but it is not so bad for me ;) i think that'll slow down after 4/5 weeks. Right ?

looks good, may want to adress the bottom pics if you havent already with black tape as well

sun will penetrate deep a inch or so into the soil making it to where roots wont grow that way feeling up your medium. looking forward to more pics :p

I&i

Looks good, MiMi. I've seen some bigger plants at the same age, and smaller plants at the same age. You're right in the middle - not a bad place to be! They look very healthy and loved.

Back
Top Bottom